Manchester United vs. Braga

Forevergiggs

So, will it be Carrick, Wootton or Michael Keane at center back, with Ferdinand out?
If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Carrick. I don't think Fergie is going to throw Wootton in the mix unless we have got the required points to quality.

I would loved to be proven wrong though.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
========De Gea

Rafael Wooton Evans Buttner

=Anderson Fletcher Cleverly

====Nani====Kagawa

======Hernandez

Subs: Lindergaard, Keane, Valencia, Young, Giggs, Rooney, RVP

Jonno

========De Gea
Rafael Wooton Evans Buttner
=Anderson Fletcher Cleverly

====Nani====Kagawa

======Hernandez

Subs: Lindergaard, Keane, Valencia, Young, Giggs, Rooney, RVP
I just really doubt Fergie will be comfortable sending such a young keeper/defence out again after last seasons failings at home in Europe. I don't doubt Wootons abilities... but I would much prefer Carrick in there purely for his massive experience in these types of games.

Jacob

The game is on Swedish TV :eek:

Odds on them scoring first? :rolleyes:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Wooton and Buttner have been confirmed starters. Team sheet was released early
I can't see anything confirming that.

I thought the only thing confirmed is that Ferdinand and Evra won't play. So obviously Buttner will start and it'll be either Carrick or Fletcher at CB.

Ash_G

Would like to see:

DDG

Rafael Evans Wooton Buttner

Fletcher
Ando Giggs

Nani Rooney Kagawa

Although I'd like Clev to play I can see Giggs starting this game and although I feel bad about saying it but if Giggs starts this game, unless he plays amazing he's unlikely to play against Chelsea. Ando has had less game time so he gets the nod over clev.

It'd be a big ask of Wooton to come in, but he's not that young and there's no point having him if we're not gonna trust him when we need him. So far he hasn't done anything wrong and I think with a soild partner and midfield ahead of him he'll be fine.

Nani and Kagawa need games, particularly with Chelsea coming up. Got Rooney in from the start, hopefuly we can get a few goals then take him off for Hernandez.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can't see anything confirming that.

I thought the only thing confirmed is that Ferdinand and Evra won't play. So obviously Buttner will start and it'll be either Carrick or Fletcher at CB.
read it in one of the papers this morning, commented something like "..took the unsual step of releasing the team sheet early"

http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2012/10/23/

see back page story

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think we might see something like this:

------------------- De Gea --------------------
Valencia --- Wooton -- Evans -- Buttner
------------------- Fletcher ------------------
------------ Cleverley -- Anderson --------
Nani --------------------------------- Kagawa
----------------- Chicharito -------------------

It doesn't look that good to me now that I wrote it, but I'm pretty sure it will be something like this. Main problem is defence of course, and propably hernandez, he isn't good as a lone striker.

prateik

read it in one of the papers this morning, commented something like "..took the unsual step of releasing the team sheet early"

http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2012/10/23/

see back page story
Fergie said Rio and Evra would be rested. The Buttner and Wootton are guesses/assumptions.
Fergie also said Smalling and Jones were 3 weeks away, so Wootton would be the obvious answer, especially considering he has been making the first team bench recently.

Havak

Pokemon master
I just really doubt Fergie will be comfortable sending such a young keeper/defence out again after last seasons failings at home in Europe. I don't doubt Wootons abilities... but I would much prefer Carrick in there purely for his massive experience in these types of games.
I reckon we'll play some form of diamond and let Rafael / Buttner pose our threat from out wide. When we can have Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson in front of the centre backs at times, we'll probably get away with playing an inexperienced centre half. I'm pretty sold on this now:

Lindegaard
Rafael Wootton Evans Buttner
Fletcher
Cleverley Anderson
Kagawa
Hernandez ----------​

I just can't decide on the other striker if we played a diamond.. So it could be Young given a secondary 'free role' behind Hernandez, or playing up top along with him. It can also easily become a 442 with Fletcher/Cleverley moving to the wing and Young on the other.

Obviously, Carrick could well play at centre back or even us play two sitting midfielders (Fletcher & Carrick) as well as Wootton at CB. I can just see Carrick being rested for Chelsea along with the likes of Scholes, Rooney, van Persie, Ferdinand, Evra, maybe Valencia.

I'd hope Nani gets a look in here though, too, and I'm sure Giggs will feature in some way.

Carl

Reckon Nani and Young will start so we won't see the diamond. :( Hope I'm wrong though.
I think only 1 will start. Only because we know Kagawa is playing and I expect Rooney and Hernandez to start.

Ash_G

nani and young could play a diamond if we wanted to. Both are comfortable playing narrower, Young as someone who plays on the left and cut's in would be fine there. Both work hard so will get back when needed. The main thing with the diamond is making sure that everyone has a good understanding with each other when interchanging positions etc.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
All sort sorts of useful stuff in this article:

Sir Alex Ferguson did say prior to the recent international break that Smalling was ready to resume training after suffering a broken metatarsal during pre-season. That has not happened, though.
And while the former Fulham man - earmarked for an England recall by Roy Hodgson - is making progress, it seems both he and Jones, who is also yet to make a senior appearance this season after having a knee operation, will be returning at roughly the same time.
"Chris has trained with (reserve coach) Warren Joyce for a couple of days now but it is non-contact at the moment," said Ferguson.
"He is being the free player in training sessions. But the encouraging thing is he is definitely on the way back.
"I also expect Phil Jones to start on the football side next Monday and the two of them are both only two or three weeks away."
Ferguson was speaking ahead of tonight's Champions League encounter with Braga at Old Trafford, which could once again see the use of a new diamond formation, including Shinji Kagawa and Tom Cleverley.
"If it turns out we play the diamond consistently it would be revolutionary because it is going against our history," said Ferguson.
"But the level of the game in England and Europe now is so high that making yourself unpredictable is going to be a strength.
"Teams will have to think if we are going to use two out wide or the diamond because we have players capable of doing both things.
"Kagawa and Cleverley can play really well in the type of game that a diamond offers, whilst in Nani, Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia we have very good wide players."
After a draining return to the Far East during the international break, Kagawa, like Cleverley, was excused Saturday's win over Stoke so he would be fully refreshed as United look to extend this season's 100 per cent record in the Champions League.
The Japan international is still getting used to life in England, and Ferguson presumably felt a confrontation with Tony Pulis' 'jolly green giants' would not do much for his development.
"I don't believe I have cemented my place yet," Kagawa told Japanese news agency Kyodo.
"There is not one game that I can be satisfied with the way I played over the 90 minutes."
Ferguson has already confirmed defensive duo Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra will be rested ahead of Sunday's Premier League encounter with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, whilst others, including Robin van Persie, could find themselves in the same position.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...es-near-returns-after-long-term-injuries.html

Jonno

A good read that. Good to hear about Smalling and Jones. Nice message sent out to Chelsea there about what tactics he will use on Sunday....

Bebe

Fwiw (and not much at that), Goal.com are running an exclusive that Smalling has in fact been training for a fortnight and is available. They do address that Fergie said differently yesterday. Wouldn't be the first time he's hidden whose available.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Yeah, especially that Ferdinand is rested and I don't think he would play Carrick, Wootton or Michael Keane at centre-back tonight.

DocRockter

Hoe can I watch the game on iPad?? My laptop went down and a mate borrowed me this but it can't play Flash streams..

Carl

Would not be happy with such an inexperienced defence, this is still a must win game.
The only alternative is Carrick in for Wootton. It's pretty certain the other 3 will play.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would not be happy with such an inexperienced defence, this is still a must win game.
Well it's confirmed that Rio and Evra will miss this, I think Smalling might come back into the fold though?

Carl

Well it's confirmed that Rio and Evra will miss this, I think Smalling might come back into the fold though?
Surely Fergie wouldn't get involved in mind games with Braga... What would be the point?

Jonno

Fergie said Smalling has only been training "non contact" with the reserves, doubt he would be ready in time? Part of me would love Wootton to play, but the other part thinks Carrick should step in at this stage of the group.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Giggs will be playing tonight amongst the inexperienced lads.

It's his way of "taking it seriously".

Deleted to save my blushes.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
De Gea(GK)
Rafael
J. Evans
Büttner
Carrick
Cleverley
D. Fletcher
Kagawa
Rooney(C)
Hernández
Van Persie

subs:
Johnstone(GK)
Ferdinand
Anderson
Giggs
Nani
Young
Welbeck

nemanja15

OFFICIAL MUFC XI:

de Gea

Rafael
Carrick
Evans
Buttner

Cleverley
Fletcher
Kagawa

Rooney
Hernandez
van Persie

SUBS: Johnstone, Ferdinand, Anderson, Nani, Giggs, Young, Welbeck.