5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahsan_6386

I think there are a lot of over reactions . He is only 20 years old . I feel due to the way he started his career there are a lot of expectations from him . He has had a season end to forget to be honest . But the good thing is that he doesn't hide . Inspite of all the criticism he keeps trying and gives his all . He takes corner and free kicks along with trying long shot. He can hide and just pass along but he doesn't do that . He has mental toughness and I believe he will get better next season .He did not play well today and so did the others in attack . Agreed he is a very frustrating player but he keeps on going which is a healthy sign . He has the physicality and he will only grow stronger . He needs a better attacking coach to help him out with the basics and decision making . These are very valuable times for him . I hope Mourinho handles him with care .

el3mel

He has been crap for most of the season now it's not like he had some poor games. The Liverpool game is the only bright side in an overall terrible season filled with greed and terrible decision making. Even as a wide player he stopped being good at it since October.

Alexit

He was absolutely shocking today. I guess this is why Lukaku "always starts."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I fancy my chances against Demechelis at that point. There’s a reason why he made two appearances for Espanyol following that season because he was done.
The point more was he took a great first touch then popped it passed him with composure he isn’t showing right now. His control seems to have disappeared.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Rashford became such a fecking greedy player this season it’s unbelievable.

I forget who it was but some ex player pundit said something along the lines of he has to be more greedy with the ball and guessing he took it to heart. Especially since Alexis arrived, he turned that notch up 10x more.

What a shame. So promising, was on such a nice trajectory and he himself fecked it up this season and stalled his own growth while negatively effecting the team. I mean he’s still really young but he better clear his head and get back to his old self before he shoots himself in the foot.

Disappointed in him but again he’s very young and hopeful he can see where he went wrong and fix up his act.

el3mel

Rashford became such a fecking greedy player this season it’s unbelievable.

I forget who it was but some ex player pundit said something along the lines of he has to be more greedy with the ball and guessing he took it to heart. Especially since Alexis arrived, he turned that notch up 10x more.

What a shame. So promising, was on such a nice trajectory and he himself fecked it up this season and stalled his own growth while negatively effecting the team. I mean he’s still really young but he better clear his head and get back to his old self before he shoots himself in the foot.

Disappointed in him.
Rashford has been a greedy bastard since about November. Sanchez affected Martial form but has nothing to do with Rashford. At this point Martial had reduced Rashford to a bench warmers because of his greedy attitude and shambolic form.

sam147

Loan him to wolves next season. Have actually had enough of not only his performances how he gets away with criticism purely because he is English. When he is diabolical on the LW OR RW apparently its because he is a ST. When he is brainless up front according to Lineker 'he plays better on the left'. Its a shame we will keep him but get rid of Martial because he is homegrown and Jose thinks fans love him more than Tony. Its not a one of performance. Rashford is only good when he has no time to think. Early on in the season his attitude on the pitch was acting like he was Ronaldo and he cost Lukaku at least 5 goals because he chose to shoot rather than square a pass. The feeble attempt at a shot was so casual before half time I wouldnt expect to see it in the U18s. What he needs is a coach who will hold his hand and tell him what to do. Loan him out for his own benefit or we basically have Welbeck 2.0. He actually has a half decent player under all that greed. You see him beat a player than think cross, shoot, pass but no he checks back inside to beat him again. The only player ive ever seen do this. He is only 20, but he fails to use his best asset his pace on numerous occasions. He makes a couple of runs and gives up and drops deep. Looking at his performance I feel sorry for Lukaku who has had so much stick yet he makes run after run as well as drifting wife, and still managing to be in the box for crosses.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Rashford has been a greedy bastard since about November. Sanchez affected Martial form but has nothing to do with Rashford. At this point Martial had reduced Rashford to a bench warmers because of his greedy attitude and shambolic form.
Sad really.

Like Rashford (the old Marcus) and I wish he figures it out. He’s not overrated in the sense he’s actually very talented so he’d be a special player if he can realize what sort of a player he can become for the club...just look at Euro 2016, he was arguably England’s best player. I want to see that Marcus again, the one who is relentless and plays for the team.

Backrow Singer

I thought he was horrendous today again and was one of the main reasons we couldn’t break Chelsea down. Positionally all over the pace, dropping deep for no apparent reason and giving the ball away when he did get it. His main strength is his pace and athleticism but he wouldn’t run in behind, Valencia is played in down the right hand side, looks up and his number 9 thinks he’s playing central midfield 30 yards behind play. The very least I expect is to give the team some shape. His set pieces were diabolical as well.

He is a young lad and I understand that but I can 100% see why people were frustrated with him today.

maniwin

Wasn't great today, but he is still only 20. Being in and out the team isn't easy. You need a consistent run of games to get that match rhythm and Rashford hasn't had the chance to do that.

I also feel he's much better on the left side than the right, and never really produces any good performances there, and today was the same.

He will get better, but he needs to play games.
He gets consistent run and we end up with consistent defeat. We only scored one goals since Lukaku injured.

borrays

This is why Jose bought Lukaku. Rashford and Martial are just not ready yet to lead the line of a big club like United.
And for you guys who destroyed him, shame on you. Maybe you need to calm down a bit and stay away from his thread.

LLMU

Very bad in his decision making. Trying to dribble too much. We really need an offensive coach if we are to be able to get the best out of him.

Andersons Dietician

Do feel sorry for him a bit. I think it was the first 20 minutes or so yesterday but he was shocking. Kept losing the ball, passing the ball straight out. He looks like someone under pressure who is trying too hard.
Last few games he’s played in a manic fashion when all he has needed to do was play within the width of the box. His constant shuffling out to the wing or going so deep really hampered us. Just made it easy for the teams facing us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It wasn't just November, it's been pretty much right from the beginning of the season. I remember we were only a few games in when we were talking about there being a difference in his attitude and selfishness (and not in a good way). At that stage we weren't too worried as we figured it was just a patch of form, but it set the signs for what has happened this entire season.

Jagga7

He's a 20 yr old who needs to play regularly to improve. He's extremely talented but inconsistency is expected given his age.

Renegade

His not ready to lead the line which is understandable. He seems to try that same shot technique EVERY time. The one where he just smashes it with no direction. Every time it’s straight at the keeper.
I also think Jose made a big error this season not resting Lukaku at time and having a back up plan. There was plenty times this season to try either Martial or Rashford up to to gain confidence in the position and he failed to do it. Lukaku gets injured and he just throws him in and expect miracles. Piss pooor management.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
How he’s starting ahead of Martial is beyond me. He’s in terrible form and not mature enough to lead the line. Martial on the other hand looks a much more mature and clever player.
jeez, this debate again, non of the two were in good form prior to the game, Jose opted for Rashford, it was a bad choice in this game but Martial with a minor injury before and with guaranteed less effort put into defending made it easy for Jose. Martial hasn't showed once he would leave anything on the pitch. The truth is that I am starting to miss that form Rashford too..

Let's see next season if both players stay but it's pretty even between them this season

G-manc

He's not physically strong enough to lead the line and his touch and control make Lukaku's look like Dennis Bergkamp.

I don't know what Ian Wright sees that i don't even when he's having a terrible game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's not physically strong enough to lead the line and his touch and control make Lukaku's look like Dennis Bergkamp.

I don't know what Ian Wright sees that i don't even when he's having a terrible game.
His nationality.

Alabaster Codify7

The fact is, he's a very fast runner and a good finisher and nothing else. His link up play is poor, he isn't a physical presence and he isn't skilful. He's a very limited player who our fans over-rate massively because he's one of our own. The reason young players arrive on the scene and look amazing, then tail off, is obvious - it's because they're an unknown quantity when they first arrive and as soon as defenders suss them out and figure out what they're all about, they have their number. If you aren't an incredibly talented youngster - which Rashford isn't, in my opinion - you will get shackled fairly quickly. Example, Ronaldo - defenders simply couldn't figure him out, year after year after year. Ronaldo was insanely skilful and unpredictable, Rashford isn't - he's a hit-and-run forward, runs in a straight line and relies upon his burst of pace and nothing else.

Personally, I think a lot of our fans are going to be shocked by Marcus' career trajectory. I think he'll either stay with us long-term as a bench/Cup option or end up somewhere like Everton.

Cmz'

Posters keep talking about this incredible talent that Rashford has but i'd love to know when they've seen this. Three good months when he broke through under Van Gaal is too small a sample size to conclude that he's got this massive potential which keeps being used to excuse his underperformance. He's played for two seasons under Mourinho now and it's pretty clear he's not good enough. The thing about inconsistency is you need to actually show you have the ability and he's never done that (the likes of Pogba and Martial for instance are inconsistent but on their day can be brilliant players) the same can't be said for Rashford, on his day he can just about get the basics right. His best game this season was against Liverpool (scored twice) but even then if you look at the whole performance there was nothing particularly impressive to the all round game. Scoring goals doesn't equal a great performance at the end of the day and tbh he doesn't offer enough of either to warrant getting the amount of chances he has got.

Last edited:

spiriticon

He had massive potential 2 years ago. He looked a proper footballer and had pace to burn.

We've fecked his development up the last 2 years imo. Same way as we fecked Martial up.

The only difference is, United is Rashford's life and soul so I think he will stay regardless of what we do to him. Martial on the other hand, does not have that same connection so don't blame him for looking elsewhere.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
You have to wonder what other club in the league would be interested in him based on this season's form, which makes the thought of him going to a World Cup quite ridiculous.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A young player, no matter his talent, still needs guidance. You gotta wonder what is he being told by our managment to see him not only selfish like that but so thick to attempt to score from FKs everywhere. This is what worries me the most when it comes to the club going forward. We all see something clearly wrong and nothing is being done about it to correct, in fact it may even be encouraged :houllier:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This, but since October/November. Shame he's going to the World Cup TBH because like Raheem a few years ago, looks like he needs a period of recovery.
That comparison is actually quite reassuring. I'd almost forgot people were saying these kind of things about Sterling not so long ago...

Joey Barton killed Sterling with the precision of his own fire this week, declaring in a column for L’Equipe that the player had been “poor for two years,” was “weak; very limited technically” and that he was “imprecise” and “clumsy” with his final ball. “Without his pace, would he be a professional?” Barton asked. “If he weren't so quick, he would not be apt to do the job. And to think he cost £50m!”
Raheem Sterling was struggling for form, his confidence had been shattered and he was questioning everything he thought he knew about the way he should play the game, when he received a text message from Pep Guardiola that started his recovery.

van Nistelrooy

Must go out on loan to another Premier League club next season and score at least a double-figure tally in the league.

Think he could do well with a Everton or Newcastle.

Of course he'll be allowed to stay here next season though and piss about with Lingard.

Boycott

I think he needs to simplify his game a lot. I get the feeling he believes he is better than he is. Confidence is good but it can go too far.

Rashford would benefit from taking fewer touches but more runs. The run for which his shot was saved was perfect. His speed will push defences back and allow the more technical players time on the ball to feed him and others.

Instead what he did for most of the game and most of the season is drop deep and look for the ball. He relies too much on putting the afterburners on to get past his man which is predictable. The fact he is still a young player and yet to fill out shows badly when he runs the ball out of play or gets in a tangle. Just for the sake of discussion, Martial is better suited because his close control and balance allows him to weave and ride challenges. A good dribbler doesn't need to pull out stepovers and fifty shimmies. You end up fooling yourself if you do that. Rashford is not on that level technically to warrant drifting out of position and playing greedy.

What he is very good at as I said is using his speed off the ball to force defenders to hold back. Other aspects of his game can improve with time and practice but there's no need to be something you're not right now. Being greedy is acceptable if you're producing. He'd get more chances to produce if he made better runs into the box. Tap ins at the backpost or late runs to bury cutbacks can become a habit if you want it to be.

FireballXL5

Pretty much all his shortcomings that are being highlighted could be addressed by better coaching and training.
Applies to the whole team tbf. There is a good player in there somewhere.

Kirky1878

Looking at the next campaign he has to step up and improve his game massively because he hasn't been anywhere near good enough. He looked like a hell of a talent when he arrived on the scene, showing sheer raw pace and an eye for goal. Since then we have only seen glimpses of this quality and no where near enough to protect him anymore.

His ceiling was set so high from the start and you expect a lot more with so much hype surrounding a player at a club this size. Age doesn't matter here. You're either ready or you're not and I think Mourinho was right to criticise him publicly the other week because some English based pundits on route to a World Cup have been quick to praise him for mediocrity for a while now.

I think the problem is that Marcus has fallen for the hype and believes he is better than he actually is. He needs to get back to the basics and play to the strengths that earned him this wonderkid reputation. The World Cup could be a good stage to rediscover himself but I worry the tournament won't benefit his club form with a long campaign ahead and he could suffer from burn out.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Posters keep talking about this incredible talent that Rashford has but i'd love to know when they've seen this. Three good months when he broke through under Van Gaal is too small a sample size to conclude that he's got this massive potential which keeps being used to excuse his underperformance. He's played for two seasons under Mourinho now and it's pretty clear he's not good enough. The thing about inconsistency is you need to actually show you have the ability and he's never done that (the likes of Pogba and Martial for instance are inconsistent but on their day can be brilliant players) the same can't be said for Rashford, on his day he can just about get the basics right. His best game this season was against Liverpool (scored twice) but even then if you look at the whole performance there was nothing particularly impressive to the all round game. Scoring goals doesn't equal a great performance at the end of the day and tbh he doesn't offer enough of either to warrant getting the amount of chances he has got.
Ronaldo used to get plenty of abuse because he was wasteful. Lots of people thought he was a waste of money for his first couple seasons.

Tom Foster

I think he was hugely overrated right from the start. Possibly because he looks good and was different, which the press like. Can’t remember when he did anything that made me think he was going to make it big. Will end up at Stoke or Burnley in a couple of years.

Not even in the same league as Danny Welbeck, who really was treated crap here.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This is the road most young players go down. None of this is surprising for me. Players like Beckham and Scholes didn’t establish themselves as first team regulars in their preferred positions until they were 22-24. Andres Iniesta was starting 12 games a season for Barca at Marcus’ age

This is not to compare his talent to theirs, this is to give perspective. People expect far too much too soon. Players who are exceptional at his age are exceedingly rare. Three or four a generation. He needs time to grow, develop, learn his trade amongst men. Now defenders have figured out his weaknesses, it’s about how he reacts.

For the slightly older amongst us, we’ve been down this road before. I remember well the vehement abuse Darren Fletcher used to get in his early 20s. People saying Beckham was shite before he made his big breakthrough. The accusations of Ronaldo being a show pony with no end product persisted until he was 21 or 22. And he was a prodigy at 17.

The list goes on. But the point is that the fan base is just too knee jerk and short termist with young players. You won’t win them all, certainly. But you also won’t win any, if you expect a 20 year old to be consistent and the finished article. The frothing at the mouth every time Rashford has a bad game, or Martial is left out, is frankly hilarious.

I even look at players like Lingard, who goes from flavour to scapegoat of the month faster than anyone in our squad. And I ask why? He’s a good player. Not a world class player but a superb squad option. One of our own, good technical ability, great work rate. To win trophies you need squad options, and he’s as good as that gets in my opinion. Reminds me of a young Ji Sung Park.

People just need to calm down and prepare to let young players develop. They are rarely as good as the hype suggests, and rarely as bad as the performance knee jerkers would have you believe. This mentality has to even extend to big signings like Pogba. He’s still not entered his prime. I thought he was superb yesterday, but people expect the Love child of Maradona and Keane. Forget the fee, just enjoy watching a top talent develop at our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.