Marcus Rashford vs Tammy Abraham

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
If we had a swap deal with Rashford going our way and Tammy going your way then United would be by far the happier of the two.
If we had a swap deal with Rashford going our way and Tammy going your way then United would be by far the happier of the two.
You know they were bath salts in your stocking? You're not supposed to eat them pal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Searching with 'Welbeck' in this thread is awesome, some gems in this thread.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think you'd have to be bonkers to think about not playing Rashford at this point. The front three are all nailed on and in the recent England games Rashford's probably been the pick of them.

I've yet to see Sancho do anything in an England shirt to suggest he should be playing ahead of any of them. He's a potentially very good player but the other three are already consistently making even the best defences they come up against look like a bunch of muppets. Sancho could be doing the same in a few years and then it will be interesting.

It is amazing how far it's come on in such a short time. Four years ago Greenwood would be walking into the England squad just on the back of what he's done at United. Now you have a pick of 4-5 very good attacking players who you already can't justify putting in the first team. Sancho, Abraham, Maddison, Mount, Grealish...that's before you even start thinking about someone like Greenwood.

I also think Kane will be the one causing the headache in a few years time. Because you already have two players in Sterling and Rashford who not only get goals, but who contribute hugely in terms of work rate, movement, stretching the opposition, assists, etc. The batch of youngsters on the fringes are all very similar, where as Kane only offers goals. Not that this is a bad thing when he's scoring 30+ a season, but if you end up with three or more top level forwards who offer goals and more, it gets very difficult to justify having someone static up top in any game where the team is struggling.
I can't disagree with you regarding Kane. He isn't just a goalscorer, his passing and link up play is very good. I can't think of another 'traditional' centre forward that combines goalscoring with creativity as effectively as him.

You're right about Rashford though. With his current form for both club and country, it's going to be impossible to leave him out.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can't disagree with you regarding Kane. He isn't just a goalscorer, his passing and link up play is very good. I can't think of another 'traditional' centre forward that combines goalscoring with creativity as effectively as him.

You're right about Rashford though. With his current form for both club and country, it's going to be impossible to leave him out.
Kane does have games where his link up play is very good and actually can pick a through ball very well. The problem is he also has games where if his team isn't on top, he offers absolutely nothing at all.

You can't say that about the likes of Sterling or Rashford who will be making runs, carrying the ball or if they have to dropping back to pick the ball up straight from the defence.

Kane just doesn't have the mobility for that. At the moment obviously it's not a factor as you'd just be bonkers not to play him.

Say in 3 years though, if Rashford has continued to improve, Sterling is still at the same level or better, and one of the younger crop reaches the kind of level Rashford is at now. Then you have a problem...albeit a good problem.

DBT85

Rashford v Ronaldo incoming.
I was bored so rather than comparing just appearances I compared goals/assists and minutes played.

Rashford is ahead and will stay ahead if he can keep up his current 1 goal or assist every 100 mins (this seasons avg).

Interestingly Ronaldo also hit 100mins per goal or assist around the same number of minutes (12,000 - 14000).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Abraham is a bit rubbish tbf.
He always was going to show the form he had in the Championship. Doesn’t make him rubbish but he shouldn’t be the first choice striker at a club like Chelsea. He reminds me a little bit of Origi; not quite top class but ok to come on as sub

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Kane does have games where his link up play is very good and actually can pick a through ball very well. The problem is he also has games where if his team isn't on top, he offers absolutely nothing at all.

You can't say that about the likes of Sterling or Rashford who will be making runs, carrying the ball or if they have to dropping back to pick the ball up straight from the defence.

Kane just doesn't have the mobility for that. At the moment obviously it's not a factor as you'd just be bonkers not to play him.

Say in 3 years though, if Rashford has continued to improve, Sterling is still at the same level or better, and one of the younger crop reaches the kind of level Rashford is at now. Then you have a problem...albeit a good problem.
It's certainly a good problem to have. I remember when we opened St Georges Park in 2012 and Sheepshanks was heavily criticized for saying we should be looking to win a World cup in 2020s. It was brought up several times in later years as a rod to beat the England first team with, ignoring that it takes a decade or more for those changes to come fruition. Now we have the most exciting crop of youngsters in world football making their way through our youth teams and into first team football. Rashford and Kane kind of lead the way in that regarding.

That's more of a reflection on where Kane plays though, is it not? It's easier for the wide forwards to make that visible impact. There's also a lot more players in the Rashford mold than there is the Kane mold. You see how difficult it has been for us to find someone who can properly lead the line, the same goes for Chelsea. I don't think Abraham will ever reach Kane's level, and I can't see which of our other youngsters can develop the necessary skills to become that focal point. Perhaps Greenwood can be that player given time, albeit in a different style, but he's as likely to be an inside forward as he is a striker.

For now and for the foreseeable future, Kane is locked in, with Rashford, Sterling and Sancho battling it out for the other two positions. With how Rashford has performed for England in recent months he should be the preferred option, though I feel Southgate still see's Sterling as that player.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What rubbish some people spout.
Rashford is a much better and more capable player than Tammy will ever be.
You can keep him thank you very much.

spiriticon

Tammy might be a better finisher (might) but no way is he a better player than Rashford.

And not a chance will i be happy about any sort of swap deal.

Tony247

Martial is very good with his back to goal.
That TA goal against Arsenal yesterday is precisely what I was referring as CF playing his back to the goal. That makes a no. 9 really lethal in the box. I wish Rashford and Martial develop that skill. Although I feel Greenwood is best suited to perform like that. But somehow the staff is happy playing him on right.

Lukaku has that in him but his first touch is hopeless.

That TA goal against Arsenal yesterday is precisely what I was referring as CF playing his back to the goal. That makes a no. 9 really lethal in the box. I wish Rashford and Martial develop that skill. Although I feel Greenwood is best suited to perform like that. But somehow the staff is happy playing him on right.
Martial has done plenty of that in him, remember that goal v Southampton away in his first year? vs. VVD too :drool:

roonster09

Scout

Lukaku has that in him but his first touch is hopeless.

2:05 and 4:30.

We don't build our play like that. Martial is a playmaker than target man. He brings more than just goals.

Tony247

Forget TA, rashford comparison. I genuinely feel Greenwood is the missing piece in the attacking no. 9 puzzle. It is injustice to the young lad that he is forced to play on right because of martial. The boy is two footed, with literally no weak foot. It is preposterous that he is stuck on the right when he can be much lethal in the middle as no. 9.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We've got plenty of decent players who can play in Rashford's position whilst you have no proper #9. It's not mental, it's obvious.
Not only do I prefer Rashford to Tammy, I prefer Martial as a CF to him, too. So, imo, it'd be a terrible deal for us.

roonster09

Scout
Forget TA, rashford comparison. I genuinely feel Greenwood is the missing piece in the attacking no. 9 puzzle. It is injustice to the young lad that he is forced to play on right because of martial. The boy is two footed, with literally no weak foot. It is preposterous that he is stuck on the right when he can be much lethal in the middle as no. 9.
He isn't ready to lead the line, he is physically too weak to play CF role. He is having very good season playing as right winger. Its better with him facing the goal than back to the goal.

Makelele

Not only do I prefer Rashford to Tammy, I prefer Martial as a CF to him, too. So, imo, it'd be a terrible deal for us.
Abraham has real potential as an all round striker. Martial and Rashford are more goal scorers than anything. Maybe Rashford can be more but I believe Tammy has the bigger potential of the three as an all round striker.

roonster09

Scout
Abraham has real potential as an all round striker. Martial and Rashford are more goal scorers than anything. Maybe Rashford can be more but I believe Tammy has the bigger potential of the three as an all round striker.
Its the other way around. Rashford and Martial are more than just goal scorers.

Rashford isn't even a stiker, he is wide forward/winger. He is the worst among 3 as CFs but as a wing forward he is very good.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think you're doing both Martial and Rashford a disservice by labelling them as goal scorers more than anything. Martial's general play as a CF is top notch. He can hold the ball up, create chances on his own through his dribbling, can create chances for others when dropping deep, etc. I definitely prefer him to Tammy as a CF. He has it all, imo. He just needs to work on his intensity.

Regarding Rashford, Tammy will probably end up a better CF than him, but Rashford isn't really a CF. He's at his best as a LF, and brings so much to the team aside from goals. He's turning into a proper leader.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Looks like it's one nil to me after my swap post considering Tammy scored against Arsenal and Rashford didn't against Burnley (pens don't count).

Yagami

Good post resistant
Looks like it's one nil to me after my swap post considering Tammy scored against Arsenal and Rashford didn't against Burnley (pens don't count).
Rashford did score against Burnley in open play :p

VojjE

...but Rashford DID score a non-penalty against Burnley. Are you trying to bamboozle us?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Say what? TA can only dream to have Rashford all round play let alone Martial

AshRK

Abraham was hardly great yesterday. Had chelsea lost or even drawn there would have been a different reaction. I will be honest, I do not see anything special in Abraham right now. He is no drogba, more like a young Lukaku. Now he may develop and become more lethal and better technically but so far I don't see that and hence will not swap him for Martial let alone Rashford.

Oldyella

Abraham was hardly great yesterday. Had chelsea lost or even drawn there would have been a different reaction. I will be honest, I do not see anything special in Abraham right now. He is no drogba, more like a young Lukaku. Now he may develop and become more lethal and better technically but so far I don't see that and hence will not swap him for Martial let alone Rashford.
He was working with scraps for a lot of yesterday's game though in fairness. Chelsea just didnt get the ball to him and ge doesn't seem like a player who can drop deep to influence a game. Anyway this seems a weird comparison. Totally different positions now, rashford seems to have really nailed down the wide attacking role.

Robbie Boy

Totally agree. I think Chelsea will upgrade him.

Jeffthered

Abraham is a good young player. He plays for his team, and scores goals. He is also v effective even when he is not scoring. He truly leads the line.

Rashford is more an individual, who chooses to try and do more in some areas (dribble, set pieces etc..) than Abraham.

I, personally, would like to see Rashford to be more like Abraham. But Rashford prefers playing off the left, so like-for-like comparisons are not so straightforward.

Bondi77

I think Abraham looks like a decent young player and doing well in his first season in the top flight.
Rashford is not a centre forward as it is obvious he does his best work on the left and is a better footballer than Abraham but I think Abraham is a natural centre forward and he will be in the Euros and backup to Kane.

SweetRightFoot

Mate, he's been pretty lethal already out wide where he's got time and space to turn a man and get his ridiculous shots off, he's better out there than trying to play hold up against two grown men in the middle. Martial is much better suited to that role at the minute.

El Zoido

Rashford on 14 goals for the season, Tammy on 13. 2nd (joint) and 5th top scorers in the league this season respectively. Would have to say Rashford has been, and is, the better player due a having a wider range of good performances, and also against better teams. Should be noted, however, that Abrahams has played 200 minutes fewer than Rashford.

432JuanMata

Both are playing well this season, Tammy is doing amazing with the 1st Full season in the league and Marcus has stepped it up loads this season both good players but both different