Marco Silva - Sacked by Watford

Vilev

I think he is average at best. Watford was good for a couple of months. But i can name you literally dozens of poor teams in PL era that had good, even brilliant couple of months. I don't see what the fuss is about.

hn4manunited

I have to say this was shocking but not surprising. There’s no patience in football these days. We are talking about a manager who was recruited by a rival team and a couple months later sacked.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Yep, Watford are a ridiculous football club and hope they go down.

First of all Flores, who did a pretty good job in the circumstances, now Silva who despite being on a poor run has them punching well above their level.

Chuck in Puel’s sacking at Saints and you’ve got three of the most bizarre sackings in recent time. What do these type of clubs want from a manager ?
Quique asked for a break clause in his contract before he signed and the second half of the season under him was relegation form and history showed any club that stayed with a manager whose team showed that form in the previous season always ended up getting relegated the season after.

Mazzari we finished 17th and even ignoring Silva’s issues with being denied the Everton job and the coinciding negative behaviour and attitude from him towards the board and some of the players, still won 1 of the last 11 games including defeats at home and away to our relegation rivals. Silva wanted to leave, if he didn’t he would publicly stated his commitment to Watford when Everton came calling just 3 months into taking over at Watford. Watford have aspirations for Europe in the near future, with the vast scouting network picking up potential gems like Richarlison and Doucoure. Theres plenty more on the way. All they want is a manager who can tap into those resources and get those players motivated to play for Watford, like Silva was doing before the knobhead started seeing dollar signs and didn’t have the loyalty, respect and grace to honour a contract for even one whole season just months after joining.

He purposefully soured the relationship between him and the board and with poor performances. Watford were left no option but to sack him, and you’d do well to find a Watford fan who doesn’t understand and agree with this decision.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Quique asked for a break clause in his contract before he signed and the second half of the season under him was relegation form and history showed any club that stayed with a manager whose team showed that form in the previous season always ended up getting relegated the season after.

Mazzari we finished 17th and even ignoring Silva’s issues with being denied the Everton job and the coinciding negative behaviour and attitude from him towards the board and some of the players, still won 1 of the last 11 games including defeats at home and away to our relegation rivals. Silva wanted to leave, if he didn’t he would publicly stated his commitment to Watford when Everton came calling just 3 months into taking over at Watford. Watford have aspirations for Europe in the near future, with the vast scouting network picking up potential gems like Richarlison and Doucoure. Theres plenty more on the way. All they want is a manager who can tap into those resources and get those players motivated to play for Watford, like Silva was doing before the knobhead started seeing dollar signs and didn’t have the loyalty, respect and grace to honour a contract for even one whole season just months after joining.

He purposefully soured the relationship between him and the board and with poor performances. Watford were left no option but to sack him, and you’d do well to find a Watford fan who doesn’t understand and agree with this decision.
There's always a certain **** loyalty towards managers in football for some reason, it's all black and white with the average football fan. But the reality is, if you scratch the surface 19 sackings out of 20 turn out to be the right decision.

Last edited:

Needham

Ian Wright was absolutely adamant Watford have done the right thing. In fact, I have never heard him so adamant.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Point of view form a Portuguese regular football fan:

The appointment at Marco Silva to Hull City long time ago was something quite surprising for any of us, since Marco Silva was doing the "usual" redeeming path of portuguese managers who fail at top level in Portugal: they usually go to Greece/Turkey to manage a club so they can return to Portugal and get a job at a decent club like Braga or Guimarães at least.

We could name at least half-dozen other portuguese managers who were a much better choice for a relegation battle miracle than Marco Silva, who's only experience at managing a small club was Estoril, and he had a quite decent squad over there. Of course what he did there was a very good job, don't take me wrong, but it was a surprise nonetheless why did the EPL suddenly rescued Marco Silva from the greek exile :D

His appointment at Watford was also surprising imho. I was expecting him to land on a Championhsip side at best, since he failed to keep Hull at the EPL. But also, I realized he just got a job at Watford, who in my opinion is a club with a relative weak squad. You just need to peek several squads who are bellow Watford on the table and realise that they have a much better overall squad.

Injuries and results got them on a poor run, and also Marco Silva commiting the same mistakes he did at Portugal by not aligning his position with the club board and eventually cost him his job again. It was a rookie mistake by him to pressure the board so he could have a chance on the Everton spot and will cost him future jobs on the market (who will hire a guy who doesn't finish his jobs?)

There are some very good portuguese managers here at Portugal and abroad who probably have a better pedigree for an EPL job, most of them with more experience than Marco Silva. In the end of the day, he was a victim of himself, by handling poor results and forcing his exit.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Point of view form a Portuguese regular football fan:

The appointment at Marco Silva to Hull City long time ago was something quite surprising for any of us, since Marco Silva was doing the "usual" redeeming path of portuguese managers who fail at top level in Portugal: they usually go to Greece/Turkey to manage a club so they can return to Portugal and get a job at a decent club like Braga or Guimarães at least.

We could name at least half-dozen other portuguese managers who were a much better choice for a relegation battle miracle than Marco Silva, who's only experience at managing a small club was Estoril, and he had a quite decent squad over there. Of course what he did there was a very good job, don't take me wrong, but it was a surprise nonetheless why did the EPL suddenly rescued Marco Silva from the greek exile :D

His appointment at Watford was also surprising imho. I was expecting him to land on a Championhsip side at best, since he failed to keep Hull at the EPL. But also, I realized he just got a job at Watford, who in my opinion is a club with a relative weak squad. You just need to peek several squads who are above Watford on the table and realise that they have a much better overall squad.

Injuries and results got them on a poor run, and also Marco Silva commiting the same mistakes he did at Portugal by not aligning his position with the club board and eventually cost him his job again. It was a rookie mistake by him to pressure the board so he could have a chance on the Everton spot and will cost him future jobs on the market (who will hire a guy who doesn't finish his jobs?)

There are some very good portuguese managers here at Portugal and abroad who probably have a better pedigree for an EPL job, most of them with more experience than Marco Silva. In the end of the day, he was a victim of himself, by handling poor results and forcing his exit.
Good post mate.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Good post mate.
Tks mate, but it was kinda true. When Silva was appointed to Hull, everyone in Portugal thought: "What did this guy do to deserve a chance at EPL?". We all know agents are important, but a good agent doesn't explain everything.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Quite amazing how he went from a hero that many on this board wanted to take over from Mourinho, to sacked by Watford in such a short space of time.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Tks mate, but it was kinda true. When Silva was appointed to Hull, everyone thought: "What did this guy do to deserve a chance at EPL?". We all know agents are important, but a good agent doesn't explain everything.
No doubt. But I still think his agent Carlos Gonçalves is the one with the power and influence to get him the jobs rather than merit. Plenty of backstage talks in his Sporting days that things began to become sour at Sporting due to BdC not accepting his agent influence in Sporting's transfer policy. Not excusing BdC Facebook rant but the constant non alignment with the boards will take a substancial dent in his reputation.

Brophs

The One and Only
Quite amazing how he went from a hero that many on this board wanted to take over from Mourinho, to sacked by Watford in such a short space of time.
Did many people on here really want Marco Silva as United manager? I struggle to imagine that, even on me internet, there are that many people who get so carried away.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No doubt. But I still think his agent Carlos Gonçalves is the one with the power and influence to get him the jobs rather than merit. Plenty of backstage talks in his Sporting days that things began to become sour at Sporting due to BdC not accepting his agent influence in Sporting's transfer policy. Not excusing BdC Facebook rant but the constant non alignment with the boards will take a substancial dent in his reputation.
He just took you Zengelaar and you still got money for him. You should raise him a statue :D

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Did many people on here really want Marco Silva as United manager? I struggle to imagine that, even on me internet, there are that many people who get so carried away.
Yeah there were people mentioning that in those threads that criticized Mourinho for the style of play.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He just took you Zengelaar and you still got money for him. You should raise him a statue :D
:lol: true. Benfica fans could end up raising one as well if Watford pays big bucks for Carrillo but him gone it isn't certain.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes. Which i found mind boggling.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The only portuguese manager who could get to Utd job is Paulo Fonseca, but he needs a strong assistant to cover his back, since his leadership is very different from a traditional manager. He's more the friend type of manager.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The only portuguese manager who could get to Utd job is Paulo Fonseca, but he needs a strong assistant to cover his back, since his leadership is very different from a traditional manager. He's more the friend type of manager.
Probably. But he still needs more consistency and proven work in his career to get the chance at an european top club. But I do agree that he and Jardim are the managers with most potencial. Porto stage was a blip and doesn't define his career.

Revaulx

22 as per the poll. Hardly many.

I think some people overrated him as a reaction to the ridiculously jingoistic comments made by Merson and Thompson at the time he was taken on by Hull.

GBBQ

Watford getting quite a bit of flak but at the same time if they're on relegation form then its better to act when there are still enough games to steady the ship. If Silva really did lose focus after the Everton offer and had not managed to regain that focus after 2 months then can see why the board would think its too much of a risk to continue with such a small gap to the relegation zone.

As for Silva, its tough as well, can understand why he would want to go for the Everton job because chances at big clubs don't come around too often.

Alabaster Codify7

He didn't do brilliantly and can't organise a defence to save his life, but you do wonder what exactly a club like Watford expect? They're at their level, simple as that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The sacking thing has worked for Watford so far but I think that bubble might burst; surely you can't keep sacking managers and improving.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He didn't do brilliantly and can't organise a defence to save his life, but you do wonder what exactly a club like Watford expect? They're at their level, simple as that.
They're probably above their level, this is the best period in the club's history other than 80s.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting to hear the Portuguese posters thinking he wasn't cut out for a PL job, stark contrast to the consensus on here after he did a good job getting Hull playing some decent stuff and the attacking style of play he brought to Watford.

Wayne ahead of you

I just don't get what was so attractive about the Everton job anyway. How did it turn his head around ? More wages ?
That probably, plus (far) more transfer money to be able to build the squad you envision instead of mostly having to do a job with the players at hand. Koeman spent a massive amount on new players (who pretty much all turned out to be a mismatch for Everton). Also, Everton is still a more prestigious club than Watford. Their goal I think is to break into the top six instead of always battling it out to be 'the best of the rest'. Succeeding in that would look very well on your resume as a manager. So all in all a more lucrative project for a manager I'd say.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Let's be honest, Silva was out of order with his flirting with Everton. He'd only been in the job for maybe 10 games or less, and he already wanted to ditch Watford and not honour his contract? Right at the beginning of the season?
He's kinda of fecked himself, at least for a while, as what Chairman will want to hire someone who might want to walk out at the first sight of another opportunity? He didn't care if he left the club in a lurch, so he got what he deserved imho.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The sacking thing has worked for Watford so far but I think that bubble might burst; surely you can't keep sacking managers and improving.
I think the opposite, I think such a proactiveness is what's helping them consolidate at this level. How many clubs have stuck by managers because it's the "right" thing to do, only to end up stagnating further and by the timethey saw the light it's too late? You guys are still to this day (in my opinion) paying for giving Moyes and LVG more time. The former should have been sacked in December 2013 and the latter same time 2015, that's a combined nine months you wasted on 'projects' that were evidently broken beyond repair.

Of course in the ideal world managerial stability would exist in most clubs, but I just don't get this obsession with giving managers time even thought it's clear for all to see it ain't working and in Watford's case with Flores, Walt and now Silva they have stopped the rot before it sends them into an almost certain dive back to the Championship.