g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
At least we know he will get plenty of chances in the EFL Cup and Europa League.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think 40+ solid games at 18 and having barely played any high level junior and senior football is better than the scraps off of the first team in this fast tracked scenario. His situation is completely unique though, essentially if Van Gaal knew how to build a squad and manage it properly then we wouldn't be seeing him on the radar at minimum until next year (maybe this year) and the year after that. It is not as if he is in the same situation as James Wilson, completely tearing it up and steamrolling junior football but unable to make the physical step-up at senior level. JW is in genuine need of physical development in those aspects to be ready for the first team. I still think Rashford needs games in the "main man" mentality. Even if it is just for one season.

Much of a muchness though, like I said. A lot of these little aspects have been relegated to the back of my mind due to the "jose knows" mentality. It is a great feeling not to have to run footballing decisions through "Gaalscript Tactical Compiler" just to understand what the flying feck he's doing.
Maybe not, but then youth players (or young players in general) breaking through the ranks is often unpredictable and unexpected. We might have never signed Ronaldo had it not been for the whole Fergie/Beckham thing, for example. We might have never signed De Gea had VDS decided to give it another year or two. I very much doubt Kane's development at Spurs was that expected or anticipated last year. The development of many youth players, or signing youngsters in general, can often be an accident to an extent; you've just got to take advantage when it happens.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
At least we know he will get plenty of chances in the EFL Cup and Europa League.
Ibra will also have injury niggles or a longer injury spell at some stage as well as require resting.

Rashford will get loads of game time.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
We will have like 50+ games this season and our main 2 strikers seem to be Ibra+Rashford. I'm pretty sure he will get plenty of game time and its a bit silly to start complaining after 2 matches. Especially when we convincingly won them

Their will also be injuries to deal with throughout the season

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I will believe it when I see it.

Thing is if he is not bringing him on against bottom / midtable teams when we are leading 3-0 or 2-0, when else is he going to bring him?

Also not sure he is going to rotate much for EL games.

In any case Rashford has a lot of talent and he is not going to develop further by just sharing a breakfast and lunch table with Zlatan.

podurban2

I will believe it when I see it.

Thing is if he is not bringing him on against bottom / midtable teams when we are leading 3-0 or 2-0, when else is he going to bring him?

Also not sure he is going to rotate much for EL games.

In any case Rashford has a lot of talent and he is not going to develop further by just sharing a breakfast and lunch table with Zlatan.
That's the thing right? No point in going overboard right now, let's just wait and see. By Christmas we can make a fair assessment.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Ibra will also have injury niggles or a longer injury spell at some stage as well as require resting.

Rashford will get loads of game time.
Let's hope not. We will be in trouble if Ibra gets injured. I'd rather see Martial up top with Micky or Lingard or Micky on the left and Mata on the right if that happens.

This is Manchester United not Rashford United. Winning is more important than any future of any player.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
On the other hand...why risk Rashford getting an injury in a game which is already settled?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
On the other hand...why risk Rashford getting an injury in a game which is already settled?
Well in this case are you implying we shouldn't make any subs?

Also when is he going to come on then?
If he only comes on when we are losing the pressure will be even higher for him, especially with a lack of match practice.

SteveJ

Scout
Well in this case are you implying we shouldn't make any subs?

Also when is he going to come on then?
If he only comes on when we are losing the pressure will be even higher for him, especially with a lack of match practice.
Look, I share the same worries as you but it really is early days yet - seasons are so long and unpredictable that we can't know in advance what will happen, regardless of Mourinho's reputation.

fallengt

I don't think Mourinhou is very good at squad rotation, he always has his "trusted lieutenants" who always play. Maybe we'll see Rashford has a few cameo here and there in EL, FA cup but I just don't see him dropping Zlatan & Rooney in EPL now.

SteveJ

Scout
Jobs for the boys as per:

F365 said:
“Rashford is not playing now. It makes it harder for me now to select him, as exciting as he was last year and how he burst on the scene," said Allardyce.

“At such a young age, do I say ‘go play in the Under-21s. Get used to international football there, play regularly there and it will help you eventually, hopefully break into Manchester United’s team and then break into the England senior team.’ You’ve got all those scenarios to consider.”

Allardyce has also yet to reveal whether Wayne Rooney will retain the captain’s armband in his new set-up, after admitting at his unveiling last month that he was still unsure who his skipper would be.

He is still not ready to announce who England’s new captain will be, saying: ”We will announce the squad then we’ll meet up and the first thing I would probably choose to tell the public and the media would be who is going to be the captain so we can get that one out of the way. The team selection and the first XI will be later on in the week."

”He’s (Rooney) the most successful England player for the last decade, he’s broken every record at league level, Champions League level and international level, so yes, we should talk very much about Wayne and about how good he is, what a fantastic player he is and what a really, really good captain he is.”

NoLogo

I don't think Mourinhou is very good at squad rotation, he always has his "trusted lieutenants" who always play. Maybe we'll see Rashford has a few cameo here and there in EL, FA cup but I just don't see him dropping Zlatan & Rooney in EPL now.
I think the only time he ever rotates is for the Capitol One Cup or other matches against very weak teams. Other than that his best players will play. Also to Rashford's dismay Zlatan doesn't get injured all that often.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think the only time he ever rotates is for the Capitol One Cup or other matches against very weak teams. Other than that his best players will play. Also to Rashford's dismay Zlatan doesn't get injured all that often.
I dont think he will have his best players travelling all over europe for thursday night football... infact he pretty much said as much in that come september he has 7 games and all his squad will get game time

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep no chance Zlatan will be playing Europa league games. Not until we get to the business end atleast.

NoLogo

I dont think he will have his best players travelling all over europe for thursday night football... infact he pretty much said as much in that come september he has 7 games and all his squad will get game time
Like I said he might rotate against the weak/lower league teams. Maybe he even changed his opinion in terms of rotation given our squad depth. I mean at Chelsea there simply weren't all that many players that you could rotate with given the lack of quality in squad depth.

mewnew11

I think Jose is a smart manager who knows how to use Rashford. I am sure we will see myk and rash coming in as subs and bring a different dimension to our game .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Reading his logic for still selecting Hart and dropping Rashford, his decision on both players contradict each other

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Would be fecked up if he doesn't even get some minutes against Hull.

Coxy

Reading his logic for still selecting Hart and dropping Rashford, his decision on both players contradict each other
Indeed. I got all excited when I saw he might not pick players who aren't playing (regardless of reputation) but then he destroys my goodwill when he talked about Hart...

Bwuk

Rashford should be in the England squad.

Can play wide or through the middle. One of the only England players who didn't embarrass themselves at the Euros, despite his small amount of minutes.

Mister_Stubbs

"I can't select Marcus because he isn't playing"

"Joe will still be in the squad even if he isn't playing"

Makes sense Sam.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I would love to see him link up with Zlatan.

It took a while to get the Cole Yorke partnership going :devil:

El Zoido

"I can't select Marcus because he isn't playing"

"Joe will still be in the squad even if he isn't playing"

Makes sense Sam.
Along with his "when you play for England it's about doing a job, not playing in your preferred position" and I'm already slightly apprehensive about England's future under him.

As for Rashford, I'm already sick of hearing about it. Hopefully our fans have learned a lesson from that Mata community shield nonsense where the media drummed up a crisis based on nothing. Now we play three games without Marcus and they're banging the crisis drum again, a total lack of perspective. The club appears to be going forward as a unit and I'm sure not having played yet is of absolute irrelevance to Rashford who knows he has time on his side. I've already seen enough people using it as fuel for the "Jose never picks youth" argument to last me a lifetime.

gza the genius

We're three games in, it's nothing to worry about. I would imagine at this point he wants to give Ibra as much playing time as possible to get him to gel with the squad as he's going to be our main striker. Ibra simply won't play every minute of every game and you've got to think Rashford is our first option when Ibra isn't in.

Red_toad

2 games into the season and all the talk is of who isn't playing. Europa league, league cup and will get time in FA and League games, of that I have no doubt.

Shark

@NotShark
He'll get a lot of games, there's absolutely no need to panic yet. Who else is going to play when Ibra is inevitably rested in the other competitions? ask yourselves that.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I would love to see him link up with Zlatan.

It took a while to get the Cole Yorke partnership going :devil:
----------------------DDG--------------------
Valencia-----Bailly-------Blind--------Shaw
-------------Fellaini-----Pogba--------------
Mkhitaryan-----Ibrahimovic-------Martial
------------------Rashford------------------

That would be a genius team, the front 4 could freely interchange aswell.

But it will be Rooney in the starting line up for the forseeable future, feck it !

Ole90+3

He'll get a lot of games, there's absolutely no need to panic yet. Who else is going to play when Ibra is inevitably rested in the other competitions? ask yourselves that.
There's no point in trying to reason with people who are already getting worried about Rashford's lack of gametime.

No doubt the fans who were totally against Mourinho.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
----------------------DDG--------------------
Valencia-----Bailly-------Blind--------Shaw
-------------Fellaini-----Pogba--------------
Mkhitaryan-----Ibrahimovic-------Martial
------------------Rashford------------------

That would be a genius team, the front 4 could freely interchange aswell.

But it will be Rooney in the starting line up for the forseeable future, feck it !
We can dream. Let's hope our in-house politics allow for this to happen sooner rather than later.

sergiosigurvinson

He is a rough diamond.
In another thread I was talking about Michy Batshuayi (one of the best Belgian strikers, a lot better than Lukaku) and wondering why Man Utd didn't go for him.
Someone replied that the team needed players who would make their impact immediately (Zlatan). I realised that we still had Marcus Rashford and that this boy is the future and should be protected and given all the chances he needs.

CG1010

I am a bit worried about Rashford for this season to be honest . Zlatan, the way he is playing is becoming a key player and it would become harder for Jose to play Rashford. Also the way Zlatan is being used as a physical target man, I don't think Rashford is currently capable of playing that role for a top team. He isn't as physically strong to be the focal point for all attacks. I think we should try playing him as LW/RW to make runs off the striker and instead use Martial as a deputy for Zlatan.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's our second choice striker and we'll be playing in four competitions this season. People should just relax.

Also Big Sam should feck off. How can he drop Rashford but pick Joe Hart given the fact that both of them aren't playing matches. Idiot.

SambaBoy

Rashford will get minutes, he's still only 18 and he can play across all 4 positions from the front. He's our back-up striker and our main striker is 34, Ibra will struggle to play 2 games a week so EL/CC/FA cup games will be fine for Rashford. In addition, Ibra may be rested here and there as Rashford is a capable deputy and a much different player.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
He's our second choice striker and we'll be playing in four competitions this season. People should just relax.

Also Big Sam should feck off. How can he drop Rashford but pick Joe Hart given the fact that both of them aren't playing matches. Idiot.
Exactly! he's our 2nd choice and for an 18 y.o that's good enough.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
When we play cup games I fully expect rashford to play in those and maybe against some of the lesser European teams too. Jose has already said he feels bad because he can't play other players but they'll all get match time when the games start coming more regular.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
I am a bit worried about Rashford for this season to be honest . Zlatan, the way he is playing is becoming a key player and it would become harder for Jose to play Rashford. Also the way Zlatan is being used as a physical target man, I don't think Rashford is currently capable of playing that role for a top team. He isn't as physically strong to be the focal point for all attacks. I think we should try playing him as LW/RW to make runs off the striker and instead use Martial as a deputy for Zlatan.
That's one of them good problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.