Sun, 25 February 2018 @ 2:05pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
    Well the City game was a most bizzare instance of pragmatism even for Jose's standards. We actually went into that game with the intention of having our defenders hoof it to Lukaku from the first minute. We're going to play hoofball tomorrow, just not to the extent we did in the City game.

Attacking Tottenham at Wembley and Chelsea at the bridge saw us outclassed and beaten. At least when we play pragmatic we manage to eek out something like Liverpool away, arsenal away and Tottenham at home even if luckily. He's been more successful being pragmatic than attacking. He's better at the former than the latter
    In all honesty we were doing this against Sevilla. Depressing stuff

Loublaze

ATLien
    Love the optimism, would love us to batter them.

Truth is we will sit deep whilst they have the ball, Lukaku will be ineffective again.

Kante will put Pogba in his pocket and Jose will waste a player to just run around and harass Hazard.

0-2
    Holy shit I don't have a lot of confidence going into this but I doubt we'll lose.

Revaulx

We've been watching poor football for so long now that you know exactly what to expect anyway, it's just been particularly poor recently, on a par or probably worse than the Van Gaal era
    Definitely worse recently. I can live with dull as long as it’s not all the time. Right now it’s just bad.
    Jose though seems to be able to get us to do just enough at the right times, and I reckon tomorrow will be one of them.
    And this is a big reason why I’m still supporting him despite the above.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
    Martin Atkinson refereeing United vs. Chelsea - what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

So the talking point, assuming Jose plays three at the back, in terms of team selection, will be:

Midfield two or three?

Again, assuming we go with three at the back, which is what Jose normally does against teams who play the same, the question will be whether he bolsters up the midfield and goes with a three, or if he goes with a two.

A double pivot will obviously allow Jose to go with more attacking players. However, it could also mean we have less control of the game and possible be vulnerable defensively.

On the other hand, if we play a three, it will obviously give us that more control and make us more solid in midfield. It was take away an attacker, though.

Past decisions leads me to think Jose will go with a double pivot.

Midfield - Pogba vs McTominay (never thought I'd say that)

To me, Matic will definitely start, so that leaves one position - Pogba or McTominay.

Jose has spoken about his admiration for McTominay. A lot of praise of late, more recently after the Sevilla game. When asked about his performance, Jose said, "He was fantastic. He did everything well. "He put pressure on Ever Banega and stopped him playing, he's their playmaker. I think Scott was brilliant".

Based on that kind of praise, and the type of performances we've seen from McTominay, could Jose leave McTominay out?

That said, Jose was also full of praise for Pogba, after showing a positive reaction, coming from the bench against Sevilla.

"I think he had a very positive game for us and sometimes, details are details, but sometimes players on the bench take five minutes to be ready to play".

“They don't have shinpads, they don't have the strapping, they don't have a shirt.

“He took 10 seconds to be ready to come to the pitch, which showed the professionalism that he was ready to play and help the team, which he did."

If Jose goes with Pogba, you'd expect us to be more adventurous and possibly create more, but also be pretty light in midfield i.e. Arsenal (create loads but concede loads). If; however, he goes with McTominay, we may not be a creative, but we'll have more energy to our midfield and we'll most likely be more solid too.

It's a similar decision for Chelsea really on who to put next to Kante. Bakayoko/Drinkwater or Fabregas, although Conte opted to go with a three man midfield against us at home.

Of course Jose could go with a three of Pogba, Matic and McTominay, but as I said before, previous lineups would suggest a double pivot.

Front three - Wingers or Attacking Midfielder?

Will Jose go with an attacking midfielder behind two forwards or a front three?

ST - ST
    CAM

Or

LF ST RF

More often than not, Mourinho has normally gone with the first option, with the attacking midfielder helping out the middle two. Did it against Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea away.

However, Chelsea's recent struggles against Watford and Bournemouth, where they lost 4-1 and 0-3, respectively, have come against a front three, with two wingers coming in off the wings.

I guess if we see a double pivot of Pogba and Matic, we will most likely see an attacking midfielder to drop back as an 8 - similar to what we saw Lingard do against Arsenal.

On the other hand, if we see Matic and McTominay, we could see the second option, and a more roaming and attacking three.

With Sanchez and Lukaku a cert to start, it would leave Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Mata battling out for the right forward role.

How it will it pan out?

I think we're going to see a very cagey game, with both teams cancelling each other out.

Mourinho and Conte like to be very organised defensively, especially in the bigger games.

With top four not guaranteed for neither teams, a loss could prove to be detrimental.

Prediction

Manchester United (Lukaku) 1-0 Chelsea

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Prediction.
    We will be absolute gash, again.!

Seen nothing recently to suggest that we will get a positive result here, I'm predicting an a comfortable away win or Chelski.

Klopp_De_Klown

So the talking point, assuming Jose plays three at the back, in terms of team selection, will be:

Midfield two or three?

Again, assuming we go with three at the back, which is what Jose normally does against teams who play the same, the question will be whether he bolsters up the midfield and goes with a three, or if he goes with a two.

A double pivot will obviously allow Jose to go with more attacking players. However, it could also mean we have less control of the game and possible be vulnerable defensively.

On the other hand, if we play a three, it will obviously give us that more control and make us more solid in midfield. It was take away an attacker, though.

To me, Matic will definitely start, so that leaves one position - Pogba or McTominay.

Jose has spoken about his admiration for McTominay. A lot of praise of late, more recently after the Sevilla game. When asked about his performance, Jose said, "He was fantastic. He did everything well. "He put pressure on Ever Banega and stopped him playing, he's their playmaker. I think Scott was brilliant".

Based on that kind of praise, and the type of performances we've seen from McTominay, could Jose leave McTominay out?

That said, Jose was also full of praise for Pogba, after showing a positive reaction, coming from the bench against Sevilla.

"I think he had a very positive game for us and sometimes, details are details, but sometimes players on the bench take five minutes to be ready to play".

“They don't have shinpads, they don't have the strapping, they don't have a shirt.

“He took 10 seconds to be ready to come to the pitch, which showed the professionalism that he was ready to play and help the team, which he did."

If Jose goes with Pogba, you'd expect us to be more adventurous and possibly create more, but also be pretty light in midfield i.e. Arsenal (create loads but concede loads). If; however, he goes with McTominay, we may not be a creative, but we'll have more energy to our midfield and we'll most likely be more solid too.

It's a similar decision for Chelsea really on who to put next to Kante. Bakayoko/Drinkwater or Fabregas, although Conte opted to go with a three man midfield against us at home.

Of course Jose could go with a three of Pogba, Matic and McTominay, but as I said before, previous lineups would suggest a double pivot.

ST - ST
    CAM

Or

LF ST RF

More often than not, Mourinho has normally gone with the first option, with the attacking midfielder helping out the middle two. Did it against Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea away.

However, Chelsea's recent struggles against Watford and Bournemouth, where they lost 4-1 and 0-3, respectively, have come against a front three, with two wingers coming in off the wings.

I guess if we see a double pivot of Pogba and Matic, we will most likely see an attacking midfielder to drop back as an 8 - similar to what we saw Lingard do against Arsenal.

On the other hand, if we see Matic and McTominay, we could see the second option, and a more roaming and attacking three.

With Sanchez and Lukaku a cert to start, it would leave Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Mata battling out for the right forward role.

How it will it pan out?

I think we're going to see a very cagey game, with both teams cancelling each other out.

Mourinho and Conte like to be very organised defensively, especially in the bigger games.

With top four not guaranteed for neither teams, a loss could prove to be detrimental.

Prediction

he will play 3 in the engine and match them up. It’s Chelsea we are playing not Huddersfield
    Don’t be surprised if you see Young/Darmian starting at RB and Tony V doing a job on Hazard and as the yellows roll in switch around!

Jose may opt for pace early on to Traveller out the defence with Rashford and Lingard running off Lukaku. With the thought of springing TonyM and Sanchez to use more guile on tired legs and minds. But just as easily and more obvious he choose to reverse that plan.

As long as he is not experimental with the personal I think we have a good shot! We did not exert too much against Sevilla they did put in a shift against Barca a days extra rest but their result was a sickener. Jose got the draw he set up for. Did I read this is the first home CL game Sevilla didn’t score in.

Walters_19_MuFc

he will play 3 in the engine and match them up. It’s Chelsea we are playing not Huddersfield
    Don’t be surprised if you see Young/Darmian starting at RB and Tony V doing a job on Hazard and as the yellows roll in switch around!

Jose may opt for pace early on to Traveller out the defence with Rashford and Lingard running off Lukaku. With the thought of springing TonyM and Sanchez to use more guile on tired legs and minds. But just as easily and more obvious he choose to reverse that plan.

As long as he is not experimental with the personal I think we have a good shot! We did not exert too much against Sevilla they did put in a shift against Barca a days extra rest but their result was a sickener. Jose got the draw he set up for. Did I read this is the first home CL game Sevilla didn’t score in.
    Chelsea, more often than not, don't play a three so we wouldn't be matching them up.

Also, when we played them away, we played a midfield two of Matic and Herrera as the double pivot.

I want to add that I'm assuming Jose plays with three at the back.

Morpheus 7

I predict a frustrating lineup but a surprisingly better performance with a narrow win. Chelsea haven't won at old Trafford in years, we aren't playing a great Chelsea side. Jose is going to have the boys up for this one. The wig will fly off Conte before it's over. Come on United!

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    What I want to see:

—————Lukaku
    Martial——————Sanchez

———Pogba——McTominay
    ——————Matic

Shaw-Jones-Bailly-Valencia

What we’ll likely see:

—————Lukaku
    Sanchez—————Mata

———Pogba——McTominay
    ——————Matic

Young-Jones-Smalling-Valencia

...with Martial subbing on for Mata in the 2nd half IF Chelsea takes the lead + Rashford on for McTominay while switching to a mid2 neutralizing Pogba.

lex talionis

The more I think about it, the more we actually need to beat Chelsea. But the path to victory is to defend and counter, giving Lukaku the Vardyesque room to rumble. No chance we'll break down Chelsea with lots of possession.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
    Scout
    Just saw Atkinson is the ref. :lol:

Red_toad

Dave
    Val, Mike, Bailly, Shaw
    Tommy, Matic, Pogba
    Alexis, Lukaku, Tony

Do it Jose, you know it makes sense...

Greck

In all honesty we were doing this against Sevilla. Depressing stuff
    We at least made attempts to play it on the ground against Sevilla. Think Jose has adjusted poorly to the popularisation of the high press. He says the way to beat it is to go long. Many big clubs use a high press so we're going to continue seeing hoofball in big games. It's been such a low percentage tactic so far and we only end up doing what the other team wants us to do (cough up the ball). Things probably look different if we had a Drogba up front. He clearly brought Lukaku to be a longball outlet but hasn't worked out. A huge error on his part was assuming Lukaku could play this role because of his physical appearance

Drawfull

If we win (I think we will draw), it would hopefully kick-start the end of our season and keep us in and around 2nd in the league. This place might cheer up a bit, too.

If we lose things could unravel quickly. Those hoping for a P45 for Jose need to be careful what they wish for.

Hopefully, Jose tries Sanchez on the right, allowing Martial and maybe Rashford later to feel at home on the left. Despite Jose stating that Sanchez can play across the front three, and the right seemingly being his least-favoured role, it has to happen. I think because of Jose's earlier comments, this won't necessarily be seen as him conceding weakness to the players or media or whatever.

I said in the Jose or Pogba/Martial thread before it was locked that the manager should always be king and that a couple of players shouldn't be allowed to disrupt the happiness/harmony of a squad of 25, and I stick by that. However, if the reported 'toxicity' spreads further, we'll be seriously in the shit. It can't be allowed to happen, either way.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    I'm dreading this one to be honest. Hoping we can get it together for the next couple of big games we've got, otherwise I fear we'll find ourselves battling for that top 4 spot in a few weeks when it should really be comfortable.

Also, Jose continuing to big up Chelsea in the presser has annoyed me. Needs to remember who currently pays his wages stop trying to remind people of stuff that happened years ago.
    I dread matches the times I know the team we're facing is in great form but this is a little different. I bore myself watching Chelsea play and United is even worse because as a fan I have to watch it all and can't turn the TV off when I feel like it.
    Result aside, how I wish for an exciting match.

SwSw

Just hope we put up a good performance and not lose the game. I do not want to go to bed angry and upset which has happen quite frequently the past few months.

Jaap

Just want us to attack with intensity like we did last season - if we play like we did v City this season, I‘d be massively disappointed in Mourinho AGAIN.

Super Nani

I don’t understand how, given all his previous clear mistakes in the games he’s reffed between us, the FA can allow Martin Atkinson to be in charge of this fixture again. It’s such an important game and they award it one of the absolute worst referee who has a tendency to make it about himself. Oh well, here’s hoping Jose gets the team selection right and we get a quality performance out of them.

Anything other than 3 points won’t be good enough, I’m sure De Gea will be his usual reliable self and I think defensively we will be ok as long as we keep Hazard quiet, if Bailly is back that will improve us and I’d prefer it if Mourinho goes with Shaw ahead of Young. We badly need to get a result here to get some revenge for the last game a few months ago.

Being at home I think we will edge it but I do worry that Fabregas and Kante might get the better of our midfield combination so we need to hope Pogba, Matic and McTominay are all on form. Really want Sanchez and Lukaku to get on the scoresheet too, they need some goals in big games for us to build confidence at this stage of the season.

GM K

Blind positivity.

We've been garbage for weeks.
    Not expecting it to turn against Chelsea.
    Its a big game and we all know how Jose will set up the team .

United will be 4th by the weekends finish
    Stop being so dramatic. We can never be fourth by the end of the weekend. We have a far superior goals difference to Chelsea and we are 4 points above Spurs. So even if we lose and Spurs wins, we'll stay third. This doesn't mean I am okay with seeing us third but it's just reality.

The reality is that the 5 teams below City have been largely inconsistent compared to City. What I have noticed throughout the season are patches of good and bad forms by these teams. We had a bad patch in December, we have had another one more recently. What I hope for is that we are done with this bad form and kick on till the end of the season. I'm guessing the other teams are also hoping they don't suffer any dip in form again.

The last weeks of the season will be one heck of a ride for United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and perhaps Arsenal. However badly we feel about how we have played recently (and justifiably so), it's time to get fully behind the team. They are going to need us badly.

GM K

Dave
    Val, Mike, Bailly, Shaw
    Tommy, Matic, Pogba
    Alexis, Lukaku, Tony

Do it Jose, you know it makes sense...
    Good team list except Bailly. I think it is a bad idea to keep changing center halves. I will stick to Lindelof and Smalling for the sake of consistency.
    I won't be surprised to see Bailly though. Jose has been switching center halves right from the start of the season and despite our defensive record, I think it is one of the reasons why the team seems to lack fluidity at times.

GM K

Midfield two or three?

ST - ST
    CAM

Or

LF ST RF

How it will it pan out?

Prediction

Interesting analysis.

But like I have said a lot recently, formation has not been our major problem. I want to see every single one of our boys show up on the pitch today. Whether Jose asks Martial to play on the right, left or center, I want to see him show heart, passion and energy. Whether Pogba is asked to play as right back, center half or striker, I want to see him do all the basics brilliantly and show leadership on the pitch. If all our players come to the party, we will get something from this game and enjoy watching it.

I am not saying formation and tactics won't be important but I just want to see our boys do the basics well and with passion. I'm getting tired of watching a team that is not stringing more than three passes together, not holding on to the ball, not supplying the forward line and hoofing the ball to the opponent every other minute.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
    Working today so I'll miss this but fecking hell I hope we win it.

I don't think I could stomach a "race to hold 4th spot" this season. Stressed enough as it is and I'm only 24.

United 3-1 Chelsea

A goal fest from out of nowhere.

Lowkey

If i see Cunte do one of his over the top celebrations at OT i will literally burst a vein. Cant stand that man. We best do him over, the team needs to stop playing like robots and realise its just a game of bloody football. I would be happy if we managed to string more than 5...no wait, 3 would be more realistic. Yes, 3 passes when we are past the halfway line and involves a midfielder and 2 of our attackers. That would be a positive.

Cant stand these rent boys! I want to see Martial on the left, Lukaku up top, and Sanchez on the right with Rashford to come on when the opposition are tired!

CM

Let's be real here. Our attack isn't going to find the fluidity or potency to dominate decent opposition overnight. If we need to park the bus to get a result, so be it.

If you want attacking football hire a new manager but till then let the current one get results the way he best knows how. Not worth risking top 4 trying to get him to adopt an unfamiliar style
    If we're being 'real', it isn't the attack that is the problem. These players are clearly capable of much better and have proved it in the games where they've been given license to play.

The attack looks the way it does because of the tactics employed by the manager. If that style was successful in eking out results, fair enough, but more often than not it just makes for dull performances and makes the club look reckless in the transfer market.

Water Melon

Interesting analysis.

But like I have said a lot recently, formation has not been our major problem. I want to see every single one of our boys show up on the pitch today. Whether Jose asks Martial to play on the right, left or center, I want to see him show heart, passion and energy. Whether Pogba is asked to play as right back, center half or striker, I want to see him do all the basics brilliantly and show leadership on the pitch. If all our players come to the party, we will get something from this game and enjoy watching it.

I am not saying formation and tactics won't be important but I just want to see our boys do the basics well and with passion. I'm getting tired of watching a team that is not stringing more than three passes together, not holding on to the ball, not supplying the forward line and hoofing the ball to the opponent every other minute.
    Showing heart and passion needs to match tactics and instructions. Whether to cover for your team mate or stick to your current position, to go for a tackle or not, to sprint forward and try playing a through ball or rather pass sideways to let another designated player to do it. Lots of things depend on what the manager tells his players, what coaches tell them to do and how these players are judged by their coaching staff. I doubt there is any problem with motivation in our squad, however, I see lots of confusion in our tactics and team play.

SirAF

Ageist
    WAIT! Atkinson is the ref? feck sake. Whaat the feck are they thinking. Nah, feck this.

Dex_Utd

Since title hopes are all gone, and top-4 is not reallly under threat, Jose is in a sweet spot with this one where all a normal fan expects is good fast attractive football hopefully resulting in a win. Without the extra pressure of 'must-win' games at this stage of the season, there is no reason to be going in this game with anything but a positive attacking intent. Would be a nice change from the slow boring cagey football we have started to serve lately.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
    I really can't wait for this game anymore. It's been a long time since I felt something like this last time.

Unfortunately, it quite possibly may mean that, in the evening, I'll be disappointed somehow. It happens every time when I can't wait, lads.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 79% of 908 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 615 ratings.