Manchester United vs Athletic Bilbao (Sun 6th August, 16:00 UK time)

Chairman Steve

This MUTV post game 'punditry' is fecking horrific. I'm not sure why I've still got it on...

Like a car crash. Can't look away.
I’ve seen YouTube channels with less than 50k subscribers have more production value than a purported £6 billion major sporting entity can put out :lol:

Banana Republic

A shout out for Dan Gore.
He’s only 18 yrs old, a mere kid, but he showed a lot of maturity and composure, playing the key holding role.
Really good passing range and isn’t afraid to get stuck in against physically larger and stronger players.
Obviously he’s got a long way to go, before he gets a chance to challenge for a place with the first team, but he’s given a good account of himself this pre-season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
That's just a bizarre comparison, a leg breaker is in a different category to what happened here.
What happened there was a rugby tackle as last man to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, that's a red card in any game

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Dont know why the praises for Maguire. He did bad and he did good so they cancel out each other but his mistakes are worrying and too frequent for a senior CB. Do that against top PL side and we will be scrambling. And this was only Athletic Balboa

criticalanalysis

He’s only 18 yrs old, a mere kid, but he showed a lot of maturity and composure, playing the key holding role.
Really good passing range and isn’t afraid to get stuck in against physically larger and stronger players.
Obviously he’s got a long way to go, before he gets a chance to challenge for a place with the first team, but he’s given a good account of himself this pre-season.
Yes agree. Felt he wasn't as good with the ball compared to previous games but he was very mature and stuck to his position, which isn't easy to do.

A loan would be very good for him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What happened there was a rugby tackle as last man to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, that's a red card in any game
I agree it was a red by the rules but I also think they need to implement an orange card (enforced sub), so that both teams can keep testing each other (that's the point of a friendly game, after all) while not damaging the spectacle for the fans.

edgecutter

It is a red card, no doubt. I just felt for a friendly it is better to keep it 11 vs 11 unless it was a leg breaker challenge. Better for our players to break down a full 11 than a 10 men.

Danny

It is a red card, no doubt. I just felt for a friendly it is better to keep it 11 vs 11 unless it was a leg breaker challenge. Better for our players to break down a full 11 than a 10 men.
Why? Sometimes it's more difficult to break down 10 men. Teams practice it enough in training.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I agree it was a red by the rules but I also think they need to implement an orange card (enforced sub), so that both teams can keep testing each other (that's the point of a friendly game, after all) while not damaging the spectacle for the fans.
Well you can also argue that United got to practice a scenario that will happen during the season

edgecutter

Why? Sometimes it's more difficult to break down 10 men. Teams practice it enough in training.
Just rather see what our players can do against 11 rather than having that asterix that the opposition were down to 10 men. In a competive game it would be a different story :lol:

Banana Republic

Steady on there bud, it was a good finish but he didn't have a particularly great game, definitely not a career-defining one.
As I said, he and Sancho were living on scraps after the first 15 minutes.
That’s why they were quiet for long spells after that.

Red00012

I don't, if you were dumb enough to pay it then that says a lor about you!
Parents have kids who can’t afford to bring them to Manchester and this is the next best thing. And I’m sure they enjoyed it. Get a grip.

Red00012

Just rather see what our players can do against 11 rather than having that asterix that the opposition were down to 10 men. In a competive game it would be a different story :lol:
I’d say just stop digging that hole at this stage :lol:

OrcaFat

Strong-ish side in the end. Decent run out for Eriksen. A good day.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Then what happens with Amad? Everyone wants him to push Antony for that spot
Amad is even younger. He should be on loan too, not cover on the bench. Because in my view with antony, Sancho, rashford and garnacho we are already stacked with ample cover and competition to have players who are not trusted fully being cover at the stage when they need minutes to develope.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Amad is even younger. He should be on loan too, not cover on the bench. Because in my view with antony, Sancho, rashford and garnacho we are already stacked with ample cover and competition to have players who are not trusted fully being cover at the stage when they need minutes to develope.
4 players for 3 positions is now stacked apparently. Universe brain logic.

You'd probably also have Saka on loan if you supported Arsenal.

wolvored

Overall looking at this and the other pre season games we dont seem to have developed much that fills me with confidence for the new season if I am being honest. Yes we have Mainoo Pellestri and Gore on the periphery and thats the highlights. Lets hope it all clicks when we are playing our strongest team, week in, week out.

FriedClams

Overall looking at this and the other pre season games we dont seem to have developed much that fills me with confidence for the new season if I am being honest. Yes we have Mainoo Pellestri and Gore on the periphery and thats the highlights. Lets hope it all clicks when we are playing our strongest team, week in, week out.
just remember that last year, we looked incredible in pre season.

AlexUTD

Yep. Emeran miles better in that game vs Leeds.
Agreed mate.

Amad got injures, so we probably wanted a left footed player on RW and ETH went with Forson. Don't think Hannibal is an option there, and between Emeran and Forson, he went with Forson.

Not a big issue imo. If Amad was available, that would be him starting.
Not a big issue,i just dont get it :)

Wing Attack Plan R

Agree with you. Maybe we shouldn't have kept score either, because it was just a meaningless friendly with nothing at stake. We were losing, and Hannibal was through on goal. I would be fine if they just awarded the goal and let it stay 11 v 11, but since that doesn't happen, the Bilbao player has to walk. The referee was insanely lenient with yellows as it was. Bilbao should have had another 6 or 7 yellows for their shitty tactical fouls.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There’s an inverse law with pre-season games. The worst we look then the better we are when the season kicks off. Doesn’t make any sense but I’ve often felt that.

Zumbi

Means he’s effective going up and down the gears
A clutch player is someone who performs at key moments under pressure. ‘In the clutch’ means at a critical moment. The closest English equivalent I can think of is a big game player, but clutch is even more specific in terms of performing at specific key moments within such games.

steffyr2

There’s an inverse law with pre-season games. The worst we look then the better we are when the season kicks off. Doesn’t make any sense but I’ve often felt that.
Then we're going to be spectacular. I just checked to confirm that the PL season does start in a week or so. That definitely isn't clear from watching preseason games -- we do have a 1st team and some spares made up of professional players, right?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Then we're going to be spectacular. I just checked to confirm that the PL season does start in a week or so. That definitely isn't clear from watching preseason games -- we do have a 1st team and some spares made up of professional players, right?
Well Harry is a Spare and always looking to make some money if need be :D

justsomebloke

Fully agree.

Wondering though why we've been seeing so much of Forson and so little of Emeran. Today was I think the first time Forson didn't look completely lost, while Emeran does something of quality almost every time he's got the ball. I must be missing something.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You could say the ref was harsh to send him off in a friendly but the player only has himself to blame. If the result doesn’t matter then the defender could have taken that into account and not hauled Hannibal down because it doesn’t matter if he scores. When you commit a cynical professional foul, which spoils the game as a spectacle, trying to argue that “it’s only a friendly” is a terrible excuse. If you take the result that seriously then the ref should take your foul equally seriously.