Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
ManUtd's also complete club wage bill which includes 100s of other staff and also directors who get handsome money and ambassadors like SAF who earns 2 Million per year.

IIRC City pay their staff thorugh different company or something along that line.
Really? UEFA have no problem with that? That's working around FFP...

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
ManUtd's also complete club wage bill which includes 100s of other staff and also directors who get handsome money and ambassadors like SAF who earns 2 Million per year.

IIRC City pay their staff thorugh different company or something along that line.
For the general management of “City Football Group” then the senior management team will be paid by the group and then a portion of their cost is apportioned out to each club within the group. That’s very normal in business, anybody who works for a big organisation will get head office allocations, it’s exactly the same. Regardless that will only be a small percentage of the City “staff”.

kidbob

Obviously a City team who knew they were through but it was interesting seeing the goals Basel scored tonight. Play through the press by making adventurous passes, risky touches and runs and you leave their defense exposed to a 3 on 3 on a consistent basis. Obviously takes luck and players willing to take a risk but they aren't as good in possession or out of possession as 'that' Barca side. They can be got at undoubtedly. It even took 2 mistakes for Lukaku to serve goals on a plate against us. Great side but, like with Bayern, there's no Messi, Iniesta and Xavi there.

Don't see us as being cohesive enough to take the game to them at this moment but it'll be very interesting to see them against some of the top sides in the Champions League.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Obviously a City team who knew they were through but it was interesting seeing the goals Basel scored tonight. Play through the press by making adventurous passes, risky touches and runs and you leave their defense exposed to a 3 on 3 on a consistent basis. Obviously takes luck and players willing to take a risk but they aren't as good in possession or out of possession as 'that' Barca side. They can be got at undoubtedly. It even took 2 mistakes for Lukaku to serve goals on a plate against us. Great side but, like with Bayern, there's no Messi, Iniesta and Xavi there.

Don't see us as being cohesive enough to take the game to them at this moment but it'll be very interesting to see them against some of the top sides in the Champions League.
I wouldn't read into it too much as tonight there was Yaya in the holding roll which means the press can't be done properly and Foden looked nervous, but in general I agree. The way to beat us, is to take the game to us. And go for it with numbers, the amount of times our fullbacks get caught up the pitch when teams do that is shocking, also if the fullbacks are forced back and unable to push into MF, it means KDB and Silva have to drop deeper making us a little LVG like.

Classical Mechanic

I wouldn't read into it too much as tonight there was Yaya in the holding roll which means the press can't be done properly and Foden looked nervous, but in general I agree. The way to beat us, is to take the game to us. And go for it with numbers, the amount of times our fullbacks get caught up the pitch when teams do that is shocking, also if the fullbacks are forced back and unable to push into MF, it means KDB and Silva have to drop deeper making us a little LVG like.
Was Foden a bit rubbish then?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They are a very good team but I'll say it again, they're are greater than the sum of their parts. Which a way, makes their achievements more impressive.
But frustrates me even more cause I know the gap in the table imo, exceeds the difference in talents between both squads.
I think we have the quality but not sure we have the confidence to play beyond their press.
Mourinho won't risk it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How did Foden look (apart from nervous)?

padr81

Supports
Man City
How did Foden look (apart from nervous)?
Was Foden a bit rubbish then?
Not rubbish but looked a little overawed. Did ok, kind of a 5/10 performance, interestingly yet again when Diaz came on he looked better than Phil. Brought some real spark and looks much more confident at this level. I think Brahim is closer to the first XI than Foden.

Sky gave him a 6 in the ratings and I'd say that's maybe a little generous. They gave the entire team too high a rating. Looked better than Yaya who was really poor I thought and Laporte who looked like he just wasn't arsed. Sane aside I thought the entire team was pretty poor. Truth be told though I probably spent more time watching Spurs and flicking over and back.

kidbob

Totally agree, which is why i put a bit of a disclaimer in my post! I feel you are a great side but as you said teams need to show the confidence to get at you. Easier said then done of course and needs a degree of luck too. I, as a football fan, would love to see you guys play the likes of Madrid or Barca next just to see how far Pep has really brought you (obviously with respect to your performance in the League this year).

padr81

Supports
Man City
Totally agree, which is why i put a bit of a disclaimer in my post! I feel you are a great side but as you said teams need to show the confidence to get at you. Easier said then done of course and needs a degree of luck too. I, as a football fan, would love to see you guys play the likes of Madrid or Barca next just to see how far Pep has really brought you (obviously with respect to your performance in the League this year).
Honestly, I think we'd need the stars to align to beat either. Could see Messi tearing Delph or Zinchenhko apart and Barca are strong defensively now. Madrid I think may be closer but I think they have the know-how, experience and just a higher calibre of player. Bayern too. Liverpool give me nightmares too because they play exactly how a team should to beat us (though we'd be marginal faves).

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Zinchenko is not a left back. He's been unimpressive in every match I've seen him in. Yaya Toure is not gunning for his spot back and Laporte was poor. Jesus doesn't look completely ready.

There was a lot passing from City. In fact they passed way too much (over 1000 passes) but didn't manage to create more than Basel who only had the ball 29% of the time. They pretty much looked like City last season.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
can't really read too much in to dead rubbers, tie was a forgone conclusion.
Be interesting to see how they get on in the next round

breakout67

Supports
Man City
City basically play like an LVG team with their second string. Doesn't really matter in teh grand scheme because theyll have the title wrapped up and so can play their strongest team in the upcoming CL games.

Bwuk

Never watched it but City were already through no point analysing the result or performance.

FujiVice

Made peace with them winning the league but hopefully they go out of form a bit.

Would be awful if they sealed it against us (or even worse, a guard of honour). Stamford Bridge 2006 was bad enough.
Them winning it against us would be far worse than doing a guard of honour. A Guard of Honour is at least a sign of respect to a better team over the last 10 months. I might vomit if they beat us and then did a big fecking celebration afterwards.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
City basically play like an LVG team with their second string. Doesn't really matter in teh grand scheme because theyll have the title wrapped up and so can play their strongest team in the upcoming CL games.
They play like an LVG team with their first string too with better quality, more intelligent wide players and striker.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Them winning it against us would be far worse than doing a guard of honour. A Guard of Honour is at least a sign of respect to a better team over the last 10 months. I might vomit if they beat us and then did a big fecking celebration afterwards.
I just remember the guard of honour Arsenal did for us, and it seemed painful for them.

Both are horrible options. So hopefully neither happens.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Foden was ok, was involved in the build up to the first goal, looked to get in the right spaces but often dwelt on the ball instead of releasing it a bit quicker although he wasn't helped by those around him being a bit static, thing I was most impressed by him was if he misplaced a forward pass he would still try it again, didn't just revert to the safe ball even when some of his forward passes were not coming off and he was losing possesion, wrt yaya for me it's such a shame to see him plodding round the field like he is, he's just turned into an absolute carthorse, can't run with any pace and his passing was pretty awful.

Brahim looked good when he came on, can really see him getting a run of games once the league is won, great touch and doesn't appear phased by anything.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Guardiola’s Man City completed 978 passes against FC Basel ; the most recorded by a side in a Champions League match since 2003-04 [StatsZone Opta]
Pep “We just passed for passing sake. When that happens, that’s not football. You have to pass the ball to attack, and not pass to just pass. I want every move to be smart—every pass accurate–that’s how we make the difference from the rest of the teams''

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Guardiola’s Man City completed 978 passes against FC Basel ; the most recorded by a side in a Champions League match since 2003-04 [StatsZone Opta]
Pep “We just passed for passing sake. When that happens, that’s not football. You have to pass the ball to attack, and not pass to just pass. I want every move to be smart—every pass accurate–that’s how we make the difference from the rest of the teams''
I thnik the team lacked personality yesteray. Manchester City did not have any leaders on the pitch and it showed.

Yaya Toure should be moved on.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
Yaya Toure should be moved on.
Yaya Toure
He gets the ball
he burst forward at breakpatience pace for 3 meters
he passes the ball
Yaya Toure

(he just never got the opportunity to repeat that 3 meter movement all the way to the opposing goal)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I agree with a lot you’ve said in that post to be fair, football will always remember drama over dominance. Absolutely. I always look back to the 11/12 season over the 13/14 in recent memory. It’s just not very relevant to the original question that was initially asked.

People will always have a difference of opinion to the best side ever in PL history, because context is everything. To some the invincibles will be the greatest side, to others the treble winning side based on trophies alone, to others again the Chelsea side of record points. I’m of the view that any side that breaks that record will become part of the discussion, and would become one of my 5 top teams in a discussion that can only possibly include 26 teams come the end of the season.
Er... Yeah?... Take that largely agreeable, mostly objective City fan!

That sure showed you!.... Kinda... I think?

Your point re Sterling is interesting, why does everyone hate him so much, he seems a reasonably well adjusted young man all things considered. There really seems to be a which hunt going on there.
There is. Even as a United fan it'd be remiss of me to ignore it, and the basic racism behind it,

No one gives a shit what Harry Kane spends his money on, but a young black man buying anything luxury (or anything cheap, when he could buy luxury) is an endless source of fascination to the kind of people still annoyed about John Nettles leaving Midsommer Murders.

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
Er... Yeah?... Take that largely agreeable, mostly objective City fan!

That sure showed you!.... Kinda... I think?

There is. Even as a United fan it'd be remiss of me to ignore it, and the basic racism behind it,

No one gives a shit what Harry Kane spends his money on, but a young black man buying anything luxury (or anything cheap, when he could buy luxury) is an endless source of fascination to the kind of people still annoyed about John Nettles leaving Midsommer Murders.

You may be right, however he seems to get singled out far more that other black players.

I have even heard a suggestion that certain elements of the media target him because he left Liverpool, and panderjng to Liverpool fans plays into the narrative following the vetoing of a certain publication by their fans. Seems a bit far fetched but who knows how newspaper editor's minds work.

The press do love to build up a young English player only to knock him down.

haram

At this point them just covering Sterling makes people talk so they will keep doing it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
A lot of the Sterling thing is down to old white teeth absolutely turning him into public enemy no.1 for wanting to leave "great", "historical" etc.. for "oil money". As opposed to the real narrative that a talented young player wanted to leave a top 4 battling team for one who are far more likely to win things and it's just snowballed. It got ridiculous, you had Southampton fans booing him for leaving Liverpool for City, while half there team were leaving them to go to Liverpool.

Feck all will print how after being absolutely slated, having his confidence destroyed and being booed at every ground in the country, the lad has picked himself up, worked hard and benched Bernardo Silva.

Javi

Very interesting
I don't understand. City Football Group is the holding company of Man City, Melbourne City, New York City, Yokohama something, Atlético Torque and FC Girona. Why would that implicate anything on Man City?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't understand. City Football Group is the holding company of Man City, Melbourne City, New York City, Yokohama something, Atlético Torque and FC Girona. Why would that implicate anything on Man City?
I haven’t implied anything, it’s just interesting.

I’d love to see a full breakdown of costs, revenue and P&L of the other clubs within the holding company, because they should all add up to the numbers that the City group is posting.

Javi

I didn't say you did. The way the first tweet was phrased seemed to suggest that there is though. Only thing I take away from these tweets is that the City wage bill increased by £70m from 2016 to 2017. Or what is interesting in your opinion?

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
This is an old financial statement I believe from June. Also if you look at the period it is for 13 months not 12 because City decided to change their accounting year. So it is not really a rise of 70 million to the wage bill.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I haven’t implied anything, it’s just interesting.

I’d love to see a full breakdown of costs, revenue and P&L of the other clubs within the holding company, because they should all add up to the numbers that the City group is posting.
What is interesting about you're posting?

Denis_unwise

A lot of the Sterling thing is down to old white teeth absolutely turning him into public enemy no.1 for wanting to leave "great", "historical" etc.. for "oil money". As opposed to the real narrative that a talented young player wanted to leave a top 4 battling team for one who are far more likely to win things and it's just snowballed.
He left Liverpool due to them being not willing/able to match his pay demands. He has also moved from a big club to a small club. This will all mark him down as a Snake/Mercenary to opposition fans & rightly so.

He may win trophies at City but these gain little credence from opposition players & fans as they have all been bought with your owners money. If he had stayed at Liverpool & won 1 PL it would have had more prestige than winning multiple PL's at City.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He left Liverpool due to them being not willing/able to match his pay demands. He has also moved from a big club to a small club. This will all mark him down as a Snake/Mercenary to opposition fans & rightly so.

He may win trophies at City but these gain little credence from opposition players & fans as they have all been bought with your owners money. If he had stayed at Liverpool & won 1 PL it would have had more prestige than winning multiple PL's at City.
It depends on your definition of big club. One hadn't won the league in 20 odd years, one had 2 titles in 3 years. You can coat it any way you like, Sterling moved for trophies.

And then the bitterness creeps in. Cry me a river and learn your own history with tycoon owners, but all those trophies count right?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What is interesting about you're posting?
Economically, it looks like money laundering - or is very similar to clients who I’ve dealt with who siphon their money across countries to toe the line of financial rules. I’m not suggesting that’s what they’re doing, but it piqued my interest, which is why I said it’d be good to see the breakdown across all their football divisions, because it should add up.
I think they umbrella them under City Football group though, for that reason.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Economically, it looks like money laundering - or is very similar to clients who I’ve dealt with who siphon their money across countries to toe the line of financial rules. I’m not suggesting that’s what they’re doing, but it piqued my interest, which is why I said it’d be good to see the breakdown across all their football divisions, because it should add up.
I think they umbrella them under City Football group though, for that reason.
Not sure I can link the tweet to your comment to be fair. Just because cost % and revenue % don’t align? That’s exactly what you’d expect to see because one club is better equipped to create revenue from its costs (the financial strength of the PL and global reach of City far exceeds the others in the group). £63m in Wages to run various holdings in another couple of clubs seems reasonable, and it’s normal you wouldn’t see the revenue return on that investment given who those clubs are. Would be interested to hear more though if you’ve got other knowledge.

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City

Gosh, that's about as bitter and "unwise" as I have seen on this forum. You discount the racism angle, you discount the sky 4 angle, you discount the Sun pandering to Liverpool fans and you say it is because he went from a, "big club", who have not wont the title in the lads memory to a "small club"who have.

You believe people should vilify the lad for making a sensible decision, "& rightly so", I am truly abhorred by your attitude and it it represents everything that is wrong in society today.