5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

In his post match interview yesterday Rashford said there's isn't a designated penalty taker and it's whoever is feeling the most confident at the time. I would imagine most of the time whoever wins the pen then takes it unless like Rashford said they're not feeling confident about it (or ya know it's someone like Shaw who's winning it)
That's all well and good until someone like Lingard wins a penalty and wants to take it.. I still think there should be 2 designated takers. Tbh, Rash, Pogba and Martial are decent penalty takers.

Mike Smalling

That's all well and good until someone like Lingard wins a penalty and wants to take it.. I still think there should be 2 designated takers. Tbh, Rash, Pogba and Martial are decent penalty takers.
To be fair to Lingard, he did score the penalty he won against Cardiff last season in Ole's first game.

Since we don't have one really great penalty taker (like Kane, for example), I think it makes sense to split the responsibility. It will make it harder for the keepers to prepare.

ash_86

This boy has the drive unlike anyone in our team. I think that will drive him to success.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Typical Rashford.

His technique varies throughout a game so much.

I've no clue what to make of him. Sometimes, I think - man he'll be world class. Other times, it's like eh don't see it.
He tries to do difficult things rather than play safe and is very direct, so he's always going to frustrate and lose the ball a lot, or mess things up.

Ronaldo was very similar (in terms of trying things, not neccessarily ability wise) and could be just as frustrating even when he was banging in two goals most games.

He's got amazing determination and self belief and that's what makes me so confident he'll improve and be a really important player for us, it also means he'll be infuriating at times if he has a poor game.

Anyway, called it last season buy I think he'll get 20+ goals this year if he's used in the right way and stays in the team.

RedDevilRoshi

Thought he done well. Won us the pen which we needed after a very nervy start. Took his penalty really well. Scored a good 2nd goal by reading the line well, timing his run to perfection to meet Pogba’s long lofted pass and cooly slotted it Home! Having said that though, those back heels that he does really frustrates meet me! At times yesterday, when we were in a good position, he would try some silly flick that would then result in us losing possession again. Just play it simple Marcus!

OverratedOpinion

What amazes me is that he feels like a leader in the side now at such a young age. He has been around for a few years now and seen a lot in a short career.

He has every attribute, just needs consistency

Sea-Cow

He tracks back defensively and works extremely hard, which is great to see and a great example for the other youngsters.

But my word he can be frustrating. His decision making in the first-half was atrocious and he nullified every possible attacking chance we had. It again looked like our forward players had never played together before.

That is what worries me about this season. Despite playing together for a few years now, Rashford, Martial, and Lingard can look completely inept at times. There will be games where "lesser" teams sit back and try to hit us on the break, and we won't always be gifted silly pk's.

Trying to not be so pessimistic after a brilliant start to the season!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A decent turn around thus far this season, started from the first preseason match. Still has a long way to go to tighten up his game, especially his decision making, but he's off to a pretty solid start. Let's hope his dips in form are not as egregious as last season.

RedCurry

he plays better on the break or when he's not thinking too much. as a team we still fail to break down opponents, and he doesn't particularly help with that. we will see how we get on against a team who defends.
I feel that the team we started against Chelsea is actually a great team to play when we’re against a team that would sit back. Pereira is great when the opposition doesn’t press and he has a lot of time. Pogba would get much further forward. Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, Pereira can all score from distance as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He tries to do difficult things rather than play safe and is very direct, so he's always going to frustrate and lose the ball a lot, or mess things up.

Ronaldo was very similar (in terms of trying things, not neccessarily ability wise) and could be just as frustrating even when he was banging in two goals most games.

He's got amazing determination and self belief and that's what makes me so confident he'll improve and be a really important player for us, it also means he'll be infuriating at times if he has a poor game.

Anyway, called it last season buy I think he'll get 20+ goals this year if he's used in the right way and stays in the team.
Yeah this is how I see it too. He is very direct and takes many risks. When he pulls them off it looks brilliant like for example against Bournemouth. When he loses its frustrating.

Maybe Ole wants this from him, playing very direct and at higher tempo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He tracks back defensively and works extremely hard, which is great to see and a great example for the other youngsters.

But my word he can be frustrating. His decision making in the first-half was atrocious and he nullified every possible attacking chance we had. It again looked like our forward players had never played together before.

That is what worries me about this season. Despite playing together for a few years now, Rashford, Martial, and Lingard can look completely inept at times. There will be games where "lesser" teams sit back and try to hit us on the break, and we won't always be gifted silly pk's.

How often were Martial and Rashford (plus Lingard) played together before Ole?

jem

Last season he would have fluffed that second goal chance.
He is more direct. Obviously Ole has been working with him.
He scored at least two very similar goals last season against Spurs and Leicester. It's those kinds of situations where I have the most confidence in Rashford.

Joseunited

I'd put that 1st half performance(for just about everyone bar Maguire and AWB)as nerves and wanting to impress the Old Trafford crowd in the first home game of the season.

Jacob

Imagine if Rashford turns into a reliable and frequent goalscorer, potentially best striker in the world then.

Kostov

I hope he grabs this opportunity with bot hands and establishes himself in the team as a leader even at his young age. I think he can, I think he still needs to work hard, and I have confidence in Ole managing him properly.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can’t wait till he becomes more efficient and refined in his thinking like Ronaldo did as he aged. He will easily rack up 50 goals a season

stepic

I'd put that 1st half performance(for just about everyone bar Maguire and AWB)as nerves and wanting to impress the Old Trafford crowd in the first home game of the season.
Except we’ve seen this before. A lot. That’s just an excuse. We still look pretty inept breaking down a team because our attackers, whilst great on the counter, are still lacking when trying to craftily open up a team. They’re just not those kinda players. Rashford definitely is not that kinda player.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I can’t wait till he becomes more efficient and refined in his thinking like Ronaldo did as he aged. He will easily rack up 50 goals a season
Easily:smirk:

Ronaldo has always scored a ridiculous amount of headers, Rashford's got a long way to go there. Did a little google search and pr August 2018 he had scored two headers, one of them on his PL debut vs Arsenal.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah this is how I see it too. He is very direct and takes many risks. When he pulls them off it looks brilliant like for example against Bournemouth. When he loses its frustrating.

Maybe Ole wants this from him, playing very direct and at higher tempo.
From what Ole say a he wants him trying these things but running in behind and on goal rather than faffing around on the wing. I definitely agree with that and it also shows Ole has an idea how to coach players.

With Ronaldo it just kind of clicked and he was suddenly scoring goals for fun instead of fanning around by the corner flag. Don't think you'll see as massive a jump from Rashford as he's already more a natural striker/goalscorer anyway, but he'll definitely get more goals as he learns more and more.

roonster09

Scout
From what Ole say a he wants him trying these things but running in behind and on goal rather than faffing around on the wing. I definitely agree with that and it also shows Ole has an idea how to coach players.

With Ronaldo it just kind of clicked and he was suddenly scoring goals for fun instead of fanning around by the corner flag. Don't think you'll see as massive a jump from Rashford as he's already more a natural striker/goalscorer anyway, but he'll definitely get more goals as he learns more and more.
Yeah, I think his goal scoring record will improve. Also that the winger role under Ole is different from under Jose. Don't remember where I read it, but it was mentioned Ole didn't want Rashford to track back always and wants him to stay up for counter attacking, these small changes should help him in scoring goals. With his pace, if he times his run then he will get many chances.

Also RVP mentioned that SAF always asked his players to express themselves on the pitch, maybe Ole is same when it comes to giving freedom. He wants his players to try things instead of fearing about losing possession. I think Rashford takes it too far but I prefer players who tries to unlock defenses than players who are scared and just recycles possession, especially attackers.

IrishRedDevil

Not very fond of Souness, but what he said below is a fair point imo. Rashford is going to be an excellent player but we should have brought in someone to replace Lukaku, as good as he’s started vs Chelsea. At only 21 he may not be long away from going through that run of poor form from last season. Relying on him is very risky, but hopefully he proves wrong and bangs in the goals we need.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/metro.c...rcus-rashford-manchester-united-10559938/amp/
To counter that, the likes of Carragher said a year ago if he didn't get his chance starting at United he should have thought about leaving.

roonster09

Scout
To counter that, the likes of Carragher said a year ago if he didn't get his chance starting at United he should have thought about leaving.
Yeah, him, Redknapp and few others said Rashford should leave if he doesn't get chances. Media/pundits will spin anything to just create headlines. Had we signing someone as CF then they would have said "ManUtd should trust the young players who are on huge wages" "Rashford should consider his future".

Shark

@NotShark
True, I think it was Redknapp. What I’m afraid of is though, what if Rashford fails to deliver this season, will fans write him off because he’s been given this big chance? Will Woodward write him off? He’s only 21 at the end of the day, regardless of his wage he’s burdening a lot. As Souness said, in Neville’s time Rashford would be coming into a side as a sub that’s already winning titles.

Pace Abuser

I guarantee you, had we brought in a Lukaku replacement, pundits would be saying how we've lost our identity and we've blocked the path of a youth player who should now leave.

Shark

@NotShark
I guarantee you, had we brought in a Lukaku replacement, pundits would be saying how we've lost our identity and we've blocked the path of a youth player who should now leave.
A Lukaku replacement didn’t necessarily mean bringing in another striker, but an attacking player who’d make up for the goals, share the burden. Martial is that player currently of course, but he’s not exactly a proven goal scorer either.

roonster09

Scout
A Lukaku replacement didn’t necessarily mean bringing in another striker, but an attacking player who’d make up for the goals, share the burden. Martial is that player currently of course, but he’s not exactly a proven goal scorer either.
Yeah, agree with this. Someone who is natural right winger would have been very good. Maybe Pepe who has scored lot of goals as RW. It also would have given more balance to the team.

GenZRed

You have to say his penalty taking is amazing. I can't believe how cool he was taking that penalty against Columbia in the shootout and against PSG. I'd say he can be (and should be) a 20+ goals plus a season forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
50 goals a season is no joke. Those are all time great numbers and aren't expected to be pulled off (not even your world class strikers pull it off. Who was the last player to score 50 goals in a season in the best leagues that wasn't named Messi or Ronaldo in let's say forever?)by just anyone let alone "easily".

You didn't think this through before typing that :lol:

RedDevilzFox

I do wonder what Rashford could do under someone like Pep in his system. The transformation Sterling has had is remarkable.

KennyBurner

Ive been very critical of Rashford in the past but I really appreciate a player like him who works hard. He had a very nervy start and couldn't control the ball on the wing but that didnt stop him from playing. Sometimes i forget that he is only 21 and will make mistakes from time to time but after the third viewing of the game I really liked his energy throughout. he consistently makes runs and is never depressed when we our midfield doesn't spot him. The kid is destined for greatness if he can add more finesse to his game.

I feel like we might have to give him time if he is played consistently on the left because him and martial are both strikers. He isnt a tarditional winger and struggles in tight spaces which led to his nervy start. As we go deeper into the season i want to see him making smarter decisions when closed down. Against good opposition he will be fine because they wont sit back which gives him space to run into but against a low block he might struggle on the wing. I'm thinking this is where he and martial will have to trade places.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been saying since last season that I’m tracking him at 22/23 goals this season. Next year, I think he’s a 35+ player potentially when he puts it all together. Top young striker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do wonder what Rashford could do under someone like Pep in his system. The transformation Sterling has had is remarkable.
It's not so much the system, it's the coaching too.

They've clearly spent time with Sterling teaching him when to make runs, how to time them. His fellow attackers have the ability to put the ball in dangerous areas behind a defence that suit him perfectly.

Rashford and Martial need to make more runs like they did for the 2nd goal, but they also need a team mate to be able to deliver it correctly.

No coincidence it's always Pogba giving those assists, nobody else really has that ability.

Andersons Dietician

I liked his finish for the 2nd goal. So many times last season he probably would have just thumped that straight at the keeper. Was good to see he is still capable of a little finesse.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Impressive if true.

While this is great, we need to hope this isn't his top level and he keeps improving.

He's at a really good level right now, but if he works hard, studies his movement and improves his weak foot and ball control when dribbling he could be almost unstoppable.

VanGaalEra

Should be our penalty taker tbh, he's fantastic with them.

Before the penalty, he was having a bit of a mare. Hoping for him and Martial, this is their breakout season.

Raw

Should be our penalty taker tbh, he's fantastic with them.

Before the penalty, he was having a bit of a mare. Hoping for him and Martial, this is their breakout season.
Has he even missed one yet? He hasn't really taken that much anyway but the ones he does take are absolute belters. The only ones I can think of are PSG, Chelsea, Colombia pen shootout and Netherlands in the Nations League.

Status
Not open for further replies.