Manchester United Vs Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
Schweini is awesome, we'll definitely miss him in the return leg. I don't know a single Bayern fan who thinks otherwise.

Great game btw. I tried to tell you guys that it will be a close tie, former great teams often show their best performances in games like this despite struggling in the league. Everyone is motivated and fights, CL games between big clubs are always special. I'm really looking forward to the game in Munich. Should be exciting.
@Crashoutcassius

That's what I thought Balu, thanks for clearing it up. He's class. Hopefully we can sneak a goal and shut up shop in the second leg.

Edit: when fit, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, is he not?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Well I'm surprised. A lot to say, but I've had a fair few to drink, so I'll just say this: well done Moyes, the team was very well drilled tonight.

But please, don't play Fellaini in the return leg. Please.

Crashoutcassius

@Crashoutcassius

That's what I thought Balu, thanks for clearing it up. He's class. Hopefully we can sneak a goal and shut up shop in the second leg.

Edit: when fit, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, is he not?
I didn't say he wasn't class, one of my fave CMs. Just that there's a good chance pep would't play him second leg anyway. Altho with Martinez and Thiago out of course he would I guess

Wazza1

There was a plan today and it might be only the third or fourth time this year its been like that (Leverkusen & Arsenal home and away being the others). Should have been a win and we might regret not getting another goal at Old Trafford next week. I will take heart in the performance though and at least we will go down fighting.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
There was a plan today and it might be only the third or fourth time this year its been like that (Leverkusen & Arsenal home and away being the others). Should have been a win and we might regret not getting another goal at Old Trafford next week. I will take heart in the performance though and at least we will go down fighting.
Believe....

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Moyes did well today. good tactics...if Fellani had only marked his man, they would not have got their goal. very good team effort overall.
Nail on the head man. Fellaini was seriously lackin in that move & very lethargic to say the least. The way he just just floated around without any purpose trackin his nearest potential threat was a disgrace. In sayin that, i thought he did alright & i'm not on his case because its trendy to do so this season, but i dont give a feck about reputations - if you feck up - you get grief for it!

So many reasons to be positive folks. We're still in the game & thats all we wanted..

Moriarty

Dante in for Martinez at center back, Kroos taking Schweiny's position, and then 2 out of Muller/Gotze/Mandzukic as the #9 and #10 probably.
Not bad replacements. I don't think they'll be so cagy in Munich as they were at Old Trafford. I thought they'd really press us a lot harder and a lot faster. Did you think they were lacking a bit of their usual flair and panache?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not bad replacements. I don't think they'll be so cagy in Munich as they were at Old Trafford. I thought they'd really press us a lot harder and a lot faster. Did you think they were lacking a bit of their usual flair and panache?
I think they seemed really complacent, thinking they were going to have an easy time opening us up, and weren't expecting our excellent defensive performance. Usually this season they haven't been as possession focused as they were today, and it's a little disappointing to see Pep turning them into that like he turned Barca. Last season Bayern were the perfect side IMO, a great blend of everything, and very exciting. Pep is undoubtedly a great manager but he goes too far with the possession sometimes and takes away players taking a risk. Of course, this tactic works 9 times out of 10 as most teams will eventually tire and have a lapse in concentration, and that will lead to being very consistent, but not quite as exciting.

The pressing really wasn't an issue as we hardly had the ball, especially in the first half. The second half we put Kagawa on and he's great at finding pockets of space to receive the ball and is one of the few players who are very capable of keeping possession under pressure so that helped immensely.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of those classic encounters where people presume it'll be a cake walk...and isn't.
Reminded me of the Real game last year.

Moyes got that bang on tonight. Yes we barely had the ball, but with both normal full backs out, Van Persie out, and Mata cuptied that was a good use of the available resources.

Just a real shame they got that away goal, but needlessly missing 2 key players next game now. Hopefully they regret those last few min fouls!

Moriarty

I think they seemed really complacent, thinking they were going to have an easy time opening us up, and weren't expecting our excellent defensive performance. Usually this season they haven't been as possession focused as they were today, and it's a little disappointing to see Pep turning them into that like he turned Barca. Last season Bayern were the perfect side IMO, a great blend of everything, and very exciting. Pep is undoubtedly a great manager but he goes too far with the possession sometimes and takes away players taking a risk. Of course, this tactic works 9 times out of 10 as most teams will eventually tire and have a lapse in concentration, and that will lead to being very consistent, but not quite as exciting.

The pressing really wasn't an issue as we hardly had the ball, especially in the first half. The second half we put Kagawa on and he's great at finding pockets of space to receive the ball and is one of the few players who are very capable of keeping possession under pressure so that helped immensely.
A pretty fair assessment. They won't be that complacent in Munich. We have to go there and attack and get a goal. Whether our defence can handle the sustained pressure is another story.

Jacob

Before we signed Fellaini I thought he'd give us 10-15 headed goals a season.

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of those classic encounters where people presume it'll be a cake walk...and isn't.
Reminded me of the Real game last year.

Moyes got that bang on tonight. Yes we barely had the ball, but with both normal full backs out, Van Persie out, and Mata cuptied that was a good use of the available resources.

Just a real shame they got that away goal, but needlessly missing 2 key players next game now. Hopefully they regret those last few min fouls!
I think unlike when we played Barca under Pep we played right into there hands. This team like Barca like to press high up the field but given that DDG and either our fbs went constantly long nullified this part of their game. And I thought that when we doubled up on their wingers I really couldn't see them scoring. Not trying to be to harsh but a case of our lack of tactics building from the back working in our favour.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Where are our resident Germans and Bayern fans? I'd like to their perspective of the match and result especially @Balu.
Pretty much what I expected. I said before the game inbetween all the depressing talk from United fans about a possible record breaking humiliating defeat, that I'm happy to take a 2-0 aggregate win, that I expect a close game and would love a 1-0 away win with a late goal. I'm really happy with the 1-1 draw, great result and I'm really looking forward to the return leg, I'll be in the Arena and I'm 100% certain that we get to see another exciting game with huge drama, like it has always been between the two teams. That's the beauty of European competitions. League form means shit, because for one evening, players who look past their best find their best form again for 90 or 180 minutes. Everything is possible, I absolutely love it.

A few points about the game:

Defending: I thought it was an impressive defensive display by United. The development of the game in general is so strange at the moment, I don't think there are any teams outside of England who still know how to defend properly in and around the box. Great shape, great fight, lots of determination, brilliant attitude by United, exactly what I expected. I like that, nothing wrong with it. I'm not the biggest fan of our crazy possession numbers, because they force the opponent to park the bus, which makes it difficult to find gaps. After you scored, United all of a sudden became more adventurous, commited more players forward and we instantly looked much more dangerous and scored a brilliant goal. I've no clue what's wrong with changing the pace of the game, mix high pressure with inviting pressure to counter, so that the opponent has to react to different situations all the time. Guardiola has done that several times this season, no idea why we went all out Barca yesterday for 90 minutes :(.

Referee
: I thought he did a good job. There were a few 50:50 situations, but I don't think either team should complain. I thought it was fair to call Welbeck's high foot a foul, it's also obvious that our defenders and goalkeeper stopped playing instantly when the ref whistled, so we don't know if Welbeck would have scored otherwise. I can live with Valencia staying on, it could have been a second yellow but it would have been harsh. Schweinsteiger deserved to walk on the other side, incredibly stupid foul. Rooney looked hilarious though :lol:.

Attack: I don't think we were that bad in attack. Robben and Ribery moved brilliantly, our fullbacks were constantly in great positions, it should have been used better, but Ferdinand always got a foot inbetween the final pass and Vidic was great as well :mad:. They showed what an amazing partnership they were at their best. It really was frustrating, but I'd give more credit to United's defending than I would say we looked toothless. Schweinsteiger was majestic, bossed the midfield, scored a brilliant goal. I love it that he finally seems to be back at his best, sucks even more that we miss him, Martinez and Thiago in the return leg :nervous:.

Goalkeeping: Neuer had a terrific game. In my opinion he's on his way to become the greatest sweeper keeper of all time, his timing when making runs out of the box is basically flawless in big games. You see him intercepting passes and turning it into attacks, heading the ball outside the box, he's comfortable in possession with both feet, his distribution is amazing. And his positioning in 1on1s against attackers is as impressive as any I've seen (and that includes Kahn and Schmeichel). Watch his timing ahead of Welbeck's chance, the way he finds the perfect spot, the perfect angle, stays up at his feet to make it so difficult for the attacker to find the opening to get past him or shoot and then his save :drool:. And he's still the amazing shotstopper he was 5 years ago, even though he rarely gets to show it. His development is nothing short of astonishing.

That was my take on the game, see you in Munich :D

iAm20Legend

Was travelling all evening and depended on this matchday thread for live updates (faster than espnfc and more colorful commentary too :D) . Thanks lads!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Totally outplayed for most of the night, but Bayern lacked the cutting edge, which surprised me a little. We defended well, but it was desperate at times and I thought Bayern messed up a few nice moves with bad final balls in the box. Next week will be a different story I fear - I don't think the same tactics will work in Munich. We needed Welbeck to have converted his chance to have a realistic chance in Munich.

Hunting for tickets now.........

Crashoutcassius

Even with Bayern out, it'd still be a miracle if we won it.
no way. We've been so good in Europe all year. I don't know how but I also don't know how we've been so bad in the prem. Think perhaps the players gave up on the prem by late january when they were all fit again. If we take it to Bayern next week and get a result we will fear nobody

Cal?

CR7 fan
no way. We've been so good in Europe all year. I don't know how but I also don't know how we've been so bad in the prem. Think perhaps the players gave up on the prem by late january when they were all fit again. If we take it to Bayern next week and get a result we will fear nobody
Even if we manage to get past Bayern, Real Madrid still look a very daunting prospect, our fullbacks against Ronnie and Bale? :nervous:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Pretty much what I expected. I said before the game inbetween all the depressing talk from United fans about a possible record breaking humiliating defeat, that I'm happy to take a 2-0 aggregate win, that I expect a close game and would love a 1-0 away win with a late goal. I'm really happy with the 1-1 draw, great result and I'm really looking forward to the return leg, I'll be in the Arena and I'm 100% certain that we get to see another exciting game with huge drama, like it has always been between the two teams. That's the beauty of European competitions. League form means shit, because for one evening, players who look past their best find their best form again for 90 or 180 minutes. Everything is possible, I absolutely love it.

A few points about the game:

Defending: I thought it was an impressive defensive display by United. The development of the game in general is so strange at the moment, I don't think there are any teams outside of England who still know how to defend properly in and around the box. Great shape, great fight, lots of determination, brilliant attitude by United, exactly what I expected. I like that, nothing wrong with it. I'm not the biggest fan of our crazy possession numbers, because they force the opponent to park the bus, which makes it difficult to find gaps. After you scored, United all of a sudden became more adventurous, commited more players forward and we instantly looked much more dangerous and scored a brilliant goal. I've no clue what's wrong with changing the pace of the game, mix high pressure with inviting pressure to counter, so that the opponent has to react to different situations all the time. Guardiola has done that several times this season, no idea why we went all out Barca yesterday for 90 minutes :(.
Referee: I thought he did a good job. There were a few 50:50 situations, but I don't think either team should complain. I thought it was fair to call Welbeck's high foot a foul, it's also obvious that our defenders and goalkeeper stopped playing instantly when the ref whistled, so we don't know if Welbeck would have scored otherwise. I can live with Valencia staying on, it could have been a second yellow but it would have been harsh. Schweinsteiger deserved to walk on the other side, incredibly stupid foul. Rooney looked hilarious though :lol:.

Attack: I don't think we were that bad in attack. Robben and Ribery moved brilliantly, our fullbacks were constantly in great positions, it should have been used better, but Ferdinand always got a foot inbetween the final pass and Vidic was great as well :mad:. They showed what an amazing partnership they were at their best. It really was frustrating, but I'd give more credit to United's defending than I would say we looked toothless. Schweinsteiger was majestic, bossed the midfield, scored a brilliant goal. I love it that he finally seems to be back at his best, sucks even more that we miss him, Martinez and Thiago in the return leg :nervous:.

Goalkeeping: Neuer had a terrific game. In my opinion he's on his way to become the greatest sweeper keeper of all time, his timing when making runs out of the box is basically flawless in big games. You see him intercepting passes and turning it into attacks, heading the ball outside the box, he's comfortable in possession with both feet, his distribution is amazing. And his positioning in 1on1s against attackers is as impressive as any I've seen (and that includes Kahn and Schmeichel). Watch his timing ahead of Welbeck's chance, the way he finds the perfect spot, the perfect angle, stays up at his feet to make it so difficult for the attacker to find the opening to get past him or shoot and then his save :drool:. And he's still the amazing shotstopper he was 5 years ago, even though he rarely gets to show it. His development is nothing short of astonishing.

That was my take on the game, see you in Munich :D

A very fair assessment. Although I think that you would be a bit more abusive towards Rooney in a Bayern forum :D One thing I'd point out to you is on the goalkeeping front, you didn't mention De Gea. I thought he had a great game and he played with one of the best goal keepers in the world and didn't look out of place.

Buzzing for the Munich game, Win or defeat, I just want United to give their best on the pitch.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Maybe Chelsea will get Real and eliminate them :D
Mourinho to stop Real Madrid's march towards La Decima? :D

The only problem is that involves Chelsea in another CL final, imagine a season where the Scousers win the league and Chelsea win the CL with City the small cup and Arsenal the FA Cup and United in 7th? :nervous:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Mourinho to stop Real Madrid's march towards La Decima? :D

The only problem is that involves Chelsea in another CL final, imagine a season where the Scousers win the league and Chelsea win the CL with City the small cup and Arsenal the FA Cup and United in 7th? :nervous:
I don't think it'll be a problem because we'll beat Chelsea in the CL final. Arsenal will overtake Liverpool for 3rd when Pool lose to West Ham, City, Chelsea and draw with Norwich. A summer full of glorious wanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.