4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
And how the feck is he and Antony the last man for a corner defending ?

Redstain

Same category as Bruno not the best in the phases of play but crucial to the creation of chances. What United need is another prolific player who can threaten and the team will be dangerous.

stw2022

Offensive forwards are supposed to make, you know, offensive forward contributions without their play lacking so severely in other areas that end up putting strain on the rest of the team.

There's never been denying that on his day, with a tail wind, the right mood, against the right opponent and hoping he isn't feeling sad about his relationship, previous injuries or climate change, that he can have an impact going forwards.

The issue is whether burdening the team with a player worse than a passenger for 75% of the season and individually in matches is worthwhile because of those attacking contributions.

Rashford's biggest asset in this debate is the notion that it's a zero sum game; that is obvious if you want a forward player to do well you have to put up with him being dreadful most of the time in most aspects of his game. I don't think that's true.

"Yeah he's terrible normally but occasionally he'll look really productive in patches during games" really isn't the high bar of a legendary, top player. I think we could get all we get out of Rashford in terms of output with much better overall team contributions for a hell of a lot less than £300k a week.

acnumber9

He used his speed well to cause problems a handful of times, but there is not much else, and against a faster fullback those chances do not happen.
Would a faster full back have stopped his pass for the second goal?

Frank White

Outside of having a hand in all 3 goals I'm actually pretty worried about him. He looks dead, well I hope it's that or he's playing half arsed which is obviously worse. Did do a bit better in the 2nd half but still so far away from what should be expected from him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Was pretty obvious Forest targetted him with double and triple ups today. Shaw was big loss to attack the space left, as Dalot couldn’t offer anything in support. Not his best game, but instrumental for all the goals, which tells you about his quality.

Womp

idiot
Person next to me suggested the lack of Shaw was the reason why, and to have Dalot as another tall header in the box.
May have to also do with the fact that they are our two quickest players and Antony is usually quite good defensively for a forward.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Played big parts in all 3 goals but his decision making at the end was so poor.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What a pickle. He's a "moments" player, always has been (those moments happen more often if he's on fire mentally, what doesn't seem to be the case now).

If I was a coach for Man Utd I'd work with Marcus on the buildup / possession play. Too many times he runs into a blind alley, or does something that has very little chance of coming off.

It's like Garnacho only worked on what he already does well - he'd become the closest thing to Rashford mk2.

stw2022

It's like Garnacho only worked on what he already does well - he'd become the closest thing to Rashford mk2.
This is the big issue. He's arguably improved in doing what he could do at 19. But he still can't do anything else. He hasn't developed any other aspect of his game after all this time.

What he had at 19 combined with a player that was capable of becoming better off the ball, better passing, better defensively, better in terms of upper body strength- or whichever additional strings to their bows that young players add as they mature to make them more rounded contributiors to the team effort, would see him be a fairly formidable player now. But none of that has happened.

Hand on heart who can say Rashford has added a single one. I'm not sure it's appreciated how unusual that is for someome many claim to be a top player, to have not developed a single additional attribute from his debut season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not great in terms of his overall play but played a massive part in the three goals, which ultimately got us the much needed three points.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Two excellent moments and a nice clipped pass leading up to the Casemiro goal. But that’s my only positive memory of his contribution over 113 minutes of football. Most of which we spent on the ball, throwing everything forward in attack, which couldn’t be a better opportunity for a player like Rashford to fill his boots. Plus there’s a very long list of negative contributions, most notably when he repeatedly screwed up great situations in the last 20 minutes. Maybe I’m missing something? Can anyone remember anything else he did that was good? A good pass? A dribble which didn’t end up losing the ball? A god shot? Anything?

The really maddening thing is that there was a moment in the first half where he sprinted back and did some very solid defensive work. So he is capable of mucking in and doing the dirty work. When the mood takes him. But only when the mood takes him. Otherwise he’s a nonentity when we don’t have the ball and a liability when we do.

I honestly struggle to think of a more frustrating player I’ve ever watched in a United shirt. Maybe Nani at his worst?

KjaAnd

He’s one of our most important players but he also has some serious flaws that are holding us back. Most importantly, he lacks intensity and he has done so for a while.

I cannot count the amount of times today where he lost the ball or messed up attacks because he insists on doing everything halfheartedly and in slow motion.

For their first goal, he pulls out of tackles TWICE where he could have easily gotten the ball.

It’s incredibly frustrating to watch because he’s a real handful when he decides to be. There’s just something mentally off and I don’t understand why it isn’t being addressed.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is the big issue. He's arguably improved in doing what he could do at 19. But he still can't do anything else. He hasn't developed any other aspect of his game after all this time.

What he had at 19 combined with a player that was capable of becoming better off the ball, better passing, better defensively, better in terms of upper body strength- or whichever additional strings to their bows that young players add as they mature to make them more rounded contributiors to the team effort, would see him be a fairly formidable player now. But none of that has happened.

Hand on heart who can say Rashford has added a single one. I'm not sure it's appreciated how unusual that is for someome many claim to be a top player, to have not developed a single additional attribute from his debut season.
This. I actually never thought about this before but that seems to be that case. He could become so much better if he worked on those aspects of the game. He doesn't need to become world class at it, just get it to acceptable level.

Rossa

Feck me he looked slow today. Especially his acceleration looked tumescent. Overall way off the pace, but then he is involved in all three goals, so there you are… and one of theirs

Rossa

And how the feck is he and Antony the last man for a corner defending ?
Wasn’t AWB the last man, but he fecked up his challenge, didn’t bother to track back. Then Rashford lost his challenge and stopped running, but regained his senses, before completely losing them at the end of that play again.

AndySmith1990

Two excellent moments and a nice clipped pass leading up to the Casemiro goal. But that’s my only positive memory of his contribution over 113 minutes of football. Most of which we spent on the ball, throwing everything forward in attack, which couldn’t be a better opportunity for a player like Rashford to fill his boots. Plus there’s a very long list of negative contributions, most notably when he repeatedly screwed up great situations in the last 20 minutes. Maybe I’m missing something? Can anyone remember anything else he did that was good? A good pass? A dribble which didn’t end up losing the ball? A god shot? Anything?

The really maddening thing is that there was a moment in the first half where he sprinted back and did some very solid defensive work. So he is capable of mucking in and doing the dirty work. When the mood takes him. But only when the mood takes him. Otherwise he’s a nonentity when we don’t have the ball and a liability when we do.

I honestly struggle to think of a more frustrating player I’ve ever watched in a United shirt. Maybe Nani at his worst?
Yeah I agree. That seems to be it. He turns up when he feels like, instead of putting in the effort at all times. Very frustrating

stw2022

This. I actually never thought about this before but that seems to be that case. He could become so much better if he worked on those aspects of the game. He doesn't need to become world class at it, just get it to acceptable level.
Already huge question marks over his workrate and I think there's a massive pinch of English player bias that he isn't slaughtered for how little effort he makes during a game. This isn't someone whose desire to work hard extends much beyond a beautifully framed and filtered Instagram montage of him in preseason looking a bit sweaty, with a caption written by the same member of his socials team he had to rely on to write the farewell message to De Gea.

It's not exactly shocking the laziest person on the field hasn't developed other elements of his game through hard work and endeavour.

Look out for "last person on training ground" stores being planted in media, once they get whiff of the workrate criticism.

Gordon S

An enigma. Full of energy at times, unplayable when he gets going. And at times just barely there, like he is thinking about other more important stuff. Still sadly crucial to our attacking play. Just wish we had the quality in the squad to replace him when he is switched off.

Rossa

Maybe Nani at his absolute worst, but that is a disservice to Nani. This is Rashford. He lacks intensity, work ethic and a good first touch. Nani had them all - he was just erratic.

Raven

Thought he was very frustrating but he did well for the goals so can't really complain.

M Bison

Supports
York City
An enigma. Full of energy at times, unplayable when he gets going. And at times just barely there, like he is thinking about other more important stuff. Still sadly crucial to our attacking play. Just wish we had the quality in the squad to replace him when he is switched off.
I’m a big fan but I think this captures it well today. Like Antony I felt he was really close to having a brilliant game but it didn’t quite happen. The frustration for me was when he lost possession he went down holding his ankle or face, like he’d been fouled which gets on my nerves but it just felt like he had another gear he could move into if he really wanted to.

Rockets Redglare

Near the end there was a long ball played down the left by Onana that the defender jumped for and missed. If Rashford had been on the move he’d have been in, but he just stood completely still and watched giving the defender the chance to recover.

Such a frustrating footballer at times.

jem

Awful yet decisive. Rashford in a nutshell. Personally, I'm not a fan of that trade-off, but credit where it's due for contributing to all 3 goals today.

Idxomer

Following the logic in the Casemiro thread, we should be seriously concerned. Looks slow and heavy
A lot of our players have looked that way this season. AWB and Bruno are the ones who have looked close to full fitness.

always_hoping

Got the assist for the first goal, played the smart cross in for the 2nd goal and won the penalty for the 3rd goal. I'll be more that happy if he delivers that type of contribution in the majority of games.

Golden Nugget

Strange game.

Thought Antony played well and Rashford was poor - yet Antony had no contributions and Rashford played a huge part in all 3 goals.

Witchking

One of the most important players at United.

This is why we are in the mess we are.

A player like him at other clubs would probably be second choice due to his attitude and not picking up any traits to be a decent CF, or hold the ball, bring others into play, have the capacity or an eye for a pass. Nothing.

He can play counter attack when he gets some space. His finishing is not the best.

Runs into blind alleys keeping his head down. Very very disappointing player.

acnumber9

One of the most important players at United.

This is why we are in the mess we are.

A player like him at other clubs would probably be second choice due to his attitude and not picking up any traits to be a decent CF, or hold the ball, bring others into play, have the capacity or an eye for a pass. Nothing.

He can play counter attack when he gets some space. His finishing is not the best.

Runs into blind alleys keeping his head down. Very very disappointing player.
How many clubs have players capable of scoring thirty goals sitting on their bench? When you’re not very good it’s not your better players that are the problem.

Gordon S

Following the logic in the Casemiro thread, we should be seriously concerned. Looks slow and heavy
I think people are expressing their concerns here?

And Rashford slow is a different kind of slow to Casemiros slow. Casemiro is running like he has ski boots on.

Witchking

How many clubs have players capable of scoring thirty goals sitting on their bench? When you’re not very good it’s not your better players that are the problem.
30 goals happened 1 season in his 8 with united. It's an anomaly and not his standard. He is over hyped only because he came though the ranks. He is nothing without his pace. Tired now of players like him at United.

acnumber9

30 goals happened 1 season in his 8 with united. It's an anomaly and not his standard. He is over hyped only because he came though the ranks. He is nothing without his pace. Tired now of players like him at United.
Multiple 20 plus goals seasons before that without being a regular penalty taker. The bigger problems are the players who are worse than him. It’s just creating a way to have a go at him. Maybe if we had more Rashford’s and less Martial’s, teams wouldn’t be able to solely concentrate on trying to mark our only dangerous attacker out of the game.

What clubs are putting Rashford on the bench?