Marcus Rashford new contract thread | It's officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus 7

This wage jump will comeback later down line with other players. Money is ridiculous now, Europe needs wage cap to control this. Be better long term for all leagues.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sounds about the going rate for someone who has just had the season he has.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
For all those saying it’s too much, what’s the alternative? Let him leave on a free transfer and replace him with who exactly?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The new regime, same as the old regime.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If only we’d signed him up last summer, we could’ve had him on half that

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Local lad, English, PR machine . Our poster boy for next 6-8 years. I genuinely don't know why some of you are surprised.

davidmichael

Didn’t Rashford himself come out and say on his Twitter account that he’s not asked for anywhere near that amount ? I’d imagine it’ll be heavily incentivised and a basic of £300K a week.

Either way though he finally seems to have settled into a mature player who scores, creates and causes panic in the opposition so if we can take away the burden ot being our only source of goals I think he’ll thrive and at least break 20 goals again next season, he’s worth £100 million in todays game and now has Garnacho creating competition for a starting place.

TsuWave

I love Rashford, I do. But that salary’s insane. I’d expect that’s the kind of salary reserved for bonafide world class players - and despite being good, and having had a really good season - Rashford is not a player I’d describe as world class

He hasn’t hit those heights nor has he shown the consistency needed - even this season just gone in which he had great output, he still often disappears from games.

But if the club is happy to pay that, I guess.

The White Pele

Local lad, English, PR machine . Our poster boy for next 6-8 years. I genuinely don't know why some of you are surprised.

Exactly. I think we will get better value from this contract than those that we gave to Ronaldo, Sanchez, De Gea and Sancho.

For those that say it’s too much: if we want him to sign an extension, how could you possibly justify to Rashford that he will be on less than Sancho? On that basis we’re lucky he’s not pushed for more.

Hopefully he maintains the level he set this season so that his salary can be the ceiling. If the benchmark is local lad, academy graduate, 7 years+ of service in the first team, face of the club and our current biggest attacking threat then you’re setting the bar sufficiently high to manage other’s expectations. It’s when you hand out these big contracts to players who haven’t even kicked a ball for the club yet and aren’t guaranteed successes that you give yourself a problem with the wage structure of the whole squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great to extend him ultimately. The amount seems huge though. We love to go over the top with contract offers. At the same time though, him being the face of the club (we should be very thankful that a guy like him is the face of the club), him being a big game player, developing loads on the pitch, the marketing that he brings... It's fine.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’d imagine it’s heavily incentivised as well, score x amount of goals, club achieves CL position, etc
Yeah, as usual ManUtd wages are reported including all the bonuses whereas for other clubs only their base wages will be reported.

Silas

Thats around Sancho’s salary isn’t it? Was to be expected after their respective seasons. Hopefully a lot of it is performance-based.

telstar96

I love Rashford, I do. But that salary’s insane. I’d expect that’s the kind of salary reserved for bonafide world class players - and despite being good, and having had a really good season - Rashford is not a player I’d describe as world class

He hasn’t hit those heights nor has he shown the consistency needed - even this season just gone in which he had great output, he still often disappears from games.

But if the club is happy to pay that, I guess.
The issue is, right now Rashford is one of best performers but in a team not near the level we want United to be (winning/competing for League and UCL honours). Ideally, it would've been great if he had more years left on his current deal, so we could see his standing in the team 1-2 years down the line, when you'd assume it would be further into it's cycle under Ten Hag. However, since Rashford has 1 year left, we've got to make a decision now of either signing him to a new deal which would make him the highest earner for us or risk letting him go on a free.

Since it looks like Rashford will resign, we've got to hold him to the same standard of players from clubs we want to compete with. Guys like Haaland, Mbappe, De Bruyne, Salah etc. All world class players, that personally, I don't Rashford comes close to. I'm likely to get some hate for saying this but it's fair to be skeptical about Rashford being the future of a club looking to become an elite European club again. It feels a bit like De Gea all over again.

ZupZup

This is what happens ultimately when you let an important player run their contract down.

The reality is though, that to replace him and pay the salary of that replacement would cost us a lot more than this renewal. It’s an easy decision to make in that sense.

Idxomer

The issue is, right now Rashford is one of best performers but in a team not near the level we want United to be (winning/competing for League and UCL honours). Ideally, it would've been great if he had more years left on his current deal, so we could see his standing in the team 1-2 years down the line, when you'd assume it would be further into it's cycle under Ten Hag. However, since Rashford has 1 year left, we've got to make a decision now of either signing him to a new deal which would make him the highest earner for us or risk letting him go on a free.

Since it looks like Rashford will resign, we've got to hold him to the same standard of players from clubs we want to compete with. Guys like Haaland, Mbappe, De Bruyne, Salah etc. All world class players, that personally, I don't Rashford comes close to. I'm likely to get some hate for saying this but it's fair to be skeptical about Rashford being the future of a club looking to become an elite European club again. It feels a bit like De Gea all over again.
Tbf even if those numbers are true, only Salah's wages are comparable.

mu4c_20le

Sounds about right. Especially when the Saudis are handing out 500k contracts like candy to Wolves players.

cyberman

If true it's going to bite us in the ass.
How so? It’s a market where we have unproven kids from Italy being quoted as 8 players.
We could get any price for Marcus if we decided to sell.
Where’s the downside?

Andersonson

Those wages reported are always with bonuses, appearances fee etc included. If he plays all the games, scores enough goals and most likely qualify for the CL he will get those wages. I bet his nailed down salary is between 150-200k pw

Lentwood

The new regime, same as the old regime.
Well, not really, because, and I say this as someone who has been critical of Rashford at times, the club can at least now make the argument that he's earnt that sort of 'top bracket' salary.

That's how we really need to look at this, what are the brackets and what do players need to have done/achieved to earn those salaries?

Old regime, it was absolute chaos. You had new signings coming in on 2/3x what established, senior players where earning, and this understandably caused issues.

New regime need to ensure that there is a clear structure and that players know what they need to do to move up the pay scale.

For example, old regime, how do you think the likes of Shaw or Rashford felt when Sanchez comes in on 500K per week? Imagine pretty p**sed off!

New regime, if a new signing or young lad tried to negotiate using the line 'ah but Rashford earns XXXX'...the simple response is when you've scored 100+ goals for the club and played over 350 games we'll assess paying you similar.

Hammondo

How so? It’s a market where we have unproven kids from Italy being quoted as 8 players.
We could get any price for Marcus if we decided to sell.
Where’s the downside?
Because no other club is going to offer those wages for him, so we are stuck with him. If he goes back to being lazy or crap then we have a very expensive waterboy.

The other problem is that then puts pressure on the club to offer other players more wages with new contracts, because people care how much they are paid compared to people they work with, and at his level Rashford isn't a player who is good enough for those wages, and others will want similar.

cyberman

Because no other club is going to offer those wages for him, so we are stuck with him. If he goes back to being lazy or crap then we have a very expensive waterboy.

The other problem is that then puts pressure on the club to offer other players more wages with new contracts, because people care how much they are paid compared to people they work with, and at his level Rashford isn't a player who is good enough for those wages, and others will want similar.
Of course other clubs would offer the wages. Are you insane? Do you see the transfers getting made? The absolute scarce number of goalscorer about? We could quote any transfer figure we want and we’d have a taker.
If they deserve it then they should ask for similar wages. If the club doesn’t think they’re worth it then they’ll be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.