Manchester United vs AC Milan Sat 3rd August, 17:36 UK time

jesperjaap

There's a timidity to Mata, Matic, Pereira and Martial's game, which means our structure suffers when they're all on the pitch at the same time. I'd have Martial in my first XI for his other qualities, but he needs to be joined by direct players in order for us to attack effectively.

Rashford, James, Lingard, McTomminay, Sanchez, and Greenwood all have the requisite directness to go for the jugular every time they receive the ball. Basically, at least 4 players from that list need to be playing in order for us to function near our best.
Totally agree with the first paragraph. Timid, almost dawdling brains in speed of thought. Mata and Matic shouldnt even be here in my opinion along with Sanchez. Adding the exciting youngsters of Greenwood and Gomes and anoother attacking player in Dybala/Fernandes and I think we have plenty attacking wise. Maguire improves the defence, I am still concerned personally we havent signed a defensive midfielder and dont appear to be looking to either now Longstaff stuff has died down no other players linked

dutchred

Pogba and Fernandes playing beside McTominay would be ideal for this season. If we can't get Fernandes we need someone else. Longstaff has played 8 competitive games, to suggest he's good enough to be a consistent starter for Utd at this point is crazy. At this point Pogba can't be allowed to leave under any circumstances.
I dont think Mac can play every game and I dont expect Longstaff to be a consistent starter but I think he can cover for Mac when he needs a break. Garner is good but still too young to do this consistently

Bobski

How did we play? I was checking the scores and the possession stat showed us having 39%. Did we play on the counter?
Pretty poorly for much of the game, lack of any fluency or control to the play, a lot of kick and rush and playing on the counter while Milan were much smoother slicker in their build up. Much improved after the changes, Fred and McTominay started to give us penetration in the passing and the runners benefited. Still not much in the way of controlled possession.

Dazzmondo

I dont think Mac can play every game and I dont expect Longstaff to be a consistent starter but I think he can cover for Mac when he needs a break. Garner is good but still too young to do this consistently
Why? If McTominay has anything going for him it's his energy and workrate

AgentP

There was a clear effort to play out from the back but we are just not good enough to do it yet. Our midfield can't handle the press.

jesperjaap

I really hope he gets opportunities this season. Based on past performances be a crying shame if he is missing out to Mata, Sanchez, Lingard and certainly Chong. He needs some chances to show if he is ready and able for the step up to the premiership as his technical ability and potential look very high, forget the height/size/strength nonsense

Dazzmondo

Definitely not just that, Scott will be a great midfielder.
Hope you're right. I still have my doubts. His technical side still doesn't impress me but he's shown enough for me to trust him over our other dm options. I see him as a squad player like a Darron Gibson or a Tom Cleverley tbh

DoomSlayer

Hope you're right. I still have my doubts. His technical side still doesn't impress me but he's shown enough for me to trust him over our other dm options.
Great passing, good first touch, great awareness. Only thing lacking is experience but it's obvious he bleeds for our club and we seriously need those types of players to set the standards.

Reddy09

if Mata, Matic and Pereira are anywhere near starting line we are done for. They are not even good as bench options.

tony54

Matic is not acceptable this season, nor Mata, both too slow and mata not strong enough.
I wonder, now that we are getting Maguire could Tuanzebe play in front of a back four with both fullbacks going forward as usual. In front of Tuanzebe we could have Mctom and Fred who today played well and brought a lot of energy to the game.

Tony247

Result really doesn't matter in preseason friendlies. Technical improvement over last seasons, fitness, player's understanding of the system etc. are more important. And to be honest everything was as grim as last season. Same clueless players running here and there, meaningless passing, zero creativity, no pace, conceding possession.. .all deja vu. We need to release likes of Matic, Mata, Young, Marital. You really can't expect the team to do well with them playing. It was getting so bored, we didn't even have 20% posession since their goal. The entire game was absolutely demotivating..

and then bang... something magical happened towards the end

Gomez, Axel, James decided to put Milan in their place. Lingard and Fred joined the party. McT suddenly came to life. It was a dazzliing display. Now Man Utd fans can sleep quietly knowing there is hope.

jesperjaap

Hope you're right. I still have my doubts. His technical side still doesn't impress me but he's shown enough for me to trust him over our other dm options. I see him as a squad player like a Darron Gibson or a Tom Cleverley tbh
Thats how I saw him, think people are getting a bit carried away after a few good performances. Now seeing him more as a Darren Fletcher, think he can be a big player for us in big games with his energy and workrate closing the ball down and getting stuck in and simple passing moving forward. Still not convinced either he is a first eleven player if we are to be a successful team week in week out, but certainly think of the current set up he is deserving his chances now and be interesting to see how he does this season

Dazzmondo

Thats how I saw him, think people are getting a bit carried away after a few good performances. Now seeing him more as a Darren Fletcher, think he can be a big player for us in big games with his energy and workrate closing the ball down and getting stuck in and simple passing moving forward. Still not convinced either he is a first eleven player if we are to be a successful team week in week out, but certainly think of the current set up he is deserving his chances now and be interesting to see how he does this season
Honestly if he turns out to be a Fletcher I'd be delighted, that's a best case scenario for him imo.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Hopefully a step-up from those two.

Another Darren Fletcher would be great.

jesperjaap

Matic is not acceptable this season, nor Mata, both too slow and mata not strong enough.
I wonder, now that we are getting Maguire could Tuanzebe play in front of a back four with both fullbacks going forward as usual. In front of Tuanzebe we could have Mctom and Fred who today played well and brought a lot of energy to the game.
Of our current centre backs and adding Maguire and the types of players they are I actually think Tuanzabe is the best centre back partnership for Lindelof OR Maguire rather than the two of them together. WIth the number of centre backs we have I will be really frustrated if it is him going out on loan again.
Unproven on whether he can step up from chapionship and friendlies to gain a spot but I would put him ahead of most of our other centre backs as another option if we sign Maguire and think he can actually make the second cb spot his own over the season....if he gets the chances of course

Fergie's gum

Result really doesn't matter in preseason friendlies. Technical improvement over last seasons, fitness, player's understanding of the system etc. are more important. And to be honest everything was as grim as last season. Same clueless players running here and there, meaningless passing, zero creativity, no pace, conceding possession.. .all deja vu. We need to release likes of Matic, Mata, Young, Marital. You really can't expect the team to do well with them playing. It was getting so bored, we didn't even have 20% posession since their goal. The entire game was absolutely demotivating..

and then bang... something magical happened towards the end

Gomez, Axel, James decided to put Milan in their place. Lingard and Fred joined the party. McT suddenly came to life. It was a dazzliing display. Now Man Utd fans can sleep quietly knowing there is hope.
The magical thing that you refer to was that Milan took off half the team and replaced them with their second string

UncleBob

His lack of minutes in these last few games is weird tbh. Unless he's carrying an injury and no one's said anything.
Not sure why he hasn't been involved, but I'd be surprised if we let him leave given the remaining options.

jesperjaap

DDG stopped a PK. I can't fecking believe it.
Pepe Reina is possibly the best keeper I can ever remember in shoot outs, was sure we were losing it before it started knowing that and how bad DeGea is, strange though VDS wasnt great at them and I can only ever remember Schmiechel (who was also awful at them) ever saving one, important though as was the cup semi final against Arsenal.

If he wasnt our keeper and a fantastic one at that, would be comical the regularity he manages to go the wrong way, probably save more standing still....someones going through the middle eventually

jesperjaap

The magical thing that you refer to was that Milan took off half the team and replaced them with their second string
Haha so true, people raving about how our youngsters came on and changed the game, which they did.....but it wasnt the same Milan side they were playing against

jesperjaap

Honestly if he turns out to be a Fletcher I'd be delighted, that's a best case scenario for him imo.
Best case for me too. Fletcher was slaughtered when he broke through and though maybe overly fondly remebered, he was an important player for us for quite a spell, and always seemed to shine in the big games, McTominays best games so far seem to have been the bigger games as well.
Not convinced he will be a top midfielder as some think, but if he can have some kind of Fletcher like performance, especially in bigger games I would be delighted

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Like others, the last 10 minutes were fun to watch. I hope we get to see James, Greenwood and Gomez a fair amount. Not sure why Greenwood and Gomez didn't come in earlier.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Our depth worries me greatly. The first 11 is barely there, so it's no surprise. But the players we will end up relying on at some point this coming season just aren't good enough, and that is the reason we won't pull up any trees over a 38 game league campaign. I fancy us in the cups though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's worrying that Solksjaer keeps picking McTominay and Matic to play alongside each other. THis is just such an obviously bad idea and it's not as if we have no alternative just because Pogba isn't fit. It will cost us games if he does this in competitice matches. It has to be one or the other and at the moment McTominay looks very good when partnered with someone who isn't doing the same job as him.

He also keeps picking Rashford on the left and Martial up top. Rashford is better than Martial up front and Martial is very definitely better than Rashford playing from the left. I mean it's so obvious that I'm not sure what he's even trying to achieve here. Rashford must lose the ball 90% of the time he gets it when he plays on the left. Martial barely gets involved in games at times when he's up top and then keeps appearing on the left anyway. Just swap them round for feck sake.

Suvvernmanc

Because the point is fitness. A player playing badly is secondary to how many minutes the manager wants to give him
So Perreira, Matic, and Mata are going to start for us against Chelsea? They were shit today. We needed to put better players on to change the game. It was obvious they were on top, certain players were causing it... hey ho, let's leave them on to inevitably concede.. brill!

roseguy64

Not sure why he hasn't been involved, but I'd be surprised if we let him leave given the remaining options.
Agreed, Maguire will be first choice and it'll be a battle between Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe(if he doesn't go on loan) for the other spot. If Tuanzebe doesn't leave then I expect Rojo or Jones to go since Bailly is injured for half the season.

roseguy64

So Perreira, Matic, and Mata are going to start for us against Chelsea? They were shit today. We needed to put better players on to change the game. It was obvious they were on top, certain players were causing it... hey ho, let's leave them on to inevitably concede.. brill!
I never suggested that they would start against Chelsea. For whatever reason, the management decided that they needed to play for as long as they did regardless of performance.