4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

Would be ridiculous to blame him for our poor form or to think he was wrong to want to represent his country at a major tournament. I do get the feeling he is a player unwilling to look inwardly for reasons why his form has dropped. Even his demeanour on the pitch is that of someone who feels hard done by, as if he’s being wronged.

I think he’s benefited from being a home grown player at a time when the club post-Fergie has been grappling for an identity and been an ever-present because of the assumption that his profile means he somehow must represent that rather than him being deserving of a place in the starting line up.

stw2022

One of the most braindead footballers I've seen at this club.

Sell.

Can't play #9, can't play RW and seemingly can't play LW either now.

Limited AF.
Agree. It seems he can only play against teams that defend in a specific way to suit his pace, only if played in a specific position, only once he’s many months past his most recent injury, if he hasn’t got anything else in his mind and hasn’t been through a relationship breakdown in recent memory.

Other than that he’s brilliant:lol:

Name Changed

weso26
Rashford has all the attributes to be a top quality player. I cannot understand why he has regressed so much. I can't just be the injuries. His attitude on the pitch is awful. What annoys me most is that he continually makes the wrong decision over and over again, he does not learn from previous mistakes. And throwing his arms up in the air when he stupidly loses it doesn't do him any favours. I agree with @DutchCruijff , Rashford seems absolutely braindead when on the pitch.

Drizzle

Rashford has all the attributes to be a top quality player. I cannot understand why he has regressed so much. I can't just be the injuries. His attitude on the pitch is awful. What annoys me most is that he continually makes the wrong decision over and over again, he does not learn from previous mistakes. And throwing his arms up in the air when he stupidly loses it doesn't do him any favours. I agree with @DutchCruijff , Rashford seems absolutely braindead when on the pitch.
You've answered yourself there - he doesn't really have the intelligence or, it seems, the character to be a top level player.

That's not to say he isn't a good player, but expectations got way too high for him.

Name Changed

weso26
You've answered yourself there - he doesn't really have the intelligence or, it seems, the character to be a top level player.

That's not to say he isn't a good player, but expectations got way too high for him.
Maybe I should have said physical attributes. I don't think he has the intelligence though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I've noticed Sancho running straight in to the opposition.

Is he brain dead too?

The shot he took vs Wolves when Ronaldo was in clear clear space.

That was brain dead too wasn't it?

JoaquinJoaquin

I've noticed Sancho running straight in to the opposition.

Is he brain dead too?

The shot he took vs Wolves when Ronaldo was in clear clear space.

That was brain dead too wasn't it?
Every winger will occasionally lose the ball and potentially make the wrong decision. Rashford runs into blind alleys and makes the wrong decision every game now, and has for 18 months. He just simply hasn't developed a football IQ.

LoneStar

Don't be ridiculous. Whether someone is playing well or not is QUINTESSENTIALLY a matter of opinion. There are no metrics that answer that question straightforwardly.

Also, congratulations on missing the point, which was that there are some things anyone can opine freely about with exactly the same justification, some things that are matters of opinion but where there is a need to marshal arguments and some things that are pointless to have opinions about because you lack the knowledge necessary to make your opinion relevant. This was an example of the middle category, making the implicit point that you are perfectly justified to have an opinion about Rashford's performances, on the basis of having watched them. But any child can understand that's not the same thing as your opinion being a fact.
When a player fails the eye test and his metrics are poor, then he's performing poorly. You don't need a football pro or rocket scientist to tell you that.

It's not some complex shit you need to argue about, anyone with an eye, including a child can see that Rashford is performing poorly.

If it's backed by metrics, and not just goals/assists, then it is a fact. You can clearly define a framework where a player can be rated as poor or good or anywhere in between based on a set of agreed upon KPIs.

Anyone who thinks a player is good despite every single perceivable metric pointing against that is delusional.

lex talionis

Don't be ridiculous. Whether someone is playing well or not is QUINTESSENTIALLY a matter of opinion. There are no metrics that answer that question straightforwardly.

Also, congratulations on missing the point, which was that there are some things anyone can opine freely about with exactly the same justification, some things that are matters of opinion but where there is a need to marshal arguments and some things that are pointless to have opinions about because you lack the knowledge necessary to make your opinion relevant. This was an example of the middle category, making the implicit point that you are perfectly justified to have an opinion about Rashford's performances, on the basis of having watched them. But any child can understand that's not the same thing as your opinion being a fact.
Surely this must be a parody post. Well done.

Let us suppose that Bruno misses 10 pks straight, all having gone well above the crossbar. Would it be a matter of mere opinion that Bruno’s performance in taking pk’s over those 10 missed pk’s was poor?

Before you answer that question, what you’re missing is that adjectives like the word “poor” can be factually true descriptions of the noun they are describing. On the example above facts not only conclusively support the factual statement that Bruno’s last 10 pk’s were poor, there can be no plausible counterclaim that his 10 pk’s were well taken and that he was the victim of bad luck such as wind gusts.

When assessing Rashford’s performance before his turn for the worse over the last year, it was a factually true statement that he was playing well. You can use other adjectives such as “brilliantly” and the like, but the truth of the description was backed up by various performance metrics relevant to his position. It was not a mere opinion, as valid as any other mere opinion, that for a time Rashford played well, or brilliantly, for United. It was fact.

A QUINTESSENTIAL opinion would be something like whether blue is a more beautiful color than green, whether United’s zebra away kit last year was gorgeous (I actually know a United supporter who loves it), or whether broccoli tastes great or terrible.

In the interest of brevity I’ll leave it there but there is much more to be said to explain the difference between provably true characterization of past events and characterizations that are subject to reasonable disagreement. No reasonable observer would not, for example, in any way deny that United were playing poorly under Ole in his last two months as manager. One could make the argument that despite being outplayed badly match after match that we were playing brilliantly under Ole during the Liverpool, City, Watford and other matches, but the overwhelming weight of the evidence would conclusively disprove such a claim.

Siezard

Yeah the zebra away jersey was fantastic. It will surely nostalgia in the future like this one Rashford scored...

yamo123x

Not many people defending Sir Marcus here. Quite right too. Apart from a small handful of games he has been atrocious for two and half years now. Last year many defended him because of his numerous injuries, but he is serving up the same old dross with slightly more attitude this time around and is quite rightfully being called out.

No one is bigger than the club. So much potential being wasted because fame gone to his head. Hope he can turn it around but he needs to focus on his football and lose the arrogance.

justsomebloke

When a player fails the eye test and his metrics are poor, then he's performing poorly. You don't need a football pro or rocket scientist to tell you that.

It's not some complex shit you need to argue about, anyone with an eye, including a child can see that Rashford is performing poorly.

If it's backed by metrics, and not just goals/assists, then it is a fact. You can clearly define a framework where a player can be rated as poor or good or anywhere in between based on a set of agreed upon KPIs.

Anyone who thinks a player is good despite every single perceivable metric pointing against that is delusional.
Surely this must be a parody post. Well done.

Let us suppose that Bruno misses 10 pks straight, all having gone well above the crossbar. Would it be a matter of mere opinion that Bruno’s performance in taking pk’s over those 10 missed pk’s was poor?

Before you answer that question, what you’re missing is that adjectives like the word “poor” can be factually true descriptions of the noun they are describing. On the example above facts not only conclusively support the factual statement that Bruno’s last 10 pk’s were poor, there can be no plausible counterclaim that his 10 pk’s were well taken and that he was the victim of bad luck such as wind gusts.

When assessing Rashford’s performance before his turn for the worse over the last year, it was a factually true statement that he was playing well. You can use other adjectives such as “brilliantly” and the like, but the truth of the description was backed up by various performance metrics relevant to his position. It was not a mere opinion, as valid as any other mere opinion, that for a time Rashford played well, or brilliantly, for United. It was fact.

A QUINTESSENTIAL opinion would be something like whether blue is a more beautiful color than green, whether United’s zebra away kit last year was gorgeous (I actually know a United supporter who loves it), or whether broccoli tastes great or terrible.

In the interest of brevity I’ll leave it there but there is much more to be said to explain the difference between provably true characterization of past events and characterizations that are subject to reasonable disagreement. No reasonable observer would not, for example, in any way deny that United were playing poorly under Ole in his last two months as manager. One could make the argument that despite being outplayed badly match after match that we were playing brilliantly under Ole during the Liverpool, City, Watford and other matches, but the overwhelming weight of the evidence would conclusively disprove such a claim.
Jesus Christ.

What, do you think that anything that isn't purely a matter of taste is a fact? A judgment is also an opinion. "Climate change requires action" is an opinion. "Vaccines are beneficial to society" is an opinion." "If inflation rises next month, so will national unemployment" is an opinion. Some opinions - such as those LT quote above, require no arguments because they are purely judgments of taste. But a lot of opinions do require supporting arguments. Such as the three things I mention, or "Marcus Rashford has not been playing well". For example, facts, such as stats and metrics. Hence, not all opinions are automatically or equally valid. As LS with some justification points out, "Anyone who thinks a player is good despite every single perceivable metric pointing against that is delusional". That's not because it is a fact that player x has not been playing well, but because the available facts support the opinion that he hasn't.

In any case. The point I was actually addressing concerned the preposterous notion that we we can all safely assume that Marcus Rashford's charity work is negatively impacting on his footballing performance. An opinion advanced without the support of any facts whatsoever, but based purely on assumption. Which also is deserving of the description "delusional".

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Doesn't have the mentality.

He'll do well at spurs, we should sell him.

lex talionis

Jesus Christ.

What, do you think that anything that isn't purely a matter of taste is a fact? A judgment is also an opinion. "Climate change requires action" is an opinion. "Vaccines are beneficial to society" is an opinion." "If inflation rises next month, so will national unemployment" is an opinion. Some opinions - such as those LT quote above, require no arguments because they are purely judgments of taste. But a lot of opinions do require supporting arguments. Such as the three things I mention, or "Marcus Rashford has not been playing well". For example, facts, such as stats and metrics. Hence, not all opinions are automatically or equally valid. As LS with some justification points out, "Anyone who thinks a player is good despite every single perceivable metric pointing against that is delusional". That's not because it is a fact that player x has not been playing well, but because the available facts support the opinion that he hasn't.

In any case. The point I was actually addressing concerned the preposterous notion that we we can all safely assume that Marcus Rashford's charity work is negatively impacting on his footballing performance. An opinion advanced without the support of any facts whatsoever, but based purely on assumption. Which also is deserving of the description "delusional".
Holy Mother of God. I bid you adieu.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Doesn't have the mentality.

He'll do well at spurs, we should sell him.
HaHahahahaha. Jesus Christ. What a load of BS.

He's got the best record in the current squad for goals against the traditional top 6. Even better than Ronaldo. He has consistently scored goals Vs City, Liverpool and Chelsea etc.

Take a day off from the agenda. He's struggling badly for form but he's not a write off. Rashford will return again.

Devil’s Trident

I’m gonna say it. He is a problem. He is one of the biggest egos right now at the club. Gone is the Marcus of 3-4 years ago, the young exciting lad from the academy who was aggressive, passionate, gave his all on the pitch. Welcome Sir Marcus who thinks he is a superstar and has become too big for his boots. A shadow of himself as a player who is going down the Dele alli route but has a brilliant PR and Henry winter behind him to always put a spin. If you have been following his game closely and watching him on and off the pitch the last couple of years you would see how it all happened. Samuel luckhurst has been dropping hints about him. But no one seems to care and no one at the club or in the media has the balls to call him out.

Given how big he has become and how influential he has been outside football, we are going to suffer a lot because it’s Sir Marcus Rashford MBE after all and we all should be glad to have him regardless of how terrible a player he becomes and I’m saying that because the worst is yet to come. Don’t complain you haven’t been warned.

justsomebloke

Holy Mother of God. I bid you adieu.
Likewise. And I look forward to the day when you can have a discussion on this board without having to take issue with people who don't understand the difference between a fact and a fecking opinion.

macheda14

Jesus Christ.

What in the ever loving lord is this post. I mean the first two 'judgments' you chose are facts rather than opinions. The biggest issue we have right now is that people claim them as opinions despite the overwhelming scientific consensus saying they are facts. But beyond that yes there are metrics that point to if someone is playing well or not. When people say 'stats don't paint the entire picture' they are usually responding to a player not scoring enough or not assisting enough. But when every conceivable metric shows that Rashford is playing below his usual average, let alone his best, then you can factually state he is not playing well (in comparison to his own level and the level of premier league quality players). His passing accuracy is down, his pressures are low, his dribbling is failing, his running is lower, his shooting is inaccurate, he's creating no chances. These aren't opinions, they are facts backed up by data. But while its great that we have that data football you can also just use your eyes. Yes it's not scientific, but it can still be factual. There's no need to just come in here an be a piedante.

united for life

Not many people defending Sir Marcus here. Quite right too. Apart from a small handful of games he has been atrocious for two and half years now. Last year many defended him because of his numerous injuries, but he is serving up the same old dross with slightly more attitude this time around and is quite rightfully being called out.

No one is bigger than the club. So much potential being wasted because fame gone to his head. Hope he can turn it around but he needs to focus on his football and lose the arrogance.
i don’t think he is arrogant. He is immensely underperforming and is clearly demotivated. He seems as if he has lost interest. He doesn’t have the heart and the right mindset to go and give a 110% game in game out. This is terrible for a 24 year old footballer

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
So that's got nothing to do with form or injuries.
He was always shit to you.

Then Sancho is a whole different level of Garbage because he hasn't even had a half a level of Rashford's PL performance during the first half start of covid season.

Anyway, I'm done here. I can see Rashford irritates some people's hormones.
He looked really promising 3 years ago and showed some glimpses of becoming a world class player but he has huge consistency issues not to mention what the hell is up with his decision making? Anybody who's as inconsistent as he has been for close to 2 years cannot be considered a good player and please stop with all the injury, playing in wrong positions and personal life problems excuses. As for Sancho he's been a dud so far. Let's see how he does in a year or so.

-Supreme-

I see the usual posters couldn’t stop mentioning Sancho bad performances every time when trying to defend Rashford, just like they did when Martial was still around in the first team squad :lol:

Frank White

I see the usual posters couldn’t stop mentioning Sancho bad performances every time when trying to defend Rashford, just like they did when Martial was still around in the first team squad :lol:
Well he is the player he's being dropped for so kind of makes sense to compare them, no? Is mad how a terrible 15 minute cameo has managed to be turned into 9 pages yet some starters who where equally terrible and played nearly the whole game have barely as many comments :lol:

mk7

I’m gonna say it. He is a problem. He is one of the biggest egos right now at the club. Gone is the Marcus of 3-4 years ago, the young exciting lad from the academy who was aggressive, passionate, gave his all on the pitch. Welcome Sir Marcus who thinks he is a superstar and has become too big for his boots. A shadow of himself as a player who is going down the Dele alli route but has a brilliant PR and Henry winter behind him to always put a spin. If you have been following his game closely and watching him on and off the pitch the last couple of years you would see how it all happened. Samuel luckhurst has been dropping hints about him. But no one seems to care and no one at the club or in the media has the balls to call him out.

Given how big he has become and how influential he has been outside football, we are going to suffer a lot because it’s Sir Marcus Rashford MBE after all and we all should be glad to have him regardless of how terrible a player he becomes and I’m saying that because the worst is yet to come. Don’t complain you haven’t been warned.
What is Luckhurst hinting at? Serious question from someone who does not have a twitter account.

lex talionis

Likewise. And I look forward to the day when you can have a discussion on this board without having to take issue with people who don't understand the difference between a fact and a fecking opinion.
Rather than derail this thread even further, I'd be delighted to explain to you by PM or email what the differences between a fact and an opinion are.

-Supreme-

Well he is the player he's being dropped for so kind of makes sense to compare them, no? Is mad how a terrible 15 minute cameo has managed to be turned into 9 pages yet some starters who where equally terrible and played nearly the whole game have barely as many comments :lol:
You do realise performance threads isn’t just based on 1 game right and the Sancho comparison didn’t just suddenly happen after the Wolves game neither.

Jibbs

It seems Newcastle owners have hired intelligent people, I would love to throw both Maguire and Rashford at them for anything close to 150 m.

justsomebloke

What in the ever loving lord is this post. I mean the first two 'judgments' you chose are facts rather than opinions. The biggest issue we have right now is that people claim them as opinions despite the overwhelming scientific consensus saying they are facts. But beyond that yes there are metrics that point to if someone is playing well or not. When people say 'stats don't paint the entire picture' they are usually responding to a player not scoring enough or not assisting enough. But when every conceivable metric shows that Rashford is playing below his usual average, let alone his best, then you can factually state he is not playing well (in comparison to his own level and the level of premier league quality players). His passing accuracy is down, his pressures are low, his dribbling is failing, his running is lower, his shooting is inaccurate, he's creating no chances. These aren't opinions, they are facts backed up by data. But while its great that we have that data football you can also just use your eyes. Yes it's not scientific, but it can still be factual. There's no need to just come in here an be a piedante.
Of course they're not facts. They are opinions that are strongly supported by facts. And I am not arguing that Rashford is playing well.

Jackal981

It seems Newcastle owners have hired intelligent people, I would love to throw both Maguire and Rashford at them for anything close to 150 m.
Would ship both of them directly there for that sum

Satsuma United

It seems Aston Villa is really backing Gerrard so Rangnick can offer Rashford as a loan, they pay for his salary and he could even regain some confidence and then sell him for 50M.

macheda14

Of course they're not facts. They are opinions that are strongly supported by facts. And I am not arguing that Rashford is playing well.
I mean this is entirely not relevant to this thread. But no they are facts. ‘They’re opinions supported by facts’. What?! What do you think a fact is you numpty. Scientists have stated factually that 1, without human action climate change will get worse. Therefore it requires human action to reverse it. That’s irrefutable. Secondly vaccines only pass research and testing stages unless they are beneficial to society. That’s why the AZ vaccine was not given to younger people as it wasn’t beneficial to them compared to the risks. You are someone who is very articulate and arguably smart but you make some unbelievably stupid statements.

Last edited:

macheda14

Well this thread escalated quickly
Stupidly. And I apologise for being part of it, but people like that are infuriating to me. ‘Ooooo actually saying Rasford is playing poor is an opinion, so can you not use the word fact. It’s incorrect.’ ‘Climate change and the benefit of vaccines are an opinion not facts - that’s relevant’.

Red_toad

So about 115 appearances and 45 goals during that period. Can we please have more atrocious players like that? Love how people just make crap up and post it. Marcus has had issues since he got injured last season, he made a massive mistake putting off surgery and is paying for it now.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
HaHahahahaha. Jesus Christ. What a load of BS.

He's got the best record in the current squad for goals against the traditional top 6. Even better than Ronaldo. He has consistently scored goals Vs City, Liverpool and Chelsea etc.

Take a day off from the agenda. He's struggling badly for form but he's not a write off. Rashford will return again.
No one has an agenda against rashford. People are calling it as they see it.

Out of form you say ? Last time he was in semi decent form was in 2020 and were in 2022!

justsomebloke

I mean this is entirely not relevant to this thread. But no they are facts. ‘They’re opinions supported by facts’. What?! What do you think a fact is you numpty. Scientists have stated factually that 1, without human action climate change will get worse. Therefore it requires human action to reverse it. That’s irrefutable. Secondly vaccines only pass research and testing stages unless they are beneficial to society. That’s why the AZ vaccine was not given to younger people as it wasn’t beneficial to them compared to the risks. You are someone who is very articulate and arguably smart but you make some unbelievably stupid statements.
Fact or Opinion (palmbeachstate.edu)

Status
Not open for further replies.