Manchester United vs AS Roma (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeR247

Is this the only preseason tour game which is on at a UK friendly time?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Is this the only preseason tour game which is on at a UK friendly time?
No, Real Madrid game is on at the same time on August 2nd and Valencia game is at Ot...on at 7.45pm on the 12th.

Herrera

Fletcher has been at United since 1995 = 19 years.
Cleverly has been at United since 2000 = 14 years.
Welbeck has been at United since 2001 = 13 years.
Rooney has been at United since 2004 = 10 years.

Those four are the longest serving players for us on the US Tour if I'm not mistaken.

Obviously the captaincy goes to the longest serving player playing a game. Normal in situations like this, at least I've seen manager do it at clubs where they just came in a lot.

First it was Fletcher, the longest serving player. Now Fletcher is not playing, Cleverly is captain because he is the second longest serving player. It's not exactly rocket science.

No special man management or whatever by LvG at all. Although I do hope it gives Cleverly some confidence. The 90 minutes are to help and asses him.
Didn't Wilson join when he was about 7.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
People are so excited because if you juxtapose this start to the one we had last season, losing 1-0 to the Singha All-Stars, struggling against mediocre-poor sides, it's a complete 180 and people are rightfully giddy about our prospects.

JoeR247

No, Real Madrid game is on at the same time on August 2nd and Valencia game is at Ot...on at 7.45pm on the 12th.
Ah thanks, just the Galaxy game which was on at stupid O clock, hope the rest are just as good

Bevins87

Making cleverly captain is typical of the pragmatic way Van Gaal has approached things so far and makes perfect sense.

Cleverly is one of two players playing 90 mins makes sense to keep the continuity and give him the captaincy for the game. Could also give him a much needed boost. He has been very poor recently but it looks like we are going to recycle the ball a lot quicker under Van Gaal and it could be perfect for Cleverly to show what he has. The way we were playing last year didn't bring the best out of any of our players.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I've been stopping myself from pointing out that 4 of those goals were against the Galaxy B team in the second half.

In the first, we have a foolish penalty no decent team would give away, and a stupendous gaff from a CB the likes of which we won't see again this season.

Welbeck slices one off the post, probably was lucky he didn't slice it out of bounds.

Now of course we completely dominated possession and that's what I wanted to see. But still.
Its a friendly against LA Galaxy, a first game for the new coach, with many new faces coming from a long break. Scoreline should be the least of the worries.

You lot are facing a much better team today of course, but its still not indicative of anything big. Good for the new players to mesh in and the coach to experiment and build his team.

Thomas#7

Christ that Roma team is capable of showing us up something rotten today, and De Rossi and Strootman aren't even playing. I know it's only a friendly but I'm still nervous as feck. :nervous:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ah thanks, just the Galaxy game which was on at stupid O clock, hope the rest are just as good
Yeah. Inter Milan is on at half past midnight which is still not very friendly to us in the UK...but not as bad as the Galaxy game.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Fox sports presentator doesnt know what Roma's logo represents. Nor does Ashley Cole. Embarassing.
I have somehow never noticed Romulus, Remus and the wolf on their badge before you said this...

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Its a friendly against LA Galaxy, a first game for the new coach, with many new faces coming from a long break. Scoreline should be the least of the worries.

You lot are facing a much better team today of course, but its still not indicative of anything big. Good for the new players to mesh in and the coach to experiment and build his team.
I'm sure the players were just as stressed out at the bad performances last season as all the fans have been.

I'd say the real benefit was seeing us look like a football team again, more than the sum of our parts.

Regardless of the opposition that day, the team's quality was on display, and that had to be a big relief, and a confidence booster, for all involved.

George Beast

Christ that Roma team is capable of showing us up something rotten today, and De Rossi and Strootman aren't even playing. I know it's only a friendly but I'm still nervous as feck. :nervous:
Good. We need to face strong teams, not LA Galaxy types. Makes Van Gaa's job easier knowing who's up for it and who isn't.

REJE

I support the idea of Cleverley being made captain in a friendly and wouldn't have been in uproar had Moyes done it. Thus your guarantee is incorrect/bullshit. What have posts got to do with anything?
No it isn't, now move along with your hostile elitist dickhead attitude :)

Smithy89

:lol:

Thought the same. Hopefully he plays well, he was brilliant before his injury last season.

He was, would have loved him at united whether it would have worked out or not. Could you imagine him with berba :lol::drool:

Deleted member 78215

Any ideas how good the UnitedLive stream will be? I have pretty slow internet, don't want to pay for it, only to see the game spluttering and lagging all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.