g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marouane Fellaini image 27

Marouane Fellaini Belgium flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

Any chance he leaves this month?
I wouldn't rule it out in fairness, I doubt he would leave on a permanent deal but I suspect come the end of January his lack of game time may see him and the club consider loaning him out.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's come back from looking finished at the club before. But this time, I really think this is it for him.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The only thing Fellaini has that none of our other midfielders come close to offering, is the propensity to elbow an opposition player in the face.
There's no harm him roughing up a few players if they start taking liberties, and it's something that has reduced drastically since he's come to the club, or did you prefer it how it was previously when everybody did because we had nobody to give a bit back ?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Getting rid of Fellaini is like getting rid of all the Freys in GOT. It might change little in the grand scheme of things but its a damn popular move for the manager to make.

Prodigy24

It's a shame that he's still hated by a lot of fans. He has proven time and time again to be a very tricky player to play against when we've needed a goal. To have him as an option off the bench would be great for every game. Sucks that he will always be remembered for being signed by Moyes and played by the other failed managers. Clearly he's got something, even if people don't want to admit.

Devil81

He's come back from looking finished at the club before. But this time, I really think this is it for him.
I agree, he doesn't fit the current way were set up to play football and Solskjaer clearly doesn't fancy him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I taught Solskjaer will Utilize him as back up to Matic. I am glad we finally have a manager that has actually watched him play. Even though, I have said Fellaini will make a great plan B, our football shouldn’t have to resort to that. He should find a new club and if that club makes him the focus of their attack like he was at Everton, he would be a great purchase for them.

devilish

It's a shame that he's still hated by a lot of fans. He has proven time and time again to be a very tricky player to play against when we've needed a goal. To have him as an option off the bench would be great for every game. Sucks that he will always be remembered for being signed by Moyes and played by the other failed managers. Clearly he's got something, even if people don't want to admit.
The problem with Fellaini is that the only way to play him effectively is for the club to abandon any decent football and go full blown hoof ball. He's like a victim of one of those Zombie movies who cuts off limbs in a bit to stop the infection from spreading. Sure, it might buy you time but try to outrun a zombie without a leg.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The problem with Fellaini is that the only way to play him effectively is for the club to abandon any decent football and go full blown hoof ball. He's like a victim of one of those Zombie movies who cuts off limbs in a bit to stop the infection from spreading. Sure, it might buy you time but try to outrun a zombie without a leg.
:lol: touche

devilish

I taught Solskjaer will Utilize him as back up to Matic. I am glad we finally have a manager that has actually watched him play. Even though, I have said Fellaini will make a great plan B, our football shouldn’t have to resort to that. He should find a new club and if that club makes him the focus of their attack like he was at Everton, he would be a great purchase for them.
It won't work. As his former teammate Osman once said, he's too clumbsy to play him so deep.

ravi2

Not even in the most bizarre sadist fantasy could you have Modric and Ole and be "under the pump" by Huddersfield and Burnley.

Fellaini is a player for a specific style of football - which happens to be outdated, boring, and from the Tony Pulis relegation fight brand. The fact fans laud Fellaini because he can mop up in a defensive bus parked tactical formation or be a good recipient of hoofs is weird. Accepting that brand of footballing mediocrity is what you should be reprimanded for. All debates on fellaini end there.
I feel like I am in the twilight zone reading some of the pro Fellaini posts in this thread.
I dont hate the man and appreciate his service however he is so limited as a footballer and United do not need to resort to the style of play that he is best suited to.

The time has come for him to go

Devil81

It's only been 3 games into Ole's tenure, it's too early to say Ole clearly doesn't fancy him.
Ole has given nearly everyone a go so far other than Fellaini, I think he's made it clear he doesn't see Fellaini as a United player. Something that's been echoed by ex-United players and several pundits.

owlo

I prefer him to stay/play over Mata. I feel he offers more.

championo

Top Stalker
Fellaini is like a roach, he can survive a nuclear weapon attack. I am quietly optimistic that a coach has finally seen him for who he is. A bottom of table player at best.

Cloud7

Ole has used him exactly as he should be used in the games since he's been manager.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I will be appalled if the club let him go, the amount of times he has saved our bacon over the last couple of years, he is a different option off the bench and gives his all, no problem with him staying

stevoc

I know, and I don't understand why, the lad has the heart of a Lion, the stamina of a middle distance runner, game understanding/positional awareness, and offers the tactical flexibility that no other midfielder in the squad offers or comes close to offering, and in emergency can fill in at centre-half, or centre-forward.....

If he'd been signed by SAF, and he did want to sign him when he was 19 and it was only his Dad that stopped it happening as he felt at the time he was too young to leave Belgium, he'd almost certainly have become a **** hero at Old Trafford, and rightly so, and not a figure of fun/hate as he is for those United fans who as you mention can't seem to see past the fact he was signed by Moyes, or because he's not the most pleasing on the eye, or maybe it's just because he apparently looks/looked like a tree or a giant bog-brush......

Should he be starting every game if want to be the best again, probably not, but he's worth his weight in gold as a squad man, basically a rich mans John O'Shea, Phil Neville or Quinton Fortune.
I can remember you have made this claim in the past mate but remind me please did you find any evidence of it?

I've googled for it a few times now and can find absolutely no mention of Fellaini being linked with United around 2006-08. And i can find reports of us being linked with the likes of Babbel and Laudrup way back in 1997. So it's not a case of it being too long ago.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/european-cream-refuses-to-rise-to-the-top-1.82815

There's also nothing in Ferguson's autobiography about Fellaini. The book covers the period of 2000 to roughly 2013. Given the timing of the book release in October 2013 and the fact there was a section covering Moyes appointment. Wouldn't you agree it seems strange that Ferguson wouldn't give his endorsement to Moyes solitary signing that summer by mentioning that he himself had tried to sign the player a few years before if that had actually been the case?

Bwuk

Let’s be honest, Ole has us playing 4-2-3-1.

In the pivot, Herrera & Matic are first choice. We have Andreas and Fred who can play there as back up.

We have an abundance of options we can put at #10 if Pogba is injured or unavailable.

If Fenerbache want him let him go, we already have an over bloated squad.

Renegade

I will be appalled if the club let him go, the amount of times he has saved our bacon over the last couple of years, he is a different option off the bench and gives his all, no problem with him staying
4 times in 5 years?

If someone can research it, but I’m sure the number is a lot less than you’d expect. It’s probably the same amount as the times he has directly cost us points.

Going forward we need to move on from Fellaini. I said it in the summer. He epitomises the level or fans have began to accept. To think a genuine world class talent like Veron had less time to show his worth.

Based Adnan

Oh give over he has 1 league goal in the whole of 2018 and 12 overall despite being here for 6 seasons

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He always gave his best, you have to give him that. But there’s only one way to play with Fellaini. And that’s badly. He needs to leave.

The fact Mourinho gave so much game time to both him and McTominay, really says it all about the style of football he was trying to produce. Not bad players by any stretch of the imagination, but unimaginative spoilers suited to route one football.

Tiber

I am absolutely loving his new role under Ole.

Interested to see what the could do in a potential 'sent packing to Turkey' formation later in the month!

Bola

It's only been 3 games into Ole's tenure, it's too early to say Ole clearly doesn't fancy him.
Yep. It is early days.

However, it is a struggle to see how he fits in our emerging system, other than a back up option. We appear to be rotating the defensive duties fluidly between Matic and Herrera, while Pogba takes a more attacking role. Fellani can help shield the defence and be an aerial threat, but he struggles to match the stronger attributes of the above three (tireless chasing, playmaking passing, running into space, running with the ball). Fred and Perreira are better in that regard and should go above him in the pecking order

Fellani does have that x-factor of his aerial presence and hold up play, but I think OGS will have less value placed on that under his tactics. He has a lot of critics, but Fellani is too good to be a fringe squad player and seems the type who wants to have an important role at the club.

Oneunited26

4 times in 5 years?

If someone can research it, but I’m sure the number is a lot less than you’d expect. It’s probably the same amount as the times he has directly cost us points.

Going forward we need to move on from Fellaini. I said it in the summer. He epitomises the level or fans have began to accept. To think a genuine world class talent like Veron had less time to show his worth.
Hit the nail on the head

When others say he saved our bacon, they really reaching for plot. I heard a few say the last few managers have rated fellaini, so he must be good, what? the trilogy of terror who between the three of them 2 of the three almost tried to destroy the very identity this club has built for decades, while the dutchman tried to play possession football it just was too slow, and in the end another failed experiment. The trilogy of terror not once challenged for the title, so maybe the sign is, don't look to players like fellaini and start breaking ceilings again, because if the corner stone of how good fellaini is, because the last three managers rated him is more of a sign of, where are they in united history? sacked

stevoc

As long as he is used in specific circumstances as an impact player and isn't taking opportunities away from talented youngsters there's always room for him in the squad. He's a unique option off the bench and one that few teams have an effective counter to.
They don't but to be fair you don't really need an effective counter to a player who you are only likely to play 2-3 times a year and who has only scored one goal to rescue games off the bench in 5.5 years.

4 times in 5 years?

Off the bench in games we were drawing/losing in 5 and a half seasons he has 2 goals and one assist. One of those goals came in the the League cup loss to Derby. So twice he's saved our bacon, amazing plan B though according to some.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
People only consider his goals and assist. How about the countless nuisances or havoc created in the opposition box. How about the countless aerial defending he has done in our box.

Come on guys, I get it he is not united quality to start but definitely worth an option from bench.

0le

He is an average Premier League player and that is precisely the problem. He is average. His defensive interceptions don't make up for his poor pace, poor passing range and his ability to do any link up play in midfield. He isn't particularly good at offensive headers either, but he makes up for it with good chest control. He is well suited to a mid-table PL club. He is not a terrible player, but the reason we need to sell him is because he is without a doubt our weakest midfielder and this is an area of the pitch we need to improve in. He'll get the occasional goal and have a decent game here and there, but he will never be part of a title winning team.

Canagel

People only consider his goals and assist. How about the countless nuisances or havoc created in the opposition box. How about the countless aerial defending he has done in our box.

Come on guys, I get it he is not united quality to start but definitely worth an option from bench.
No he's not needed at all. Not as starter and not as bench role. We have plenty of firepower coming off the bench and as Ole has already quickly demonstrated we can change games without Fellaini and hoofball if we need to. The sooner we move on from average players like Fellaini the better. we even had Fred and Periera on our bench and will be preferred instead.
I also expect us to buy a CB who's good in the air so he isn't needed in defence either. His days are numbered and rightly so.

And exactly the same to you @jeff_goldblum

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
So are you saying that the following describes Fellaini -- " the lad has the heart of a Lion, the stamina of a middle distance runner, game understanding/positional awareness, and offers the tactical flexibility that no other midfielder in the squad offers"

It almost sounds like he is trolling Fellaini, its so ridiculously over the top
You're obviously having, or had a bad day @ravi2, earlier you called me a troll, now I don't know if you had your pants pulled down by one of the Mods and asked to edit, or delete your post, or googled troll after the event and thought nope that doesn't really make sense and makes me(you) look stupid and deleted your original post hoping I hadn't seen it, then tried again(which I replied to earlier), and to be honest i'm not overly fussed which it was.

And now you're suggesting i'm trolling Fellaini which doesn't make sense either.

Are you being sponsored to include troll/trolling in one of your posts, or have you been called a troll in a former life, we're here to help.

meamth

Well said. He is a top professional. He saved us many times and why not give him clean slate? I hate seeing fans just wanting to get rid because of him being the plan B.

I'm sure if Ole wanted him to play beautifully he will try to do it because of how professional Fellaini is.

Status
Not open for further replies.