Marco Silva - Sacked by Watford

Sigma

People are saying Javi Gracia is possible, former Malaga coach.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Hate to say I told you so but ye the hype was big

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They did what? That statement is ludicrous. They better appoint a manager they will be convinced no one else will want, otherwise, they have the same "problem" again.

Doesn't this mean that appointing Silva as manager wouldn't come with any financial compensation to Watford?

AlwaysRed66

I see the top ten favourites are all foreign, except for Steve McClaren. Jose Lopez is favourite.

Solver

So leave him in position for 6 months then sack him?
results, man, results. he flirts with the bluenoses, he wins, no problem. he flirts with the bluenoses, results nosedive- no brainer: "sacked in the morning!"

serxyo

What is wrong with this Prem. Sacking Marco Silva - in my opinion one of the worst decisions. I hope he joins Mourinho.

Solver

I see the top ten favourites are all foreign, except for Steve McClaren. Jose Lopez is favourite.
LOL... I apologise but I read that at first as "jennifer Lopez" is fave :lol::lol:

Maybe they will go for Pulis- he's out of a job

The Bloody-Nine

try and read stuff in the Honet's Nest- you will see what the fans think/thought about it all
I don't care what the fans think. I want some kind of evidence that he was flirting with Everton. So far, you haven't provided any.

Nicklas

He bought Carrillo, Zeegelaar and Andre Gray. Just Zeegelaar is a sackable offence. He needs to improve his man management ability and learn to set up his defences better. It's the third time he has fallen out with a club board (Sporting, Olympiakos and now Watford). His behaviour is clearly a problem. Perhaps he should focus on managing rather than using the clubs to promote his agent agenda.
Didn't know that, three out of five clubs is worrying. Do you know the reasons behind it?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
LOL... I apologise but I read that at first as "jennifer Lopez" is fave :lol::lol:

Maybe they will go for Pulis- he's out of a job
Pulis is at Middlesbrough! So not out of a job at all!

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Yeah, they seem to really not like him.
Glad he’s gone (as a watford ST holder). He poisoned the dressing room, creating rifts, and contradicted what the board said every week all because we asked him to honour his contract just 3 months in when Everton came calling. The players could sense his half arse effort in training and performances were terrible after we rejected Everton, after an initial impressive start.

Its a tough job with a dressing room full of players who are constantly asked to gel and get to know each other wth the chopping and changing every window, buy Silva did this on purpose. He even publicly questioned the club giving a back up player a new contract, as if it was such a big deal.

Good riddance.

Next manager is Javi Garcia aswell apparantly. Don’t know much about him, obscure appointment as per usual for Watford.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Glad he’s gone (as a watford ST holder). He poisoned the dressing room, creating rifts, and contradicted what the board said every week all because we asked him to honour his contract just 3 months in when Everton came calling. The players could sense his half arse effort in training and performances were terrible after we rejected Everton, after an initial impressive start.

Its a tough job with a dressing room full of players who are constantly asked to gel and get to know each other wth the chopping and changing every window, buy Silva did this on purpose. He even publicly questioned the club giving a back up player a new contract, as if it was such a big deal.

Good riddance.
Sounds like the right decision then.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Good riddance.
But everyone will blame the board. He pulled some of those stunts at Sporting plus trying to infest the club with players without quality represented by his agent. There's a reason the vast majority of Sporting fans dislike him dispite being the last manager to won us some decent silverware. He's a snake.

stu_1992

Watford seem to blame the run of results on Silva's head being turned by Everton earlier in the season and perhaps that is true. Anything other than that and it's a hasty decision. I know they are on a poor run of results, but they are still 10th and not in immediate danger. I think he's guilty of doing a bit too well at the beginning of the season which makes now look worse. No one would bat an eyelid at Watford being 10th if the results were evenly spread out.

On a slightly unrelated note, I don't expect Watford to take part in managerial merry-go-round, so would expect a left of field candidate.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
League table after the first eight games:

Points gained in 16 games since (from a possible 48):
  1. Manchester City - 43
  2. Chelsea - 37
  3. Liverpool - 34 (15 played)
  4. Manchester United - 33
  5. Arsenal - 29
  6. Leicester City - 28
  7. Tottenham Hotspur - 27 (15 played)
  8. Crystal Palace - 22
  9. Bournemouth - 21
  10. Burnley - 21
  11. Everton - 20
  12. West Ham United - 18
  13. Brighton & Hove Albion - 15
  14. Huddersfield - 15
  15. Stoke City - 15
  16. Newcastle United - 12
  17. Southampton - 12 (15 played)
  18. Watford FC - 11
  19. West Bromwich Albion - 10
  20. Swansea City - 9 (15 played)
Their form had absolutely nosedived with no signs of getting better. Yes, they're 10th but still 5 points above the relegation zone (3 if Southampton get a shock win). I can see why they felt they needed to sack him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watford are ridiculous. Who do they actually think they are?

Half deserve it for all the ‘cojones’ bullshit Deeney spewed on TV.

Richard Cranium

It's more like "our manager talked to another club about leaving just weeks after he took on the job which caused him to lose the dressing room because everyone knew he was not committed".
So instead of committing to that line at the time and accepting the £15m buyout Everton offered, they waited 6 months then sacked him having to pay him money to leave... great business sense.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So instead of committing to that line at the time and accepting the £15m buyout Everton offered, they waited 6 months then sacked him having to pay him money to leave... great business sense.
I suppose it goes back to the “no point in keeping a player who want to leave” line (though in this case manager). You may as well cash in while you can. Same situ as Alexis Sanchez

Acole9

Outstanding
Give it to Deeneysy till the end of the season.
:lol: He'd be strangling the opposition managers.

If Pellegrino gets sacked by Southampton which I think will happen fairly soon. Silva will be amongst the front runners for the job, if he doesn't get it then I can't see him getting anymore cracks at Premier League clubs. The Everton speculation has damaged his stock.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That wasn't what happened though. Watford 'apparently' demanded 15 million from Everton, hardly an unreasonable demand when they'd hired him just months before and it was during the season so it would have caused chaos to their league plans.

Everton refused to pay that. So no move.

There's actually no way to stop a manager from moving, they're not like players. They can resign, if they're not asses and just hankering after the payoff. The other club can pay out their contract.

Watford set what was imo a reasonable price to take away their manager considering the circumstances. Everton refused to pay and Silva refused to resign.

Its also quite reasonable then that if you're paying your employee millions for him to get on with the job of managing the team. From the statement, it seems like he did not.

Also shows just how quickly things can change in football.

SteveW

This season has been the only time in my life where Watford have looked like a good team. My guess is it will be the only time.

10 games is nothing if it's the right manager. Is anyone else going to get them playing like they did at the start of this season?

diarm

I can see this from the Watford point of view. They had a manager who had come in, set the team up well and had achieved 15 points from their first 11 games. That's 52 points across a 38 game season and comfortable safety.

Another club has come in and made an approach for him. They've set an asking price for him but the other club have refused to meet it. The manager has his head turned, loses focus and in his following 13 games achieves only 11 points. That's 32 points across a full season and guaranteed relegation.