Manchester United vs FC Barcelona (International Champions Cup)

redevil2

LVG said that DDG might play this game. I think he will go with this:

-------------------DDG--------------
Darmian---Smalling---Jones---Shaw
----------Carrick------Schneiderlin---
------------------Herrera--------------
----------Mata------------Young------
------------------Rooney--------------

Schweini, Depay and Blind to come on in the 60th minute.
DDG is just coming out of injury and he will be playing this more important (and difficult) game? Hmmm

Hoof the ball

I don't know if I'm allowed to share videos in the United forum?

...but the last time we played Barcelona pre-season was six months after Scholes had come out of retirement. He bossed it and won man of the match.

Imagine having this range of passing in our current squad :drool:

Correct if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the pre-season game where Cleverley came on at half-time and looked like the second coming of Andres Iniesta?

I remember Redcafe going overboard after this game about Cleverley being the solution.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Correct if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the pre-season game where Cleverley came on at half-time and looked like the second coming of Andres Iniesta?

I remember Redcafe going overboard after this game about Cleverley being the solution.
Think that was the 2-1 wasn't it? We were in red. Michael Owen scored ffs.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin

I'm not sure, the game in the video was in Gothenburg - all I remember was Scholes started alongside Anderson and both played 90 minutes.

Still though, even if Cleverley did cause a stir in that fixture or prior to it, his big performance was something of a one-off. Scholes on the other hand had been playing like in the video for his whole career :drool: Not to turn this thread into a Scholesy love-in.

redevil2

It's a pre season friendly. It's just as important as the last 2 were.
In a way yes, but the challenge is somewhat different. Players psychology should be taken into account. A win against Barca should be somewhat more gratifying than against the earthquake for example. That said, we don't know how recovered is DDG. Maybe he's super fit we don't know. But a player who's been injured without training can't be better than Johnston. All of us can only speculate.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
For me the most interesting question tomorrow will be if we continue with 4231 or revert to 433.

Against such a strong opponent I prefer we play with a strong midfield, hopefully a trio of MC/MFS/AH, with BFS as a substitute. The other instresting part will be Memphis position. Will he overtake Young in 433 system?

I also expect us to play with Darmian/Smalling/Jones/Shaw in our defense. Maybe Evans will have a sniff at the LCB but only after 60 minutes. Time will tell.

The last interesting selection is who's going to be our starting GK. if DDG doesn't start I expect he's gone.

My predicted line up

DDG
MD/CS/PJ/LS
AH/MC/MS
JM/WR/AY

Sam

I think he'll go with:

De Gea

Darmian Jones Blind Shaw

Mata Schneiderlin Carrick Young

---------- Depay

Rooney​
I just don't get why he's suddenly settled on this 4-4-1-1...4-3-3 has always been his favourite formation, and we now have the personnel to play it :confused:

Hed Zitin

Won't see Jones and Smalling. Got to have that left footed CB.

I don't like that lineup in all honesty. Two conservative CM's, but they'll be outnumbered by Barca's three. I don't like Mata out wide. Blind over Smalling is just wrong.

Much rather see:

De Gea
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Herrera Schneiderlin Carrick
Young Rooney Memphis​

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Bad signs ahead for United if Van Gaal persist with this lineup into the season. It reminds me of the 3-5-2 fiasco of last season. I rather see us play the formation and players that we are going to use starting next season, instead of using a system that we are most likely to change.

On another note, I would think Smalling will be playing ahead of Blind in the center back role, but Van Gaal seems adamant about having a left footed left back. Blind could be our converted defensive midfield to center back ala "masherano", but I feel Smalling is a much better center back. However, I would imagine that once Rojo comes back, he will be preferred based of that supposed philosophy.

Moreover, the attack does not fill me with any confidence and our midfield is more organized and conservative rather than creative and imaginative. The latter is a problem because our attack seems to lack creativity without Di Maria and our primary source was long ball to fellaini towards the end of last season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bad signs ahead for United if Van Gaal persist with lineup into the season. It reminds me of the 3-5-2 fiasco of last season. I would think Smalling will be playing ahead of Blind in the center back role, but Van Gaal seems adamant about having a left footed left back. Blind could be our converted defensive midfield to center back ala "masherano", but I feel Smalling is a much better center back. However, I would imagine that once Rojo comes back, he will be preferred based of that supposed philosophy.

Moreover, the attack does not fill me with any confidence and our midfield is more organized and conservative rather than creative and imaginative. The latter is a problem because our attack seems to lack creativity without Di Maria and our primary source was long ball to fellaini towards the end of last season.
Also he seems to shouting out loud and clear to Spurs what the lineup against them will be. I thought he never did that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I just don't get why he's suddenly settled on this 4-4-1-1...4-3-3 has always been his favourite formation, and we now have the personnel to play it :confused:
I agree I think 4-3-3 is by far the better formation as it allows the midfield to have greater numbers and so it never gets overrun especially against strong opposition. I wonder if perhaps this is a way of getting Memphis and young into the same side, but I would much prefer to see Memphis playing as a wide forward on the left wing. My final fear is that if van Gaal intents to stick with the 4-4-1-1 rather than the 4-3-3 then Herrera may be forced out of the team because I'm not convinced van Gaal sees him as his first choice number 10. In my opinion this could really hold us back at the start of the season.

Walters_19_MuFc

It's more of a 4231 and Van Gaal has always expressed a 4231 as a 433, because technically, it is really. 3 midfielders (2 defensive and 1 attacking) and 3 attackers.

He played the exact same way at Bayern, with Muller as the attacking midfielder, and Van Bommel and Bastian holding.

Crashoutcassius

in fairness he played this way at bayern... and he played 4-4-2 at his previous club. He played 3-5-2 in most games with Holland I guess.

He hasn't played 4-3-3 regularly since 2003 with barce?

I think we are looking very like his Bayern team that had van bommel and schweinsteiger in CM with Muller up front with Olic and robery and robben on the wings. In fairness it worked incredibly well in his first season there

He's very flexible and his wife knows it

Crashoutcassius

It's more of a 4231 and Van Gaal has always expressed a 4231 as a 433, because technically, it is really. 3 midfielders (2 defensive and 1 attacking) and 3 attackers.

He played the exact same way at Bayern, with Muller as the attacking midfielder, and Van Bommel and Bastian holding.

Ah you beat me to it

Gerald G

The strongest part of our team is clearly the midfield. We were better with the 4-3-3 last year, surely it would make sense to stick with it? I'll be disappointed going into the new season playing this 4-2-3-1/4-4-2.

Brightonian

The strongest part of our team is clearly the midfield. We were better with the 4-3-3 last year, surely it would make sense to stick with it? I'll be disappointed going into the new season playing this 4-2-3-1/4-4-2.
Same. Although this does feel like a luxury problem to have compared to the start of last season when Van Gaal was playing three at the back, Blackett was first choice, 8 out of the 11 players on the pitch were perpetually out of position and no-one had a fecking clue what was going to turn up on that pitch week in week out.

That said, it'd be mad after last season for Herrera to once again end up not being a starter. It took LVG 6+ months to figure that one out, you'd've thought the lesson would've sunk in.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I see Bastian F*cking Schweinsteiger (BFS) is out with a minor injury & wont play against Barca. LvG wont risk him & that's a good call, but a real kick in the feckin teeth though :(

He told reporters: "Bastian F*cking Schweinsteiger cannot play because he had a little injury.

"I never talk about the injury. I say only it is a minor issue and I don't take risks in preparation time. He shall not even play for 30 minutes. Bastian F*cking Schweinsteiger y'all.."

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...insteiger-to-miss-barcelona-clash_235279.html

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Is this match on live TV anywhere or will it have to be found another way?

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Pre season or not.This should give some inclination on how we are coming along under LVG.

prarek

I see Bastian F*cking Schweinsteiger (BFS) is out with a minor injury & wont play against Barca. LvG wont risk him & that's a good call, but a real kick in the feckin teeth though :(

He told reporters: "Bastian F*cking Schweinsteiger cannot play because he had a little injury.

"I never talk about the injury. I say only it is a minor issue and I don't take risks in preparation time. He shall not even play for 30 minutes. Bastian F*cking Schweinsteiger y'all.."

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...insteiger-to-miss-barcelona-clash_235279.html
Did he really say Bastian? :eek:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Pre season or not.This should give some inclination on how we are coming along under LVG.
Pre season or not. We massacred a number of big clubs last summer and it gave some inclination of the season to come under LVG. Pre season or not.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pre season or not. We massacred a number of big clubs last summer and it gave some inclination of the season to come under LVG. Pre season or not.
Pre-season means nothing. It's nice winning, but the Spurs game is all that matters.

crossy1686

career ending
Man, I am looking forward to this game. Due to time zone differences, this will be the first of our pre-season matches I'll watch live.

I watched the season review of 1998/1999 last night and I am pumped for the season to start now!