Marco Rose - Dortmund manager

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So many on here claiming he was the next big thing!

Been poor throughout this season, with Dortmund looking lost at times.

mu4c_20le

Not surprised, they've had a terrible year and are second only because of Haaland, and ecveryone else being worse.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think Pochettino would do great things with Dortmund but he might consider it a step down.

Who is the next big German coach?

L1nk

I think Pochettino would do great things with Dortmund but he might consider it a step down.

Who is the next big German coach?
I actually think that's a good shout, they align way way more with Pochettino's style than PSG does. Feels like there would be way more rumblings of him being sacked by now if he was going to be though

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Considering the season that Dortmund just had a sacking is not a crazy decision. But it came pretty much out of nowhere. Watzke always positioned himself firmly behind Rose, a week or so ago Kehl created some confusion when he said "we assume Rose will coach next season", but that was chalked up to poor communication later on.

So maybe they really made this call based on their end of season analysis meeting.

It's also perhaps a bit curious that Terzic's name is missing from that tweet, because in his role as technical director he probably should have been there to give his input. Could be a clue that he'll take over (the club omitting him to avoid the narrative that he got the job via stabbing Rose in the back). I don't really see any other promising candidates available either. Maybe Baumgart.

Chairman Steve

52 league goals conceded but came 2nd :wenger:

One of the relegated Bundesliga teams this year conceded 53 league goals for context.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
GD is still decent though, team seems just unbalanced towards attack.

Their overall position is about what you'd expect given their relative strength. They must figure he can't improve that defense and keep the attack (no Haaland?) or wouldn't pull the trigger already. Wonder who is going to replace?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Considering the season that Dortmund just had a sacking is not a crazy decision. But it came pretty much out of nowhere. Watzke always positioned himself firmly behind Rose, a week or so ago Kehl created some confusion when he said "we assume Rose will coach next season", but that was chalked up to poor communication later on.

So maybe they really made this call based on their end of season analysis meeting.

It's also perhaps a bit curious that Terzic's name is missing from that tweet, because in his role as technical director he probably should have been there to give his input. Could be a clue that he'll take over (the club omitting him to avoid the narrative that he got the job via stabbing Rose in the back). I don't really see any other promising candidates available either. Maybe Baumgart.
Its a bold decision, but a good one. The football was absolutely terrible and the only thing speaking for him were solid results in the league. Maybe Kehl is a positive influence.
You can always go back to Terzic as transition so sacking him was a good call even if you don't have anyone lined up. Jaissle is surely going to be interesting to bundesliga clubs, but I don't know if he would be willing to leave RB after such a short time.

Otherwise:
Jogi

OleGunnar20

Shame, thought he looked really promising at Gladbach. Seems Dortmund has been a bit of a disaster.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do we consider Dortmund to be a well run club?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can we assume that Dortmund were the German team sounding out ten Hag then?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do we consider Dortmund to be a well run club?
Speaking in general here: realizing that a coach is not a good fit for the future and sacking him despite finishing second, rather than dragging things on until they blow up in ones face, is the sign of a well run club in my book.

What shift have you guys taken?
The qualities that made the club strong under Klopp have slowly deteriorated over the years. Too many players, who don't perform according to their wages, too many players, where the club bought talent, but overlooked off-the-ball qualities. Maybe also the lesson that the club needs a charismatic coach.
So now the club seem to be trying to reset to a hard working team that can apply a cohesive pressing.

Ten Hag neither seems to have the charisma, nor is Dortmund in a position to entertain ideas of possession focused football.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

They should have given him three seasons to create his team and only after that three years could they judge him! Dortmund fans are so toxic! hehe

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Speaking in general here: realizing that a coach is not a good fit for the future and sacking him despite finishing second, rather than dragging things on until they blow up in ones face is the sign of a well run club in my book.

The qualities that made the club strong under Klopp have slowly deteriorated over the years. Too many players, who don't perform according to their wages, too many players, where the club bought talent, but overlooked off-the-ball qualities. Maybe also the lesson that the club needs a charismatic coach.
So now the club seem to be trying to reset to a hard working team that can apply a cohesive pressing.

Ten Hag neither seems to have the charisma, nor is Dortmund in a position to entertain ideas of possession focused football.
I wondered because, although I know about dortmund’s financial problems 2 decades ago, I don’t understand what their ambition is. Sign great young players and sell them for profit before they’ve peaked? Good model for a lot of clubs for sure. But I don’t see why the second biggest club in Germany would do the same. Do they have ambition to go to the levels of the 90s again or under Klopp?

You’d think with the talent they’ve had at their disposal, they could have created a wonderful team again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They should have given him three seasons to create his team and only after that three years could they judge him! Dortmund fans are so toxic! hehe
I get what you're saying but it didn't sound like the Dortmund fans desperately wanted him to go.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Speaking in general here: realizing that a coach is not a good fit for the future and sacking him despite finishing second, rather than dragging things on until they blow up in ones face, is the sign of a well run club in my book.
There is one factor that speaks in favour of the decision and that is the timing of it. Rather than going into the next season with a coach they have doubts about and sacking him if results do not turn out to be formidable they give the successor a full undisrupted pre season to build up the team strategically.

Similar to yourself I expect an internal solution although I personally lean more towards Maaßen than Terzic for the position.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wondered because, although I know about dortmund’s financial problems 2 decades ago, I don’t understand what their ambition is. Sign great young players and sell them for profit before they’ve peaked? Good model for a lot of clubs for sure. But I don’t see why the second biggest club in Germany would do the same. Do they have ambition to go to the levels of the 90s again or under Klopp?

You’d think with the talent they’ve had at their disposal, they could have created a wonderful team again.
Dortmund's ambition is to create the best football team they can. Young players are a means to an end, because eventually they reach a level that Dortmund can't afford to straight up buy and the transfer profits allow them to finance the fees and wages of more experienced players like Süle, or Hummels, Reus and Witsel before him.
I never understand why people come up with that question. There is no owner siphoning off profits. The club pays out some dividends to share holders in the low 7 figures and the rest is invested into the club.

Similar to yourself I expect an internal solution although I personally lean more towards Maaßen than Terzic for the position.
I'm not blown away by the prospect of Terzic either. But appointing Maaßen after two seasons with the second team sounds like an absolutely crazy risk, so I don't think it'll happen, even if he's actually the better coach between the two.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Borussia Dortmund will never be able to create a "wonderful team" for the long term because they simply can not compete financially with the European elite. They were ready to make Haaland the absolute top earner of the club to get rid of his release clause and keep him for one or two additional seasons and Manchester City casually doubled that offer (if we believe the conservative reports).

Dortmunds ambitions are simple:

- contant presence in the CL KO stages
- building a team that can compete with Bayern for national titles
- developing world class talents to that level and keep them for as long as possible
- sell people looking to leave for the highest price to fincance the core of the team and sign new world class talent
- rinse and repeat

That is the only realitstic way to punch in the same weight class as richer teams for a time.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Maybe it was true Dortmund were in for EtH. If true, would love it for us to have done one on them for a change.

Smithy89

Schmidt could be a good option for them. Nevermind just seen he's joined Benfica.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Graham Potter going there would be super interesting.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Graham Potter going there would be super interesting.
It's going to be Terzic and a club like Dortmund is never going to hire the fecking Brighton coach, who never spoke a word of German in his life.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wait, this came out of nowhere, why did they sack him, he didn't do too horribly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's going to be Terzic and a club like Dortmund is never going to hire the fecking Brighton coach, who never spoke a word of German in his life.
Shame. Would have been interesting.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is Terzic actually any good?
No one outside the club knows for sure. But the fans love him, players seemed to like him too, he won the cup as an interim and there really aren't any terribly obvious alternatives on the market, so odds are it's going to be him. He'd probably also be low risk financially.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
No one outside the club knows for sure. But the fans love him, players seemed to like him too, he won the cup as an interim and there really aren't any terribly obvious alternatives on the market, so odds are it's going to be him. He'd probably also be low risk financially.
I hear Felix Magath might be available soon.