5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

He’ll see out his contract as we will have to pay him to leave, no one will pay a fee for him and match his wages.

He’s survived so long because we haven’t very been good since he joined and our football has been outdated and pedestrian. He won’t be suited to a more modern, higher tempo style but could still be useful every so often from the bench.

He gets a lot of credit for some important goals but in the league he is really ineffective, 1 goal in 2018, 12 in total since he joined. For someone who is so often our plan B and supposedly ‘unplayable’ that’s a really poor record and shows we shouldn’t resort to using him as much.

Oneunited26

What is symbolic of ole’s time, who does ole look to the bench? Perrera, not fellaini but perrera and that is what made me happy. Ole obvious does not want to use fellaini unless at very last resort, we have options and that does not include fellaini. The sooner he’s gone the better

Josep Dowling

Another mistake by Mourinho to give him a new contract. The fact that he's barely played under Solskjaer says everything.

He can't play as a defensive midfielder because his positioning is awful and undisciplined. He'd leave the midfield wide open and he doesn't have the technique to play anywhere else.
I still can’t work out why Mourinho kept using him as a defensive midfielder. He has never been able to play that role. The only time he is effective is when he plays as a number 10.

All Solskjaer has done is play players in their actual positions and straight away the team looks a lot more fluid. It really wasn’t that complicated to fix.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I still can’t work out why Mourinho kept using him as a defensive midfielder. He has never been able to play that role. The only time he is effective is when he plays as a number 10.

All Solskjaer has done is play players in their actual positions and straight away the team looks a lot more fluid. It really wasn’t that complicated to fix.
And yet that's the same position that had scouts from the biggest clubs in Europe flocking to Standard Liege to watch Fellaini when he was 18/19, and the same position he gave one of the best individual performances at the recent World Cup, albeit against rank outsiders Brazil....

Plus his best performance for United this season which had some of his biggest critics reluctantly admitting he was outstanding he was playing, yep you've guessed it, defensive midfield.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What is symbolic of ole’s time, who does ole look to the bench? Perrera, not fellaini but perrera and that is what made me happy. Ole obvious does not want to use fellaini unless at very last resort, we have options and that does not include fellaini. The sooner he’s gone the better
Agreed. Finally a manager who gets it

Steerpike

And yet that's the same position that had scouts from the biggest clubs in Europe flocking to Standard Liege to watch Fellaini when he was 18/19, and the same position he gave one of the best individual performances at the recent World Cup, albeit against rank outsiders Brazil....

Plus his best performance for United this season which had some of his biggest critics reluctantly admitting he was outstanding he was playing, yep you've guessed it, defensive midfield.
I think Fellaini is just one of those players who isn't generally liked on this forum, possibly because he's a Moyes signing, and any semblance of objectivity goes out of the window whenever his name comes up. It's a shame really as he is one of those who I always felt put a shift in, even during the darkest times under Mourinho.

He's a very decent defensive midfielder, and also offers a tactical alternative in a more forward position. He hasn't been played much yet under Ole because he hasn't been needed. That may change in the games to come, and I for one would be happy to see him at the club for a little while yet.

Josep Dowling

What game are you referring to here as I seen shite performance after shite performance by him. One good game doesn’t cover his average at best performances which are far more common.

I don’t remember his position at Standard Liege but I find it odd Everton would have bought him as a DM only to play him immediately behind the striker. Fellaini has always been a number 10. That’s how he’s mainly used by Belgium, hence he get can’t in the team unless they need a goal near the end of a match, exactly how he should be used by us.

Aloysius's Back 3

Felliani was a great CDM when back at standard leige.

However - in my eyes his time at Everton changed him to a much more of a plan B players - something that has stopped him progressing from the type of football he was playing for standard leige.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think everyone can agree a gameplan predicated on his best attributes isn't what United is about.

Still a useful squad player who has demonstrated the commitment and determination to contribute and follow whatever instructions he is given.

The least of our problems as a squad player. That said, we should focus on what will add to the first team and who needs shipping out if not good enough and expecting to start.

Not that many candidates mind. Sanchez is the only obvious one, Lukaku bound to be one, and probably Shaw if we -quite rightly- give him stiff competition at LB.

Rojo and Darmian are the clear useless deadwood offering nothing at all. Valencia probably as well however much it pains me (well past it, no reflection on his record).

Everyone else probably happy and fine as squaddies, we just need more nailed on first team quality.

Ekeke

Felliani was a great CDM when back at standard leige.

However - in my eyes his time at Everton changed him to a much more of a plan B players - something that has stopped him progressing from the type of football he was playing for standard leige.

When I watched him in the champions league for them he didnt play CDM, he played behind the striker.

Defour and Witsel were CM

Class of 63

Sourness
I think Fellaini is just one of those players who isn't generally liked on this forum, possibly because he's a Moyes signing, and any semblance of objectivity goes out of the window whenever his name comes up. It's a shame really as he is one of those who I always felt put a shift in, even during the darkest times under Mourinho.

He's a very decent defensive midfielder, and also offers a tactical alternative in a more forward position. He hasn't been played much yet under Ole because he hasn't been needed. That may change in the games to come, and I for one would be happy to see him at the club for a little while yet.
I know, and I don't understand why, the lad has the heart of a Lion, the stamina of a middle distance runner, game understanding/positional awareness, and offers the tactical flexibility that no other midfielder in the squad offers or comes close to offering, and in emergency can fill in at centre-half, or centre-forward.....

If he'd been signed by SAF, and he did want to sign him when he was 19 and it was only his Dad that stopped it happening as he felt at the time he was too young to leave Belgium, he'd almost certainly have become a cult hero at Old Trafford, and rightly so, and not a figure of fun/hate as he is for those United fans who as you mention can't seem to see past the fact he was signed by Moyes, or because he's not the most pleasing on the eye, or maybe it's just because he apparently looks/looked like a tree or a giant bog-brush......

Should he be starting every game if want to be the best again, probably not, but he's worth his weight in gold as a squad man, basically a rich mans John O'Shea, Phil Neville or Quinton Fortune.

Class of 63

Sourness
What game are you referring to here as I seen shite performance after shite performance by him. One good game doesn’t cover his average at best performances which are far more common.

I don’t remember his position at Standard Liege but I find it odd Everton would have bought him as a DM only to play him immediately behind the striker. Fellaini has always been a number 10. That’s how he’s mainly used by Belgium, hence he get can’t in the team unless they need a goal near the end of a match, exactly how he should be used by us.
The actual game escapes me, but remember thinking whilst reading the Cafe that day that i'd stumbled upon a parallel universe where everybody, or nearly everybody was commenting on not only how well he'd played, but he'd done it as a defensive midfielder as well, and not just as some big lump thrown up front, because apparently that's his only use.

That's just not true.

The guy has nearly 90 caps for Belgium, and he's been a regular starter for nearly a decade in midfield, it's only of late under Martinez that he's lost his starting place and that was originally because of injury, and the Manager stumbling on a successful system in his absence, and understandably not wanting to change it back just before the World Cup.

AR87

The actual game escapes me, but remember thinking whilst reading the Cafe that day that i'd stumbled upon a parallel universe where everybody, or nearly everybody was commenting on not only how well he'd played, but he'd done it as a defensive midfielder as well, and not just as some big lump thrown up front, because apparently that's his only use.

That's just not true.

The guy has nearly 90 caps for Belgium, and he's been a regular starter for nearly a decade in midfield, it's only of late under Martinez that he's lost his starting place and that was originally because of injury, and the Manager stumbling on a successful system in his absence, and understandably not wanting to change it back just before the World Cup.
It was against Bournemouth I'm pretty sure

RedTiger

Half mast
I know, and I don't understand why, the lad has the heart of a Lion, the stamina of a middle distance runner, game understanding/positional awareness, and offers the tactical flexibility that no other midfielder in the squad offers or comes close to offering, and in emergency can fill in at centre-half, or centre-forward.....

If he'd been signed by SAF, and he did want to sign him when he was 19 and it was only his Dad that stopped it happening as he felt at the time he was too young to leave Belgium, he'd almost certainly have become a cult hero at Old Trafford, and rightly so, and not a figure of fun/hate as he is for those United fans who as you mention can't seem to see past the fact he was signed by Moyes, or because he's not the most pleasing on the eye, or maybe it's just because he apparently looks/looked like a tree or a giant bog-brush......

Should he be starting every game if want to be the best again, probably not, but he's worth his weight in gold as a squad man, basically a rich mans John O'Shea, Phil Neville or Quinton Fortune.
Totally agree with you. It's funny how life deals it's hand, if we'd signed him at 19 the opinions of him would be a lot different.

Doracle

Save for the last few words, that first paragraph sounds like you are describing someone like De Bruyne. It’s not a description of Fellaini. The reason (I presume) a lot of Man Utd fans don’t want Fellaini playing for us is because he is a technically limited footballer whose main attribute is having great chest control. He has limited ability to get around the pitch, is clumsy and gives away stupid fouls regularly and, aside from his lack of football ability, he tried to hold the club to ransom over a new contract and only re-signed when no one else would equal the ridiculously high wages we are offering a squad player.

Even if we accept the questionable premise that he has a good attitude, he should never ever be seen on the pitch for Man Utd again unless we are several goals up and one of our other players needs a rest (even then I’d prefer a youth player to get the minutes). He isn’t good enough as a starter and our “B” plan if losing should always be to bring on extra high quality forwards to overwhelm the opposition with quality play. It should never be to throw on a large lump to get his elbows out and hope we get a scrappy header. I’d give him away on a free if I was the manager and anyone would take him.

Reactions: Invictus

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We spent a good fee for a player that made his name as second striker, then turned him into a jack of all trade. What a farce buy it was.

Kapardin

Great squad player. I like him, but he did get a swollen head when Mourinho literally begged him to sign a new contract.

Obviously, we haven't had a reason to use him in the past 3 games, but I suppose he will start for Reading and might be subbed on during the Spurs game if the going gets tough.

Will be interesting to see how Ole uses him. I think his best position is the box-to-box role Herrera is playing, rather than the numerous striker, SS, DM, CB and hoof merchant experiments LvG and Mourinho tried out on him.

Roboc7

He has some value as a DM in Mourinho’s style of play, if you defend deep it masks his lack of mobility and poor reading of the game. Away from home against direct teams he was educated effective.

If we are going to press, play at a higher tempo and need the DM to distribute the ball quickly he isn’t really even an option as he doesn’t have any of the skills required.

He doesn’t fit into the system or style of play we have used in last three games and isn’t suited to any position or role.

Foxbatt

Stick him up front against Spurs or Liverpool and then get Martial and Rashford running on to the balls he flicks on. If we do that Liverpool or Spurs will struggle against us. They will be forced to stick their best defender on him and then Fellaini can remove him from the equation by moving him around.

Josh 76

Stick him up front against Spurs or Liverpool and then get Martial and Rashford running on to the balls he flicks on. If we do that Liverpool or Spurs will struggle against us. They will be forced to stick their best defender on him and then Fellaini can remove him from the equation by moving him around.
If Ole has the balls to do that, he should be our permanent manager.

ravi2

You have to taking the piss. I refuse to believe you are being serious

If someone read your post without seeing what you were replying to they would think you are describing De Bruyne or Modric not Maroune fecking Fellaini

ErranMorad

I think some of you have tempted fate by mentioning how he won't be much use now under Ole. Betcha we need him around the 75th minute in today's game when it's locked at 1-1 and we look out of ideas against Rafa's parked bus.

Kostur

海尔的老板

If someone read your post without seeing what you were replying to they would think you are describing De Bruyne or Modric not Maroune fecking Fellaini
Stamina, positional awareness, tactical flexibility, can fill in for a centre-half or a centre-forward.

Yup, sounds exactly what de Bruyne or Modrić would have in their CV as those traits are the first ones to come to everybody's mind when hearing those names.

AndyJ1985

The only thing Fellaini has that none of our other midfielders come close to offering, is the propensity to elbow an opposition player in the face.

ravi2

Stamina, positional awareness, tactical flexibility, can fill in for a centre-half or a centre-forward.

Yup, sounds exactly what de Bruyne or Modrić would have in their CV as those traits are the first ones to come to everybody's mind when hearing those names.
So are you saying that the following describes Fellaini -- " the lad has the heart of a Lion, the stamina of a middle distance runner, game understanding/positional awareness, and offers the tactical flexibility that no other midfielder in the squad offers"

It almost sounds like he is trolling Fellaini, its so ridiculously over the top

So you want us to go high and direct yet again against another top 6 team ?
Can we play a decent game against these types of teams for once instead of going all LVG/Jose on them.
We're not going to progress if we keep resorting to neanderthal football against these teams.We need a identity and stick to it,even if we may be on the receiving end.

Janson

So you want us to go high and direct yet again against another top 6 team ?
Can we play a decent game against these types of teams for once instead of going all LVG/Jose on them.
We're not going to progress if we keep resorting to neanderthal football against these teams.We need a identity and stick to it,even if we may be on the receiving end.
That is a good tactic to use against a high press tbf. I'm afraid we'll get killed if we try to pass out of the press on the ground.

Janson

Didn't work out too bad for United because we signed Michael Carrick instead, another player who divided opinion, who sadly wasn't fully appreciated until he was ready to be put out to pasture.
I wouldn't expect the casual fan to be able to see how valuable a player like Carrick was.

Class of 63

Sourness
Save for the last few words, that first paragraph sounds like you are describing someone like De Bruyne. It’s not a description of Fellaini. The reason (I presume) a lot of Man Utd fans don’t want Fellaini playing for us is because he is a technically limited footballer whose main attribute is having great chest control. He has limited ability to get around the pitch, is clumsy and gives away stupid fouls regularly and, aside from his lack of football ability, he tried to hold the club to ransom over a new contract and only re-signed when no one else would equal the ridiculously high wages we are offering a squad player.

Even if we accept the questionable premise that he has a good attitude, he should never ever be seen on the pitch for Man Utd again unless we are several goals up and one of our other players needs a rest (even then I’d prefer a youth player to get the minutes). He isn’t good enough as a starter and our “B” plan if losing should always be to bring on extra high quality forwards to overwhelm the opposition with quality play. It should never be to throw on a large lump to get his elbows out and hope we get a scrappy header. I’d give him away on a free if I was the manager and anyone would take him.
It will forever remain a mystery how Fellaini totally nullified Neymar at the recent World Cup when all he's got to offer is great chest control. Must watch it again.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So are you saying that the following describes Fellaini -- " the lad has the heart of a Lion, the stamina of a middle distance runner, game understanding/positional awareness, and offers the tactical flexibility that no other midfielder in the squad offers"

It almost sounds like he is trolling Fellaini, its so ridiculously over the top
Fairly accurate description of his strengths. If you add he has a mediocre touch (with the exception of his chest), a basic passing range and minimum creativity, then its a fairly balanced view. No?

Class of 63

Sourness

Don't worry, nobody reads my post, I certainly don't waste my time doing so.....

Unless i've missed something, always possible, neither KDB or Modric play for United.

Can see it now, we are under the pump at Burnley or Huddersfield and Ole Gunnar turns to Mickey Phelan and says "get Modric warmed up i'm a nervous wreck every time the ball goes in our box", or "get Modric warmed up we need somebody to get on the end of one of Ashley Young''s or Antonio Valencia's wayward crosses" :lol:

Pace Abuser

Don't worry, nobody reads my post, I certainly don't waste my time doing so.....

Unless i've missed something, always possible, neither KDB or Modric play for United.

Can see it now, we are under the pump at Burnley or Huddersfield and Ole Gunnar turns to Mickey Phelan and says "get Modric warmed up i'm a nervous wreck every time the ball goes in our box", or "get Modric warmed up we need somebody to get on the end of one of Ashley Young''s or Antonio Valencia's wayward crosses" :lol:
Not even in the most bizarre sadist fantasy could you have Modric and Ole and be "under the pump" by Huddersfield and Burnley.

Fellaini is a player for a specific style of football - which happens to be outdated, boring, and from the Tony Pulis relegation fight brand. The fact fans laud Fellaini because he can mop up in a defensive bus parked tactical formation or be a good recipient of hoofs is weird. Accepting that brand of footballing mediocrity is what you should be reprimanded for. All debates on fellaini end there.

Status
Not open for further replies.