Marco Asensio

RedCurry

Asensio is a modern #10. Half midfielder half forward. Martial is a modern forward

Very different players
I'll take your word for it. But he never actually plays midfield when I watch him. He's either playing left forward or second striker for most games. He is also competing with Bale, Isco and Ronaldo for a starting position not Modric, Kroos and Casemiro.

Martial plays as a winger/wing forward. Sure, semantically speaking they play different positions. They both play in front of the midfield and hence it's quite fair to judge them based on their productivity I feel.

Deleted member 101472

Football fans here told me:

1. Martial is one of the best young talents.
2. Dembele > Martial
3. Mbappe > Dembele
4. Assensio > Mbappe

Then I look at his career and he has 18 goals in La Liga and CL combined. Martial is far more accomplished if you go by the number of goals scored. They are both of the same age. Something doesn't add up.

But he scored 2 goals in his last La Liga game, maybe that's made him better than Mbappe who some have claimed is the best young talent since CR7 and R9.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a talented player but I am just surprised that it takes only a handful performances for people to claim that a young player is the next big thing.
I think a lot of it comes down to how you perceive football. Technique and effortlessness is what gets me, and asensio oozes it. As soon as you watch him play, it's apparent he has godly talent. Thiago had the same impression aswell, you can just tell when a player is so much better than pretty much everyone around him.

Deleted member 101472

Temp bans for people saying we should try and buy him. Some people really just don't get football.

RedCurry

I think a lot of it comes down to how you perceive football. Technique and effortlessness is what gets me, and asensio oozes it. As soon as you watch him play, it's apparent he has godly talent. Thiago had the same impression aswell, you can just tell when a player is so much better than pretty much everyone around him.
Sometimes we get too caught up in a single skill of a player but that's fine. It's okay to say, for example, Asensio has far better control than Mbappe and quite frankly one of the best long range shot by the looks of it. It's not fair to say that he's a far better player though, because he hasn't proven that. Mbappe is much more accomplished already and he's three years younger.

I personally preferred Berbatov and his silky touch to most strikers in the league. His touch was definitely the best I've ever seen. I couldn't stop admiring him. But it would be silly to say that he was better than Shearer, because he just wasn't.

What works in Asensio's favor is that he's playing for Real already and Mbappe looks set to ruin his career by joining PSG but that's for another thread.

Deleted member 101472

Sometimes we get too caught up in a single skill of a player but that's fine. It's okay to say, for example, Asensio has far better control than Mbappe and quite frankly one of the best long range shot by the looks of it. It's not fair to say that he's a far better player though, because he hasn't proven that. Mbappe is much more accomplished already and he's three years younger.

I personally preferred Berbatov and his silky touch to most strikers in the league. His touch was definitely the best I've ever seen. I couldn't stop admiring him. But it would be silly to say that he was better than Shearer, because he just wasn't.

What works in Asensio's favor is that he's playing for Real already and Mbappe looks set to ruin his career by joining PSG but that's for another thread.
Not quite sure why it will ruin his career.

Asensio will be the better player IMO.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think they're similar players. Just said they play in the same position and indicated my sources. If they're wrong, they're wrong.
Position means nothing for most modern attacking players, and certainly in regards to asensio

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'll take your word for it. But he never actually plays midfield when I watch him. He's either playing left forward or second striker for most games. He is also competing with Bale, Isco and Ronaldo for a starting position not Modric, Kroos and Casemiro.

Martial plays as a winger/wing forward. Sure, semantically speaking they play different positions. They both play in front of the midfield and hence it's quite fair to judge them based on their productivity I feel.
Asensio doesn't have a fixed position on the pitch. He plays a free role. He doesn't compete with Kroos/Modric because he's more attacking and has goals in him, and we have options to replace those two without the need to play Asensio in a stricter role

And i don't think it's fair to judge young players on productivity alone. Neither guy is the complete article yet, and Martial doesn't play with the same positional/tactical freedom afforded Asensio.

RedCurry

Not quite sure why it will ruin his career.

Asensio will be the better player IMO.
Did you have the same opinion a month ago? If not, then how can one La Liga game and two pre-season cup games change your opinion? Maybe you never rated Mbappe, then fair enough.

Deleted member 101472

Did you have the same opinion a month ago? If not, then how can one La Liga game and two pre-season cup games change your opinion? Maybe you never rated Mbappe, then fair enough.
Started to take notice of both around the same time, and then asensio was just phenomenal in the under 21 tournament.

I would like Mbappe to realize his potential more though as he's probably a bit more unique.

RedCurry

Asensio doesn't have a fixed position on the pitch. He plays a free role. He doesn't compete with Kroos/Modric because he's more attacking and has goals in him, and we have options to replace those two without the need to play Asensio in a stricter role

And i don't think it's fair to judge young players on productivity alone. Neither guy is the complete article yet, and Martial doesn't play with the same positional/tactical freedom afforded Asensio.
I agree to a certain extent with your post. I agree that young players shouldn't be judged entirely based on their productivity. But it is a fair metric to bring up if someone says that attacking player X is far superior than attacking player Y. If that were true, those goals and assists would back up this overwhelming superiority.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Stick any good player in the Real side of the past 2 years and their output will improve greatly. Ronaldo can turn a decent cross into a great cross. Modrić and Kroos can penetrate an entire defensive line with one ball.
I kind of agree with this in THEORY a player like Martial should be doing better in a team like Real Madrid, but have you seen Asensio play and the goals he's scored? It's not like he's getting carried at all or made look better by his teammates, they can't do that with Bale currently, but more like he's the one making things happen and playing with a lot of confidence.

WhoDaGOAT

I kind of agree with this in THEORY a player like Martial should be doing better in a team like Real Madrid, but have you seen Asensio play and the goals he's scored? It's not like he's getting carried at all or made look better by his teammates, they can't do that with Bale currently, but more like he's the one making things happen and playing with a lot of confidence.
It's the quality of his shooting in particular that separates him right now. Usually on target and rarely doesn't have power + precision.

Bale is simply shot physically, in my opinion. Too many injuries, on top of Real not really playing to his strengths. It's best for him to move on, but I wouldn't take a chance on him if I were Mourinho.

Laurentiu amt

He's neither a local boy nor has there been any indication that he was a Madrid fan before joining.

That said, I don't think he'd be thinking of moving any time soon.
He's at RM since he was 16 + he's spanish, that kind of makes him "a local boy". A local boy doesn't need to be from madrid.

+ that he's quite a huge RM fan. I live in Spain during the year, I know my shit.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's at RM since he was 16 + he's spanish, that kind of makes him "a local boy". A local boy doesn't need to be from madrid.

+ that he's quite a huge RM fan. I live in Spain during the year, I know my shit.
He joined Madrid at 19-20, he's got old tweets celebrating Barca victories and he's certainly not a "local boy" because he's Spanish, come on.

I don't know how living in Spain would help you in this discussion, unless you're Asensio's neighbour.

macheda14

He was born in Palma and joined from Mallorca about three years ago and spent a season and a half on loan. He's only had one season playing with them. You wouldn't know your shit if it came out your own asshole.

Nick7

What shit do you know? Cause it ain't the truth.

meamth

Berbatouch, Berbaskill, Berbagoal, Berbatrick. Love him to bits. Yes I believe everyone has their own preference what they want from their dream footballer.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Asensio doesn't play in the same position than Mbappé & Martial. We have to give him some time but as a Real Madrid supporter, he's the best young player I've seen since I watch Real Madrid matches (even better feeling than with Raul).
No he's not, i don't know where you got this from :confused:

@Enjuto have to say i kind of agree. Which is absurd when i think about it, Raul at his age was ridiculous. People here talk about Rooney, Raul was no less than that as a teenager
Damn, that's high praise from Real supporters. To put that into perspective for some of the younger folk, Raul was butchering teams when he was still a teenager:

Asensio does look freaky good.

Varun

Staff

Fixed.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
He's very good, but those fancy shots he often puts in the corner now will fade to a more normal ratio. Sort of like Messi and his freekicks. He had 2-3 months when he was scoring 1 out of 2. This sort of masterful long range shooting won't last for very long periods. When that happens people will look more at Asensio's overall game and will rate him and his potential better, rather than just focus on the highlights.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@Pat_Mustard to be perfectly clear, i'm talking about talent and potential, not current ability. Raul was further ahead in his development at asensio's age and had more experience at the highest level

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Pat_Mustard to be perfectly clear, i'm talking about talent and potential, not current ability. Raul was further ahead in his development at asensio's age and had more experience at the highest level
Aye, I got what you meant mate. It's high praise but it doesn't even seem unreasonable to me. He's incredibly talented and he's impressed me every time I've seen him play.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Bit premature to compare him to Raul, but also alot of shitting on Asensio talent in the last page or so.. almost saying he just has a wand of a left foot and nothing else. He is a excellent dribbler (an area which I can see improving even further), strong carrier of the ball over long distances, a brilliant first touch and an innate sense of where to move off the ball and links up play well. He may just be going through a purple patch and I do think saying he is a Ballon D'or level talent is very premature (I don't think he is as good as the likes of Dembele in terms of overall potential) but there is no reason why he can't be top 5 attacking midfielder in the world if he continues to improve his game - seems to have a great mental attitude for his age.

Santos J

He's apparently out of tonights game as he has an in-grown hair from shaving his legs so can't pull his sock up.......

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's apparently out of tonights game as he has an in-grown hair from shaving his legs so can't pull his sock up.......
For some reason that makes me doubt he has what it takes to be a great player. Even Ronnie has never had that happen to him and there isn't a single place where he hasn't shaved.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He should feck himself. I have put him in my fantasy team and my bench players will never play a min of CL football.

Enjuto

Supports
Real Madrid
We are going to play against Apoel... if it would be CL final/semifinal/QF, Asensio would play for sure.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
For some reason that makes me doubt he has what it takes to be a great player. Even Ronnie has never had that happen to him and there isn't a single place where he hasn't shaved.
Well....he did miss a game for us for taking skin off his ballsack when waxing.