g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United vs FC Barcelona (International Champions Cup)

Hoof the ball

In my not-so-important opinion, it would be a big mistake to go 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 against Barcelona. It's okay playing flat systems against weaker sides, but against a team that'll keep the ball and press the living crap out of you when you have it, it'll just end up conceding even more possession to them than necessary. We have to approach it with three in midfield, have some numbers to keep the ball. LvG is big about controlling the game so I can't for the life of me think that 4-4-2 will do that on Saturday.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Erm, so not sure if anyone else is reading stories that the Bay Area is expecting a major earthquake in the next few days :eek:

wiz4231

De Gea
Johnstone

Darmian...Smalling....Rojo...Shaw
Valencia...Jones......Evans...Blind

Herrera....Carrick
Bastian....Morgan

Di Maria...........Mata.........Memphis
Januzaj..........Pereira............Young

Rooney
Hernandez​

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I don't know if I'm allowed to share videos in the United forum?

...but the last time we played Barcelona pre-season was six months after Scholes had come out of retirement. He bossed it and won man of the match.

Imagine having this range of passing in our current squad :drool:

Rezyuz

Tbh LVG should credit those who performed regardless of his "standard XI". It would be utter ridiculous to drop out Pereira for example who has shined the past 2 matches just because we now play vs Barcelona.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don't know if I'm allowed to share videos in the United forum?

...but the last time we played Barcelona pre-season was six months after Scholes had come out of retirement. He bossed it and won man of the match.

Imagine having this range of passing in our current squad :drool:

Just unreal.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
It confuses me why we are playing 442 when lvg said we'd be playing with one central striker (rooney). Is it just that 442 managed to get certain players playing more for pre season?can't quite work out how.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It confuses me why we are playing 442 when lvg said we'd be playing with one central striker (rooney). Is it just that 442 managed to get certain players playing more for pre season?can't quite work out how.
Exactly, it's the best balance to get every player on the pitch In a familiar position. I think in these next 2 games we will start to see a team shape form closer to what he wants.

Kaos

De Gea
Johnstone

Darmian...Smalling....Rojo...Shaw
Valencia...Jones......Evans...Blind

Herrera....Carrick
Bastian....Morgan

Di Maria...........Mata.........Memphis
Januzaj..........Pereira............Young

Rooney
Hernandez​
Looks beastly but you can only field 11 at a time.

Varun

Staff
We'll spank them to give them an idea of the fecking they'll receive in the CL finals this year.

Tibs

DDG will play, he'll have a game of a life time resulting in us beating Barca 3-0, Madrid weep

Brightonian

It's not 442, it's 4231 with Memphis behind the striker. No matter how MUTV insist on presenting it, that's how it has played out on the pitch.

Hopefully at some point it will slip into 433 with Memphis on the left and Herrera added to the Carrick-Schneiderlin midfield.

ravelston

And 4-2-3-1 is essentially a point forward 4-3-3 which is LvG's preferred system. I can't get over the number of posters posting point backward 4-3-3's - as though, having finally got 4 DMs, we're only going to play one at a time - bizarre.

Irrational.

Last time we beat them in a friendly a certain Cleverley bossed the midfield and Michael Owen grabbed the winner. At least we still have - oh wait.

Devil may care

I wouldn't have Blind at CB, he might not cope with Barcelona. I would bring Smalling back in.
Blind at CB is a disaster waiting to happen. He's slow, weak and of average height.
I'm just going off the fact that I think LvG likes at least one of the CB's to be good on the ball, so I can see him pairing Blind with Jones who will provide the meat and pace. It's not what I'd personally choose.

Havak

Pokemon master
de Gea
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Carrick Schneiderlin
Mata Herrera Memphis
Rooney​

Replace Carrick, Jones, Shaw, Mata, Herrera, Depay, Rooney after 60~ minutes with Schweinsteiger, McNair, Blind, Pereira, Lingard, Januzaj, and Wilson. Maybe Blackett on for Smalling too.

Leave out Evans and Young now if it's looking likely they'll go. If de Gea doesn't play at all then I reckon it's the final nail in the coffin on this transfer saga and he might as well fly home.

Castia

--------------------De Gea---------------------
Damian------Smalling---Jones---------shaw
------------------schweinstiger----------------
-----------Herrera-----------schneiderlin--------
Mata---------------Rooney------------Memphis

This team would make me so unbelievably happy and I would instantly be filled with greater hope that LVG knows what his best lineup is going into the season. I wouldn't mind if carrick was in CDM but aside from that I wouldn't want anything else to be different from that team really.
My big worry is that LVG just won't do this and will instead try and keep experimenting while what he should be doing is fully testing his best lineup.

Best line-up for me.

ChaddyP

The height won't be the problem. Barca pinging the ball about will be. Blind is as slow as hell.
I know the height won't be a problem which is why I'm wondering why it was mentioned in the first instance.

Point being he's not suitable for cb. Play Rojo or Jones there instead.
Yes I agree that he shouldn't start at CB. But I had issue with the height as a reason which is why I put that part in bold. Rojo won't play he's not even back from holidays yet.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
You guys will probably win this one. I just want to see a more balanced lineup with more youngsters out there playing alongside veterans. No more Douglas please. Wanna see Samper, Halilovic, Munir and Rafinha. Too bad Grimaldo and Adama weren't called up, weird decision by Lucho. Other than that, I'd love to see a pairing of Vermaelen and Bartra out there. The midfield battle will be very interesting against your starters.

Tiki taka is still on..

Poor Halilovic :lol:

We need to see more of him before out there before shipping him off somewhere.