Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What the feck happened, after a great game against Liverpool, we saw him lazy again. I know he didn't had any chances but at least run your fecking socks off.
The only way he could run against Southampton was deeper, and that would require some hold up skills. They adjusted pretty well tbh, it's so obvious now if he doesn't have space to run into, he's pretty much useless. And that doesn't even take into account how lazy he is.

He has a massive problem as a striker against teams like this. Southampton weren't the pressing machines we've seen occasionally under Ralph. They were content to play relatively deep and had pace at the back to cover as insurance.

This is a game where you needed your striker to drop off, show some strength, hold the ball
, lay it off, then make runs into the box. There weren't the amount of opportunities for him to run into acres as against Liverpool and his skillset falls massively short. Martial would have helped today.
Pretty much this. We can't really expect him to do that either, he's very one dimensional forward.

Foxbatt

He looked too bulked up and lost his pace. Yes he never goes for a header either.
I don't know what is wrong with United and getting players to bulk up and losing their pace. Now I don't agree that thin players are easily pushed off the ball most of the time.

Mr PG

It really pisses me off to see our players defending an opponent as Rashford just stands there watching like Ronaldo does but Ronaldo has earned that status. Sancho always sprints back to defend and Rashie used to do it when he was a bit younger but he's developed this entitlement. I don't think it'll end well as when he gets benched he trows his toys out and completely refuses to try. I honestly think he's off next summer.

Mr PG

Rashford came through when we our team was poor so he was always overrated so he developed this superstar entitlement attitude. If signing players like Casemiro, Antony etc doesn't change his attitude...nothing will

Waynne

He looked too bulked up and lost his pace. Yes he never goes for a header either.
I don't know what is wrong with United and getting players to bulk up and losing their pace. Now I don't agree that thin players are easily pushed off the ball most of the time.
And there's some people in here who want to see him as a CF with Sancho and Antony either side of him :lol:

EtH

Anyone else find it concerning that he lasted the 90 minutes despite being pure piss compared to Sancho and Elanga ?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I hoped the same with our previous two managers but they didn't drop him either. It seems Rashford is invincible no matter how poorly he performs. There's clearly something going on with the board in terms of pressure to play Rashford. It was well documented that when interviewed for the United job, one of the main topics of conversation was if Ten Hag would play Rashford and get him back to his best. To which he obviously said he would.
It looks like that (Rashford is nearly always shite), but would Ten Hag have taken the job if that was the case? He (ETH) didn’t give them an easy time in appointing him so I’d have thought anything like that wouldn’t pass.

Foxbatt

And there's some people in here who want to see him as a CF with Sancho and Antony either side of him :lol:
Not only that, Ronaldo will always go for the header. Rashford never does. The only thing Rashford has over Ronaldo now is his pace. And his stamina I guess. He can never be a CF.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Anyone else find it concerning that he lasted the 90 minutes despite being pure piss compared to Sancho and Elanga ?
Of course not, we wouldn't have pissed away monies on antony if rashford was the dogs bollocks.

Frank White

Of course not, we wouldn't have pissed away monies on antony if rashford was the dogs bollocks.
Huh? So we spent 100m on a RW to replace are CF? If Martial isn't fit and Ronaldo is leaving Rashford for better or worse starts as the CF.

Doracle

More likely I think that ETH doesn’t rate Sancho (or at least wants an alternative to him). I don’t think he’s subbed Rashford yet, whereas Sancho has been subbed every game.

Posh Red

More likely I think that ETH doesn’t rate Sancho (or at least wants an alternative to him). I don’t think he’s subbed Rashford yet, whereas Sancho has been subbed every game.
I’m not so sure. Sancho doesn’t have the best engine, and Rashford’s athleticism can be all the more deadly in the latter stages of games. I fancy Sancho to be a more consistent starter but we shall see.

Shimo

He really will need to learn that when he does get games a our CF he just can’t play the whole time trying to get behind. He has to make himself available, come short at times and be able to some level play with his back to goal.

hopefuly most of the season he spends on the left wing - think will make a good partnership with Malacia there when he does get games. Over there he will really need to learn to pick up his head but with a dynamic front 3, he has a chance to rediscover his form pre-injury.

Bestietom

Rashford will not win aerial duels, either will Sancho, and Martial will be out more than in, so we need to either get a big strong CF in on loan or buy one before deadline.
This is where we will lose out in games again this season. We just don't score enough goals because of a decent CF. Our goal difference being Zero last season.

Last edited:

Hughes35

Just don't rate him as a top class player. He's really poor in so many aspects of the game.

If PSG really were ready to pay decent money for him, they are stupid and we are equally stupid saying no !!!!

RuudTom83

ETH has been pretty vocal with his praise for Rashford and Sancho, I think he is trying to give them some much needed confidence.

Going for the arm around the shoulder approach...but with Antony's arrival they will need to respond quickly to stay in the team.

Waynne

Not only that, Ronaldo will always go for the header. Rashford never does. The only thing Rashford has over Ronaldo now is his pace. And his stamina I guess. He can never be a CF.
Look how he faired as a CF against Southampton. Was anonymous for large parts of the game. Looked like we were playing with 10 men. He's a horrible CF and yes I defo agree with you on how he is in the air. Non existent threat.

We're desperately light up front if Ronaldo leaves before the window closes. I'd rather have a sulking Ronaldo try to get on the end of one of Antony's crosses than Rashford.

Foxbatt

Look how he faired as a CF against Southampton. Was anonymous for large parts of the game. Looked like we were playing with 10 men. He's a horrible CF and yes I defo agree with you on how he is in the air. Non existent threat.

We're desperately light up front if Ronaldo leaves before the window closes. I'd rather have a sulking Ronaldo try to get on the end of one of Antony's crosses than Rashford.
Ronaldo will do his best to get at the end of a cross because he desperately wants to score even if it's for his selfish reasons. I think ETH is in a dilemma. Taking off Ronaldo after 60 mins or bringing him on for the last 20 mins? If we need to break down a team and put in crosses then Ronaldo is the man.

Greck

Imo they are both limited. Rashford is better at breakaway counter goals, Ronaldo is better in the air but we aren't going to start pumping crosses into the box to make Ronaldo's heading ability the chief factor in deciding.

If I had to pick I'd give Rashford the nod because I'd rather the invisible figure over the disruptive one. Rashford's role in Sancho and Bruno's goals were unselfish and bare minimum contributions but they are also contributions Ronaldo tends to stay away from. Rash came short and made himself available for a 1-2 with Dalot rather than camping at the far post like Ronaldo does when plays are begging for link up. On Sancho's goal against Liverpool he swapped positions with Rashford. By contrast Ronaldo treats the central area like he's the only one allowed to score there. You're going to run into him because he isn't switching positions or agreeing to positionally fluid movement.

jem

Imo they are both limited. Rashford is better at breakaway counter goals, Ronaldo is better in the air but we aren't going to start pumping crosses into the box to make Ronaldo's heading ability the chief factor in deciding.

If I had to pick I'd give Rashford the nod because I'd rather the invisible figure over the disruptive one. Rashford's role in Sancho and Bruno's goals were unselfish and bare minimum contributions but they are also contributions Ronaldo tends to stay away from. Rash came short and made himself available for a 1-2 with Dalot rather than camping at the far post like Ronaldo does when plays are begging for link up. On Sancho's goal against Liverpool he swapped positions with Rashford. By contrast Ronaldo treats the central area like he's the only one allowed to score there. You're going to run into him because he isn't switching positions or agreeing to positionally fluid movement.
Right, because constantly leaking to the press, questioning your future after a derby, and flirting with PSG is in no way disruptive...

jem

Ronaldo will do his best to get at the end of a cross because he desperately wants to score even if it's for his selfish reasons. I think ETH is in a dilemma. Taking off Ronaldo after 60 mins or bringing him on for the last 20 mins? If we need to break down a team and put in crosses then Ronaldo is the man.
If it's about starting for the central role, I'll take Ronaldo over Rashford every time. Martial would be my first choice though - just wish he could stay fit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rashford isn't a CF. He's only playing there because ETH wants the entire front line to have the ability to run and press. Hopefully he goes to the bench once Martial returns as he isn't very good these days.

Greck

Right, because constantly leaking to the press, questioning your future after a derby, and flirting with PSG is in no way disruptive...
Pretty sure that was describing on-pitch chemistry as in Ronaldo is disruptive to our attack. Feel free to disagree with that as well. I don't care much whose turd is better, I just happen to prefer Rashford's.

Last edited:

themanguydude

Him as CF is certainly not ideal

But anyone with 2 functioning legs is still better than that geriatric 37 year old

jem

Pretty sure that was describing on-pitch chemistry as in Ronaldo is disruptive to our attack. Feel free to disagree with that as well. I don't care much whose turd is better, I just happen to prefer Rashford's.
I saw Rashford turn his back on a potential rebound tap-in last season - I believe it was following a Greenwood shot. Hard to think of anything more disruptive than that. And his sauntering around the pitch, putting in zero effort, didn't help either. Scott McTominay is invisible; Rashford is a lazy, entitled waster (on the pitch; still respect his work off of it.) Ronaldo, for all his faults, has never been that.

Greck

I saw Rashford turn his back on a potential rebound tap-in last season - I believe it was following a Greenwood shot. Hard to think of anything more disruptive than that. And his sauntering around the pitch, putting in zero effort, didn't help either. Scott McTominay is invisible; Rashford is a lazy, entitled waster (on the pitch; still respect his work off of it.) Ronaldo, for all his faults, has never been that.
If we don't mind making reads then I can throw this in. I just saw Ronaldo sabotage a counter so he would be the one on the end of it. Same guy who is crying about our league position was more than ready to sell the 3 points for his own personal glory. At least we can sub, rotate, reposition or replace Rashford when he's playing gash, Ronaldo just expects us to forfeit points when he's in bad form. What happened in the middle of last season must never repeat. There was no reason he had to finish every game in that form. The one game Rashford subbed for Ronaldo he scored 2 breakaway goals and that was the last time he was subbed.

Waynne

Rashford isn't a CF. He's only playing there because ETH wants the entire front line to have the ability to run and press. Hopefully he goes to the bench once Martial returns as he isn't very good these days.
He will for sure be pushed back to either wings if Martial returns. Just don't understand why some here would like to see him as a CF when he clearly is not.

Exactly. Versatility can be an awesome tool in this squad. Being 1 dimensional will limit our attacking threat.
If its an open game Rashford benefits more with his pace. Low blocks are where Ronaldo can be a genuine attacking threat and where Antony will be crucial in pulling defensive players out of position.
I don't expect anything from Rashford against a low block.

Him as CF is certainly not ideal

But anyone with 2 functioning legs is still better than that geriatric 37 year old
The geriatric 37 year old is a goal machine. I'd rather have that threat up front and give the opposition teams something to actually worry about than a CF that can't be relied on to take his own chances and goes missing in that position. You could have swore we played with 10 men against Southampton. Rashford was a passenger.

Last edited:

Waynne

He will for sure be pushed back to either wings if Martial returns. Just don't understand why some here would like to see him as a CF when he clearly is not.

Waynne

Exactly. Versatility can be an awesome tool in this squad. Being 1 dimensional will limit our attacking threat.
If its an open game Rashford benefits more with his pace. Low blocks are where Ronaldo can be a genuine attacking threat and where Antony will be crucial in pulling defensive players out of position.

Tommy79

I sure you meant to say the bench? As do you really think he is getting in ahead of ETH signing or Sancho ?

Waynne

I sure you meant to say the bench? As do you really think he is getting in ahead of ETH signing or Sancho ?
Don't matter to me if he's on the bench or starting on the wing. Anywhere but CF where he's completely useless.

I'd take a sulking Ronaldo or a Martial on crutches over him at CF.

RedOrange

I don't think this is how ETH will view it necessarily. One way to look at it is that his skillset does not fit with the desired tactics. Another way is that he offers tactical flexibility. There will be matches where we will struggle to hold possession and counterattacks will represent most of the goal scoring opportunities. Rashford might be a better fit for these types of matches than Sancho or Antony, especially if rotation is needed anyways.

Longshanks

The geriatric 37 year old is a goal machine. I'd rather have that threat up front and give the opposition teams something to actually worry about than a CF that can't be relied on to take his own chances and goes missing in that position. You could have swore we played with 10 men against Southampton. Rashford was a passenger.
Lots of games last season where Ronaldo gave worse performances than Rashford against Southampton infact the vast majority of the games Ronaldo played he produced far worse performances.

The geriatric goal machine isn't a goal machine anymore, he occansionaly rolls back the years and produces a vintage performance but they are now very few and far between, and when you demand evey Cross, through ball etc gets played to you even if other players are free and in better posistions then you will score a few goals but at a massive cost to the team.

We don't score that goal against Southampton with Ronaldo on the pitch, he wouldn't make the near post run Rashford did that dragged the defenders out of posistion and created the space for Bruno. With Ronaldo on the pitch, dalot would just chuck it towards him wherever he is in the box (probably around the penalty spot heavily marked) and then we rely on Ronaldo to produce something from nothing. Occansionaly he produces something brilliant and we score, buts its very much few a far between these days.

Ronaldo makes us very one dimensional and predictable going forward. And he drags down the team for the sake of his individual stats.

Olecurls99

Lots of games last season where Ronaldo gave worse performances than Rashford against Southampton infact the vast majority of the games Ronaldo played he produced far worse performances.

The geriatric goal machine isn't a goal machine anymore, he occansionaly rolls back the years and produces a vintage performance but they are now very few and far between, and when you demand evey Cross, through ball etc gets played to you even if other players are free and in better posistions then you will score a few goals but at a massive cost to the team.

We don't score that goal against Southampton with Ronaldo on the pitch, he wouldn't make the near post run Rashford did that dragged the defenders out of posistion and created the space for Bruno. With Ronaldo on the pitch, dalot would just chuck it towards him wherever he is in the box (probably around the penalty spot heavily marked) and then we rely on Ronaldo to produce something from nothing. Occansionaly he produces something brilliant and we score, buts its very much few a far between these days.

Ronaldo makes us very one dimensional and predictable going forward. And he drags down the team for the sake of his individual stats.
Abso bloody exactly

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
And the most hyperbolic post of the year goes too.......

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He did not lost his pace. He's not willing to run so much for whatever reason, but he's absolutely rapid. Not going for headers also. He just looks disinterested most of the time.
The answer is probably that Rashford and Bruno still had a lot of energy, they have high stamina level. Sancho is done pretty quickly, so is Eriksen. IMO this is key for ETH.
I honestly think Ronaldo will either not run or he will be subbed at half time on current form.

This. Rashford IMO feels too comfortable in this team, I hope good competition in either position will give him a kick. Otherwise it will be time to move him.

Leicester 0:1 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Perfect game for him, and he was one of our worst players again. I think I am definitey done hoping he will become good.

Roux

Awful tonight - no idea how to hold up the ball or when the pass.

Red Stone

An assist, somehow. Starting to lose hope he'll return to his former greatness, let alone fulfil his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.