Marcel Sabitzer - (Use the Player Performance thread to discuss his matchday performances)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
But it was his opinion and he wasn't necessarily wrong. Thats the beauty of opinions. Not everyone has to say the same thing. He just gave a different perspective on it. I disagree with him but I don't see what the whole world has to get their knickers in a twist over it.
It's that with Merson you get the distinct feeling he hasn't watched the player and is making his opinions based on his gut feeling, which in this case is 'United + player I don't know much about who doesn't play for FCB = bad panic buy'. It's his opinion and he's every right to say it but in turn I've every right to suspect the bloke is serving up the fast food burgers of football opinion.

Kaizane

I'm probably missing someone obvious but is this our first ever Austrian player?

Good people, the Austrians. Never known of a bad one
Apart from that one who started a world war. Can't knock them for Arnie though.

On a separate note, it's good to see the club finally starting to operate with a sense that they know what the heck they're actually doing for once.

Great signing!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

On a separate note, it's good to see the club finally starting to operate with a sense that they know what the heck they're actually doing for once.

Great signing!
Meh tbh it’s the British royalty that started the world war by trying conquering the world.

Edwards6

Just heard Paul Merson’s comment about this deal. Do these pundits actually think before they speak? If Sabitzer has been signed due to injuries primarily Eriksen, but also Donny etc. How would United have prepared for it before the injury? And that’s usually the way it goes, you don’t sign Bayern Munich’s main midfielder in January to cover injury. It’s a short term signing, one that I think might end up being better than Eriksen overall due to his better physical ability.
Funny how he criticised the Sabitzer signing because he can't get in the Bayern team but he praised Jorginho as a good signing even though he can't get in the Chelsea team

glasgow 21

Merson is same as all of the Arsenal ex players. If A.Carroll had ended Partey's or Ødegaard's season they would have been up in arms. What is a panic buy ? I was driving along and hit a pothole , panicked my way to nearest Tyre suppliers for a new tyre as it was needed what exactly was the panic about that. These Arsenal bias pundits would be all over us if we hadn't. "Look we got Jorginho to cover for Partey and he isn't even injured, etc"

Reactions: Penna

Resch

Great signing!
We started every WW, the 1st and the 2nd. That's the reason the war in Ukraine could not become a WW, because no Austrian started it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
And Arsenal paid 12 million for a player who's out of contract in 6 months.

Merson is famous for talking rubbish. Look at his comments when KDB was joining City. Ignorant little Englander.

Eleven-Eighteen

Shame about no option to buy. Always good to have that in case he now becomes a real good fit.
I'd imagine ironing out those additional set of clauses would not have been possible in the timeframe, so the club just chose to go for the most straightforward deal that was acceptable to all three parties

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its seems that Merson qualities of pundit is at par to that of when he was a player. Sabitzer can't be a panic buy as we didn't even bought the guy. He is a 6 month loan. In such circumstances (ie we couldn't spend money and we had to rely on loans) then he is the Cadillac of transfers.

And Arsenal paid 12 million for a player who's out of contract in 6 months.

Merson is famous for talking rubbish. Look at his comments when KDB was joining City. Ignorant little Englander.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Never thought Sportacus from Lazy Town would be playing for United

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Defensively he might give us more and he has a better engine than Eriksen but I don’t think that’s the way to look at it. He is closer to being as good as Eriksen ON the ball than anyone else we’ve got and nowhere close to as good as Case defensively.
He is not asked to play DM, but just a bit more energy and aggressiveness from Sabitzer compared to Eriksen already should give Casemiro a bit more freedom - which is good because Casemiro is really good higher up the pitch as well.

It's just a different setup. With Eriksen in midfield, Casemiro had to be very careful when moving higher. He seems more dangerous when playing with Fred as well.

Kaizane

We started every WW, the 1st and the 2nd. That's the reason the war in Ukraine could not become a WW, because no Austrian started it.
Ahh don't be so hard on yourselves, we're all Franz here now.

space

Really happy about this. Regardless of how it works out he's a player I've always liked.

RuudTom83

EtH is big on fitness so he might get the Casemiro treatment and not appear for a few weeks.

Upcoming fixtures are Forest, Palace, Leeds x2 then the big one against Barca.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He will give his all just like Weghorst. And sometimes thats all it takes

Olecurls99

Same boat here but it’s hard for me to excited when our midfield is worse with him in it from what we had simply a week ago
Not sure about that. Eriksen has been fantastic but this guy is definitely more athletic and has superb technical ability.

Wrecking ralf

So you think he’s more like Fred than Kovacic? I have my massive doubt if he’s anything like Fred.
I think he’s actually better than both. He’s just as press resistant as Fred although I feel his tackling is better. His passing is definitely better and his shooting is leagues above. Fred will chase down a player to make a tackle though where Sabitzer uses his positioning to be in the right place to make a tackle. There’s a compilation of him playing against us on YouTube that shows all of this.

Reactions: Penna

OrcaFat

He is not asked to play DM, but just a bit more energy and aggressiveness from Sabitzer compared to Eriksen already should give Casemiro a bit more freedom - which is good because Casemiro is really good higher up the pitch as well.

It's just a different setup. With Eriksen in midfield, Casemiro had to be very careful when moving higher. He seems more dangerous when playing with Fred as well.
Oh yeah I think he’ll fill in better if Case does go for a wander.

Real Name

Case doesn’t get rushed out of possession by the press much. He’s good at passing us through the press.
It's a joke from Case thread, one poster whose name I cant recall right now claimed he's shit at press resisting.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The thing that annoys me is that this proves that there obviously was money there all along.

Why not support the manager and bring this guy in on loan a month ago? He’s someone that ETH rates highly. We were at bare bones before Eriksen’s injury ffs.

ThreeCorners

Seems to be an all rounder, looks pretty decent at everything (passing, shooting, tackling, etc.)
Also impressed with how two footed he is.

I'm starting to notice a trend with ETH, in that he really likes players with high work rates.
Would have been interesting to see how he would have dealt with Pogba.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RuudTom83

He's made 24 appearances for Bayern this season, he is already match fit.
With the WC and the longer break in Germany he hasn't had much football in the last 2 months.

Since the league restart (looking on skysports stats) I think he has only made 2 sub appearances, coming on at 60 mins and 90 mins...so he will need some time to get up to speed for sure.

But hopefully I'm wrong and he will be ready for the weekend ;)

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The thing that annoys me is that this proves that there obviously was money there all along.

Why not support the manager and bring this guy in on loan a month ago? He’s someone that ETH rates highly. We were at bare bones before Eriksen’s injury ffs.
Yeah I was thinking about this earlier too. Say if Eriksen's injury happened a few weeks later and we didn't bring anyone in for example. But anyway, it hasn't happened that way I suppose, luckily.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

We haven't spent a penny in this window? If anything, the club is probably down on wage spending with Ronaldo gone.

stu_1992

Very happy with this move. And also pleasantly surprised that we managed to get something organised on short notice. Was feeling quite pessimistic about the rest of the season after the Eriksen news but this is about a good a player you're going to get on short notice.

Obviously a different profile of player, but one that we perhaps needed even if he was out. We'll have to adapt with Eriksen injured but I'm hopeful Sabitzer can bring a lot to the team.

Glorio

Fair point, however I wonder if Sabitzer himself would have been willing to come on loan (specifically for game time) if he didn't see a way into the starting 11

Bogga

His English is great. Like you expected @Blackwidow
I'm actually amazed when players speak no english whatsoever... did they grow up in some obscure village that has no internet or contact with the outside world?
If you watch videos on youtube and some guy visits slums of some random african country, most of them speak ok english