Marco Silva - Sacked by Watford

Acole9

Outstanding
Javi Gracia is close to getting the job apparently. Ex Malaga and Rubin Kazan manager.

Eire Red United

Was about to post what the feck are they at, Watford are 10th do they want him to challenge for Europe? Then I looked at the table and they’re only 5 points clear of the drop, holy feck I didn’t realise how tight it was.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Was about to post what the feck are they at, Watford are 10th do they want him to challenge for Europe? Then I looked at the table and they’re only 5 points clear of the drop, holy feck I didn’t realise how tight it was.
Only 5 points clear but tenth is tenth. The only club above them that you could argue shouldn't be there are Burnley, and they've dropped points in their last six league games. Premature sacking, may as well let him have the season.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
If pochettino goes to madrid, marco silva will be at spurs.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I can see this from the Watford point of view. They had a manager who had come in, set the team up well and had achieved 15 points from their first 11 games. That's 52 points across a 38 game season and comfortable safety.

Another club has come in and made an approach for him. They've set an asking price for him but the other club have refused to meet it. The manager has his head turned, loses focus and in his following 13 games achieves only 11 points. That's 32 points across a full season and guaranteed relegation.
When you put it like that it actually seems harsher to me than it did before I read it!

I was thinking of it more like 5 points from the last 11 games which is an awful run of form. From that perspective I'm with the owners.

When it's framed as 11 from 13 vs 15 from 11 it's more within the realms of a couple of decent results turning it around. You could claim bad luck, not that I really believe in luck but it's within the natural variance of the game for me. A manager capable of getting 15 points from 11 on a consistent basis could well have a spell where he got 11 from 13 and it wouldn't seem too out of the ordinary to me.

diarm

When you put it like that it actually seems harsher to me than it did before I read it!

I was thinking of it more like 5 points from the last 11 games which is an awful run of form. From that perspective I'm with the owners.

When it's framed as 11 from 13 vs 15 from 11 it's more within the realms of a couple of decent results turning it around. You could claim bad luck, not that I really believe in luck but it's within the natural variance of the game for me. A manager capable of getting 15 points from 11 on a consistent basis could well have a spell where he got 11 from 13 and it wouldn't seem too out of the ordinary to me.
But 11 from 13 is nowhere near close to 15 from 11. One is midtable form and the other is bottom of the table form.

Plus the Watford board see him on a daily basis and are much better placed than us to decide whether his head has been turned by another club. Clearly his attitude and focus in his general work has changed since Everton came in.

I'm all for giving managers more time, especially early on, but when a coach lets a bid from another club affect his performance then the best thing to do is get rid.

What's the best case scenario? You give him more time and he turns things around... until Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle or some other slightly bigger club comes in for him and he falls apart again.

Chipper

Adulterer.
But 11 from 13 is nowhere near close to 15 from 11. One is midtable form and the other is bottom of the table form.

Plus the Watford board see him on a daily basis and are much better placed than us to decide whether his head has been turned by another club. Clearly his attitude and focus in his general work has changed since Everton came in.

I'm all for giving managers more time, especially early on, but when a coach lets a bid from another club affect his performance then the best thing to do is get rid.

What's the best case scenario? You give him more time and he turns things around... until Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle or some other slightly bigger club comes in for him and he falls apart again.
Nowhere near close? It is when you're using very small sample sizes of games like we are doing here.

If (and that can be a big if) someone with 11 from 13 wins the next 2 it's 17 from 15, equaling out to 50 point a season, very close to your 52 point projection.

We know unlikely things can happen in football too, like a forward missing an unbelievable number of chances in a game, a ref giving you or the oppo a big decision wrongly , freak beachball goals, a defender who can't shoot for shit popping up a 30-yard worldie etc. If 2 results can put you back on track, and these sorts of things can and do happen in the sport then to say 11 from 13 is nowhere near close to 15 from 11 is inaccurate as far as I'm concerned. You can easily get 2 wins or 2 defeats in a row what you thought were quite even games where the "fair" result would probably have been a draw.You need to change very little/pretty much nothing about how you played for that to happen sometimes. It's the nature of the sport as it's a low-scoring game.

I'm not feeling too sorry for him though, because like I said, I was already framing at 5 from 11 so even if he wins the next 2 there it's 11 from 13 and still relegation form at a club where they've sacked managers staying up reasonably comfortably the past couple of seasons. His head was turned so feck him.

Still though, I don't think 11 from 13 and 15 from 11 is worlds apart. It's too small a number of games for it to be where a couple of results, perhaps even fluky ones can make the difference one way or the other.

Edit: Before someone pulls me up on it I did an Essien in my second paragraph. 17 from 15 would work out at around 43 points for the season, not 50. I wrongly worked it out as 17 from 13, not 17 from 15, turning 2 losses into wins from an 11 in 13 record instead of winning the next 2. Still not much sympathy for him either way because I don't think his heart has been in it since Everton wanted him.

Last edited:

Jaybomb

Lol and some people here genuinely wanted us to sack Mourinho and get him.

:lol: fecking hell.

Last edited:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I lost a lot of respect for Silva when Everton came calling and he wanted to jump ship just a few months into a new job already

He should have been more professional and turned them down and waited until at least the Summer

Still think he's a quality manager

R'hllor

Lol and some people here genuinely wanted us to sack Mourinho and get him.

:lol:
I dont know what bunch wanted him instead of JM but seems him being sacked and Watford downfall has nothing to do with his managerial skills.

salford_

i find Watford a joke of a club tbh. I hope they go down, the new boss has a deal to 2020 - he wont see it out.

el3mel

Away from Watford being a joke, tbh Silva is just not good enough manager for a league like EPL. No problem in building an attacking team even if it's midtable but without defensive organization any midtable club will challenge for relegation.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wouldn't surprise me given how Everton's form is if Big SAM got the sack before the end of the season and Everton finally land Silva then

starman

Watford are trigger happy but i am pretty sure he was off at the end of the season, so even though this seems like a crazy sacking.
In the context of things they in a very bad run (only now 5 points from the relegation zone) and would more than likely have needed to replace the manager at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Kapardin

Man, Everton do nothing useful and also feck up another's career.

He has potential, but this is a setback. I suppose he will switch leagues now, which is a shame because I wanted to see more of his work in the premier league.

Solver

I don't care what the fans think. I want some kind of evidence that he was flirting with Everton. So far, you haven't provided any.
check out what their club says; and don't come across so aggressive- it's not necessary. If you refuse to see evidence where it is, it's not my fault

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Mark Hughes is the obvious... crap replacement.
Well he did say he was looking forward to his next challenge? He's probably firing up that resume and tweaking that PowerPoint as we speak.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I don't care what the fans think. I want some kind of evidence that he was flirting with Everton. So far, you haven't provided any.
His representatives made it clear he wanted to move, say the briefed journalists and Silva refused to commit to Watford in multiple press conferences despite only starting his tenure at Watford just 3/4 months before. He signed a contract and immediately started trying to worm out of it, rather than acting with respect and honour by seeing out at least one season. Shouldn’t have signed the contract if he was not 100% committed.

ti vu

I dont know what bunch wanted him instead of JM but seems him being sacked and Watford downfall has nothing to do with his managerial skills.
If the story about him losing the dressing room is indeed true, then it's corncerning managerial skills. Can't focus to stay professional in your current job is one hell of problem. Media always stir up shite. If you can't stay focus now, there is every chance you won't be able to in another incident.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
They've appointed Javi Gracia already. Former Malaga and Rubin Kazan manager. This is currently on his wiki:

The 47-year-old is expected to be named boss at Vicarage Road in the next 24 hours after agreeing a two-year deal.

He is famous for once calling Pep Guardiola "A proper slapheaded nonce"

:lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Glad he’s gone (as a watford ST holder). He poisoned the dressing room, creating rifts, and contradicted what the board said every week all because we asked him to honour his contract just 3 months in when Everton came calling. The players could sense his half arse effort in training and performances were terrible after we rejected Everton, after an initial impressive start.

Its a tough job with a dressing room full of players who are constantly asked to gel and get to know each other wth the chopping and changing every window, buy Silva did this on purpose. He even publicly questioned the club giving a back up player a new contract, as if it was such a big deal.

Good riddance.

Next manager is Javi Garcia aswell apparantly. Don’t know much about him, obscure appointment as per usual for Watford.
Reading through that forum and your and other Watford supporters comments, it seems the obvious decision that the club didn't want to have to make. My initial opinion was all surface. Hope you get in a good replacement.

RooneyLegend

Ridiculous decision. Their injuries has basically destroyed them this season and it doesn't help that they have limited quality. If Southampton needed any motivation to get rid of that joke they have leading their side, here it is.

J_Red 11

Glad he’s gone (as a watford ST holder). He poisoned the dressing room, creating rifts, and contradicted what the board said every week all because we asked him to honour his contract just 3 months in when Everton came calling. The players could sense his half arse effort in training and performances were terrible after we rejected Everton, after an initial impressive start.

Its a tough job with a dressing room full of players who are constantly asked to gel and get to know each other wth the chopping and changing every window, buy Silva did this on purpose. He even publicly questioned the club giving a back up player a new contract, as if it was such a big deal.

Good riddance.

Next manager is Javi Garcia aswell apparantly. Don’t know much about him, obscure appointment as per usual for Watford.
I'm not too sure what is Watford expectation at the start of season. Last season you guys were 17th. And this season you have made a lot of progress and still 10th. The poor form is unacceptable but surely after great form that he showed at the start of season, he deserves more chance & time to turn it around at least. With your current players, I'm not too sure if there is any better manager who can do better job than him.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Blame Everton! Blame Everton!

If the board are right that he basically downed tools after being told to honour his contract they've done the right thing getting shut. It doesn't matter how highly rated an up-and-coming player or manager is if they're not giving it 100% for their club.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I'm not too sure what is Watford expectation at the start of season. Last season you guys were 17th. And this season you have made a lot of progress and still 10th. The poor form is unacceptable but surely after great form that he showed at the start of season, he deserves more chance & time to turn it around at least. With your current players, I'm not too sure if there is any better manager who can do better job than him.
I would normally agree with that opinion, but I’m pretty sure Silva was pushed before he could junp. He didn’t want to stay any longer I’m sure of it. That mentality and lack of enthusiasm rubbed off on the players. Pretty poor excuse for them too, im under no illusion that the players should shoulder a chunk of the blame with regards to pride and effort in their performances, but at the end of the day im certain Silva wanted this. Just read what the Board said in an interview about players snd transfers the day before Silvas match press conference. The two interviews directly contradicted each other. Silva was engineering his exit weeks ago.

C'est Moi Cantona

Surprising, but must have been obvious that he lost his focus after the Everton approach, will be interesting to see where he goes next.

dogwithabone

Yep, Watford are a ridiculous football club and hope they go down.

First of all Flores, who did a pretty good job in the circumstances, now Silva who despite being on a poor run has them punching well above their level.

Chuck in Puel’s sacking at Saints and you’ve got three of the most bizarre sackings in recent time. What do these type of clubs want from a manager ?