5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer

I don't care how effective he is (which is still debatable), he's not a United player and encourages shit football. I can't wait till him and Van Gaal are fecked out of this club.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly he wasn't bad, but I just hate that he plays for us. I know it sounds wrong, but we should be aiming for higher quality.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
In all honesty, he wasnt too bad today as well. Put in some fight, kept it simple, started some attacks. Not good enough though.
In all honesty he could barely play a simple pass. He couldn't control a ball for shit. He was lazy, dirty an lacking any quality or ideas. If he is every seen playing for us again it's the 2nd biggest disgrace in the history of football. Behind Van Gaal still being in charge.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I thought a couple of his forward passes were decent at times. He found gaps and released people into space between our midfield and defence now and then in the second half. He throws himself into challenges too heavily though. There's being competitive and then there's what he does. He's not Manchester United standard but I guess most of you have been saying that for a while.

I'm surprised he wasn't in our penalty area more often towards the end of the game. He had a decent chance from a header and it's the only time I can remember him being in the box to win something in the air.

Brophs

The One and Only
He and Rooney must be the only players that Van Gaal brings back from injury that don't require 'match rhythm' and play the full 90. Is it cos he doesn't have any rhythm in the first place
Perhaps. He's certainly got guilty feet. The crime being to have the first touch of a newborn foal that's run across a landmine.

dichinero

He and Rooney must be the only players that Van Gaal brings back from injury that don't require 'match rhythm' and play the full 90. Is it cos he doesn't have any rhythm in the first place
Something tells me Moyes included a clause in their contracts. They are undroppable!

stevoc

It is no coincidence that pretty much everytime he plays in central midfield we get overrun.

I don't hate the guy but if we keep playing him we will never be a top side. He's just not good enough, no title winning side will ever have a Fellaini in it.

Mind boggling that we had Herrera, Carrick and Schweinsteiger on the bench and play Fellaini.

Sylar

He only looked decent cos we played shit football tactics which suit him. We play our best stuff when hes not in the team.

I dont hate him but he should not be starting for us, especially after coming off a layoff like he did. And he finished 90 minutes. Hes meant to be a plan C (at best) for when we need a late goal. Not somebody we start in midfield for games like this. So frustrating.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The best thing he did was elbow Can to effectively take himself out of the return leg.

Don't hate him but his presence on the pitch reminds me of the state we are currently in, and that aggravates me.

clarkydaz

Klopp actually said they coped with the long balls to Fellaini very well. Beyond depressing when they say it in interview

clarkydaz

He only looked decent cos we played shit football tactics which suit him. We play our best stuff when hes not in the team.

I dont hate him but he should not be starting for us, especially after coming off a layoff like he did. And he finished 90 minutes. Hes meant to be a plan C (at best) for when we need a late goal. Not somebody we start in midfield for games like this. So frustrating.
its funny how LVG picks and chooses which unfit players can and cannot play only 60 minutes, due to lack of match rhythm

ZDwyr

It is no coincidence that pretty much everytime he plays in central midfield we get overrun.

I don't hate the guy but if we keep playing him we will never be a top side. He's just not good enough, no title winning side will ever have a Fellaini in it.

Mind boggling that we had Herrera, Carrick and Schweinsteiger on the bench and play Fellaini.
Is it though? I mean, Carrick looks done (even moreso after this game), Schweinsteiger has been back for one training session and was never going to play, and Herrera is not that overly good himself. Liverpool have a clear weakness at set-pieces and they like to press. It really isn't that strange that he started. Perhaps he should have replaced Mata in a more advanced role and then have Herrera or Carrick behind him.

stevoc

Is it though? I mean, Carrick looks done (even moreso after this game), Schweinsteiger has been back for one training session and was never going to play, and Herrera is not that overly good himself. Liverpool have a clear weakness at set-pieces and they like to press. It really isn't that strange that he started. Perhaps he should have replaced Mata in a more advanced role and then have Herrera or Carrick behind him.
It is yes seeing as how he isn't really a central midfielder and the other 3 are. Fellaini was only coming back from an injury as well so the Schweinsteiger explanation holds no water really.

I can't remember one instance in tonights game where Fellaini caused them any troubles at set pieces can you?

And anyway even if he did, is this how far we've fallen we that play now big men because they might cause the opposition a bit of trouble on corners and freekicks. Jesus.

ZDwyr

It is yes seeing as how he isn't really a central midfielder and the other 3 are. Fellaini was only coming back from an injury as well so the Schweinsteiger explanation holds no water really.

I can't remember one instance in tonights game where Fellaini caused them any troubles at set pieces can you?

And anyway even if he did, is this how far we've fallen we that play now big men because they might cause the opposition a bit of trouble on corners and freekicks. Jesus.
He'd trained more than Schweinsteiger though. Anyway like I said, it probably would have been wiser to play him as the AM instead of Mata rather than CM. So I agree with you in that regard.

We had no corners and one of our very few freekicks was hit to the corner flag by Depay, so no we didn't threaten them. Well the set-piece ting is part of the reason. The other is that he is an effective way to beat the press.

stevoc

He'd trained more than Schweinsteiger though. Anyway like I said, it probably would have been wiser to play him as the AM instead of Mata rather than CM. So I agree with you in that regard.

We had no corners and one of our very few freekicks was hit to the corner flag by Depay, so no we didn't threaten them. Well the set-piece ting is part of the reason. The other is that he is an effective way to beat the press.
I mean i can see what your thinking is mate because we can launch it long to him. But let's be honest they pressed us into our own box for almost the entire first half. What was the possession stats at Half Time do you know?

In tight games like this i would much rather have someone in CM who is better with the ball at their feet. Because pretty much everytime he plays in there we get overrun in midfield like tonight.

And yeah i definitely agree if he had to be on the pitch i would have preferred him to have played higher up in front of two actual central midfielders.

Perrick Dubois

I rarely get to watch games live but I always check the result now before I watch the replay (I used to always try and not hear results and watch games blind but with the state of our results I've not really bothered of late). I always come in and have a bit of a peek at what people are saying about certain players.

This thread always confuses me greatly. It is always filled with various absolutes about the lack of Fellaini's ability, can't dribble, can't tackle, can't even lace his boots in the dressing room. Then I watch the replay of a game and I just see a genuinely average (or decent, like his second half today) performance filled with maybe a couple of bad touches or bad passes like every other player who ever plays football. I just wonder why people get so emotional about a player and I have to come to the conclusion that he's an emotional punching bag for some. A player who, no matter how good a game he's had will always take the abuse of the fans with his chest out, come back for more and always give 100% for the shirt.

I've never really been fond of him as a player and it was only last season that after the real adversities he faced in his career he still continued to puff his chest out and give 100% for the shirt no matter what. He won a lot of respect with me and even when he stepped in to protect Januzaj.

I'll never be able to fathom why people really do their lid about him. He's you're run of the mill squad player who puts in run of the mill performances which everyone completely leathers him about. What a waste of breath. At least he is one of the few who have looked like they give a shit this season regardless of what is going on. I like that about him, if only that. People need to calm down a bit I think.

He was quite clearly not match fit and I have no idea why he started/played 90 mind you. That was a bit bizarre, I can only come to the conclusion that Van Gaal values his drive and then likes to push him forward late. Which is weird for such an advocate of quality football (haha yeah right) all across the park. It just seems so out of the ball park really.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I rarely get to watch games live but I always check the result now before I watch the replay (I used to always try and not hear results and watch games blind but with the state of our results I've not really bothered of late). I always come in and have a bit of a peek at what people are saying about certain players.

This thread always confuses me greatly. It is always filled with various absolutes about the lack of Fellaini's ability, can't dribble, can't tackle, can't even lace his boots in the dressing room. Then I watch the replay of a game and I just see a genuinely average (or decent, like his second half today) performance filled with maybe a couple of bad touches or bad passes like every other player who ever plays football. I just wonder why people get so emotional about a player and I have to come to the conclusion that he's an emotional punching bag for some. A player who, no matter how good a game he's had will always take the abuse of the fans with his chest out, come back for more and always give 100% for the shirt.

I've never really been fond of him as a player and it was only last season that after the real adversities he faced in his career he still continued to puff his chest out and give 100% for the shirt no matter what. He won a lot of respect with me and even when he stepped in to protect Januzaj.

I'll never be able to fathom why people really do their lid about him. He's you're run of the mill squad player who puts in run of the mill performances which everyone completely leathers him about. What a waste of breath. At least he is one of the few who have looked like they give a shit this season regardless of what is going on. I like that about him, if only that. People need to calm down a bit I think.

He was quite clearly not match fit and I have no idea why he started/played 90 mind you. That was a bit bizarre, I can only come to the conclusion that Van Gaal values his drive and then likes to push him forward late. Which is weird for such an advocate of quality football (haha yeah right) all across the park. It just seems so out of the ball park really.
He's crap. His fighting spirit doesn't change that unfortunately. Also you don't spend and give a salary to a 30m rated player whose just a run of the mill squad player

led_scholes

I really dont understand some people' s definition of decent. He made one good clever forward pass the whole game. He lost a header challenge from the welsh andrea pirlo. He miscontrolled it 4-5 times. He couldn 't stop effectively anybody so he was just giving fouls everywhere. He could have been red carded on 78 minute, one minute after the great LVG decided not to change him. Our decline this year began since he was introduced on the 55 minute against PSV, in a game that we seemed to control and created a few chances, after we couldn t go past the middle of the park. Since that game we resemble a team fighting for relegation, with fellaini featuring to most of the losses.

Perrick Dubois

He's crap. His fighting spirit doesn't change that unfortunately. Also you don't spend and give a salary to a 30m rated player whose just a run of the mill squad player
Meh, he is crap that is not in question, but his positive attitude counts for something. I'd rather eleven players who gave at least a solitary shit rather than ten that don't and one that does. I care neither here no there about what he's worth, he at least has a dig regardless of the size of the cheque he's owed.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Shit but not as shit as others. Story of his time at United and speaks volumes for our squad as a whole.

devilish

Meh, he is crap that is not in question, but his positive attitude counts for something. I'd rather eleven players who gave at least a solitary shit rather than ten that don't and one that does. I care neither here no there about what he's worth, he at least has a dig regardless of the size of the cheque he's owed.
That's the thing, attitude alone doesn't get you anywhere these days. Actually its counterproducive because that player would probably end up losing it after being ridiculed one too often. Don't take me wrong I love players with attitude. God know how much time I spent in here defending Gattuso (that was until he put Scholes in his pocket, after that there was no need to defend him anymore). However it must also be backed with something call it characteristics or talent that justify his role (in Gattuso's case was stamina, decent positioning and superb man marking). Fellaini doesn't have anything of that. He's too slow and lack positioning to play as DM, he lacks vision and passing skills to play as playmaker and he's hardly a goalscoring threat upfront. He's a relic of a style of football which thank god is becoming extinct

I also think that most of our players do care. Some are too old, others are not good enough while others are not yet ready for first team football.The problem is LVG. His tactics seems confusing even for us who are watching the game let alone to players. I mean Rashford on the flanks. FFS the boy has yet to come to terms playing first team football and the manager decides to switch his role and back him with another youth (as RB)? Id love to know what LVG is smoking.

dichinero

What is this positive attitude and fighting spirit people are talking about? Is this the same guys that jogs around the pitch, that is 10 yards from the opponent he should be marking, that can't be bothered to direct a header? Just because a player likes to fling his frame, it doesn't mean he has a fighting spirit. If the ball isn't within a 2 yard radius, the guy refuses to move. Throwing elbows is never an indication of a fighting spirit. It is thuggery. Too many excuses for a guy that can't play Football. Should never ever play for United again, worst player in recent years.

Last edited:

devilish

What is this positive attitude and fighting spirit people are talking about? Is this the same guys that jogs around the pitch, that is 10 yards from the opponent he should be marking, that can't be bothered tondirect a header? Just because a player likes to fling his frame, it doesn't mean he has a fighting spirit. If the ball isn't within a 2 yard radius, the guy refuses to move. Throwing elbows is never an indication of a fighting spirit. It is thuggery. Too many excuses for a guy that can't play Football. Should never ever play for United again, worst player in recent years.
He does work hard, unfortunately he lacks positioning and speed which means he is rarely in the thick of the action.

dichinero

He does work hard, unfortunately he lacks positioning and speed which means he is rarely in the thick of the action.
I want to agree with you but works hard at what exactly? This is the thing that baffles me. He is like watching a spider killing a prey, won't move until the prey is within reach. Heck, the spider at least is successful.

devilish

I want to agree with you but works hard at what exactly? This is the thing that baffles me. He is like watching a spider killing a prey, won't move until the prey is within reach. Heck, the spider at least is successful.
that's cause he's painfully slow

dichinero

that's cause he's painfully slow
So if he is slow, why does he then run box to box, with the action happening 30 yards ahead of him, whereas he could just stay in one position and be there. A lot of people slating Schneiderlin but it's not easy when your CM partner leaves you alone to do a 2 man job.

devilish

So if he is slow, why does he then run box to box, with the action happening 30 yards ahead of him, whereas he could just stay in one position and be there. A lot of people slating Schneiderlin but it's not easy when your CM partner leaves you alone to do a 2 man job.
that's because he lacks positioning and he's very very slow. Carrick was slow but he seem to know where the action will be and he will make sure he'll be there. Gattuso was like the duracell bunny, he will be everywhere, every time. Fellaini lack both skills. He would be a nuisance to the player whose near him but that rarely happens cause he can be easily outpaced or ignored

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Good post, mirrors what I have thought and argued for what feels like years on here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The first half was a horrible performance, he didnt get anywhere near their midfield.

2nd half he was actually quite composed on the ball and made a few nice passes. He was our only player actually fighting like they wanted to win, but unfortunately he goes too far and ends up getting into trouble. I knew with the reputation of that ref he would be walking a thin line.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Its a constant source of frustration to me that we have the biggest player on the pitch but we don't use his strengths.

Unsupringly from LVG, defensively Feliani is used correctly, front post from corners/freekicks and he clears them all day long.

From open play he was fine controling the long ball into midfield, despite what Klopp said he won most those balls easily, we did nothing with it afterwards.

What annoyed me was his never being in the penalty box, seemingly instructed to hold shape and hang on the edge of the area, I counted only once when he was in position for a cross.

The other annoyance is for 3 years now from every set piece he's at the back post. He should be at the front post in the eyeline of every opposition player. Not every ball needs to be aimed at him but his presence alone will cause at least one or two defensive cockups a game

iKeano

He got beaten to a header by Joe Allen... His "aerial threat" is the biggest myth in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.