Marco Asensio

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Very good player and only 22. He'll Benefit from Madrid's transfer strategy, he's played pretty much every league minute available so far this season. That is what he needs at his age to develop and improve. Be very interesting to see if Madrid can win some trophies again this season.

He's an AM not a striker, already has 4 assists this season in all games. Can be a big season for him.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Apart from the assists he's also the player that has earned the biggest amount of penalties in the top 5 leagues in Europe. Only taking the beginning of this season into account he has shown he is the good direction so far.

RoyH1

Asensio is a terrific player and great value for money for Madrid (they really got good at the transfer market in the last 4,5 years). But he's not Mbappé good. But that's not a negative on him, Mbappé is the best young player in the world and the only under 23 that looks to have the potential to be talked about in Messi/Cristiano terms in some years.

Jagga7

The way he strikes ball is so pure. Everytime he scores it seems to be a long shot.

The left footed Darren Gibson :wenger:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Really rated this young man since years ago. He got this X factor an attacking world class player needs to have.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
he is one of my favorite players.
I do not remember many players with such quality and level in the left foot.
Not only in long-range shots but in assists, both high or at ground level.
He also has goal, and I think that in this Lopetegui system he will get good numbers.
Yesterday he played a very good match from the right but at other times he lacked audacity, and ended up a bit boxed in the side.
He disappears and sometimes I found him slow in the dribbling, although I think he is not.
Hopefully the continuity and leading role will push him to maintain the level.

SATA

It's cheating that Madrid have both him and Isco playing in the same team while we are left with Juan Mata. I love Juan though

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Do you guys think he might be slightly lacking the kind of pace required from someone to be absolutely world class in that position? I haven't seen quite enough of him to decide, like him a lot though.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Naturally just seen the highlights on YouTube and instantly wanted to come to the cafe and check out people's thoughts on him.

I agree he hasn't got pace but I'd put forward he strikes a ball perhaps better than anyone else current, the ball flies off his boot.

Karappa

Do you guys think he might be slightly lacking the kind of pace required from someone to be absolutely world class in that position? I haven't seen quite enough of him to decide, like him a lot though.
Asensio with ball is faster than a lot of defenders without it, there's the goal against Bayern last season, a goal (or chance) against Espanyol when he ran the entire field with the ball after a corner for them and a couple of other examples.

Much like Varane who is probably the fastest center back (at least at the big teams) Asensio is deceptively quick, especially on the counter attack when he has a lot of space to run into.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Where the hell do Madrid snap these players up from?!
They don’t have to look to hard or too far. Spanish players just come gifted as feck from the womb. Culture of passing is learned from elementary school and technique in general is most important when lads get together to play so, by the time they come of age, it’s all second nature to them. Of course there will be dross here and there but, in general, the spanish game is miles ahead, technically speaking.

Aloysius's Back 3

They don’t have to look to hard or too far. Spanish players just come gifted as feck from the womb. Culture of passing is learned from elementary school and technique in general is most important when lads get together to play so, by the time they come of age, it’s all second nature to them. Of course there will be dross here and there but, in general, the spanish game is miles ahead, technically speaking.
I'd say more than that it was what I think Guardiola said about the German & Spanish league having an advantage because of B teams & reserve teams of a lot of teams get to play against full grown adults in some of the lower leagues.

In my opinion that is great for their development,able to fine tune technicality and so on. Makes me sad that we don't have anything similar & whilst some players end up going on loan - a lot end up going too late.

Even players with questionable attitude like Morrison & Wilson - I have a feeling they would have done better had they had a chance play against the big guys in a proper team in a B team - even if it made some of them more big headed; it becomes more in line with the football they have to play in first team at a younger age.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Don't think he is a proper winger. He could a great job in the middle, instead.

RoyH1

Wonder who strikes the ball better, Asensio or Rashford?
I think for striking the ball and range of passing, Asensio might be better.

Rashford is the better player in front of goal. He's also more consistent his age taken into consideration. Asensio can disappear sometimes.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That boy can strike the ball like not many player can during games. His technique is often seen during FKs when the ball is still but he does it with it in movement.... Incredible skill

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
he is one of my favorite players.
I do not remember many players with such quality and level in the left foot.
Not only in long-range shots but in assists, both high or at ground level.
He also has goal, and I think that in this Lopetegui system he will get good numbers.
Yesterday he played a very good match from the right but at other times he lacked audacity, and ended up a bit boxed in the side.
He disappears and sometimes I found him slow in the dribbling, although I think he is not.

Hopefully the continuity and leading role will push him to maintain the level.
Yep. Needs to learn to use his right foot, because he's not explosive and quick enough to make do without. Also yes, needs to be more daring and aggressive with the ball, instead of just waiting for the right situation. The truly great players are the ones who can turn a normal situation into a favourable one

saivet

So what do people make of him? Everytime I've seen him he's looked shit. Scores a few screamers from time to time but wouldn't surprise me if his career path ends up like Jese or Bojan.

Karappa

So what do people make of him? Everytime I've seen him he's looked shit. Scores a few screamers from time to time but wouldn't surprise me if his career path ends up like Jese or Bojan.
He is way better than those two but I think he is playing out of position. In preseason he played a game or two as false 9 and he looked amazing, I think that or right behind 2 strikers would be his perfect position... On the wing he is wasted as there's no one in the middle converting his crosses and he can only do anything if he cuts into the middle and shoots resulting in the great goals from time to time. In a more central role he could shine a lot more, still think he is a great player, mentality could be a problem. If anything I would compare him to Guti instead of Jese or Bojan.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Great player in the right circumstances, very ineffective when the game doesn’t suit him

saivet

He is way better than those two but I think he is playing out of position. In preseason he played a game or two as false 9 and he looked amazing, I think that or right behind 2 strikers would be his perfect position... On the wing he is wasted as there's no one in the middle converting his crosses and he can only do anything if he cuts into the middle and shoots resulting in the great goals from time to time. In a more central role he could shine a lot more, still think he is a great player, mentality could be a problem. If anything I would compare him to Guti instead of Jese or Bojan.
Yeah better than those guys but I think he'll be another one of those hyped Barca/Real Madrid players that are not that level. Maybe Callejon is a better more recent example?

Nick7

More talent than either or those two, but hasn't been good for a while. He'd be better off at a smaller club.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's just one of those players who bursts on the scene and then struggles for a bit when people work him out. Like Rashford, his decision making will improve, he'll keep working on his game and at some point it will come together for him. And in the meantime he'll have some brilliant moments anyway, he's just not ready to lead the attack.

deafepl

Completely average, I didn't rate him highly from the start, Sane, Martial, Sterling is 10 times ahead of him and far better player.

DRM

He's a decent player but no way is he a madrid player. He'd be OK for someone like Valencia, sevilla etc.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He has a quality left foot but it is limited to ball-striking and crossing. He's not an outstanding passer in terms of through balls, or pass and move. He's decent in that regard but I think compared to your Ozil's and David Silva's he's not quite got their finesse or off the ball movement.

Dribbling wise, again he's not really a top tier talent with high level of nimbleness or vast array of tricks.

Athletically again he lacks top level pace and acceleration, but I'd say he's solid enough in that regard to be more explosive than a Januzaj (he's definitely better than him IMO) but he's never quite going to be a Bale and run defenders ragged.

So in terms of glass ceiling, I can't really see how he's going to end up as either an era defining wide player or an era defining attacking midfielder. But he does have a solid all-round game, he's not below par physically, or in terms of technical skills, or in terms of football intelligence and he has a good attitude. It's just outside of his shooting, he lacks 'wow factor' in any other aspect of his game.

So I can see him being a good servant for Madrid over the years but not as their 'driving force'. He is a support act, not the main star of a side and certainly not as the star of a team the size of Real Madrid.

Treble

Real are struggling now and it might be premature to judge the ceiling of a young player in that context.

Robbie Boy

I remember a Madrid fan on here claiming he would take over Ronnies scoring when he left :lol::lol::lol:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Real are struggling now and it might be premature to judge the ceiling of a young player in that context.
He already has 100+ games with Real Madrid and the pattern seems to be always the same with him. One or 2 brilliant performances, and then he's ghostly for a month or 2.

A couple of other things bother me regarding his attitude such as the missed no-look shot during a C1 game (ridiculous), the fact that he was convinced he'd reveal himself to the world during the world cup etc.

Many talk about Pogba saying that he's inconsistent here, but Asensio is on another planet.