4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I still have hopes that he will be dropped as he has started to come off the last 2 games where we are still chasing the game, and I can’t recall the last time it happened.
Why would you want him dropped? He’s making so much of what Højlund is capitalising on.

Garncho’s a talent, but he’s far more selfish and direct currently than even Rashford is. Another 25 mins or so for Garnacho tonight and still only one single chance created for a teammate all season. Højlund will get less service without Rashford playing.

The Hilton

He isn't thick or lacking football intelligence, he's a confidence player and because he's low on confidence he's hesitant and indecisive.

Should be given a few appearances from the subs bench, hopefully if he can get a goal against some tired defenders it can build his confidence back up.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I honestly think he should have taken a touch inwards top open up the angle, he just stupidly kept running in the same angle and then messes up the pass.

I know his right footed but still, he should be cutting across the defenders line and going to the middle of the goal in that moment.
There are reasons for not doing it:

He's got a broken back though
Also, don't forget, confidence is down cause his fiancee left him and he can't be arsed to switch on for our games
Ah and my favorite from tonight, Bruno's availability made him lose focus

TempusFugit

His decision making is..... wow. It's like he chooses wrongly everytime, what top player doesn't score there? Why pass to Bruno? Did he let too much of the criticism get to him? Marcus has everything to be the best except a footballing brain. He's shocking sometimes. If he scores there we're celebrating a well deserved win tonight. A genuinely unforgivable decision within the context of the game.

-Supreme-

Why would you want him dropped? He’s making so much of what Højlund is capitalising on.

Garncho’s a talent, but he’s far more selfish and direct currently than even Rashford is. Another 25 mins or so for Garnacho tonight and still only one single chance created for a teammate all season. Højlund will get less service without Rashford playing.
Reason is very obvious, and already mentioned numerous times in this thread. With the emergence of Garnacho, they should at least be rotating and fight it out between them and that is how a squad should be used.

Jericho

He isn't thick or lacking football intelligence, he's a confidence player and because he's low on confidence he's hesitant and indecisive.

Should be given a few appearances from the subs bench, hopefully if he can get a goal against some tired defenders it can build his confidence back up.
Why is he low on confidence after his best season (statistically at least)?

He's always been more miss than hit. He's had some good runs of form over the years, but he's never been someone you can rely on. Even last season I'd argue his goals masked some very average performances. I think he lacks football intelligence, but another way of putting it might be that he's still very immature/underdeveloped as a player (probably down to the lack of real leaders he's had in the team to guide/correct him and the ever changing managers and styles). He should know to keep it simple when things aren't coming off for him but he doesn't do that. He still seems as raw now as when he first came into the squad. When he was younger he was losing the ball he needed a Roy Keane shouting at him "Don't you fecking lose that ball you cnut! Keep it fecking simple!".

jem

He wasn't great today but I much preferred this version of Rashford, looking to play his teammates in. I still don't think he's good enough, but moments today indicated an incremental move in the right direction.

The Hilton

Why is he low on confidence after his best season (statistically at least)?

He's always been more miss than hit. He's had some good runs of form over the years, but he's never been someone you can rely on. Even last season I'd argue his goals masked some very average performances. I think he lacks football intelligence, but another way of putting it might be that he's still very immature/underdeveloped as a player (probably down to the lack of real leaders he's had in the team to guide/correct him and the ever changing managers and styles). He should know to keep it simple when things aren't coming off for him but he doesn't do that. He still seems as raw now as when he first came into the squad. When he was younger he was losing the ball he needed a Roy Keane shouting at him "Don't you fecking lose that ball you cnut! Keep it fecking simple!".
He started last season low on confidence too, it took a couple of goals at home to Arsenal to kickstart his season.

He's no Modric in terms on intelligence, but for a wide forward I think he's demonstrated that when he's riding high his decision making can be very good, but when the pressure mounts and things go wrong he second guesses himself too much and basically gets in his own way.

AndyMUFC

He's playing because of who he is rather than how he's playing and we need to get out of that habit, especially when Garnacho is waiting in the wings. Take him out of the limelight for a bit FFS.

AFC NimbleThumb

The point is the capitulation probably doesn't happen if he makes it 3-1 with the assist...

This is like idiots saying our penalty claim at Spurs wouldn't have changed the game because we eventually lost 2-0, noting that the claim was at 0-0 and would've 100% changed the game for both teams.

By your logic, he makes the goal, we get another and its 3-1 and that's game over, shifting blame on someone else isn't going to work.
No, by your reductive logic any misspass from today’s game could be used in the same way you’re trying to place the blame at this player in this thread.

At 3-1, with this United team it certainly isn’t ‘game over’ & you might need to correct me but the poor pass comes at 1-1 not 2-1 so it’s a little ludicrous to assume a 3-1 lead instead of a capitulation at 2-1 as we saw anyway.

Who said the penalty at Spurs wouldn’t have changed the game? Talk apples to apples.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would be a good player if he does everything opposite to what he is doing right now.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Whats so funny, Rashford was clear on goal he cast doubt in what was the correct decision to make. The defender made the angle hard for the pass but once that thought is there the temptation to square the ball takes over.
I didn't think that i would have to explain myself but if you insist...

You really think that someone should not present themselves for a support option? Like can Rashford never miss a 1v1? What kind of football do you even watch?

ayushreddevil9

You’ve never played football thats clear as day.
100%. One of the worst takes i have ever seen. Like 'trust' Rashford instead of making yourself available for a tap-in. Imagine if Benzema trusted himself Ronaldo would have had half the goals he scored in his career

Jericho

Whats so funny, Rashford was clear on goal he cast doubt in what was the correct decision to make. The defender made the angle hard for the pass but once that thought is there the temptation to square the ball takes over.
Ridiculous post.I hope you're on the windup.

ayushreddevil9

There are reasons for not doing it:

He's got a broken back though
Also, don't forget, confidence is down cause his fiancee left him and he can't be arsed to switch on for our games
Ah and my favorite from tonight, Bruno's availability made him lose focus
Yeah I'm lost for words with this one.

AshRK

He is a confidence player and you cannot win major trophies with players like him being the key guys in your side.

RuudTom83

Strangely I liked a lot of the things he did tonight. Attacking wise there was a lot to be liked from Rashford and Hojlund.

It was the shit show at the other end that disappointed me more.

Interesting that both of his big chances (assist cross for Hojlund + 1 on 1 with the GK) came from the right side.

AneRu

I think he will be fine, at least he has taken on board the criticism and started passing but when you are out of sorts and have no help the focus on you and your performances, which alter results either way, can be toxic. What other club in world football would fall off a cliff because its LW is off form?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The pass wasn't even difficult. There was a tonne of space to place it for Bruno to run on to or slide in.

Thom Merrilin

The pass wasn't even difficult. There was a tonne of space to place it for Bruno to run on to or slide in.
At the time I felt the same way. After some reflection though, he's sprinting at top speed over halfway into the game so he must be starting to tire, while eyeing up the keeper to see if he can have a shot. I think a player of his stature should be able to make that pass, however, it's not as simple as you make it out to be. I know I'd mess it up for sure.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
At the time I felt the same way. After some reflection though, he's sprinting at top speed over halfway into the game so he must be starting to tire, while eyeing up the keeper to see if he can have a shot. I think a player of his stature should be able to make that pass, however, it's not as simple as you make it out to be. I know I'd mess it up for sure.
I think it's something a player of his supposed calibre should be able to make 9 times out of 10, and I think a lot lesser players would've managed it.

Whether he should've had a shot himself though is another question.

lsd

The Oracle
Erik went on about players not making the decision to pass after palace.

We knew who he meant and tonight we saw the result.

Worked well for the first goal and he had clearly got it in his head to pass and ended up passing when he shouldn't have.

Basically Erik has screwed with his head Rashford just doesn't have the awareness to know when to pass and when not too

I'm not sure that can be solved in all honesty

Thom Merrilin

I think it's something a player of his supposed calibre should be able to make 9 times out of 10, and I think a lot lesser players would've managed it.

Whether he should've had a shot himself though is another question.
Rashford of last season definitely takes that shot on. I think it's a combination of him being off form and him not being great technically.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Rashford’s confidence is on the floor because Ten Hag has set him up for failure by forcing him to be the supporting act for Hojlund.

It has always been clear that Rashford is at his best as an LW with a centre-forward that drops deep and creates space for him to run in behind and finish. It is why his best seasons have been with Martial as the 9 (2019/20), followed by Martial and Cavani rotating as 9s (2020/21), and then Martial or Weghorst as 9s (2022/23). It is also no surprise that the introduction of Ronaldo spectacularly destroyed his form, as Ronaldo ended up occupying the spaces that Rashford does and did not drag defenders out of position for Rashford to exploit.

There is no shame in this for Rashford. Even Cristiano was at his devestating best when he had Rooney / Tevez / Benzema playing the supporting act. Mane and Salah were at their devestating best when Firmino was playing the supporting act.

This season Rashford has had to adapt to Hojlund’s instincts, which are to play on the shoulder of the last defender. This means that the space for Rashford is in front of the opposition’s defence rather than behind it. By extension, this forces Rashford to drop deeper, to recieve the ball to feet, to play between the lines where he must be creative or to cross from wide. This is simply not Rashford’s natural game. As a result, Ten Hag is exposing his weaknesses while not facilitating the maximum exploitation of his strengths.

No wonder Rashford’s confidence is on the floor. His instict is to run in behind and be a shoot on sight type of player. The introduction of Hojlund is forcing him to be more creative and to attempt through balls and crosses. Yet there are various times where Rashford does not spot Hojlund’s run and loses the ball. With all of these mistakes piling up, you can see how the accumulative effect culminates in Rashford being afraid to make mistakes and not shooting, often because he is now tasked with being the creator rather than the finisher.

Ultimately, this is down to Ten Hag. No doubt about it, Hojlund is a good player, but his profile and Rashford’s profile do not compliment each-other at all. The only way we can get Rashford and Hojlund firing is Martial (or Sancho) slot in as a false 9 and Hojlund is pushed to the right. In this manner, the creative burden will be lifted off of Rashford and he can exclusively focus on making the most of his strengths (to play on the shoulder of the last defender and to shoot on sight).

But Ten Hag is likely too stubborn for any of this. Rashford’s form will likely continue to dwindle and he will be scapegoated for a manager that is misusing him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
As I said before, he was miles clear on goal. I don't think he needed the option in that situation. The option was the reason he chose to pass when a shot was clearly the best option.

That said he gets the pass spot on and I'm not even having the discussion.

Whether it was the correct thing to do or not it was that run that put him in two minds when taking the shot in the area was always going to be the better option.
Yeah no. If Rashford is put off by a run that's basic football fundamentals then that's on him, not Bruno.

fallengt

Chickened out every 50/50 air challenges. That's our starboy
Zaha went for a non goal and got rewarded for it. I guess that's too much to ask for Rashford

Slevs

No, by your reductive logic any misspass from today’s game could be used in the same way you’re trying to place the blame at this player in this thread.

At 3-1, with this United team it certainly isn’t ‘game over’ & you might need to correct me but the poor pass comes at 1-1 not 2-1 so it’s a little ludicrous to assume a 3-1 lead instead of a capitulation at 2-1 as we saw anyway.

Who said the penalty at Spurs wouldn’t have changed the game? Talk apples to apples.
So by your "logic", Hojlund can miss as many chances as he wants, as long as we're winning 1-0 when he comes off, it's not his fault if the other team makes a comeback at the end?
Or, using that same logic, its okay for Rashford to miss all his chances during the game, as long as he nets the winner in the 95th minute and we win.

Ridiculous. You bury the goddamn easy chances you get, especially for a "world class" forward on 350k a week, and you finish the game earlier by putting your team at an advantage earlier.

As an example, a goal in the 1st minute is vastly different than a goal at minute 35.
For you maybe its still simply reading 1-0 at the top left and "we're winning", but for the players its an entirely different ball game in terms of morale, momentum, self-belief, being on the front-foot.

Last edited:

Slevs

Yeah I'm lost for words with this one.
Its genuinely unbelievable. The length these guys will go to defend Sir Marcus Rashford. I'm kind of convinced they're part of his online PR team and actually get paid to post this crap.

stw2022

Its genuinely unbelievable. The length these guys will go to defend Sir Marcus Rashford. I'm kind of convinced they're part of his online PR team and actually get paid to post this crap.
Someone needs to collate all the excuses made for Rashford's performances over the last three years. Some of them are absolute beauties. All offered, I suspect, because so much was invested in him emotionally as an emerging player that some will never accept the fact he's been a massive disappointment.

henrysquire

He just doesn't look interested anymore. I think he's lost the passion for the game.

Slevs

Someone needs to collate all the excuses made for Rashford's performances over the last three years. Some of them are absolute beauties. All offered, I suspect, because so much was invested in him emotionally as an emerging player that some will never accept the fact he's been a massive disappointment.
From the ones I remember, I'm fairly sure there are a few more ridiculous ones I'm forgetting.

- Mourinho broke him mentally when he had him fight with Martial for the left wing spot (because competition for places is apparently bad:rolleyes:)
- Mourinho stifled his growth by playing him on the wings instead of striker (surprise surprise, few seasons down the line he keeps moaning that he wants to play left wing instead of anywhere else. Wait I forgot, he's clever not to do the moaning personally because it could tarnish this image he's building, instead he has his PR team plant the stories). feck Mou at United btw, before anyone thinks he was faultless.
- His fiancee left him
- He was depressed
- He was carrying a bad back injury for 1.5 seasons and its Ole's fault for not resting him. He valiantly sacrificed his back for the team so this buys him endless credit
- He was depressed x2 after Euros, couldn't get out of bed
- Team harmony wasn't good when Lingard and co were being toxic, this affected him to the point where he couldn't pass/shoot for shit
- His finacee left him a second time
- He prefers playing on left (proceeds to play shit most of the time on the left)
- He was angry he had to play on the right/middle and couldn't perform
- The team is terrible at getting the ball to him (in reality he loses the ball most of the time on the wing, the team" is set by default mode to pass to Rashford first thing)
- My favorite from a few weeks back, "maybe Hojlund isn't doing enough to get a pass from Rashford
- My favorite one from last night, "Bruno made him lose his concentration by being an extra option in a 1 v 1 to the point Rashford passes to the Gala defender coming from BEHIND him"

We used to do the same excuses for Pogba (can't play unless he has 10 WC players and he has to be left side of a midfield three with a free role and 2 runners around him collecting balls bla bla bla).
Amazing, players on other teams seem to have no difficulty being consistent for several games (with the odd mishap every other game) but our guys always have the excuses ready as to why they're consistently bad week in week out.

I get it, he's the poster boy and a lot of people have invested a lot of time over the years defending this guy because he's a club academy prospect and scores goals (cause he plays up front so sentiment is more in favor of backing him in the false hopes that he comes good).
However, we're starting to resemble 2000s Liverpool who used to rely mainly on 1 guy and base our team around him, pray he plays good on the day so that the entire team would play good (Gerrard). I can see the parallels (other than different positioning). If Rashford (Gerrard) plays good, Man Utd (Liverpool) play good. Trouble is, as inconsistent (hilarious for us) as Gerrard was at times, Rashford is so much worse at performing at a consistent level.

stw2022

Found this article via Google on the bbc.com page from last night about his wayward finishing

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c72qdl8z2ppo.amp

Yet on the UK version of the BBC Sport website it doesn't appear to be anywhere. Is the UK media repressing criticism? Over the last few weeks his performances have been largely conspicuously absent from mainstream criticism directed at the team. It's only really once you get onto social media where there's been any real critical response to him.

BarstoolProphet

You can easily see that he's really trying to forge a relationship with Rasmus on the pitch, which is nice to see. His biggest issue is that he is shockingly bad at short, intricate passing. He had a nice assist and also nearly got an assist against CP from a first-time punt, but when it comes passes along the ground he is genuinely dreadful. Which is so weird, since he is a very talented player in general.

stw2022

You can easily see that he's really trying to forge a relationship with Rasmus on the pitch, which is nice to see. His biggest issue is that he is shockingly bad at short, intricate passing. He had a nice assist and also nearly got an assist against CP from a first-time punt, but when it comes passes along the ground he is genuinely dreadful. Which is so weird, since he is a very talented player in general.
How is he very talented? He's done nothing. He's probably had collectively six good months in 8 seasons. The rest is "oh he was injured or thinking about past injuries, or depressed about global affairs or distracted by a relationship break up or had his confidence knocked by a manager's comments, or is played out of position, or is struggling to come to terms with the departure of a close friend from the team, or got distracted by the presence of another team mate, the criticism has knocked his confidence, he hasn't had a proper preseason or his horoscope that morning undermind him. - and these are the reasons he can't press, run, jump, pass and constantly runs into dead ends and is simultaneously unable to make the correct decision if he has to think and also had dogshit instincts.

But other than that, yeah he's supremely talented in many, many ways.

Honestly at some point this whole "He's actually a very talented player" thing has to surely be outted as a conspiracy. He's not very good at all and that fact has been hiding in pain sight for years.

stw2022

By the way I want to stick £5 on someone saying "It's just taking his eyes longer to adjust to the change of the colour of the ball. He's still a top player" or words to that affect over the next two or three weeks now we're in yellow ball season