5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Can anyone get a video or gif of that last move he didnt pass to Lukaku. The one he jogged to the ball.

I am trying to understand why he would choose to do that...
Unless he was trying to wind the clock down and then changed his mind just after I dont understand it.

redIndianDevil

Is it just me or the Rashford vs Martial thing that Mourinho has fostered has introduced greediness into Rashford's game? Ever since Martial began starting matches, Rashford is always trying to shoot and score a goal than play as a team. Is it possible he feels that he has to score no matter what to get back into the starting 11?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Is it just me or the Rashford vs Martial thing that Mourinho has fostered has introduced greediness into Rashford's game? Ever since Martial began starting matches, Rashford is always trying to shoot and score a goal than play as a team. Is it possible he feels that he has to score no matter what to get back into the starting 11?
Possibly yeah. Something has changed.

haram

He could have just taken it into the corner and wasted time , what he did made no sense at all
Yeah, that's why I'm saying he slowed down because he was going to do that, but then changed his mind and tried to play Lukaku in after.

Manny

Grammar Police
He's just selfish. He think he is way too good than reality
Agree and he's been doing this crap for a while now. This is nothing new.

Picking the wrong pass, stalling counter attacks, being greedy, overplaying it etc. He's only thinking about himself. Time and time again he's failing to play Lukaku through. Unbearable at the minute.

MadMike

Genuine question, does a player devoid of confidence tries to do things on his own or is he more likely to delegate ? I honestly cannot be certain but instead of zero confidence, I think he has too much of it. He seems to see himself as a bigger player than he is.
A player devoid of confidence will stall in his decision making and the flow of the game will make the decision for him. For example, he was on the left with a good pass to Lukaku but he didn't make the decision to pass the ball and the opportunity went. In his chance, I reckon a confident Rashford would have gone for the curl into the far corner. But he stalled, the keeper closed him down and then his reaction was to try and dribble him.

At least that's how I read these incidents. Don't mean I'm right of course.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Genuine question, does a player devoid of confidence tries to do things on his own or is he more likely to delegate ? I honestly cannot be certain but instead of zero confidence, I think he has too much of it. He seems to see himself as a bigger player than he is.
This seems to be problem the me.

kouroux

A player devoid of confidence will stall in his decision making and the flow of the game will make the decision for him. For example, he was on the left with a good pass to Lukaku but he didn't make the decision to pass the ball and the opportunity went. In his chance, I reckon a confident Rashford would have gone for the curl into the far corner. But he stalled, the keeper closed him down and then his reaction was to try and dribble him.

At least that's how I read these incidents. Don't mean I'm right of course.
I get you. Either way, it is frustrating.

Greck

Noticed this as well. Hate to see the lad this way but he should learn from Martial who kept a positive attitude when Rash was benching him

Devil may care

He was frustrating with that wasteful shot when he had good options on, and should have finished that chance Pogba put on a plate for him, but I'm not sure if that situation causing all the drama where he stopped and played it back when Lukaku had busted a gut to get a return ball, was a call he got from Matic.

Bojan11

He was fouled by the keeper how is that his fault???
You said that about 10 times.

He could have shot rather than rounding the keeper and then having a ridiculous angle to shoot from.

Donsangre

He’s greedy and it’s impacting the teams ability to win games now. The amount of times Lukaku makes a run only for Rashford to shoot is worrying now. Martial has a far better understanding with Lukaku at the moment.
He is super greedy and always wants to do it by himself to show that he is better but the reality is that he fecks up more than he does good. He should've passed to Mkhi a few times who was wide open but decided to either shoot at the defender or whatever... i think Jose blames the players for losing the ball and they become too cautious. Dont risk as much and thus lose the edge.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So many times this season he shoots on goal or tries to beat a mam, when there are better and easier options available to him.

The over rating by Mourinho and Manchester United fans has gone to his head: he believes he is better than he actually is. And that arrogance is affecting his decision making and contribution to the team, which was far more effective last year without his new unfounded conviction.

Maybe he'll come good, maybe he won't, but if fans are hell bent on 'yoof' this is the inconsistency and nonsense you have to put up with, which will cost us points and trophies.

Last edited:

Gbenger

Possibly yeah. Something has changed.
And this finally puts to bed that nonsense that some idiots were claiming earlier about Martial scoring only because he was coming on against tired legs.

Yes it's overall easier to score after coming on late in the game against tired legs but not every player can manage that. Not every player can manage coming off the bench, playing well and scoring every time and returning to the bench for the next game regardless.
Rashford for about a month or two has been treated the same way Martial was treated in the beginning of the season and he hasn't done well at well. In fact it could be argued he regressed or got worse due to that. It's either he's lacking confidence overall due to becoming a bench player, or he's gotten so cocky and playing badly as a result.

Bojan11

Mourinho has fostered?

If Rashford can’t handle competition then he’s at the wrong club.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's not exclusive to this, look at what has happened to Dele Alli this season. English media built him as an all action dominating midfielder who can play box to box for likes of Barca and Madrid, it's gotten to his head hence the constant flicks and ambitious passes he keeps trying this season.

Same has happened with Rashford, he always had this confidence about him which is good to see in a young player but it's gotten to the point where it's detrimental to the team. Going for top bin from 30 yard makes sense when your team is comfortable and cruising but not in situation like today. I can't recall many instances where one of those shots for him have gone in, maybe in League Cup earlier this year. Also, ever since Martial has gotten a run in he's even more hell bent on going for glory.

And this finally puts to bed that nonsense that some idiots were claiming earlier about Martial scoring only because he was coming on against tired legs.

Yes it's overall easier to score after coming on late in the game against tired legs but not every player can manage that. Not every player can manage coming off the bench, playing well and scoring every time and returning to the bench for the next game regardless.
Rashford for about a month or two has been treated the same way Martial was treated in the beginning of the season and he hasn't done well at well. In fact it could be argued he regressed or got worse due to that. It's either he's lacking confidence overall due to becoming a bench player, or he's gotten so cocky and playing badly as a result.
I completely forgot about the endless debate early on about 'tired legs'. Fans play a very important role in shaping a career of a player, at some point even the most ardent of fanboys have to acknowledge that he hasn't taken the role of sharing that LW spot with Martial well, it's got nothing to do with Mourinho.

Devil81

So wasteful.

Should have had a penalty today. No idea why he wasn't kicking off.

kouroux

He's not exclusive to this, look at what has happened to Dele Alli this season. English media built him as an all action dominating midfielder who can play box to box for likes of Barca and Madrid, it's gotten to his head hence the constant flicks and ambitious passes he keeps trying this season.

Same has happened with Rashford, he always had this confidence about him which is good to see in a young player but it's gotten to the point where it's detrimental to the team. Going for top bin from 30 yard makes sense when your team is comfortable and cruising but not in situation like today. I can't recall many instances where one of those shots for him have gone in, maybe in League Cup earlier this year. Also, ever since Martial has gotten a run in he's even more hell bent on going for glory.
Good post. I agree. If young players are affected by hype this much, it is a concern. Specially when the same media will rarely dish criticism when it is warranted.

Gbenger

Yea, seems like it. I won't blame Mourinho though. Competition is normal and if Martial hasn't gotten greedy due to Rashford being his competition, then Rashford should definitely be getting stick for his immaturity.

Greck

He isn't greedy but he has limited vision when on the ball. His passing technique isn't always the best and he seems to have almost no confidence in it lately. Remember he came up the ranks running with his head down. Also trying too hard to regain his starting spot.

haram

You said that about 10 times.

He could have shot rather than rounding the keeper and then having a ridiculous angle to shoot from.
What's your point? He was fouled. If he isn't fouled its an empty net.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
In fairness the kind of casual arrogance he often displays in important moments is the kind of thing we adore in top class players, provided they deliver. Problem is, obviously, that he’s not at that level yet, and it’s seemingly not being discouraged or drilled out of him by anyone. The most egregious example was in the recent England qualifier where he tried to scoop the keeper when through at 0-0 in what was very much a must win game. We eventually won and he played well otherwise so it was largely glossed over, but it was the kind of thing a proper manager would’ve castigated him for. And would’ve been a major issue had we not won, like it is today...

The only saving grace is that of all the things he gets criticism for, this is at least one that can be undeniably put down to immaturity. But someone needs to have a word in his ear about it.

Bojan11

What's your point? He was fouled. If he isn't fouled its an empty net.
From a impossible angle? You know he had plenty of time to shoot before rounding the keeper.

You said he was fouled around 20 times. Stop repeating yourself.

Treble

20 y.o.

At that age Sterling was a laughing stock. Heck, at 22 he was still a laughing stock.

Footyislife

I think that certainly plays a role. I also don't like this competition because both are backup level talents atm for a top club, and they aren't competing against an established first team player which would drive them to actually improve rather than just try to outshine the other in training or with a moment of brilliance in a game.

But clearly it doesn't seem to impact Martial as much as he does a much better job of making the right decisions. Martial exhibits the right behaviors which i like, just struggles with consistency which is natural with age and the sporadic nature of his minutes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Unbelievably frustrating player. He's so fecking infuriating at times - especially lately.

Not sure what's happened to him the last few weeks or so. Could simply be the fact that he's a youngster who still has a lot to learn, but he makes you pull your hair out at times.

His decision making is all over the place and that causal lack of concern he showed at the end when Lukaku busted his bollox to get forward was appalling.

The boy has a hell of a lot to learn.

Jericholyte2

I must admit I'm starting to get worried about the boy's potential / mentality.

I've been noticing the last few weeks a much more petulant attitude, throwing arms in air when not played through etc.

Is this just him anxious about playing wide when ideally he'd be in the middle or could this be more?

Yet another reason why we need a pacey winger in January / next summer.

AP88

Supports
Man City

Rashford before Mourinho could sabotage his career trajectory, something people seem to have forgotten. Within the width of the box and 25 yards away from the goal and a coach maximising his talent he can be destructive, but instead he’s starting 50 yards away and wide to accommodate Lukaku and Zlatan.

Andersons Dietician

He was not very good at all today. It was more his selfishness as he did have opertunities to play people in and well he should have scored when he was 1 on 1 with the keeper. Even before he tried to round him, for me it looked like he got the slightest touch on the ball first before he took down Rashford.
Sure he’ll bounce back he, Lingard and Martial should all have a goal today.

Status
Not open for further replies.