Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Look obviously I don't think that Fellaini can perform in every single game and we've seen that already this season. Sometimes he just goes missing. But he may actually surprise you even against the best teams. It all depends on whether his teammates can get the ball to him. Personally, I and many other people on the caf believe that he can be a menace to even the best teams in the world in this form. Your preference for more technically gifted players is just that. A preference. What I like about this team right now is that we have a variety of weapons and teams just don't know how to cope with our team as a whole. Fellaini is a very important weapon to have even against the best teams.
Thing is, when he came into the team early on in the season, he was arguably our MOTM against Chelsea and City, and that was when operating in a deeper role with more of a defensive job to do. He is absolutely a big game player, so I am surprised at people saying that against the big teams he wont cut it - the CL games are the exact ones where I would be starting him!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Look obviously I don't think that Fellaini can perform in every single game and we've seen that already this season. Sometimes he just goes missing. But he may actually surprise you even against the best teams. It all depends on whether his teammates can get the ball to him. Personally, I and many other people on the caf believe that he can be a menace to even the best teams in the world in this form. Your preference for more technically gifted players is just that. A preference. What I like about this team right now is that we have a variety of weapons and teams just don't know how to cope with our team as a whole. Fellaini is a very important weapon to have even against the best teams.
I won't be surprised by Fellaini, I actually trust him, I already said that his style wasn't my favorite but I rate him as a player.

Now he is a weapon, not an important weapon, he has been good for us this season but he hasn't been better(or worse) than half of his teammates. What I don't appreciate at the moment is how some of us are ridiculously singling him out as if his two other midfield teammates weren't as good as him (if not better; but that's subjective) and as if Young wasn't as good as him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I won't be surprised by Fellaini, I actually trust him, I already said that his style wasn't my favorite but I rate him as a player.

Now he is a weapon, not an important weapon, he has been good for us this season but he hasn't been better(or worse) than half of his teammates. What I don't appreciate at the moment is how some of us are ridiculously singling him out as if his two other midfield teammates weren't as good as him (if not better; but that's subjective) and as if Young wasn't as good as him.
The bolded bit is pretty much exactly how I feel about Mata and Herrera.

Kag

Nah...

Fellaini would be perfect in a game against one of the big boys. As good as our passing game currently is, both Barcelona and Bayern Munich are much better. So if we can't beat them at their own game, we'd have to beat them at our own. That would mean utilising our unique weapons. Fellaini is one of, if not the, best player in the world at what he does. He'll be our ace in the hole in the CL next year.
If we had most other managers at the helm I would be tempted to agree with this but I'm not sure this will be the case with Van Gaal and his desired end game.

Ferguson accepted that his team were never going to go to the Nou Camp and control possession of the ball. He would play the likes of Park to cause all kinds of nuisance against Pirlo at Milan. It didn't matter much to us, but we were usually the side that conformed to the identity of some of the bigger sides in Europe, particularly when the quality of the squad was on the wane.

I think Van Gaal is different. He'll want to go to Barcelona and Madrid and play his game. And I think he'll want the best players available to do that. Already, we're going to go to Stamford Bridge next weekend and it's likely we'll have the majority of the ball.

Fellaini is a fantastic option to have, and we're talking a little down the line here, but I don't think he will be a regular if and when Van Gaal gets the squad the way he wants it. I think he will want a better player on the deck. He'll be a great option nonetheless, however, which I can't stress enough.

Kag

Did you see Gestede vs livepool?
I didn't, I've only seen the odd highlight of him. I just find it hard to believe that he's better than Fellaini at being Fellaini. One plays for Manchester United and Belgium and makes a difference in the Manchester derby and the other does not.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The bolded bit is pretty much exactly how I feel about Mata and Herrera.
And I agree with you then, only Carrick and De Gea are undroppable or Irreplaceable at the moment.

RooneyLegend

I didn't, I've only seen the odd highlight of him. I just find it hard to believe that he's better than Fellaini at being Fellaini. One plays for Manchester United and Belgium and makes a difference in the Manchester derby and the other does not.
Then you should've, it was Fellaini 101. Made the pool defenders look painfully average in the air.

The thing is Fellaini is relatively new to this target man stuff, he's originally a midfielder and we bought him to be just that. Sadly he didn't cut the grade there and we're now using his other qualities. You can see him at times when we're attacking that he isn't completely sure of where he's supposed to be or doing.

Gestede is just as big and just as strong, but he's a more natural attacker than Fellaini. Has better movement and plays a better final ball.

If he can put on a great performance vs pool for blackburn, then why couldn't he be a better player than fellaini?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Then you should've, it was Fellaini 101. Made the pool defenders look painfully average in the air.

The thing is Fellaini is relatively new to this target man stuff, he's originally a midfielder and we bought him to be just that. Sadly he didn't cut the grade there and we're now using his other qualities. You can see him at times when we're attacking that he isn't completely sure of where he's supposed to be or doing.

Gestede is just as big and just as strong, but he's a more natural attacker than Fellaini. Has better movement and plays a better final ball.

If he can put on a great performance vs pool for blackburn, then why couldn't he be a better player than fellaini?
Gestede is a striker who barely gets a regular game at championship Blackburn - comparing him to Fellaini (who plays in MIDFIELD for us!) is pointless on a whole variety of levels.

Fellaini did actually play a bit further forward yesterday than has been doing, but he is not a proper target man at all

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

What an odd post.

Kag

Ay, that's just bollocks.

Litch

It's been said but we are a fickle lot. He's gone from zero to hero but you just know the vultures will start circling again should he play a couple of bad games. Make hay whilst the suns shining Felli cause they'll be many who have got the 'I said he was crap' card ready to be played.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It's been said but we are a fickle lot. He's gone from zero to hero but you just know the vultures will start circling again should he play a couple of bad games. Make hay whilst the suns shining Felli cause they'll be many who have got the 'I said he was crap' card ready to be played.
You could already sense it in the match thread yesterday after he lost possession a couple of times at the start of the game..

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Feel like the coaches have worked on him cutting down the elbows. The one against Demichelis was clearly accidental but in general he is using his arms to cleanly muscle people off the ball and isn't getting as many fouls called against him.

AllezLesDiables

Don't understand the criticisms about his technique, he's quite proficient technically. Is he Hazard, no, but then again Hazard's technique level is there with Messi.

Fellaini falls into the unratable category because his skill set is unorthodox but he can provide an aspect to the game that no else can at level Fellaini has.

Certainly he's limited in certain aspects but it's not like he's an idiot savant.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
So happy for him, imagine how he felt getting a lot of the blame for last seasons failures. Now he's in with a shout of being our player of the season. He got his head down, worked hard and never folded. Now that's a sign of a true professional, and I can't see nobody laughing at him now.

SSSSnake

Bruno Mars would catch a grenade for you, but Marouane Fellaini could take it
down on his chest and control it...

Saw this on Twitter earlier and made me chucke....probs an old joke but still makes me laugh.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rooney's comments are interesting.

"We like to play out from the back and if teams are pressing us then we have him as an option,” Rooney said.

“He is probably the best in world football at bringing the ball down and getting us out of that pressure and further up the pitch."
Usually teams who get forced to hit it long have to aim for a striker, who will be competing with two tall, strong central defenders to win the ball. So there's a big chance of conceding possession.

Thanks to Fellaini we can dink it forward to someone who will win almost every header and/or use his exceptional chest control to bring it under. Competing for the ball with midfielders, rather than defenders. That allows us to start our posession game again, only in a much less dangerous area of the pitch.

It's not something you see often. A weird blend of tiki taka and route one football. Very effective, though.

Jerch

I rated him when he was at Everton. Still have the memories when he dominated our midfield and in the end was a reason we lost 1:0 against Everton. Then when the transfer came i jumped on the CAF train saying that we overpayed for him. It was kinda stupid spending 27m for him when he had a 23m buyout clause just a month before. And the fact that he didn't played a lot last season didn't helped so i, as many others, just wanted that we ship him out last summer.

I can't believe how big mistake that would be. When he is playing in this kind of form he is easily worth more than what we did payed for him. He is fast becoming one of my favorite players. A player who give everything for the team. It looks like that he is very nice guy too and that he really loves this club. I knwo we need at least one signing in midfield area this summer but i will be kinda sad if this would be at his or Herrera expense.

Hope he can do it again at the Bridge. I just hope from now on, when his form will dropp a little, that United fans will remember how good can he be and there will be no questions about his future at Manchester anymore.

Cina

Seen you post this a couple of times. Did you create this thread? No, so pipe down, peasant.
pft, t'was in a previous thread, long before his performances ever begin.

Heil ... err, I mean .. Hail Cina

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I swear this week (since the City game) my internet has been flooded with Fellaini-related articles talking about his impact tactically. Thought I would post a couple here:

"Mata and Herrera's form is thanks to Fellaini"
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...aini-makes-space-juan-mata-ander-herrera.aspx

"Fellaini still a big factor in europe next season"
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ster-united-opinion-marouane-fellaini-9043048

"Fellaini wins battle of the unorthodox #10s"
http://www.theguardian.com/football...-pellegrini-manchester-united-manchester-city

"Rooney Praises Fellaini"
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...aptain-wayne-rooney-praises-marouane-fellaini

"Young Praises Fellaini"
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-uniteds-ashley-young-reckons-5511438

"Van Gaal happy for/praises Fellaini"
http://www.football365.com/manchester-united/9803596/Louis-Van-Gaal-happy-for-Marouane-Fellaini

This is literally just stuff that has popped up on my dashboard. A lot of it seems to be pretty lazy journalism, but it seems that in the last week the media have suddenly decided that Fellaini is the man in the spotlight, and that in itself I find quite interesting.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

If only there was an award for the most ridiculous post on the forum...

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If only there was an award for the most ridiculous post on the forum...
There is the "most ridiculous posts of the week" thread (or something similar) in the general forum I believe. To be honest I would be surprised if the post you quoted hadnt already made it into there.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Was this a joke?

Edit - His turnaround is quite amazing. Just read some of the earlier pages of this thread and ol' Fellaini was getting so much abuse after that Swansea defeat.

Last edited:

Mali_Zeus

What did I just read?

acnumber9

He's done well recently but he was an absolute passenger today. Second half was really poor.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He's done well recently but he was an absolute passenger today. Second half was really poor.
This. Not a chance he should have finished the match. Should have been pulled at the 60 minute mark (you can understand why Falcao was kept on with our injuries). Should have been AdM for Fellaini, with Mata going central.

Status
Not open for further replies.