Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm particularly impressed with Gabriel Jesus. For a Brazilian forward he has a surprisingly economical playstyle. Direct and tenacious.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
I don’t get why theyre in for Sanchez when Sterling and Sane have both been solid and Bernardo Silva hasn’t even seen much match time not to mention the lack of playing time Phil Foden will get. I feel like this signing would disrupt their current tactics as Sanchez is a player who loves the ball at his feet, so he’ll take a while perhaps to bed in — yes I know he played under Pep, but still, Pep’s tactics have evolved.

Jason Cutler

Supports
Manchester City
I don’t get why theyre in for Sanchez when Sterling and Sane have both been solid and Bernardo Silva hasn’t even seen much match time not to mention the lack of playing time Phil Foden will get. I feel like this signing would disrupt their current tactics as Sanchez is a player who loves the ball at his feet, so he’ll take a while perhaps to bed in — yes I know he played under Pep, but still, Pep’s tactics have evolved.
Possible reason: safety net for injuries / squad depth and/or as you mentioned familiarity with Pep's style. Plus, if Sanchez comes on a free, or a significantly reduced price, then it's a no-brainer considering Pep wants to win on all comps.

TotalFootballOne

Foden and Bernardo are both midfielder were as Sanchez is a winger/forward. I don't think Pep predicted that Sterling and Sane would score as many goals as they have (they have combined 20 goals + 10 or so assists in 20 games in all competition this season). Sanchez can play almost anywhere in the forward line either wings or striker, which gives him options. Sane/Sterling will also need competition as well as rest eventually. Sanchez is either going to be free or cost them 20-30M.

Pep did say last season before playing Arsenal that he didn't use Sanchez correctly at Barcelona, so we can make whatever of that, but he probably has an idea of what he will expect from him without disrupting the team even if it happens when know he's not shy of discarding said players.

TinFoil

"This is the start now, the media, the refs, the fa, sky sports news, the newspapers, the lot of them are ready to start their combined hatchet job on us.
Let's see how they portray our result tomorrow whatever the outcome is. The war has started. Brace Brace Brace."

Bluemoon:lol:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I admire the optimism of some but anyone that says they aren’t winning the league are kidding themselves.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We just watched City win the league right there lads

Womp

idiot
If they win the title it's purely on Sterling so far. He's won them like a good 9 points on his own. Everything is just going their way. The last minute goals, playing Chelsea without Morata, Liverpool without Mane and against 10 men. They're going to win the title.

cyberman

Why? Its a good sign that they have to work harder and harder for results.
A game where they relied on Southampton to miss sitters then need an OG to open them up plus a 96 minute wonder goal?
Im sorry but its November, maybe if this were the run in when you tick games off but you can't use tonight as a basis to claim the league is over now.

Womp

idiot
Why? Its a good sign that they have to work harder and harder for results.
A game where they relied on Southampton to miss sitters then need an OG to open them up plus a 96 minute wonder goal?
Im sorry but its November, maybe if this were the run in when you tick games off but you can't use tonight as a basis to claim the league is over now.
There's more to it than that - it showed major character, the type you'd see from champions. Their quality is fine, they have too much talent in their squad.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Only team in the league capable of building an attack in the 95th minute with no rush and panic. Every other team would have thrown structure out of the window, and would've hoofed the ball into the box hoping something might come off it.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Sterling and De Bruyne produced in the big moments tonight. Again.

But Huddersfield and now Southampton have shown everyone how to make things difficult for us. It'll be a tricky Christmas period, this, with points being dropped all over the place.

Womp

idiot
Only team in the league capable of building an attack in the 95th minute with no rush and panic. Every other team would have thrown structure out of the window, and would've hoofed the ball into the box hoping something might come off it.
Rubbish, they were doing the same. How many aimless crosses did Walker and KDB try putting in. The only player in their whole team who didn't panic punt the ball into the box was Sterling who played off KDB. He's saved their season multiple times this season and it looks like he's back to his Liverpool form which is extremely annoying.

The United

No team is going to play like they did a few games ago the whole season in England.

So people who expect them to collapse like they did normally around this time might be disappointed because I am. And, they are grinding out results when things get tough and it is never a good news for us.

I still think it is a bit early but I am not going to be overjoyed with how they don't play that great anymore yet get results. In the end, the result will decide who will be champion.

Did you watch the last 15 minutes? Because it was literally just De Bruyne and Walker hoofing aimless balls in to get cleared.

marktan

Yeah, every team barring Chelsea and Liverpool, neither of whom rely on long-balls into the box. You could make a case for Arsenal and Tottenham too.

cyberman

@Womp
Thats all cliches though, we have to judge sides on performances at this stage and through character or not have underperformed and used a get out of jail free card.
We have to treat Utd and City the same way, we criticise Utd after 4-1 wins yet City have lacked that little spark that destroyed sides earlier yet are lauded for their character in a game where we would be destroyed if we did the same.
They're losing their sharpness in front of goal and really seem to miss Stones at the back. Thats the tangible factors that can be analysed.
Plus Sterling has the mentality of a winner.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Last minute winners must bring the worst out of Guardiola. He acted like a cnut when they won at Bournemouth as well.

Stacks

Rubbish, they were doing the same. How many aimless crosses did Walker and KDB try putting in. The only player in their whole team who didn't panic punt the ball into the box was Sterling who played off KDB. He's saved their season multiple times this season and it looks like he's back to his Liverpool form which is extremely annoying.
hes better. I felt he was a bit carried by Suarez and was more a side act. Here he seems to be happy to taking responsibility and his goal tally is far far better

AshRK

Disgraceful behaviour.
I wont read too much into it but I want to see how Pep handles defeat this season. They were just not good today. I can see Jose getting under the skin of Pep. Imagine after wins like this and yet Jose somehow pips him for the league.

Womp

idiot
@Womp
Thats all cliches though, we have to judge sides on performances at this stage and through character or not have underperformed and used a get out of jail free card.
We have to treat Utd and City the same way, we criticise Utd after 4-1 wins yet City have lacked that little spark that destroyed sides earlier yet are lauded for their character in a game where we would be destroyed if we did the same.
They're losing their sharpness in front of goal and really seem to miss Stones at the back. Thats the tangible factors that can be analysed.
Plus Sterling has the mentality of a winner.
I sure hope so, but I don't see it. This City team is reminding me of our last title win. Even if they don't win it on ability, they'll win it on desire.