View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

mav_9me

1 v1 against a fullback, he stands still.
1 v 3 against him, he runs head first into them and loses possession.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe someone here sees something I don’t
Has to be a confidence issue. Makes no sense the way he stands with the ball.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It'll be interesting if Garnacho continues his trajectory and becomes the most influential attacker, because I think Rashford will do better when he's not the main man. He wasn't awful last night, in the first half in particular. If, for the first time in about a two decades, we can have a real threat on the right it should enable Rashford to flourish.

MiracleInMadrid

My biggest problem is that we waste so much playing time on him. His minutes could have been used on someone who contributes far more to the team than him.

A hardworking and naturally schooled left wing with a great eye for his teammates would do wonder in this team. Let Marcus be second choice and see how he reacts to that. If that doesn't work, then sell him within the next year.
I wonder how many more goals and chances we would create with someone like Bernardo Silva in the team.

It obviously isn't that simple, but none the less it's a big problem that we have so few alternatives in the attacking positions. A striker and a left winger must be a priority as well as fixing the midfield.

Hughes35

He's just not a good player. Never has been and never will be.

A 6 month purple patch doesn't change that. Look at players like Michu.

We need to sell him while some people still think he's a good player and it's the club holding him back. At some point they will realise he's just not very good.

Rossa

On the one hand, we have Garnacho who is bursting with energy and intensity - always tries to do something with the ball - sprints into positions, drags defenders out of positions creating space either for his fullback or for midfielders. When he runs at defenders he does so with intensity and determination.

Rashford is the complete opposite. Does he even enjoy football anymore?

Dorris

His confidence looks back to normal and he was better than Garnacho today (both played well though). 6 key passes plus several chances he created for himself. Generally made the right choices throughout, until he tried a few things which were a bit more high risk in the last 20 minutes.

I gave him 8/10 but I was probably a bit harsh based on the last few minutes. Had him and Mainoo as the standouts with 9s up until then (Garnacho, Bruno, Evans and Dalot also with strong 8s today I thought).

It’s only Wigan but pleasing to see a tricky away cup match negotiated smoothly.
This is genuine insanity, particularly the better than Garnacho part.

Josep Dowling

Has the same body language Pogba did when he was coming to the end of his United career. Every time he got the ball he just stood still, and passed it backwards. He's definitely low on confidence but it comes across as arrogance the way he plays. When a player is not in form the very least you hope for is effort but Rashford does the opposite. That's why he will never be a world class player. I would much rather have a player like Bowen, putting a shift in every game. We need to stop giving players excessive contracts just because they played well for 6 months, new contracts should be based on form over 3/4 years prior.

Hammondo

Has the same body language Pogba did when he was coming to the end of his United career. Every time he got the ball he just stood still, and passed it backwards. He's definitely low on confidence but it comes across as arrogance the way he plays. When a player is not in form the very least you hope for is effort but Rashford does the opposite. That's why he will never be a world class player. I would much rather have a player like Bowen, putting a shift in every game. We need to stop giving players excessive contracts just because they played well for 6 months, new contracts should be based on form over 3/4 years prior.
I never understand this "low on confidence" excuse, look at what he attempts, he looks arrogant trying to be a hero. He's just not got the talent.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
When SAF came in Manchester United he fount a lousy environment filled with drunk and complacent people. His solution was to go full sledgehammer mode and destroy everything from the first team to the academy only to build everything from scratch. He only relented when he came face to face with Bryan Robson. The guy was pure gold dust and too good to get rid off. Thus SAF had allegedly said to him that he'll give him 1 final chance. Its rumored that Robson seized his chance, he didn't drink throughout the rest of his United career only to return to his old merry ways day 1 after he left.

United need that approach. We need to shake the system to the core and get rid even of players that are useful for us but whose attitude isn't there. If we're extreme and brutally effective than the scare factor would be so big that we might give a final chance to 1 or 2 people to get their shit sorted and redeem themselves. Should Rashford be that 1 pass? I don't know. As a homegrown talent we're better off if its the case.

DomM

Rashford was atrocious in the second half, looked like he didnt have a clue what to do with the ball, has he even been coached how to play football? Apart from running into space he offers nothing to the team, I would sell him and get a proper winger in..

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
It'll be interesting if Garnacho continues his trajectory and becomes the most influential attacker, because I think Rashford will do better when he's not the main man. He wasn't awful last night, in the first half in particular. If, for the first time in about a two decades, we can have a real threat on the right it should enable Rashford to flourish.
Yeah once Rashford is playing on the left, isn't depressed, has a girlfriend, is injury free, in a team that plays on the counter attack, isn't the main man, and now finally the final piece in the puzzle, needs the right winger to be playing well. We'll see the real Rashford flourish then

ShinjiNinja26

Shite again last night. Not releasing the ball anywhere near quick enough and was constantly either running into a load of bodies or just simply running it straight out of play.

arthurka

On the one hand, we have Garnacho who is bursting with energy and intensity - always tries to do something with the ball - sprints into positions, drags defenders out of positions creating space either for his fullback or for midfielders. When he runs at defenders he does so with intensity and determination.

Rashford is the complete opposite. Does he even enjoy football anymore?
That's what I was wondering as well. He just looks not interested and absolutely not having a good time.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
When SAF came in Manchester United he fount a lousy environment filled with drunk and complacent people. His solution was to go full sledgehammer mode and destroy everything from the first team to the academy only to build everything from scratch. He only relented when he came face to face with Bryan Robson. The guy was pure gold dust and too good to get rid off. Thus SAF had allegedly said to him that he'll give him 1 final chance. Its rumored that Robson seized his chance, he didn't drink throughout the rest of his United career only to return to his old merry ways day 1 after he left.

United need that approach. We need to shake the system to the core and get rid even of players that are useful for us but whose attitude isn't there. If we're extreme and brutally effective than the scare factor would be so big that we might give a final chance to 1 or 2 people to get their shit sorted and redeem themselves. Should Rashford be that 1 pass? I don't know. As a homegrown talent we're better off if its the case.
I think Ferguson massively overestimated that United’s players had some huge drink problem AND that United were different to other clubs (ie it was of it’s time).

Robson, Whiteside and McGrath get the headlines for a variety of reasons .. but maybe Ferguson was wrong on some/could have man managed it better too - they had issues to deal with as well. McGrath is one of my favourite players (temperament and ability) and showed at Villa what he could still do… we lost an excellent player, Villa got a star who won POTY.

Not saying the culture didn’t need changing (clubs always need to change and evolve and improve), just think Ferguson has helped it become some monster of an issue. It wouldn’t be allowed in modern sport obviously but neither would giving up on players who needed help.

Rashford : if we can get £50m, sell.

Matt Varnish

I think Ferguson massively overestimated that United’s players had some huge drink problem AND that United were different to other clubs (ie it was of it’s time).

Robson, Whiteside and McGrath get the headlines for a variety of reasons .. but maybe Ferguson was wrong on some/could have man managed it better too - they had issues to deal with as well. McGrath is one of my favourite players (temperament and ability) and showed at Villa what he could still do… we lost an excellent player, Villa got a star who won POTY.

Not saying the culture didn’t need changing (clubs always need to change and evolve and improve), just think Ferguson has helped it become some monster of an issue. It wouldn’t be allowed in modern sport obviously but neither would giving up on players who needed help.

Ferguson always said he was wrong to sell Mcgrath and should have had more patience with him, the deciding factor for Ferguson was Mcgraths fitness, saying "Imagine what he'd be like with two good knees"
In defence of Ferguson I also remember a Peter Schmiechel quote, when he quit United but carried on playing at a high level and came back to play for Villa and City, he said there is being fit, and there is being Manchester United fit, the demands for fitness are much higher at United than at any other club, that was part of Fergusons regime, a lot of players couldn't handle it.

Ludens the Red

He took and received the ball and had loads of touches but honestly that was an absolutely pathetic performance. The decision making and end product was genuinely the level of an 18 year old football league player. Keane mentioned the stopping on the ball thing. He must have done it about 50 times instead of playing a pass or getting a shot underway. Along with Antony I really hope the club gets rid of him in the summer. We don’t need him for “academy points” anymore. Garnacho and Mainoo are already ahead of him on a technical level.

Abhinav

I don’t think he is the player with that 1 pass. In fact, he is the player that needs to be made an example of and draw the line. His attitude is rubbish and the early fame, money, and being the local lad & a ‘national hero’ has gone to his head.
His game has completely stagnated, even during the last year, and his work ethic on the field is appalling.
We need to stop indulging him and send a message to other youngsters coming through that they need to keep on working hard or else they will also be shown the door.
Our local players during Fergie’s time were the most hardworking ones who set the tone and culture. Now, we have JLingz, Greenwood & Rashford - players who are rewarded far too soon so that the club’s PR can spin it and make some $$.

Archi

I know we haven't had a threat on the right for a while but two decades is massively overstating it. Ronaldo played on the right until 2007 at least so about 16 years. But Nani was more of a threat from around 2009 up until 2012 than I reckon Garnacho is likely to become, and Valencia was also a threat from about 2009-2012 especially the 11-12 season so more like a decade

devilish

I don’t think he is the player with that 1 pass. In fact, he is the player that needs to be made an example of and draw the line. His attitude is rubbish and the early fame, money, and being the local lad & a ‘national hero’ has gone to his head.
His game has completely stagnated, even during the last year, and his work ethic on the field is appalling.
We need to stop indulging him and send a message to other youngsters coming through that they need to keep on working hard or else they will also be shown the door.
Our local players during Fergie’s time were the most hardworking ones who set the tone and culture. Now, we have JLingz, Greenwood & Rashford - players who are rewarded far too soon so that the club’s PR can spin it and make some $$.
Maybe you're right but there again he's probably the one who'll get a free pass. He's a local lad and homegrown, he's got talent, he's in his prime + he signed a long term contract on silly money

devilish

I remember an ancient interview were Italian players passed by the Irish national team under Jack Charlton. They were horrified seeing them eating pub food and drinking pints of beer mere days before the game which further enforced the mentality that British + Irish players were amateurs and unprofessional. SAF was a modern manager who dragged United and the EPL into modernity. British + Irish football owe him a great deal.

Wilt

Enough’s enough, only averaging around 9 prem goals per season.

Problem being who would want him on £350k a week?

Rossa

That's what I was wondering as well. He just looks not interested and absolutely not having a good time.
You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't enjoy what you're doing, then you'll never be good at it. Looking at his complete lack of intensity, the way he communicates with his teammates, the way he shies away from physical duels, all looks like, IMHO, that he isn't fully invested in the game. At least that's the way I see it at the moment. He used to have a smile about him and some enthusiasm. He seems devoid of both.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I can't understand his game, he had every chances to pass it and he keep dragging to the touch line. He is always looking at beating the right back but far often losing the ball. Why can't he be an old fashion winger? Run at the defender and cross whenever there is an opportunity. I can't understand why he is paid so much and having played so many years of XI, playing like shit weekly. How it that even possible? I think he needs to see a psychiatric immediately.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I remember an ancient interview were Italian players passed by the Irish national team under Jack Charlton. They were horrified seeing them eating pub food and drinking pints of beer mere days before the game which further enforced the mentality that British + Irish players were amateurs and unprofessional. SAF was a modern manager who dragged United and the EPL into modernity. British + Irish football owe him a great deal.
SAF was an old school manager, in no way could you describe as a modern one, and he didn't drag the PL into what you term modernity, if anyone did that it was Arsene Wenger

pacifictheme

SAF was an old school manager, in no way could you describe as a modern one, and he didn't drag the PL into what you term modernity, if anyone did that it was Arsene Wenger
I think you are being overly harsh here, Ferguson arrived in English football a decade earlier than Wenger and our club had a huge drinking problem at the time, which he pretty much eradicated by selling the main offenders.

He basically kept Robson because he was so ridiculously good and got rid of his drinking mates.

pacifictheme

Enough’s enough, only averaging around 9 prem goals per season.

Problem being who would want him on £350k a week?
I don't think nine prem goals a season on average is that bad for a winger. Ignoring all the other issues I reckon that's what a lot of wingers get, including city, arsenal and liverpool's (not Salah obviously). (Edit: I just looked at foden, grealish and Diaz and they are all less, and none hit the heights he does in terms of goals).

His goal scoring gets such scrutiny because he is often the most likely to score, look at what he did last season and imagine if we had a functioning striker scoring as well, rather than next to nothing coming from the other two attacking positions.

The big concern for me is that he never looks happy or engaged and regularly looks like he is putting in very little effort. He's a boyhood fan, this should be his dream and he rarely seems arsed.

gaffs

I stuggle to understand how Rasford gets away with playing as he does. Slowing down the play, not playing the easy pass, not crossing, running with his head down into defenders.

He is pretty poor in tight spaces or against the low block. He is best when he has room to run into when we play on the counter. That is why he would never get into a possession based team, like City or Arsenal.

Why is he not being coached to play it simple and quickly? Try and find Hojland. Same goes for Antony.

GreatDane

I stuggle to understand how Rasford gets away with playing as he does. Slowing down the play, not playing the easy pass, not crossing, running with his head down into defenders.

He is pretty poor in tight spaces or against the low block. He is best when he has room to run into when we play on the counter. That is why he would never get into a possession based team, like City or Arsenal.

Why is he not being coached to play it simple and quickly? Try and find Hojland. Same goes for Antony.
He believes his own hype and wants the glory for himself.
He's a very selfish player and we will be a much better team when he leaves.

Lee565

Has to be a confidence issue. Makes no sense the way he stands with the ball.

He isn't allowed such an excuse and must be heavily criticised despite saving eth as last season, that is only allowed for the unproven hojlund

devilish

Back in the 80s he was quite a modern one. He attacked the drinking culture, he was open to technology and unlike many managers of his (and the next) generation he was humble enough to bring people in who brought new ideas in

clarkydaz

Yeah once Rashford is playing on the left, isn't depressed, has a girlfriend, is injury free, in a team that plays on the counter attack, isn't the main man, and now finally the final piece in the puzzle, needs the right winger to be playing well. We'll see the real Rashford flourish then
Dont forget Luke Shaw. The latest one is needing Luke Shaw to overlap and make space form him. He really is the new Pogba

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think you are being overly harsh here, Ferguson arrived in English football a decade earlier than Wenger and our club had a huge drinking problem at the time, which he pretty much eradicated by selling the main offenders.

He basically kept Robson because he was so ridiculously good and got rid of his drinking mates.
Robbo used to go out drinking with Peter Reid instead, I'm not sure he ever stopped but then he was that good and dare I say better than good

But the point was made about dragging the PL - this drinking thing was well before the PL era