Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dichinero

@dichinero absolute nonsense bud.
It's a matter of opinion. If we didn't have him, I doubt we would be crying out for a Fellaini, which is my point. And it's too easy and lazy to resort to Fellaini when things aren't going so well for the team. Our last two managers have been very reactive instead of being proactive, and the inclusion of Fellaini is mostly reactive IMO. Like I said, it is a matter of opinion. One odd good game every month is not good enough, to keep a player as an "option" when he should be in the prime of his career. A player of his experience should offer more than just unique options.

Mourinho specifically went out his way to change Chelsea's team and put Zouma in midfield because of Fellaini. That goes to show how much of a threat he felt he was. Hopefully he keeps him because of that.
Good point. But the moment Fellaini was easily nullified, the whole team were in shambles. There is no plan B when he is on the pitch and it showed for the next three games in that sequence when we lost 3 in a row IIRC (A sequence of games that is conveniently removed from discussions). Can we truly afford to build a tactic around one player that isn't a world class player? Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo, as far as the highest standards are concerned.

Kostur

海尔的老板
@dichinero absolute nonsense bud.
96 posts that are mostly around the same, boring and idiotic lines in this thread, mere fact that I managed to get him on ignore because of the same agenda bullshit that he managed to peddle in the match threads (so when he was still in the newbs) suggest that indeed he might talk utter shite.

dichinero

96 posts that are mostly around the same, boring and idiotic lines in this thread, mere fact that I managed to get him on ignore because of the same agenda bullshit that he managed to peddle in the match threads (so when he was still in the newbs) suggest that indeed he might talk utter shite.
Seems like you really enjoy keeping tabs on me. Want me to post another to help with your Monday blues?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It's a matter of opinion. If we didn't have him, I doubt we would be crying out for a Fellaini, which is my point. And it's too easy and lazy to resort to Fellaini when things aren't going so well for the team. Our last two managers have been very reactive instead of being proactive, and the inclusion of Fellaini is mostly reactive IMO. Like I said, it is a matter of opinion. One odd good game every month is not good enough, to keep a player as an "option" when he should be in the prime of his career. A player of his experience should offer more than just unique options.
If you categorise Fellaini purely as "hey this guy is pretty tall and can chest a ball well" then sure. In my view however, Fellaini contributes well as a box-to-box player, he has a winning mentality, adds physicality and workrate to the midfield. Just because he isnt a playmaker doesnt mean it is right to neglect his other qualities.

Good point. But the moment Fellaini was easily nullified, the whole team were in shambles. There is no plan B when he is on the pitch and it showed for the next three games in that sequence when we lost 3 in a row IIRC (A sequence of games that is conveniently removed from discussions). Can we truly afford to build a tactic around one player that isn't a world class player? Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo, as far as the highest standards are concerned.
Is that Fellaini's fault or the managers?
Moreso, nobody is suggesting that we build a team around Fellaini, but rather that he is a good option to have in the squad and has generally done well when called upon.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good point. But the moment Fellaini was easily nullified, the whole team were in shambles.

There is no plan B when he is on the pitch and it showed for the next three games in that sequence when we lost 3 in a row IIRC (A sequence of games that is conveniently removed from discussions). Can we truly afford to build a tactic around one player that isn't a world class player? Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo, as far as the highest standards are concerned.
Is that a way of saying Fellaini was our most important player?

How is that Fellaini's fault, though? He can only do what he does on the pitch. If he's marked out the game, which, at times he will be, then it's up to our other players to turn up.

dichinero

If you categorise Fellaini purely as "hey this guy is pretty tall and can chest a ball well" then sure. In my view however, Fellaini contributes well as a box-to-box player, he has a winning mentality, adds physicality and workrate to the midfield. Just because he isnt a playmaker doesnt mean it is right to neglect his other qualities.

Is that Fellaini's fault or the managers?
Moreso, nobody is suggesting that we build a team around Fellaini, but rather that he is a good option to have in the squad and has generally done well when called upon.

I'm in no way laying the blame on the guy. It's just that he comes across as a player that managers seem to have difficulty to nail down a role or position. I believe he is a hardworking player that gives what he can. Unless Jose can bring out the best of Fellaini, I fear that it might be another struggle. Moyes, Wilmots and LvG have all used him in different capacities and he needs to nail down a role. In the last 3 years, he's been deployed as a #6,8,10,9,9.5.

My point is that, Fellaini just being an option isn't good enough. He should be starting giving his experience but what role and tactic that would be consistent is my point! If that makes sense.

dichinero

Is that a way of saying Fellaini was our most important player?

How is that Fellaini's fault, though? He can only do what he does on the pitch. If he's marked out the game, which, at times he will be, then it's up to our other players to turn up.
Yes, he was the most important player IMO. But because his limited or should I say specific skill set, it almost means that when is the key player in whatever tactic, there is hardly any flexibility when he is nullified. Yes, it's also down to the manager but to a degree his "limitations" make it difficult to mix it up when things aren't going according to plan.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Mourinho will love Fellaini and use him wherever he can.

He is your Heskey - An indispensible asset to the preferred approach and simultaneously emblematic of all the shortcomings of that approach.

Aboutreika18

He is your Heskey - An indispensible asset to the preferred approach and simultaneously emblematic of all the shortcomings of that approach.
I can imagine him throwing Fellaini up front in the last 5-10 minutes if we're losing a game, like he used to do with Huth at Chelsea and Materazzi at Inter.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can imagine him throwing Fellaini up front in the last 5-10 minutes if we're losing a game, like he used to do with Huth at Chelsea and Materazzi at Inter.
Which is exactly how he should be used. He's a game changer, rather than a game maker.

Boycott

He'll do that with Smalling then. Waste of a squad spot and his quality by using him specifically for a last resort role. That's when you send the center halves up.

Bojan11

I think Mourinho will sell Fellaini.
With Zlatan coming there's very little point of Fellaini.

All Fellaini is useful because of his height. So no more putting him up front now with Zlatan arriving. He is not a player Jose would want in midfield.

Mark Pawelek

I'd sooner have a better plan B. Especially as Mourinho's plan A signings will likely mean physicality is less of an issue from here on.
Zlatan is 1.95m and should help defending set pieces, Eric Bailly is 1.87m, fast and physical. For all his height and headings, Fellaini didn't score or assist that many goals, and not much came from all the balls he won in midfield. He was most useful in our defence!, defending set pieces. Fellaini got 4 goals and 1 assist in 1457 minutes. Not too good.

DenisIrwin

Zlatan is 1.95m and should help defending set pieces, Eric Bailly is 1.87m, fast and physical. For all his height and headings, Fellaini didn't score or assist that many goals, and not much came from all the balls he won in midfield. He was most useful in our defence!, defending set pieces. Fellaini got 4 goals and 1 assist in 1457 minutes. Not too good.
How many did Cack get?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

That's just your wishful thinking.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think Mourinho will like a player like Fellaini in the squad, especially if we play with a 433, with two centre midfielders ahead of a holding midfielder.

As I said before, if a manager goes out his way to specifically change his tactics and team, in order to try and nullify a player, then you know they must be a threat. Those are the sort of tactics used with Messi, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Alonso, etc. Now, I'm not trying to put Fellaini in that bracket, but he has a very unique skill set, and is very difficult to mark if used correctly.

With Zlatan coming there's very little point of Fellaini.

All Fellaini is useful because of his height. So no more putting him up front now with Zlatan arriving. He is not a player Jose would want in midfield.

I disagree. Fellaini, in my opinion, gives more than just his height. He's aggressive, powerful, strong, gets up and down the pitch, presses well, gets stuck in, provides an attacking threat and gets his fair share of goals.

Having said all of that, the more height we have in our team the better.

Devil may care

Hopefully the addition of Ibra, Bailly and a CM with some height will see the end of him, there's no player I have hated seeing more in a United shirt.

Keenst

I quite like Fellaini despite his nastiness. i think he is a useful option to have in the squad, he works hard, provides a threat and is not one who will complain if he is not starting week in week out. Having said that, I wouldn't mind if he was sold either but I certainly have no problem with him staying. New manager, new system and I am all for giving some players a chance to show how they can contribute.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's just a disgusting footballer who has one decent skill: chesting the ball. Everything else he does either mediocrely or poorly. Plus he's a fecking dirty, stupid looking bastard. God I hope we get rid of him. He's a symbol of everything that has been wrong post Fergie. How this fecking clown ended up at Manchester United, I will never know.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's just a disgusting footballer who has one decent skill: chesting the ball. Everything else he does either mediocrely or poorly. Plus he's a fecking dirty, stupid looking bastard. God I hope we get rid of him. He's a symbol of everything that has been wrong post Fergie. How this fecking clown ended up at Manchester United, I will never know.
My sentiments exactly. Absolutely embarrassing to have him anywhere near the squad.

superdry

touched by a genius
I wouldn't like to see him playing against us again, the dirty, clumsy, awkward to play against individual that he is.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
How similar do we think Fellaini is to Matic?

I guess Mourinho could see him in that role with a good passer (ala Fabregas) alongside him. We'd have Carrick/Bastian/Maybe Rooney to go alongside him. And then 3 playmakers ahead of them.

Keenst

What happened? Did he shit in your cereal or something?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
That's just your wishful thinking.
People said the same three years ago when I told you guys there would be no fabregas and that it would be Fellaini on deadline day just after his release clause expired.

Fellaini is like stepping on a turd when you are late. He will keep sticking to your shoe until you arrive and have time to clean it. For now, the pressure to get there isn't off yet.

He's a safety cushion for managers. They love him.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I said that hecwas shit about two weeks after he joined. People hated me for saying so.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He just agile or fast enough to play in a Jose team as an attacking midfielder or box to box midfielder.

The PL is basically all about rushing the ball up the pitch as quick as you can. Jose teams are brilliant at that. Hence him and probably Mata will be leaving.

If Jose wants a plan B he will have Zlatan. At 6F5 he will be looking down on pretty much every CB in the PL.

finneh

How similar do we think Fellaini is to Matic?
Not similar at all. Matic is very mobile, a good tackler, can read the play well and has a decent short passing range.

Fellaini is an awkward number 10 who can make things difficult for the opposition. He'd be perfect for Pulis at West Brom.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not similar at all. Matic is very mobile, a good tackler, can read the play well and has a decent short passing range.
Fellaini ticks almost all of those boxes and offers far, far more in attack than Matic.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Fellaini ticks almost all of those boxes and offers far, far more in attack than Matic.
If Fellaini was any good at tackling and reading the game, he would have cemented himself as a defensive midfielder ages ago.

He also doesn't have enough skill and vision to offer far far more in attack than anyone.

Litch

Will always divide opinions. For me, I rather have him than have to play against him. Also for the last two seasons deployed in different ways, he was instrumental in the end of both seasons in us making top 4 last year and this year vital goals in the cup run and contribution in the final. Ever team needs a player that's a bit of a c**t and he's ours.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If Fellaini was any good at tackling and reading the game, he would have cemented himself as a defensive midfielder ages ago.

He also doesn't have enough skill and vision to offer far far more in attack than anyone.
Given we are in the Fellaini thread this will fall on deaf ears, but 'skill and vision' are not the only ways a player can contribute.

Litch

Given we are in the Fellaini thread this will fall on deaf ears, but 'skill and vision' are not the only ways a player can contribute.
Agree and any Utd fan could look down the ages and see many a Felllaini type wearing a red shirt.

finneh

Fellaini is terribly immobile, he has poor concentration (regularly loses midfield runners), has very poor short passing and is awful at reading the game.

It'd be like comparing Heskey with Schneiderlin. Totally different players in totally different positions with totally different skill-sets.

Fellini is not, nor will he ever be a defensively minded central midfielder. We bought him in the back of a good season as a productive nuisance in the number 10 position.

He's a £20m focal point at a mid table team in the number 10 position. He's a relegation standard defensive midfielder.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
FFS, swore I wasn't going to post in this thread. But come on now, Fellaini can't do what Matić did for Chelsea under Mourinho (for the most part until the collective meltdown last season). The latter operated as the foil for the defense, has great positional sense, seems like someone with natural defensive nous, reads the game well, and was the glue that held the team together while Cesc roved forward when they won the title.

At one point he was the leading tackler + interceptor in the league (ahead of Schneiderlin at Southampton):
He was key to their passing from deep - frequently instigating counter-attack, recycled the ball well, was incredibly mobile for a man of his stature evidenced by his dribbling into space in effortless fashion (completed 43 of 53 dribbles), and extinguished dangerous opposition moves.

Marouane is ill-suited for the deepest midfield role - one that places a great burden on him, in terms of positioning, clean tackling ability, and 'vacuuming' the clutter. Weird comparison - but Matić is a bit like Thiago Motta at his peak for PSG - someone who keeps the engine purring smoothly, and does most of the dirty work silently.

That's far removed from Fellaini's best role - he is more of someone who does his best work in the transition to the final third, or further up. It's not a coincidence that his best season at Everton came as a #10 of sorts, and that has also been his best role at United - as the left sided box-to-box to switched to a #10, not as a holding midfielder like Matić. Above all else, he doesn't have the discipline or defensive intuition to do justice to that pivotal role.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
@Invictus to avoid any confusion, I was not trying to claim that Fellaini could do 'the Matic role' (not sure if your post was aimed at me).

@finneh your assessment is harsh. Fellaini being immobile is a lazy myth used by his critics - when he is deployed properly as part of a 3-man midfield (i.e. 4-3-3, when we have played our best football over the last two years) he gets up and down the pitch extremely well and operates very much as a box to box player.
His passing - short or otherwise - is obviously not one of his strengths but nor is it as bad as being made out. As I said before there are other ways a player can contribute as a midfielder than being a Paul Scholes or Xavi spraying 60 yard passes out every thirty seconds.

Again I am not trying to claim he is a defensive midfielder - his best role by far at United has been in a midfield three with a holding player such as Carrick behind him. Fellaini - along with Herrera and Rooney - thrives in that role when given the license and freedom to get up and down the pitch. In my eyes that is the formation we should be persisting with, but unfortunately Jose has always tended to go for a 4-2-3-1 which does not leave a natural role for any of the players just mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.