Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Paul_Scholes18

Everything going for them this season. Sterling just keep on scoring those late goals for them. 8-11 points ahead of us before the derby. If they win that one we got to honestly say they got the title in the bag and it is all about them fecking it up or not at that point to be honest.

Sylar

5 mins of injury time and they score in the 96th minute, sounds about right.
Both teams have the same amount of injury time though. Its no excuse if on team concedes especially when theres a bit of time wasting in the injury time.

I remember one game the ref let us take a corner in the last second, only to blow straight after the player crossed the ball. Can't remember which game, in the last couple years though :lol:
Vaguely remember but didnt something similar happen vs Madrid away. We got a corner, went over to take it, lined everybody up and the ref just blows the whistle. It was mad.

Member 5225

fecking hate it.
However, to be fair, not all down to luck only IMHO - you need to be in positions to be able make your luck and when I watch them a goal down or even when they draw, they just push push push....almost a feeling we had under Fergie; we'll end up getting a late winner.

peridigm

City over the last few weeks have shown they are beatable. Their character can not be questioned though. Fair play to them.

Next two weekends are massive. If they both go City's way, then it's goodnight Vienna.
They will could be ahead anywhere from 2-14 points after the derby. I'm predicting it will stay at 8.

VanGaalEra

Remember Chelsea in 04/05 and everyone said they were going to have a blip, but never seemed to have one.

They did have a blip that season and it was during a period they won a lot of games 1-0 earlier in the season. Maybe this is City’s blip, but they’re still pulling out the results.

Ban

If nothing goals are drying out and they need to score them in the dying seconds. THat 96th minute is working well for them

redahair

Whoosh!

Yes very few talk about the horrendous human rights records of their owners because of thrir project at the Etihad. But that doesn't make it okay.
Their brutal oppression of homosexuality and systemic abuse of female migrant domestic workers should not be overlooked just because we allow them ownershio of one of our clubs. Equating mediaeval, barbaric oligarchs with 'class' is an absolute contradiction of terms.' Don't be taken in by the propaganda exercise. They've spent £2billion of their peoples money on a plastic project to whitewash the brutalist reality of their regime. But as westerners who believe in freedom and democracy we must never forget the suffering of those being oppressed by the Etihad club owners at City.
Embarassing post im gutted they won again in 96th minute but common really?

Elokobi

It was so obvious they'd storm the league. Anyone with half a brain cell could see that from March onwards.

They went out and signed exactly who they needed, got rid of garbage squad players. People laughed when they spent £50M on Walker, look how bloody good he's been. They've got Bernardo Silva on the bench who would start for us for goodness sake. No point harping on about luck when they score these late goals, it wasn't luck when Fergie was doing it week in week out. Pep's football is just sensational, none of that parking the bus nonsense, I am incredibly jealous and there's nothing wrong with that.

Their heavy investement is really starting to pay off, from top to bottom they are an incredibly well ran team. I really wish we had someone like Txixi Bergistan who'd sit at the top and orchestrate everything that goes on with the squad. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already got Fernandinho and Toure replacements sorted already for next summer.

sk6blue

Supports
Manchester City
It was so obvious they'd storm the league. Anyone with half a brain cell could see that from March onwards.

They went out and signed exactly who they needed, got rid of garbage squad players. People laughed when they spent £50M on Walker, look how bloody good he's been. They've got Bernardo Silva on the bench who would start for us for goodness sake. No point harping on about luck when they score these late goals, it wasn't luck when Fergie was doing it week in week out. Pep's football is just sensational, none of that parking the bus nonsense, I am incredibly jealous and there's nothing wrong with that.

Their heavy investement is really starting to pay off, from top to bottom they are an incredibly well ran team. I really wish we had someone like Txixi Bergistan who'd sit at the top and orchestrate everything that goes on with the squad. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already got Fernandinho and Toure replacements sorted already for next summer.
Have to say I was surprised at the time that Ferguson retired that United didn't appoint a DoF, either the man himself or someone else within the club as he was effectively fulfilling that role already such was his status. It was always going to be a difficult transition going from a manager who'd won everything and been in place for 20+ years but I think it would've gone a lot smoother if there was an experienced head in place overseeing the long-term football strategy of the club. It seemed like maybe they didn't want to go that route because they didn't need a DoF when Ferguson was in charge but in hindsight I think it would've definitely been beneficial.

SER19

Sterling bending a stoppage time winner into the top corner, mad celebrations, the stuff of champions...

.....in front of a shit ton of empty seats :lol: :lol:

SER19

Remember Chelsea in 04/05 and everyone said they were going to have a blip, but never seemed to have one.

They did have a blip that season and it was during a period they won a lot of games 1-0 earlier in the season. Maybe this is City’s blip, but they’re still pulling out the results.

I also remember that that team did not go on to dominate for years, in Europe either and were largely disbanded about three years later. People are getting too worked up about city. Clear favourites this year but there's no risk of prolonged success or dominance with short term manager at helm

minoo-utd

Pep stayed at Barcelona 4 years as far as i remember i think he will not stay more than that at city and i also think he can only win the prem once maybe this year they are exceptional but we still have to wait still 24 games to play if we grab a win against Arsenal then we will go the derby with v.good spirit. So game by game from now if after the next 2 games we are 5 points behind them then Jose will catch Pep for me the next 2 games are somehow season defining as it early as it is but hopefully not to be 10+ pts behind then we will be fighting between 2nd and 4th. Players must play with everything they have hope we are injury free.

Brightonian

fecking Sterling. Is that his third last-gasp winner in three matches?

I'd say 'maybe that's a sign they're about to not play as well for a while', but probably those three matches were it. They'll be back to churning out 6-0s again now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also remember that that team did not go on to dominate for years, in Europe either and were largely disbanded about three years later. People are getting too worked up about city. Clear favourites this year but there's no risk of prolonged success or dominance with short term manager at helm
Uhm, what? That team lost two CL SF to a phantom goal and penalties, went out to the eventual winners after one of their players decided to get sent off in the first leg at home, then went one slip from winning the CL, lost another SF to a stoppage time goal and a dodgy ref, then finally won the CL. All the while, they won another PL title and finished twice runners-up to the best side(or at least most talented) of the PL era...

If it weren't for Cristiano fecking Ronaldo Chelsea win 4-6 PL titles on the bounce and probably grab a CL or two in process as well...

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
I remember one game the ref let us take a corner in the last second, only to blow straight after the player crossed the ball. Can't remember which game, in the last couple years though :lol:
Real Madrid away?

SER19

Uhm, what? That team lost two CL SF to a phantom goal and penalties, went out to the eventual winners after one of their players decided to get sent off in the first leg at home, then went one slip from winning the CL, lost another SF to a stoppage time goal and a dodgy ref, then finally won the CL. All the while, they won another PL title and finished twice runners-up to the best side(or at least most talented) of the PL era...

If it weren't for Cristiano fecking Ronaldo Chelsea win 4-6 PL titles on the bounce and probably grab a CL or two in process as well...
Not really. The team you're talking about won two titles in a row with sheer dominance. Then played second fiddle to united and by 09 were messing around with scolari as manager. They won the champions league 8 years later after lots of change. They did not develop into a totally dominant team the way it looked like they might while walking to two titles. Same will be said of city

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really. The team you're talking about won two titles in a row with sheer dominance. Then played second fiddle to united and by 09 were messing around with scolari as manager. They won the champions league 8 years later after lots of change. They did not develop into a totally dominant team the way it looked like they might while walking to two titles. Same will be said of city
They didn't continue their dominance because 1) Cristiano-Rooney 2) Fergie 3) They sacked Mourinho at the beginning of a season for no reason 4) Bad luck

The 2009/10 team was still carried by the same Cech-Terry-Essien-Lampard-Drogba spine (and indeed, so did the 2012 team more or less)

Of course at the end of the day they failed to dominate their era, and likely so will city. But that chelsea team remained pretty fecking great for 6 years before age and some bad boardroom decisions caught up with them

deafepl

Chelsea certainly has an important player that guided them to win many games. it's not our fault that we have Ronaldo. I'm going with that by your logic, United could dominate the champions league from 2007-2011 in a row if it wasn't for a slip and Messi's team, Fergie's United had a two slip during the 2006-07 semi-final and 2009-10 quarter-final vs Bayern.

Historically United fought back off with Arsenal first, Chelsea secondly and City thirdly for dominance during 1992-2013. As soon as United collapsed in 2013-14, EPL lost its dominance. United is getting back on track slowly. City and United are only teams that will challenge a dominance era in EPL but at the moment, United seem capable of doing that and City failed to do that when they had a chance in 2013-14 after taking advantages of United's decline.

Hawks2008

I think the only thing that annoys me more than the media creaming about them at every turn is the amount of Barca fans I have seen on social media adopt City as almost a second team. Considering how much many of them called PSG a petrol club/plastic club during they Neymar saga it's astonishing how much they lick City's arse. The bald cnut's fans really are a cult.

I think the only thing that annoys me more than the media creaming about them at every turn is the amount of Barca fans I have seen on social media adopt City as almost a second team. Considering how much many of them called PSG a petrol club/plastic club during they Neymar saga it's astonishing how much they lick City's arse. The bald cnut's fans really are a cult.
The Bayern fans as well, they're hilarious in the gameweek threads

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

I remember Newcastle having a 12 point lead. I also remembered who finished champions.

Im older now. So remember. It's not Christmas yet. The fast dogs run early. Let's be trackers and run them down!
City will win it. But bite their legs! And if they fall pounce.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Fair play to them, they're showing excellent character, perhaps the only positive we can take is that they're showing signs of vulnerablities and not being like early season city.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I’ve had people tell me in the past that I really am a cult. At least, that’s what I think they said.

Dr. StrangeHate

Sterling bending a stoppage time winner into the top corner, mad celebrations, the stuff of champions...

.....in front of a shit ton of empty seats :lol: :lol:
Empty seats don't matter at this stage. These performances are what is sealing them the future generation of fans. They will have these filled in ten years time with real fans not fake stadium sellouts like they have now.
Also this is their blip and they are scoring late winners in them. If this is not the stuff of champions, what is?

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern

Didn’t Txiki buy a bunch of dross for City before Guardiola came along?

Wilfried Bony was a truly abysmal signing.

NK86

Dickhead.

Hopefully the cnut will be even more stressed out by the time our game comes around.
He is already losing it. He will have a proper meltdown at least once during the Christmas fixtures pile up.

VanGaalEra

I remember Newcastle having a 12 point lead. I also remembered who finished champions.

Im older now. So remember. It's not Christmas yet. The fast dogs run early. Let's be trackers and run them down!
City will win it. But bite their legs! And if they fall pounce.
Funnily enough, when we tracked Newcastle down, we also had a string of 1-0 wins.

Marcky411

Well I for one will want to see the moment luck runs out and how they handle disappointment. Lets be honest, previous game a dubious penalty, deflection goal for the win. Now 5 minutes extra time (from where?) and then scoring the late winner in the 96th minute. This isn't the first time this has happened scoring goals in time added onto added time. Curious to know how long the match would've carried on if Sterling didn't score in the 96th minute.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Funnily enough, when we tracked Newcastle down, we also had a string of 1-0 wins.
Didn't United also have a couple of games in hand when Newcastle was 12 points clear in 96?

Used to know a site that did historical week by week tables but can't find it.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Well I for one will want to see the moment luck runs out and how they handle disappointment. Lets be honest, previous game a dubious penalty, deflection goal for the win. Now 5 minutes extra time (from where?) and then scoring the late winner in the 96th minute. This isn't the first time this has happened scoring goals in time added onto added time. Curious to know how long the match would've carried on if Sterling didn't score in the 96th minute.
there were 4 (+2 mins) substitutions, 2 goals (+2 mins) an injury to Cedric (+1 min) in about the 88th min for a couple of min coupled with Soton timewasting for the whole of the second half, considering the goal went in on 95:04 I think if saved that would have been the last kick of the game.

VanGaalEra

Last edited:

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
there were 4 (+2 mins) substitutions, 2 goals (+2 mins) an injury to Cedric (+1 min) in about the 88th min for a couple of min coupled with Soton timewasting for the whole of the second half, considering the goal went in on 95:04 I think if saved that would have been the last kick of the game.
Time wasting the whole second half??? Now I look at this sort of comment and really have to wonder whether City fans know anything at all about football. Why would we be wasting time the whole second half when we had gone behind after 77 seconds?? That's just asinine. Sure, we slowed it down. Sure, we were defensive and tried to hit on the break.

City supporters and the manager are just being idiotic in whinging that they were not allowed to play their expansive football and smash in a 5-0 result. Well feck me, I'm so sorry that some clubs have the temerity to try and counter that and not go toe to toe. Maybe if we had lots of players that cost £50m or were being paid £150k+ a week we might have been able to be more expansive, but fella, you need to take your head out of your arse and see what the Premier League is. Them and us. You are part of them and over the past 5 years have spent £600m net. Us lot cut our teeth more prosaically That you seem to be criticising us for playing to our strengths rather than yours shows how detached you really are from football.