Manchester United 3:1 Crystal Palace (Tue 19th July, 11:10 UK time)

saik

Haha, MUTV saying it's winter. We're in the middle of July ffs, are they already on the drink? :lol:
Erm.. they are playing in Australia. We had the same discussion during the last match as well.

Hoof the ball

Interesting to note that ETH prefers Maguire to be on the right side of central defence. Makes me think Maguire as RCB and Martinez as the LCB are his first choice with Varane for Maguire and Lindelof for Martinez as the backups.
Varane as backup for Maguire? That's not a world I want to live in.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
These MUTV commentators :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gardner is is banging on about how ironic it is that its hot in manchester and freezing cold in Melbourne? Its the feckin antipodean -- southern hemisphere so its middle of winter. Have they not realised this yet?

Tour Argentina and I bet Stewart will be banging on about how surprisingly cold it is in Buenos Aires.

Teja

Was hoping for Iqbal / McT but it's Donny in the deeper role which could be interesting too.

GMoore23

Find it strange how everyone but ole prefers dalot… Solskjær was always talking about attacking football yet he was the one that used the most defensive full back.
Ole really wasn't an attacking coach though however much he talked about it. He was actually very much like Mourinho.
We were at our best under him when we sat back and hit on the counter. That's why he loved players like Fred, McTominay and Bissaka.

Robbie Boy

Being you, there is still the potential of his defending improving esp postioning.
He has a very long way to go, and the chances of him making it here are relatively slim. However, he's worth a shot, and it'll be interesting to see what a manager like ETH can do with him. Ralf - trigger alert - obviously saw something in him last season.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

These MUTV commentators :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gardner is is banging on about how ironic it is that its hot in manchester and freezing cold in Melbourne? Its the feckin antipodean -- southern hemisphere so its middle of winter. Have they not realised this yet?

Tour Argentina and I bet Stewart will be banging on about how surprisingly cold it is in Buenos Aires.
To be fair the point they’re making is it’s not the stereotypical image of either country, it’s not meant to be a geography lesson;)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was hoping for Iqbal / McT but it's Donny in the deeper role which could be interesting too.
Would be a bit unfair to make a 19 year old do the job of 2 players.

saik

Varane as backup for Maguire? That's not a world I want to live in.
Not my preference as well but certainly looks like it as how Maguire is our captain and Varane can't stay fit for more than a month.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
For some reason I watched the highlights from our David Moyes pre-season tour. Holy moly, no surprise we had such a disastrous campaign. Moye's could not have asked for a better line-up of fixtures in Asia and we still struggled, not to mention being turned over at OT by Sevilla 3-1on our return.

Chief123

Frenkie would be the same.

Frenkie is one of my favourite players but some have the wrong idea about him. His passing isn't a big strength of his. It's quite limited. What he brings is press resistance. He will not lose the ball under pressure which brings a whole new level of calm and composure to the team, which we're in dire need of.

He will annoy a lot of people. He takes a lot of touches before passing, turning when he feels there are no quick short passing options. I love it, though.
Sometimes I wonder if people like you just make stuff up just to take part in a thread.

If you think FDJ’s passing is limited and not his strength then I honestly don’t believe you’ve ever watched him or you been watching with your eyes closed.

Dante

Average bang
McTominay wasn't playing in a deep role today. VdB will be box-to-box if it's a straight switch.

From the looks of it, it's Fred's job to drop in the backline and progress the ball up the pitch. He's doing De Jong's job.

Raw

For some reason I watched the highlights from our David Moyes pre-season tour. Holy moly, no surprise we had such a disastrous campaign. Moye's could not have asked for a better line-up of fixtures in Asia and we still struggled, not to mention being turned over at OT by Sevilla 3-1on our return.
That was Rio's testimonial too.

Tibs

What do you lot think of Bruno this pre-season?

He's done ok, nothing brilliant, nothing terrible...just ok...would be nice to see him get a couple of goals soon

Teja

McTominay wasn't playing in a deep role today. VdB will be box-to-box if it's a straight switch.
VdB only got tried at #10 so far, so it's deeper than his usual position.

Anyway, McT wasn't but I think Donny might be asked to play the deep with with Fred pushing up. Let's see.