Manchester United vs Tottenham (Thu 25th July, 12:30 UK time)

Funky Futurista

You're joking if you think Bailly's defending style is anything close to normal.
Whatever you say, mate. You think it's unusual to have a defender going into tackles on the front foot and throwing himself in front of shots? I think he's reckless, but according to you he's the only one in professional football who does so, it seems.

eltigreFalcao

From what we've seen so far, it seems like the best XI at our disposal ATM is something like:

De Gea
W.Bisakka Smalling Lindelof Shaw
McTomminay Pogba
Greenwood Pereira Martial
Rashford
Nothing to get too excited about, but some of the lads seem to be really improving this pre season, namely Mct, Pereira, Martial, Greenwood. Still, IMO, we need to improve CB and RW and get proper cover/improve CM, LB, CF

KennyBurner

Rashfords touch is too heavy for a number 9. Are we really going into the season with him as our main guy? Im going to have to just get used to the mediocrity.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I am really struggling to understand why we would have Mata on the right wing and Lingard in the #10. If they are both on the field at the same time then they should switch positions. We have absolutely no pace down the right...

Spielmacher

Whatever you say, mate. You think it's unusual to have a defender going into tackles on the front foot and throwing himself in front of shots? I think he's reckless, but according to you he's the only one in professional football who does so, it seems.
By far the most reckless I've ever spotted, yes. It's exciting, but it's not good defending if he's constantly out of position and needs to use all his pace and physicality to challenge. To come back to your first statement, it's definitely his fault.

Tiber

We will never catch the likes of City while we persist with the likes of Fred, Rojo and Matic - even as squad players. We need to do what City did and get rid of the deadwood, even if that means accepting a 'bad deal' It took a lifetime to get rid of Fellaini, he somehow even got a contract extension - we need to end this BS. Even our bench players need to be better than this lot

IDK, maybe this is a little harsh on Fred after 1 year, but I don't see a player in him at all

el3mel

I am really struggling to understand why we would have Mata on the right wing and Lingard in the #10. If they are both on the field at the same time then they should switch positions. We have absolutely no pace down the right...
It doesn't matter. Lingard is also shite on the right. Both shouldn't be playing together in the same formation.

manunited1919

And no quality in the middle.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah really weird one that, Mata is useless wide, and Lingard isn't clever or neat enough on the ball centrally.

Alemar

Matic, Mata, Lingard bring absolutely no value at all. They shouldn't be on the bench (let alone start). Shaw less than impressive today, either

NJM78

It's what we do, doesnt matter who the manager is it seems players will be played out of position. If only Mata had Lingards pace, he is twice the player in every other aspect.

overtheborder

Not getting too worried with the friendlies to be honest. Get the mistakes out of the system, get match fit properly, i'm not reading too much into it.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
From what we've seen so far, it seems like the best XI at our disposal ATM is something like:

De Gea
W.Bisakka Smalling Lindelof Shaw
McTomminay Pogba
Greenwood Pereira Martial
Rashford
Nothing to get too excited about, but some of the lads seem to be really improving this pre season, namely Mct, Pereira, Martial, Greenwood. Still, IMO, we need to improve CB and RW and get proper cover/improve CM, LB, CF
Think I'd have James over Greenwood at the start of the season, and Lingard will likely start over both.

AM is going to be interesting if we don't sign anyone, no one has really nailed that one down.

greendevil

Glad people are finally noticing how bad Matic is! I know Smalling/Jones/Rojo get a lot of stick but Matic deserves the same or more. Always wants it on his left, slows down play with the amount of touches he takes and really offers nothing of note. One of the goals Everton scored against us when they gave us a hiding showed how bad he is and nothing really said about it

Litch

If only Smalling played this half. Would get some amazing comments. Morons the lot of you. Matic has zero to do with everyone being bad.
Agree. Wholesale changes with some square pegs in round holes and people are comparing the two teams like they would be set up this way. Did anyone see our CB pairings in the first half? People just need to enjoy the half for what it is rather than bloody bringing their own agenda about players they probably didn't rate anyway.

ash_86

Lingard and Matic had the poorest pre season among all the players.

Funky Futurista

By far the most reckless I've ever spotted, yes. It's exciting, but it's not good defending if he's constantly out of position and needs to use all his pace and physicality to challenge. To come back to your first statement, it's definitely his fault.
And as I said in my first post, it's not his fault he's made of glass. Yes he would probably have to alter his playing style to be able to play without having an injury, but at the same time it's not like he made his body so fragile, is it?
As stated here before, he didn't have these problems in his first season here either.

Canagel

This front three of Lingard, Rashford and Mata is very average and barely carry any threat.

Patrick08

He was finished when we signed him. There is a reason why we are in this mess
Had a similar view back then, when Fabinho was begging to come here :houllier:, many of experienced posters too found a way to twist arguments in his favour.