Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Matt851

Easiest job in the world. Do nothing on player identification just leave it all to the manager, no need to negotiate with players if you just give them what they want, sort transfer fees by continually raising bids until the team feels they are unable to reject it. Jobs a good un

It's a bit like when rishi sunak was chancellor during covid and had limitless funds to through around

Anustart89

Well yes, but people are also thinking of how hard it is for us to move failed signings on because of the well above market rate wages United tend to pay.

I’m pretty confident Mount will do well for us, but in the event that he does flop, those huge wages (if true) will make it hard to get rid of him.
So we should've offered him £150k, he'd have told us to feck off and took the £200k from Chelsea and then we wouldn't need to think about moving him on. Clever!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So we should've offered him £150k, he'd have told us to feck off and took the £200k from Chelsea and then we wouldn't need to think about moving him on. Clever!
Offer him the same wages (200k) and CL footy.

If he didn’t want it save the deal for a player who does.

He isn’t worth 250k a week and it sets an awful precedent.

Anustart89

Offer him the same wages (200k) and CL footy.

If he didn’t want it save the deal for a player who does.

He isn’t worth 250k a week and it sets an awful precedent.
First of all, if we'd given him £200k/w people would've been moaning anyway because they think that we should've given him £120k or something.

That being said, I'm not sure it's a given that he'd moved for the same wages considering he's taking a risk by moving into a new environment where he doesn't have the benefit of being 2 times POTY. Plus he needs to move house, potentially move away from his family and adjust to a new city. To do that without getting a pay rise is not a guarantee.

The limits you've set (give him 200k but 250 is an awful precedent) are completely arbitrary too. How did you come up with that?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
A couple of months ago:
Go, go Murtough rangers, solving the wage problem crisis at United and showing the doubters up.

Today:
£250k +£50k bonus per week for average Mason Mount, a second consecutive signing which demolishes the purported 'new' wage structure.

Response/explanation:
Why do you care, it's not your money?

Some of you are genuinely bipolar or complete hypocrites.

Woziak

Sack this fecking donkey. Offering Mason fecking mount 300k. I hope the first thing the new owners do is bin this absolute useless director.
Looking at Al Thani brother instagram post, maybe this was something proposed behind the scene, because is SJ bid wins, there will be no Pay ceilings and upper wage limit, their philosophy will be in 2/3 transfer windows 25-27 quality players all on an average of £200-250k per week that’s about £325m per week just for senior mens team, meaning our wage bill with coaches, youth, woman’s etc would be £425m so our revenue would have to grow to £750m per year with a few Qatar Airways sponsorships and a new stadium highly likely.

Shiva87

Don’t trust the reports on wages. It’s so obvious now that the journos just need to find a way to make us sound bad, and this is their latest trick.

I’ll be surprised if he is anywhere near the wages being reported. It’s like every signing - it’s the same story. Our transfer fees and wages inflate every hour till they can’t do that no more and we have moved on to the next signing.

tomorrow his wages will be 400k making him the highest earner at the club

Rhyme Animal

First of all, if we'd given him £200k/w people would've been moaning anyway because they think that we should've given him £120k or something.

That being said, I'm not sure it's a given that he'd moved for the same wages considering he's taking a risk by moving into a new environment where he doesn't have the benefit of being 2 times POTY. Plus he needs to move house, potentially move away from his family and adjust to a new city. To do that without getting a pay rise is not a guarantee.

The limits you've set (give him 200k but 250 is an awful precedent) are completely arbitrary too. How did you come up with that?
The things you’ve listed - moving house etc are the same with every transfer, it doesn’t mean you break your wage structure ffs.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he’s worth 200k a week, but obviously his offer from Chelsea has to be matched.

250 rising to 300k a week for Mount, if true, is fecking insane, it’s Salah wages for a solid midfield player who’s coming off a poor season and pointing that out is fine.

It’s one thing to want Mount at Utd for 55m, it’s another to have no issue with Arnold chucking 250-300 fecking k at him.

I want Mount to succeed, I hope he does. But even at his very best, is he worth straining the wage structure for? Not imo, but whatever, we can’t control it can we.

But whoever’s handing these contracts out needs to go.

lex talionis

Whatever the truth may be, United does not convey the impression of mastery of player personnel management.

glasgow 21

I think it awful, terrible that we actually bought a player.

Where do we go from here!!!!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Need someone to identify genuine top talent. We’re just chasing everyone Ten Hag has seen play in the Eredivise, and many of them are fecking average. Guys like Edu are identifying young, hungry and talented players. Ten Hag needs to be kept far away from this shit as possible, clearly his television only has one channel. This is Manchester United. Money and prestige is there to go after the very best. If he wanted to manage a Spurs squad he should have joined them.

Halftrack

Need someone to identify genuine top talent. We’re just chasing everyone Ten Hag has seen play in the Eredivise, and many of them are fecking average. Guys like Edu are identifying young, hungry and talented players. Ten Hag needs to be kept far away from this shit as possible, clearly his television only has one channel. This is Manchester United. Money and prestige is there to go after the very best. If he wanted to manage a Spurs squad he should have joined them.
Edu, like Klopp, identified Mount as well. Arsenal settled for Havertz and Liverpool Mac Allister, because Mount preferred us.

But hey, much more fun to pretend the clubs is completely incompetent and EtH is only signing players he wanted at Ajax and knows nothing outside of that.

Rhyme Animal

Edu, like Klopp, identified Mount as well. Arsenal settled for Havertz and Liverpool Mac Allister, because Mount preferred us.

But hey, much more fun to pretend the clubs is completely incompetent and EtH is only signing players he wanted at Ajax and knows nothing outside of that.
No offence but if you think the dippers snapped up Mac for 35m because Mount preferred Utd you’re delusional.

Mac Allister for 20m less than Mount seems to me to be a drastically better deal. Hope I’m proven wrong.

OverratedOpinion

Ahh that's why Ten Hag wanted mount. It was his half a season in Holland as a teenager. Klopp probably only wanted him because he was doing an undercover boss role at Go Ahead Eagles at the time.

Teja

Go, go Murtough rangers, solving the wage problem crisis at United and showing the doubters up.
What did he ever do to solve the wage problem at United? They wanted to keep Ronnie until he threw a fit, seemingly wanted to keep DDG around, gave out monster contracts to basically all our starters (Varane, Casemiro, Martial, Rashford, you name it).

He not exactly doing a Laporta.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Very little to suggest that those guys made any real pursuit of Mason Mount. And Klopp ‘settled’ for Macallister months ago by all accounts, the pursuit was no secret.

And that Ten Hag is largely pursuing players who have set foot in the mighty Eredivise, or are Dutch is beyond dispute. There’s no pretending in it. He’s clearly a very good coach, but he’d give himself the best chance of succeeding if he actually went for the top players or at least the top talents. Eriksen is spent, Malacia is rubbish and there are huge question marks around Antony (although I personally have faith there). Mason Mount is better, but surely we can do better than him? Caicedo is, to me, quite evidently a bigger calibre of talent to Mount and someone who will make the difference at the top end of the league. I wish Brighton had loaned him to Holland instead of Belgium!

Revaulx

Eh?

The OP was asking why United fans were bothered about the fees and salaries we pay. I merely suggested one reason: that the latter in particular is a major factor in why we struggle to move on failed signings.

Anyone suggesting that we shouldn’t pay players the market rate (which, for someone like Mount, is going to be north of £200k) is clearly deluded. It does seem that we often end up paying over the odds though, which ends up causing issues later on.

Any reported figures need to be treated with a degree of scepticism in any case. The £55m + add ons fee is being reported by Sky as £65m :rolleyes:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ahh that's why Ten Hag wanted mount. It was his half a season in Holland as a teenager. Klopp probably only wanted him because he was doing an undercover boss role at Go Ahead Eagles at the time.
Yep. Apparently been chasing him ever since. Who knows to what degree Klopp wanted him, there was no real move so no point in such comparison.

OverratedOpinion

Yep. Apparently been chasing him ever since. Who knows to what degree Klopp wanted him, there was no real move so no point in such comparison.
Surely believing that Ten Hag wanted Mount based on a few months in Holland rather than the fact that he has gone on to be the player of the year twice for Chelsea, been one of the most important players winning them the Champions league and become an England international is very frail attempt at painting Ten Hag as someone who can't see past the Dutch league.

I'd bet good money that we won't sign a player from the Dutch league this summer. Name a bet if you'd like.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Surely believing that Ten Hag wanted Mount based on a few months in Holland rather than the fact that he has gone on to be the player of the year twice for Chelsea, been one of the most important players winning them the Champions league and become an England international is very frail attempt at painting Ten Hag as someone who can't see past the Dutch league.

I'd bet good money that we won't sign a player from the Dutch league this summer. Name a bet if you'd like.
It’s not ‘frail’ at all, it is being unsurprised by well-informed journalists literally saying that Ten Hag was first drawn to Mount at Vitesse and tried to sign him for Ajax. Of course, he’s then targeted him at Manchester United.

That’s the journey. That’s what the reports have said. Mason Mount spotted at Vitesse. And if we can’t get him perhaps we’ll try and sign Taylor fecking Booth from Utrecht instead.

Your bet makes little sense. It’s a made up metric. If ‘signing a player from the Dutch league’ was my point, I obviously wouldn’t be using Mason Mount, who plays for Chelsea, to make it. So read my post again and ask yourself what the Dutch connection I’m inferring with Mason Mount is - and then feel free to offer a bet using those same parameters. By all reports, you would probably lose that by next week!

OverratedOpinion

It’s not ‘frail’ at all, it is being unsurprised by well-informed journalists literally saying that Ten Hag was first drawn to Mount at Vitesse and tried to sign him for Ajax. Of course, he’s then targeted him at Manchester United.

That’s the journey. That’s what the reports have said. Mason Mount spotted at Vitesse. And if we can’t get him perhaps we’ll try and sign Taylor fecking Booth from Utrecht instead.

Your bet makes little sense. It’s a made up metric. If ‘signing a player from the Dutch league’ was my point, I obviously wouldn’t be using Mason Mount, who plays for Chelsea, to make it. So read my post again and ask yourself what the Dutch connection I’m inferring with Mason Mount is - and then feel free to offer a bet using those same parameters. By all reports, you would probably lose that by next week!
Your "point" discounts everything that Mason Mount has done since he left Vitesse which makes him a sensible signing.

If he had just come off a good 6 months at Vitesse I doubt Ten Hag would be interested. You don't actually have a point is the problem, you have the vague knowledge that Mount once went on loan to Holland for a few months and you're trying to make it fit some view of Ten Hag being a problem for our transfer strategy.

He clearly signed Eriksen because he played for Ajax a decade ago. Not because he was one of the best midfielders in the Prem over the last 10 years, was on a free and just had a brilliant spell at Brentford.

He signed Mount because of 6 months at Vitesse.

Martinez was a huge mistake clearly.

It's all just silly.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Very little to suggest that those guys made any real pursuit of Mason Mount. And Klopp ‘settled’ for Macallister months ago by all accounts, the pursuit was no secret.

And that Ten Hag is largely pursuing players who have set foot in the mighty Eredivise, or are Dutch is beyond dispute. There’s no pretending in it. He’s clearly a very good coach, but he’d give himself the best chance of succeeding if he actually went for the top players or at least the top talents. Eriksen is spent, Malacia is rubbish and there are huge question marks around Antony (although I personally have faith there). Mason Mount is better, but surely we can do better than him? Caicedo is, to me, quite evidently a bigger calibre of talent to Mount and someone who will make the difference at the top end of the league. I wish Brighton had loaned him to Holland instead of Belgium!
I'm sure he'd be thrilled to hear your brilliant insights in to his mind and you ideas as to how to best build his team. You'd be an invaluable resource.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Your "point" discounts everything that Mason Mount has done since he left Vitesse which makes him a sensible signing.

If he had just come off a good 6 months at Vitesse I doubt Ten Hag would be interested. You don't actually have a point is the problem, you have the vague knowledge that Mount once went on loan to Holland for a few months and you're trying to make it fit some view of Ten Hag being a problem for our transfer strategy.
You’re again making things up, and seemingly refusing to read what I wrote. I repeat - well respected journalists have literally said that Ten Hag became interested in Mount having seen him at Vitesse and also tried to sign him at Ajax. Those journalists were not Rozay from the caf. Rozay from the caf simply read those reports and expressed his views on them.

I’m not trying to make anything fit anything. Only those in denial will refuse to acknowledge a pattern with our ‘transfer strategy’.

OverratedOpinion

You’re again making things up, and seemingly refusing to read what I wrote. I repeat - well respected journalists have literally said that Ten Hag became interested in Mount having seen him at Vitesse and also tried to sign him at Ajax. Those journalists were not Rozay from the caf. Rozay from the caf simply read those reports and expressed his views on them.

I’m not trying to make anything fit anything. Only those in denial will refuse to acknowledge a pattern with our ‘transfer strategy’.
I'm really not, you just aren't understanding what I'm saying.

Let me put it in qoutes.

"I do not care where a coach first develops an interest in a player as long as there is a good reason to sign them. Whether Ten Hag first saw Mount in Holland, Spain or Timbuktu he has proven himself a top player over the last few years. Which I'm going to give Ten Hag enough credit to say that he took note of before signing him."

Casemiro - Raving Success
Martinez - Raving Success
Malacia - Absolutely fine as a backup who cost basically nothing and is young.
Eriksen - Not for me but I reckon he was more brought due to being one of the best midfielders in the Prem in the last 10 years, being on a free and just having had a great run at Brentford. Rather than playing for Ajax a decade ago.
Antony - Would agree with you if he is your point of contention. Still has work to do. A lot of promise and important goals mind.

Mount - I believe he is a very good player and fits what we need perfectly. We will see.

I'm just really struggling to see the problem. The Antony thing is the only one I'd question whether he just really loved him cause he was at Ajax but I think a lot of the gripes are that we overpaid which is down to the board trying to negotiate then giving in and paying more than the original price. Nothing to do with Ten Hag.

If you're hoping we will be like Brighton and find players for 500k who turn into brilliant prem players it'll never really happen as we are Man Utd. We are being quoted 70 million for the striker from Atalanta after he scored 9 goals in the Serie A (He never played in Holland you'll be pleased to know). If we weren't interested and West Ham went in for him they would probably get him for 25. It's unfortunate but again not Ten Hags fault.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm really not, you just aren't understanding what I'm saying.

Let me put it in qoutes.

"I do not care where a coach first develops an interest in a player as long as there is a good reason to sign them. Whether Ten Hag first saw Mount in Holland, Spain or Timbuktu he has proven himself a top player over the last few years. Which I'm going to give Ten Hag enough credit to say that he took note of before signing him."

Casemiro - Raving Success
Martinez - Raving Success
Malacia - Absolutely fine as a backup who cost basically nothing and is young.
Eriksen - Not for me but I reckon he was more brought due to being one of the best midfielders in the Prem in the last 10 years, being on a free and just having had a great run at Brentford. Rather than playing for Ajax a decade ago.
Antony - Would agree with you if he is your point of contention. Still has work to do. A lot of promise and important goals mind.

Mount - I believe he is a very good player and fits what we need perfectly. We will see.

I'm just really struggling to see the problem. The Antony thing is the only one I'd question whether he just really loved him cause he was at Ajax but I think a lot of the gripes are that we overpaid which is down to the board trying to negotiate then giving in and paying more than the original price. Nothing to do with Ten Hag.

If you're hoping we will be like Brighton and find players for 500k who turn into brilliant prem players it'll never really happen as we are Man Utd. We are being quoted 70 million for the striker from Atalanta after he scored 9 goals in the Serie A (He never played in Holland you'll be pleased to know). If we weren't interested and West Ham went in for him they would probably get him for 25. It's unfortunate but again not Ten Hags fault.
And I’ll say that he hasn’t proven himself enough of a top player to warrant this tunnel vision aggressive approach. If not for the fact that he’s clearly a favourite. On an open market, with a willingness to spend 60m on a CM (who isn’t even a fecking CM but I’ll save that point for a different argument one day) - there are surely better options than Mason Mount.

And yes, Casemiro has been a raving success (surprise surprise), as has Martinez. Malacia is not fine, he’s actually rubbish, the fact that he didn’t cost loads doesn’t make him play better, and even as a ‘back up’, he had contrived to het himself demoted from even that post by the end of the season, with a RB instead being preferred at LB to him. Antony has huge question marks, Eriksen (another non real central midfielder for that other conversation) is spent. And of course, you failed to mention that he brought Wout fecking Weghorst here.

OverratedOpinion

And I’ll say that he hasn’t proven himself enough of a top player to warrant this tunnel vision aggressive approach. If not for the fact that he’s clearly a favourite. On an open market, with a willingness to spend 60m on a CM (who isn’t even a fecking CM but I’ll save that point for a different argument one day) - there are surely better options than Mason Mount.

And yes, Casemiro has been a raving success (surprise surprise), as has Martinez. Malacia is not fine, he’s actually rubbish, the fact that he didn’t cost loads doesn’t make him play better, and even as a ‘back up’, he had contrived to het himself demoted from even that post by the end of the season, with a RB instead being preferred at LB to him. Antony has huge question marks, Eriksen (another non real central midfielder for that other conversation) is spent. And of course, you failed to mention that he brought Wout fecking Weghorst here.
Mount is excellent and has all the attributes to play the 8 in a midfield 3. His defensive stats are brilliant and he is very good at carrying the ball and a very good passer.

I just saw in the Ten Hag thread that you seem to have wanted us to sign Caicedo rather than Mount which tells me we are very far apart on how we see the game to the point that it's difficult to even discuss. Caicedo and Casemiro in a team looking to dominate the ball would be absurd in my opinion. The ultimate Jose signing.

Luckily you will still get to enjoy Mount giving us very good performances and us taking the next step as a team having a working midfield, a goalkeeper who was born with feet and a defence who can play through a press.

Malacia is not a bad player. Not a hill I'll die on as he's a young backup player but he's absolutely fine.

I also don't really think the January signings are worth talking about as they were desperation loans due to budget constraints.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Hopefully bonuses that are hard to achieve like goals + trophies and not appearances or whatever.
Really don’t understand that. He looks a good player who could help the collective but why do we pay top player wages for players who haven’t earned the right ? It as if anyone the Glazers hire is hellbent on making the exact same mistakes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

You're a good poster mate and this doesn't suit you. You contribute towards the football discussion on the forum and I enjoy reading your posts. But I think you're allowing your frustration to cloud your judgement.

Samuel Luckhurst reported that ten Hag wanted Dean Henderson at Ajax but it doesn't look like Henderson is going to get #1 spot.

And Edu and Arteta at Arsenal finished 8th, 8th , 5th in their first three years together. And players like
Pepe (Edu), David Luiz, Willian, Pablo Mari, Tavares, Ben White, Lokonga, Denis Suarez (loan) etc are just some of the duds they signed imo.

And even when Arsenal finished 2nd, the Arsenal youtuber below is still angry at the likes of Edu and Arteta for not getting their #1 target Mason Mount and signing Kai Havertz instead.

Matt851

Really don’t understand that. He looks a good player who could help the collective but why do we pay top player wages for players who haven’t earned the right ? It as if anyone the Glazers hire is hellbent on making the exact same mistakes.
Because we are man utd and any player that comes has to be on a massive wage to show how big a club we are, regardless of their ability

onemanarmy

On 21 March 2022 he is presented as Director of Football by Royal Antwerp, causing the withdrawal of four sponsors of the club the same week.[5]
Yeah, and in the meantime they became champions for the first time in 60 years, won the cup and play CL football. The guy made a mistake, was fired for it. Not saying I want him at Utd, far from it.

RedOrange

Can't argue with any of this. I suppose Haaland is shite too because he once took a flight that landed at Schiphol.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Easiest job in the world. Do nothing on player identification just leave it all to the manager, no need to negotiate with players if you just give them what they want, sort transfer fees by continually raising bids until the team feels they are unable to reject it. Jobs a good un

It's a bit like when rishi sunak was chancellor during covid and had limitless funds to through around
They're so bad at it I suspect something shady. It's incompetence or fraud.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mason Mount is a champions league winning player who has been signed from one of the biggest clubs in European football where he rejected a £200k a week wage. He would've got in excess of £200k a week at whichever club he chose. If the player was from Brighton, then I'd be surprised if we gave him a high salary because Brighton players are on lower wages in comparison to the players at the top clubs. Arsenal are reportedly paying Gabriel Jesus £265k a week after they signed him from Man City. United's problem has been giving players big contracts who haven't shown anything at a high level (EPL/UCL) or were fringe players like Jones and Bailly.

pascell

A couple of months ago:

Today:
£250k +£50k bonus per week for average Mason Mount, a second consecutive signing which demolishes the purported 'new' wage structure.

Response/explanation:
Why do you care, it's not your money?

Some of you are genuinely bipolar or complete hypocrites.
Or some of us have always maintained the guy is genuinely clueless and severely out of his depth.