4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Garnacho was a year or two further in his development I could see a scenario where he benches Rashford for a while, he doesn't currently offer quite enough over 90 to justify that yet. I don't think ten Hag will bench Rashford in the midst of the Sancho drama, last thing he needs is anymore dressing room issues, especially now we've finally strung a few wins together. I think last night's performance was significant for Rashford because the home fans were loving the effort put on display by everyone, he's not gonna get away with these half-arsed performances anymore, even less so when he's not even contributing goals.

Everyone knows what a big player he can be for us, and how important he can be for our attack but he needs to start applying himself again - if he played with half the desire Garnacho did last night he'd probably be on for another 25+ goal season.

Hughes35

I'd genuinely drop him for the game this weekend. I don't see how he can come back in when we performed so well.

Team to start this weekend if it was me:

----------------------------Onana-------------------------
Dalot------------Varane-------Martinez---------Amrabat
---------------Casemiro-----------Hannibal--------------
Mount---------------------Bruno-------------------Garnacho
------------------------------Hojlund------------------------

Heart breaking leaving Pellisti out but I'd bring Mount off after 55 minutes as he gains fitness so still give Pellistri game time.

Nice to have some selection headaches for a change. Fair play to the young lads for quickly making themselves a viable option.

Doracle

Why would anyone drop our best attacker just at the point it looks like we might actually have a competent midfield to provide him with some service? He starts at the weekend and, if the team behind him can maintain their level against a stronger Palace team, I expect him to have a good game.

Real Name

I think maybe we should just sell him. It’s clear he is holding us back and we are going to win trebles and quadruples with garnacho and Pellestri. He is not even better than welbeck, so why are we coddling him?
Stay in the newbies.

Real Name

Why would anyone drop our best attacker just at the point it looks like we might actually have a competent midfield to provide him with some service? He starts at the weekend and, if the team behind him can maintain their level against a stronger Palace team, I expect him to have a good game.
Exactly. We won a game in which arguably opponents werent their best, sure we played some nice stuff but many posters here couldn't wait to claim its cause Rashford was out and he should be dropped.

Real Name

He's scored 4 goals in his last 21 appearances. It's decent for a midfielder but it's not good enough when it's the player that will through - let's be generous and say self belief - take the lions share of chances for himself. In fact it's very problematic.

Observing this, and the fact that we seem to play with more creativity without him, is apparently an 'agenda' and there's going to be a Rumble video lashing out against this awful conspiracy any minute, no doubt.
Well when someone has about 10 posts in just one page it's exaxtly that - an agenda.

Keanes Magic Hat

Has to start IMO, I can't understand why people are laying the blame on his door.

He would have had a field day last night, he's not the reason that we have had injuries there have been individual errors and Casemiro wasn't playing well.

Last night were a good opposition for us to build some confidence and momentum, they didn't try to put us under any pressure defensively.

I think with a run of wins, everyone will improve with confidence and belief.

Born2Lose

I think Rashford's biggest problem is the level of entitlement he's been allowed to adopt over the past few years. Whether he plays well or poorly he always knows he'll be starting.

As a previous poster pointed out 4 goals in 21 apps is shocking. It would earn you a place on the bench at City and Liverpool and if we want to be up there with those teams then it should be the standard here.

IamBurnsey

If he plays the next game with the same greedy mindset then he needs dropped, he can be our game changer against any team in any kind of match but lately he seems to be doing anything to score even at the expense of passing to someone else, hopefully ten hag has a word with him about this.

Withnail

One of the maddest things to see on redcafe is when someone goes all in on a player they dislike. Ranting and raving about them after every single performance. So angry about this player that they start creating fictional scenarios to criticise the player, that never actually happened. When you start criticising moments from a performance that is entirely a creation of your own mind it's probably a good sign to take a deep breath and walk away from the thread.

The other classic trope of these "all in" lunatics is that they are always the most prolific poster in that player's thread. I intuitively knew you'd be right up there at numero uno before I'd actually checked and sure enough...

stw2022
    Full Member · 41
    • Messages 3,606
    • Reaction score 10
    • Points 0
    Cassidy
    No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser · 38
    • Messages 30,164
    • Reaction score 12
    • Points 0
    Frank White
    Full Member · 33
    • Messages 1,568
    • Reaction score 10
    • Points 0
    Drizzle
    Full Member · 43
    • Messages 1,083
    • Reaction score 10
    • Points 0
    TMDaines
    Full Member · 33
    • Messages 13,304
    • Reaction score 13
    • Points 0

Well when someone has about 10 posts in just one page it's exaxtly that - an agenda.
What you'll both also notice is that there won't be a response. All replies that disagree will be ignored and the thread will continue to get spammed with stand alone posts.

Andersons Dietician

Wait so are we not allowed to post more than ten times in any thread or it becomes an agenda :houllier:

In that guys defence he did create a thread to discuss Rashford in during his more purple patch seasons and talked about the very same issues that are viewable now. Just seems like it’s taken people 2 or 3 years to catch up and see the faults in his game.

I hope he does improve and 1 game doesn’t prove we are better without him but yesterday we did a lot of things people have been pointing out that we can’t do becuase of the likes of himself and Bruno. Hopefully however this weekend they take note of the midweek performance and can see the areas they need to improve on.

Dorris

… he’s probably just done all the running off-the-ball in behind that nobody else in the squad fancies doing.
It’s not an either or… does Salah or did Mane go ‘nah I’ve just ran in behind, why would I bother trying to win the ball back?’

Based Adnan

If you want to instill a culture of accountability at the club then he has to benched on Saturday. Hasn't been good enough with a poor attitude to boot while his back up has come in and done well.

Real Name

Wait so are we not allowed to post more than ten times in any thread or it becomes an agenda :houllier:

In that guys defence he did create a thread to discuss Rashford in during his more purple patch seasons and talked about the very same issues that are viewable now. Just seems like it’s taken people 2 or 3 years to catch up and see the faults in his game.

I hope he does improve and 1 game doesn’t prove we are better without him but yesterday we did a lot of things people have been pointing out that we can’t do becuase of the likes of himself and Bruno. Hopefully however this weekend they take note of the midweek performance and can see the areas they need to improve on.
Ten posts or more per page.

There are no 2, 3 people, there are numerous posters who are on his back constantly who cant wait for an opportunity to bang the standard drop him or sell him note. Same with Bruno, the other day he won us a game, one game in which we looked good, albeit against a poor opposition and suddenly Bruno needs to be sold. Remarkable.

Last edited:

sleepehead

I think Rashford's biggest problem is the level of entitlement he's been allowed to adopt over the past few years. Whether he plays well or poorly he always knows he'll be starting.

As a previous poster pointed out 4 goals in 21 apps is shocking. It would earn you a place on the bench at City and Liverpool and if we want to be up there with those teams then it should be the standard here.
Yeah looking back he's had 8 G+A since beginning of March of last season and yet he's still produced more than anyone outside of Bruno and Casemiro (tied for 8 G+A) which says more about the team than anything else. Has he slowed down since early spring? Yes, but it stands out even more because him and Bruno are the only consistent scorers.

A lot of people are screaming for Garnacho to replace Rashford but I think it's way too soon for that, he still struggles to do well when he starts vs better opposition. And he's not seeing the same coverage as Rashford. Rashford always looks like he's got 2 guys on him whereas Garnacho is only consistently only getting 1v1s.

Also say we sell Rashford, how quickly before everyone turns on Garnacho if he starts to get an ego problem again. Let's bed him slowly and keep his head down instead of giving a starting position before he's fully developed and ready.

El-Manos

I'd start him but ETH should not be afraid to sub him off early if he decides to be wasteful/selfish with his opportunities.

RuudTom83

Playing against a poor Palace side is not the same as playing away against Arsenal and Spurs.

Rashford and Bruno will be up for the match this weekend. So this talk of benching him is very premature.

9 Stone Elvis

Yeah looking back he's had 8 G+A since beginning of March of last season and yet he's still produced more than anyone outside of Bruno and Casemiro (tied for 8 G+A) which says more about the team than anything else. Has he slowed down since early spring? Yes, but it stands out even more because him and Bruno are the only consistent scorers.

A lot of people are screaming for Garnacho to replace Rashford but I think it's way too soon for that, he still struggles to do well when he starts vs better opposition. And he's not seeing the same coverage as Rashford. Rashford always looks like he's got 2 guys on him whereas Garnacho is only consistently only getting 1v1s.

Also say we sell Rashford, how quickly before everyone turns on Garnacho if he starts to get an ego problem again. Let's bed him slowly and keep his head down instead of giving a starting position before he's fully developed and ready.
We dont have to sell him, we just need ot have some accountability for poor performance and his performances have been poor. His negative points have been demonstrated by other players too who get criticised almost universally by the fanbase. The lack of tracking back, apparent interest and general stroppiness of Ronaldo and Martial were an almost constant source of frustration for many but there doesnt seem to be a correlation in the fanbase between those who criticise them and those who criticise Rashford. Its almost like they are in two separate camps and that ramps up the extreme views.

The fundamental problem with Rashford is that as a technical footballer and in terms of his contribution its actually very poor other than when he scores or assists. That sounds really obvious and a completely stupid comment in one sense because scoring and assisting are absolutely vital but when he isnt doing either of those things he ends up having a negative impact on the team overall. We can excuse it when hes having a 30 goal season, of course we can, but when he isnt, what are you left with??

For me the "9 shots against Brighton" really smacked of a similar statistic to "70 crosses against Fulham" under Moyes. It wasn't a positive at all!

Shimo

I'd start him but ETH should not be afraid to sub him off early if he decides to be wasteful/selfish with his opportunities.
Yep and add in he has to show the effort defensively. ETH publicly stated Garnacho's defensive performances were not up to par in the first couple of games even though he has good actions going forward. Same should be the case of Rashford. Would show a couple of things if Garnacho comes in for Rashford early if he is not doing his job both ways, one everyone is held to the same standards, secondly, when you do your job and perform well like Garnacho did on Tuesday, you will get your chance.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
We dont have to sell him, we just need ot have some accountability for poor performance and his performances have been poor. His negative points have been demonstrated by other players too who get criticised almost universally by the fanbase. The lack of tracking back, apparent interest and general stroppiness of Ronaldo and Martial were an almost constant source of frustration for many but there doesnt seem to be a correlation in the fanbase between those who criticise them and those who criticise Rashford. Its almost like they are in two separate camps and that ramps up the extreme views.

The fundamental problem with Rashford is that as a technical footballer and in terms of his contribution its actually very poor other than when he scores or assists. That sounds really obvious and a completely stupid comment in one sense because scoring and assisting are absolutely vital but when he isnt doing either of those things he ends up having a negative impact on the team overall. We can excuse it when hes having a 30 goal season, of course we can, but when he isnt, what are you left with??

For me the "9 shots against Brighton" really smacked of a similar statistic to "70 crosses against Fulham" under Moyes. It wasn't a positive at all!
I think he’s identified the parts of his game that he’s genuinely very good at, and just does those on repeat. And I can *kind of * see the logic in that (do what you’re best at). But it does expose him as being not that great at a couple of other facets of his game; ones that a starting forward for Man United really should be competent at too.

Stig

For me the 'issue' with Rashford is that he's a one trick pony.

He's brilliant at getting on a through ball, running one on one against a defender and goalkeeper and smacking it into the back of the net. When he gets that right, as he did last year, he's brilliant.

However that is all, I think, he has got.

He' s not good a crossing balls into the box, he tends not to do it and just makes a bee line for goal himself, even if it isn't the best option.
He doesn't come back and defend with enough effort.
He doesn't do that much pressing.
When we don't attack through him he doesn't get into the box, he doesn't come in at the back post to try and meet cross, he's nowhere to be seen.

When his one trick isn't working he doesn't add much to the team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For me the 'issue' with Rashford is that he's a one trick pony.

He's brilliant at getting on a through ball, running one on one against a defender and goalkeeper and smacking it into the back of the net. When he gets that right, as he did last year, he's brilliant.

However that is all, I think, he has got.

He' s not good a crossing balls into the box, he tends not to do it and just makes a bee line for goal himself, even if it isn't the best option.
He doesn't come back and defend with enough effort.
He doesn't do that much pressing.
When we don't attack through him he doesn't get into the box, he doesn't come in at the back post to try and meet cross, he's nowhere to be seen.

When his one trick isn't working he doesn't add much to the team.
Hes actually decent at putting balls in, he just doesn't do it enough, he is also pretty good at finding passes into forwards from a bit deeper too, off the wing. Again he's not doing it enough though.

Agree with the rest

FerociousCorgis

all the talk of putting down the teams performance in the Carabao cup since we played a "weak opponent" makes little sense compared to how much the team struggled to a shit burnley squad that is at bottom of the table. Fact is we saw the team actually playing well, with a very clear style. Rashford needs to show he can offer the same and not be a black hole in the attack, while providing a lack of effort off the ball when we dont have possession. Dont think he gets dropped but if we come back and play like shit with him, and also bruno as well, people will start to wonder.

Brightonian

Hes actually decent at putting balls in, he just doesn't do it enough, he is also pretty good at finding passes into forwards from a bit deeper too, off the wing. Again he's not doing it enough though.
I think this is more balanced and accurate, yes. Anyone pretending Rashford can't pass the ball, cross, or take part in intricate moves through the middle hasn't watched him very much. He's done all of this to a very high level for much of his career with us.

But he does seem to have become a bit fixated on repeating what worked during his strongest spell last season: the really aggressive Robben-esque run directly at the defender and as directly towards the goal as possible approach. It's understandable, because it was so effective that for a spell last season he was the most dangerous forward in a league containing Haaland, Salah and Kane. Few wouldn't be tempted just to try and replicate that. It falls on him but also on the manager to coach him back towards a more varied style of play.

He almost needs to regress slightly back towards the more creative, less productive type of player he was a couple of years ago, before he got his back injury. Press more, roam more, try different things more, don't be as pinned to the same starting position and the same type of attacking move. Back then everyone was on him to focus more on the end product. Now he's all end product and needs to swing slightly back in the other direction.

Stig

I think this is more balanced and accurate, yes. Anyone pretending Rashford can't pass the ball, cross, or take part in intricate moves through the middle hasn't watched him very much. He's done all of this to a very high level for much of his career with us.

But he does seem to have become a bit fixated on repeating what worked during his strongest spell last season: the really aggressive Robben-esque run directly at the defender and as directly towards the goal as possible approach. It's understandable, because it was so effective that for a spell last season he was the most dangerous forward in a league containing Haaland, Salah and Kane. Few wouldn't be tempted just to try and replicate that. It falls on him but also on the manager to coach him back towards a more varied style of play.

He almost needs to regress slightly back towards the more creative, less productive type of player he was a couple of years ago, before he got his back injury. Press more, roam more, try different things more, don't be as pinned to the same starting position and the same type of attacking move. Back then everyone was on him to focus more on the end product. Now he's all end product and needs to swing slightly back in the other direction.
Well said.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I mean again I’ll just say personally I’d even take him being continually selfish if he actually fecking worked hard out of possession. That’s literally all he needs to do. I want to see him lose the ball and then sprint back to harass the defender to get it back like Garnacho did the other day.

Stig

Man management. That's potential responsible. He's become an arrogant, lazy, petulant, sulky and selfish player lauded and praised well beyond his abilities largely due to his off the field ventures. His home grown status and admirable PR, and maybe his nationality, means there's been a huge reluctance to come to that obvious conclusion
That hit the nail squarly on the head.

Posh Red

One of the maddest things to see on redcafe is when someone goes all in on a player they dislike. Ranting and raving about them after every single performance. So angry about this player that they start creating fictional scenarios to criticise the player, that never actually happened. When you start criticising moments from a performance that is entirely a creation of your own mind it's probably a good sign to take a deep breath and walk away from the thread.

The other classic trope of these "all in" lunatics is that they are always the most prolific poster in that player's thread. I intuitively knew you'd be right up there at numero uno before I'd actually checked and sure enough...

stw2022
    Full Member · 41
    • Messages 3,606
    • Reaction score 10
    • Points 0
    Cassidy
    No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser · 38
    • Messages 30,164
    • Reaction score 12
    • Points 0
    Frank White
    Full Member · 33
    • Messages 1,568
    • Reaction score 10
    • Points 0
    Drizzle
    Full Member · 43
    • Messages 1,083
    • Reaction score 10
    • Points 0
    TMDaines
    Full Member · 33
    • Messages 13,304
    • Reaction score 13
    • Points 0
The other thing I’ve noticed about that poster is the propensity to constantly refer to Rashford’s charity work with some kind of negative connotations. It’s unpleasant.

stw2022

Clearly the issue isn't that he plays with the work rate of a forty-a-day, multi-time Ballon d'Or winner who's just turned 36, it's the fact people have an agenda!

In seven years this lad has had two periods where he's looked close to good enough and I think there's a lot of top red repressed emotions involved in refusing to accept that.

Pughnichi

Ahhhh…remember the Rashford that burst on to the scene and was chasing everything down.

at the time it wasn’t a team effort and he was applauded.

If he could revert back to that in a system that now actually wants to press there would be no problem with him

stw2022

Ahhhh…remember the Rashford that burst on to the scene and was chasing everything down.

at the time it wasn’t a team effort and he was applauded.

If he could revert back to that in a system that now actually wants to press there would be no problem with him
I think he neglected areas of his game in order to become more prolific. When he gets the ball now he is likely to put his head down to attempt to drive towards the goal, regardless as to how counter effectual that is for the team. Because that's the player he wanted to become. The Ronaldo. The superstar.

And look there's nothing wrong with that but when you're prolific only in patches as he is, it means there's an awful lot of chances in an awful lot of games that he frankly wastes. And he isn't a young 18-22 year old player whereby we accept that as the price we pay for developing the player.

The defence now seems to be the word "dangerous". Yes he's lazy and wasteful but he fact he creates these chances for himself proves how dangerous he is. I don't buy it. It doesn't take massive skill to ignore team mates and decide regardless of options the best one for the club is to under no circumstances have anyone else score if you can help it.

marc1_007

i remember in the good old days of SAF when we would score goals after moves of about 30 passes or more, I dream of those days again because now, all we ever score are great individual goals and we don't score simple taps ins anymore because we are terrible at moving the ball, you watch teams like Liverpool, City, Brighton, Arsenal, and even Newcastle and you see how they score a lot of goals from free flowing moves but when it comes to Utd, there can't be any free flowing moves because as soon as the ball gets to Bruno and Particularly Rashford, the move dies because Bruno has to try that killer pass all the time or Rashford has to always try and take his man on to get the shot in.

How is it possible to ever dream of winning a premier league title with players like these on your team, they waste so many opportunities, they break a lot of moves down and the move almost always stops when the ball reaches them and with them both on the team how are we ever going to reach our full potential.

With Bruno, at least he works tremendously hard to win the ball back when we are not in possession but Rashford loses the ball more frequently than any player I have ever seen play for us, in over two decades, and I don't mean misplaced passes, he's always trying to dribble and he loses it the majority of the time, and when he loses it he just stops and its so frustrating.

I will just like it if ETH can keep him on the bench for just five games and lets see how we perform without him because last season, if I'm not mistaken, I believe we averaged the same number of goals without him as when he was in the team, and if we're not any better without him, then ETH will have his work cut out for him because if/when the new owners come in, I doubt they will have any loyalty towards ETH especially if Rashford is the player he wants to tie his future to with Utd, then he will not be in the job much longer after the takeover

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

i remember in the good old days of SAF when we would score goals after moves of about 30 passes or more, I dream of those days again because now, all we ever score are great individual goals and we don't score simple taps ins anymore because we are terrible at moving the ball, you watch teams like Liverpool, City, Brighton, Arsenal, and even Newcastle and you see how they score a lot of goals from free flowing moves but when it comes to Utd, there can't be any free flowing moves because as soon as the ball gets to Bruno and Particularly Rashford, the move dies because Bruno has to try that killer pass all the time or Rashford has to always try and take his man on to get the shot in.

How is it possible to ever dream of winning a premier league title with players like these on your team, they waste so many opportunities, they break a lot of moves down and the move almost always stops when the ball reaches them and with them both on the team how are we ever going to reach our full potential.

With Bruno, at least he works tremendously hard to win the ball back when we are not in possession but Rashford loses the ball more frequently than any player I have ever seen play for us, in over two decades, and I don't mean misplaced passes, he's always trying to dribble and he loses it the majority of the time, and when he loses it he just stops and its so frustrating.
We literally scored a team goal the other night
I wouldn't say this was solely down to Rashford and Bruno not being on the pitch, as we've seen similar patterns during Ten Hag's tenure.

philippexyz

Rashford needs to be "forced"(through coaching, of course) to press and track back. If he refuses because he thinks he's Mbappe(that would be delusional), bench him and eventually try to sell him and replace him(Garnacho???). Prima-donna behaviour must not be tolerated anymore at this club.

Bruno will also need to be replaced for a player that is actually able to keep the ball at his feet for some time and resist the press and actually carry it sometimes if that is needed, while also being creative, which is not easy, but certainly possible(players like KDB, Maddison, Odegaard, Wirtz, Musiala...).

If we solve these two "problems"(there are more, of course) we will be significantly closer to become an elite side which is capable of knocking out and causing trouble to anyone.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Clearly the issue isn't that he plays with the work rate of a forty-a-day, multi-time Ballon d'Or winner who's just turned 36, it's the fact people have an agenda!

In seven years this lad has had two periods where he's looked close to good enough and I think there's a lot of top red repressed emotions involved in refusing to accept that.
Obviously we have an agenda. We are trying to find a new player to moan about after Fred was sold last summer.

Or something like that