Manuel Neuer

Aaron

On Gibson's goal I think the issue for the keeper may have been that he appeared to have been anticipating shifting his body to his right but had to readjust and as a result his left leg could not be shifted in time and he tried to get down as quick as he could, but couldn't.

If he had fully shifted his body to the right and then dived back left to try and avoid the goal, the outcome would have been the same, most likely.

Commadus

Gibson absolutely leathered the ball and it can be difficult to get down quickly to a ball that is low down and close to you like that.

A goal-keeping error all the same but nothing like Gomes' cock-up against Chelsea.
Quite simple Neuer had no knowledge of Gibson power shot he simply knelt to stop what he thought would be an average shot but was stunned by the power - look at his face when the ball goes in - he's not angry as much as shocked.

If you play against players you have knowledge about you can pretty well predict what they will do and thus anticipate well by moving into position early.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Agree - fooled by the early shot and the power. Not a terrible error by any means.

Aaron

I've seen them both play but I think it is very, very hard to 'scout' a keeper, casually. A few good saves can make him look better than his ability and a few poor decisions can make him look worse than he is.

I don't think it's the same as looking at a striker in this respect. Most goals ARE savable but because they're not saved doesn't mean the keeper is having a bad day.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
I've seen them both play but I think it is very, very hard to 'scout' a keeper, casually. A few good saves can make him look better than his ability and a few poor decisions can make him look worse than he is.

I don't think it's the same as looking at a striker in this respect. Most goals ARE savable but because they're not saved doesn't mean the keeper is having a bad day.
Agreed.

I mean its evident that both of them are capable of good saves, but my question was more in terms of the fact that which one of them looks more composed at the back ? Not hassled and can command the backline adequately without looking intimidated because of any other factors.

Aaron

Agreed.

I mean its evident that both of them are capable of good saves, but my question was more in terms of the fact that which one of them looks more composed at the back ? Not hassled and can command the backline adequately without looking intimidated because of any other factors.
Neuer to me looks a man more confident within his own skin. Commanding too. He strikes me as someone who, if he came out and made a howler, as all keepers will from time to time, he'll give a bollocking to the random left back for no reason. A bit like Schmeichel in a way.

He'd still be my first choice for that (among other) reasons. If we're looking for a keeper who is error free, we may as well give up now. I think personality is vital. You cannot be a shrinking violet and succeed at the club in that position.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I know feck all about either keeper bar what I've read and slight amounts I've seen, but De Gea did a great pinpoint kick (that type that Reina does) to set up a counter last week.

prateik

Was watching the MUTV pre match show for the Schalke game and arthur albiston pointed out that both the goals in the first leg were low shots.
IIrc all 4 goals last night were low as well

He saved the Anderson shot that looked like going into the top corner. The Rooney shot that he saved and the Giggs header in the first leg werent along the ground either.

Is it a weakness that we had picked up on or just coincidence?

Nucks

RT History Department
The Gibson goal was 100% about physics.

It was fired from relatively close range, and it was hit very hard. Neuer got to the ball, if it had less pace on it, it is a save. Since the ball was struck very hard, the ball simply carried on through the stop, a softer shot would have deflected further and not been a goal.

Give Gibson credit for the goal, it wasn't a mistake.

Nucks

RT History Department
Just watching the goals from their game against Bayern at the weekend, he coceded 3 out of the 4 from low shots. In saying that he pulled of a couple of quality saves aswell from low shots.

YouTube - Bayern vs Schalke 4-1 Highlights -.flv
The only one I think he really could have saved was the first. Looked like he should have been covering the far side of the goal a little more. Then again, had the ball gone near side you could make the same argument. Still it looked stoppable. The other 3 he was just SOL.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
One thing i noticed is his kicking is pretty poor, impressed otherwise

^Red Devil^

Football: Manuel Neuer transfer is not in the bag
[Bild: Fußball: Manuel Neuer-Transfer noch nicht in trockenen Tüchern]
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, chairman of Bayern Munich, expressed his concern recently that he was not sure if Munich, FC Schalke 04 agreement for a transfer fee for goalkeeper Manuel Neuer is (short news) reported. The doubts are now growing by Rummenigge.

"I do not expect that there is a conversation in which one finds a quick consensus. I am also not convinced that Bayern and Schalke are a price that is to the liking of both. That is, you then just finds no consensus, "he announced.

Bayern Munich want to spend right now only 14 million € for New. This offer was Munich and Schalke 04 Schalke still insists on a transfer fee of 25 million €. Bayern Munich has now been in Mainz goalkeeper Heinz Muller as a temporary target.

Fußball: Manuel Neuer-Transfer noch nicht in trockenen Tüchern

Cina

I kind of wish they'd just sign him and get it over with now and leave my hopes be.

wr8_utd

:'(
Bayern Munich have turned their attention to Mainz goalkeeper Heinz Muller after admitting they are unlikely to reach an agreement with Schalke to sign Manuel Neuer.

The Bavarians have made their first offer for the Germany number one, but it is believed to be little over half of Schalke's asking price, making Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge sceptical about a deal being reached.

"I don't really think we are going to find a quick agreement," he told the Bild newspaper. "And I am also not convinced that Bayern and Schalke will find a price which suits them both, but we will have to wait and see - the transfer window is still open for four more months."

Muller has therefore emerged as a new candidate to be understudy to Hans-Jorg Butt, who recently extended his contract by a year.

Bayern's director of sport Christian Nerlinger has already made initial contact with the player's agent and further talks could take place if the Neuer deal turns into a stalemate. "We will definitely be signing a new goalkeeper," revealed Rummenigge.

However, Muller may be just as difficult to get. "We certainly don't have any intention of selling him," said Mainz general manager Christian Heidel.

:drool:

Brophs

The One and Only
Schalke are in a shit position. He wants to go to Bayern, doesn't want to lead the country and he has a year left on his deal. There's no chance they'll get their asking price for him.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Schalke will fold, the talk from Bayern at the moment is just a bargaining position, Schalke are in no position to play hard ball over the transfer fee when he's only got a year left on his deal, unless they're happy to lose the transfer fee to have him for another season.

Cina

Exactly. It sounds like we already have our GK picked and almost sorted anyway. Either De Gea or SKelenegebnerngenberg (likely).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

"I don't really think we are going to find a quick agreement,. And I am also not convinced that Bayern and Schalke will find a price which suits them both, but we will have to wait and see - the transfer window is still open for four more months."

Not convinced this is not another ruse

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Even if they buy Heinz Müller (only as a 2nd goalkeeper), they would still want Neuer, but then only next year and put Butt in goal for another season.

Cina

We've obviously gotten our keeper already, we won't go near Neuer now.

jeston

What's so funny about that? Have you not seen the two of them playing? Neuer is a far superior goalkeeper.
He's laughing at the fact you seem to have neglected the past 20 pages of the thread, dismiss all the news/stories about him, us and Bayern and just suggested "we should buy him"

Donkey's Ears

Schalke are in a shit position. He wants to go to Bayern, doesn't want to lead the country and he has a year left on his deal. There's no chance they'll get their asking price for him.
Yes but if the price Bayern offer is sufficiently low it might be worth keeping him.