View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

stw2022

I guess this is one of the reasons why it's hard for many United fans to look past his lack of work rate. When he first burst onto the scene, he was really hard working and dynamic, both on the ball and off it. The sudden steep decline in his defensive game is glaring and puzzling. Was really hoping that ETH becoming our manager would help reinvigorate this aspect of his game.

Would be interesting to see how Rashford's defensive game evolved over the years.

The world treated him like a superstar. After that he stopped bursting a bollock every week for the cause. Genuinely don't think it's more complicated than that.

Football is littered with promising young talent who start believing they're God's gift to the game too soon. And it generally goes the same way. They don't have the drive or inclination for the necessary hard work once they attain a certain level of adulation. They've got the millions, the cars, the houses when they're early 20s. They get invited to award ceremonies, they hang with Hollywood's elite; brand endorsements, personal sponsorships etc.

They get to 28 and they're occasionally coming off the bench for Fenerbahce, maybe someone somewhere will start a "Whatever happened to..." thread.

If it wasn't Rashford nobody would be thinking it's a mystery why a young player who was treated like a footballing God whilst still very premature in his development and achieved unprecedented off-field adulation, doesn't have a very good work rate any more.

Doracle

I see STW is back, so Rashford must have gone a game without scoring.

He played ok on Monday. I thought he looked fairly sharp - just surrounded by utter incompetence for most of the match and left isolated as a result.

What I would like from him is more leadership. He’s 25 now and needs to stop showing so many signs of frustration with teammates when they mess up. The clip with Shaw above is a good one to show that.

Keanes Magic Hat

The world treated him like a superstar. After that he stopped bursting a bollock every week for the cause. Genuinely don't think it's more complicated than that.

Football is littered with promising young talent who start believing they're God's gift to the game too soon. And it generally goes the same way. They don't have the drive or inclination for the necessary hard work once they attain a certain level of adulation. They've got the millions, the cars, the houses when they're early 20s. They get invited to award ceremonies, they hang with Hollywood's elite; brand endorsements, personal sponsorships etc.

They get to 28 and they're occasionally coming off the bench for Fenerbahce, maybe someone somewhere will start a "Whatever happened to..." thread.

If it wasn't Rashford nobody would be thinking it's a mystery why a young player who was treated like a footballing God whilst still very premature in his development and achieved unprecedented off-field adulation, doesn't have a very good work rate any more.
Whether he is a superstar or not he's still a very good player and will be our top goalscorer this season.

Jagga7

Look where is on the pitch too, The apologist in here will tell you "but he isn't a striker"

If he wasnt British and an academy player, he would be getting killed for his laziness.

Ironic, for a guy who Jose Mourinho trusted when he first came because he thought Marcus worked much harder defensively than Martial did.
This is the play everyone is jumping on the back off. He was caught on his heels when Shaw lost the ball, hardly justifiable to start calling him lazy.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
This is the play everyone is jumping on the back off. He was caught on his heels when Shaw lost the ball, hardly justifiable to start calling him lazy.
He then proceeds to do nothing to help out, and his body language was not helping.

Howl

I guess this is one of the reasons why it's hard for many United fans to look past his lack of work rate. When he first burst onto the scene, he was really hard working and dynamic, both on the ball and off it. The sudden steep decline in his defensive game is glaring and puzzling. Was really hoping that ETH becoming our manager would help reinvigorate this aspect of his game.

Would be interesting to see how Rashford's defensive game evolved over the years.
This is the problem for me. If he was always lazy we wouldn't know better. But he used to be very hard working off the ball, and he made his name off doing the simple things. His first few goals showed maturity in that he was in the right place at the right time, which is the most important trait a striker can have. Nowadays he acts more like Ronaldo which limits his impact in my opinion. Whenever he does the simple things like utilize his pace to run in behind he's extremely dangerous but when he tries to dribble he always overruns it and loses the ball, which compounds his lack of workrate because if he at least worked hard to get the ball back it wouldn't be so bad. It's all well and good when his number's paper over the cracks but if the goals dry up then there's nothing else there.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
I find it mental how we have fans who watched us under Fergie for years on end, see Rashford doing things like the non attempted header in the cup final or 1/2 with Shaw on Monday, and excuse it knowing that if it happened under Fergie he wouldn’t have been seen on the pitch again for weeks or even sold, mind blowing

stw2022

I find it mental how we have fans who watched us under Fergie for years on end, see Rashford doing things like the non attempted header in the cup final or 1/2 with Shaw on Monday, and excuse it knowing that if it happened under Fergie he wouldn’t have been seen on the pitch again for weeks or even sold, mind blowing
Surely Fergie would have been satisfied with an explanation that relationship issues, memories of old injuries or mental fatigue caused by launching his range of products and commercial endorsements as explanation as to why this home grown superstar was probably covering less space on the pitch off the ball than any of his team mates including the keeper.

For most of us it isn't even so much that there are worrying gaps in the basics of his game or even his form. It's the observable and undeniable lack of effort compared to literally everyone around him.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Surely Fergie would have been satisfied with an explanation that relationship issues, memories of old injuries or mental fatigue caused by launching his range of products and commercial endorsements as explanation as to why this home grown superstar was probably covering less space on the pitch off the ball than any of his team mates including the keeper.

For most of us it isn't even so much that there are worrying gaps in the basics of his game or even his form. It's the observable and undeniable lack of effort compared to literally everyone around him.
Exactly, the hoops people jump through to defend him is what annoys me most, I could get over the deficiencies in his game a lot easier if I saw more effort from him but that ships long sailed, I’m at the point where I’m dying to see the back of him, he’s really not all that, and knowing he’ll get a free pass for another few years it won’t happen anytime soon, which is funny cause I absolutely loved him when he first broke into the team

he’s lazy and thinks he’s above the dirty work, amazingly considering he’s achieved practically nothing,

he’s one of the biggest problems we have and I’m saying for 2/3 years now we’ll achieve nothing with him (and one or 2 others) in the team.

Last edited:

Strelok

Rashford gonna score today I reckon. He usually does really well against Spurs.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Let’s be honest, if he weren’t from the academy, people wouldn’t even want him here from the total lack of effort he shows. He plays like he hates football, must be such a chore being paid millions to turn up twice a week on the pitch.

He’s an utter waste of space when he can’t be arsed and we’re not good enough to indulge in someone like him.

stw2022

Would he get away with that kind of stuff under Fergie, honestly mate just ask yourself that, it’s a simple answer
Might seem harsh but for me nothing exemplifies the drop in standards any more than watching most Rashford performances and convincing ourselves what we're watching is top class.

Long Time Red

That should be his last game as a striker.

He's coming off his best ever season being played out of position.

We'd be a better team with Rashford left and a half fit Martial or Sancho through the middle.

MiracleInMadrid

Unforgivable..

Has too many patches during a season where he just seems switchee off completely.

PSV

Fergie would have sent him to the Reserves if he was jogging about like he has the first games. Got his contract so no interest now.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Might seem harsh but for me nothing exemplifies the drop in standards any more than watching most Rashford performances and convincing ourselves what we're watching is top class.
It’s not harsh, it’s the truth. Rooney combined talent and hard work. Rashford isn’t even as talented as Rooney and his work rate is fractions of it. Piss poor from an academy graduate, you’ll think they know what it means to play for the club, but someone’s above working hard, especially when he got his big deal signed up.

redom

He's just not cut out for the lone striker role, he's incapable of playing with his back to goal and hasn't got any aerial threat, the only things going for him are his finishing and pace which is helpful when we're playing on the counter but most of the time he's just nullified and anonymous. We need to get him back on the left, especially with Garnacho struggling to find his feet.

OverratedOpinion

Is not a lone striker.

He should never play that role again. Martial looked better in 5 minutes in that position than Rashford has in 175 minutes.

Ceteris

Can't be arsed, can he?. Regardless of position effort is non-negotiable at this club or it used to be.

We now have players of his profile who can't put in a shift when it matters

Reasons why we lose by 6 and 7.

SlothIsLove

Should never play at CF position again. He just doesn't have the skills set and the football IQ to be a good no.9

SirScholes

It’s not harsh, it’s the truth. Rooney combined talent and hard work. Rashford isn’t even as talented as Rooney and his work rate is fractions of it. Piss poor from an academy graduate, you’ll think they know what it means to play for the club, but someone’s above working hard, especially when he got his big deal signed up.
Tbf to the bloke he didn’t have any service at all

DarkXaero

Been atrocious in these 2 games, whether he's a striker or not. There's just a general lack of effort and low IQ play from him, something that we've unfortunately seen from him in the past.

We will never be a top team as long as he's a regular for us. He's a hindrance in anything other than a counter attacking system and we can't afford to carry him for the 75% of the time he looks like he's come from The Championship.

jem

Absolute joke playing up front. I think he's overrated full-stop, but the only place he should ever play is on the left (and I don't think he should be an automatic starter there.)

twitter thread suggester
Can’t wait for him to play on the wing again. And if he keeps being this crap then put him on the bench.

jem

We will never be a top team as long as he's a regular for us. He's a hindrance in anything other than a counter attacking system and we can't afford to carry him for the 75% of the time he looks like he's come from The Championship.
And as usual, we've gotten carried away, given him an exorbitant contract, and now he'll be an automatic starter, no matter how terribly he plays.

stw2022

Give it a few hours and we'll be round to "i thought he looked sharp, played really well"