5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
We don't need to utilise him in a game though.

We're playing attractive fast attacking football, he would ruin that.
I have seen with my own eyes Fellaini involved in fast attacking football for Belgium. Didn't ruin it one bit. He doesn't slow down play at all.

I'm a big fan of Berbatov but he actually did slow down play way more than Fellaini and guess what, Berba had one of the best techniques and touches ever seen in the premier league. Point is poor technique doesn't equate to slowing down play.

Not to mention he isn't technically poor either.

red4ever 79

The right decision to omit him. We clearly want to move forwards and become a better footballing side, with the emphasis on quick breaks, pressing and one / two touch. He is nor the right fit for that side.

Foxbatt

No we should keep him as a sub as he can be very useful in some games to come on later in the match. This is why a squad of different kind of players are needed. If we cannot win by playing beautiful football throw in Fellaini up front and cause havoc in the opposition area.

ForestRGoinUp

Febernache or Besiktas or whatever is his level anyway. The midfield Andy Carroll. Club defining for 5 seasons.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I doubt anyone hates him - he just isn't the right fit for us that's all.
But there's absolutely no basis for this. Past 3-4 years Fellaini has given more to this club than Valencia but he gets the stick for it. The guy is a really good footballer. He isn't Pogba but he has his use. I wouldn't say it's hate. It's just ignorance for the most part.

RedDevil@84

We don't need to utilise him in a game though.

We're playing attractive fast attacking football, he would ruin that.
I don't think so. As @shamans said, he plays with Belgium and does not come off badly.
And he has his other uses like he is a menace. He disturbs the rhythm. His movement create disruptions. That is a useful trait when opposition are going with a very rigid game plan. His presence takes two players with him, allowing other players to find spaces.
I am not claiming he is very intelligent with great movement, but he has his uses. A pragmatic manager will use him depending on circumstances.

And the main point is he has a long contract now. And we have so many players we need to get rid of. He would be least of my worries right now.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Time to get rid. He can occasionally be useful, but that is outweighed by the fact he's the living embodiment of where we went wrong as a club after Fergie retired.

cyberman

It doesn’t actually work that often though that’s the point. It sticks out in people’s heads when it does but all the times it is a complete waste of time it gets forgotten. We could throw a CB forward and they would be equally as effective. Our go to guy to get us a goal scored 1 league goal in 2018 and has 0 in the league this season, still time after time he was thrown up front because 2-3 times a season it works.

Fact he defends set pieces well is seen as some form of justification for picking him is part of the problem. What other good team picks a midfielder because that’s their strength?. Passing, pressing, mobility etc these are qualities midfielders need. Buy a CB who can head the ball and he Fellaini is essentially redundant. He starts way too many games and too often is a default and lazy sub by managers.
But Fellaini wouldn't be redundant because a defender who can head is only useful in his own box.
Fellaini adds another body to defense and can provide a threat on the other end without having to lump your CB up top.
The evidence lies in the fact he only gets mass shitted on in here when he doesn't play. When has he come on and stunk up the place? If he did you could be sure we would hear about it but it doesn't really happen.
He's had more of a consistent, positive impact than Herrera and Matic while he's been here but its Fellaini who gets the abuse because he's tall and the rest can't play through a midfield.
Remember, he only really comes on in an emergency. That's damning.
The thread is right here. He doesn't slow us down because he only comes on when we're already struggling.

ForestRGoinUp

But there's absolutely no basis for this. Past 3-4 years Fellaini has given more to this club than Valencia but he gets the stick for it. The guy is a really good footballer. He isn't Pogba but he has his use. I wouldn't say it's hate. It's just ignorance for the most part.
Chill out, Fellaini's brother. Nobody wanted him last summer and now he's only wanted in eastern Europe, hence he is not a "really good footballer." His uses are common in lower league football, not big boy football.

Foxbatt

Chill out, Fellaini's brother. Nobody wanted him last summer and now he's only wanted in eastern Europe, hence he is not a "really good footballer." His uses are common in lower league football, not big boy football.
That Fellaini has won the bronze in a World Cup. None of the English players has won anything close to it. I mean since 1966. So he must be a decent player to play regularly for Belgium. They do not come an bigger than the World Cup. It is big boy football. Not the English league.

ForestRGoinUp

That Fellaini has won the bronze in a World Cup. None of the English players has won anything close to it. I mean since 1966. So he must be a decent player to play regularly for Belgium. They do not come an bigger than the World Cup. It is big boy football. Not the English league.
So they played: Panama, Tunisia, England (in a dead rubber match), Japan, Brazil, France, England (in another dead rubber match). Yea, quite a bit like playing in the Premier League and Champions League I'd say.

Kag

Never has the benchmark been lower for a United player. I mean, I’m sure it has, but you get my point.

The posters on here that defend Fellaini so much do him a massive disservice. This suggestion that he’s been one of our dependables - good whenever called upon - is just utter, utter fantasy. He has shit games. He’s had lots of them. He’s never really been first choice. He’s never scored with any great consistency in spite of the myth that he comes on to save our arses. I’m pleased somebody else has wasted the time to prove this on previous pages. He’s scored twice to equalise or win a game for us during his time here. Which, let’s be honest, isn’t a lot.

And having said all of this, I think Fellaini is a good player. He’s better than his defenders give him credit for. He hasn’t had a good game when he plods about and passes the ball to his man a few times. Or when he makes a few tackles. We don’t praise Matic, Herrera and Pogba for this. Christ, Pereira doesn’t get credit for this during a five minute cameo. We quite rightly demand more. But Fellaini does get praise. He’s been fantastic, quite often. Which demeans the player he genuinely can be: a goal-scoring, battering-ram of a midfielder in the right set up. He’s certainly not that here.

So do Fellaini some credit and expect a little more.

Kag

This is what I’m getting at. Just tosh.

In the past four seasons, Fellaini has made more than twenty Premier League appearances on one occasion. He played 16 Premier League games last season. During this period you mention, Valencia has played over 100 games for the club, won Players’ Player and, generally, been a solid option at right back until this season. Fellaini’s contribution has been nowhere near by comparison.

Oneunited26

Never has the benchmark been lower for a United player. I mean, I’m sure it has, but you get my point.

The posters on here that defend Fellaini so much do him a massive disservice. This suggestion that he’s been one of our dependables - good whenever called upon - is just utter, utter fantasy. He has shit games. He’s had lots of them. He’s never really been first choice. He’s never scored with any great consistency in spite of the myth that he comes on to save our arses. I’m pleased somebody else has wasted the time to prove this on previous pages. He’s scored twice to equalise or win a game for us during his time here. Which, let’s be honest, isn’t a lot.

And having said all of this, I think Fellaini is a good player. He’s better than his defenders give him credit for. He hasn’t had a good game when he plods about and passes the ball to his man a few times. Or when he makes a few tackles. We don’t praise Matic, Herrera and Pogba for this. Christ, Pereira doesn’t get credit for this during a five minute cameo. We quite rightly demand more. But Fellaini does get praise. He’s been fantastic, quite often. Which demeans the player he genuinely can be: a goal-scoring, battering-ram of a midfielder in the right set up. He’s certainly not that here.

So do Fellaini some credit and expect a little more.
Oh I agree

Someone said the last three managers all have picked fellaini in their team, so he must be doing right, and the last three united managers are out of a job, so the lesson here is, pick better players, and the last three managers are not the example of them being any good. They are the trilogy of terror, Mourinho and moyes being allot worse, while VG was just mediocre, still a turd sandwich none the less

What is symbolic of what is right with ole, he left fellaini on the bench and brought on perrera, and the last match he didn’t even pick fellaini has a bench option, not even ole the super sub king who I argue is what is I call a brilliant option off the bench would not even see and pick fellaini has a good bench option. The super sub icon united legend didn’t even see fellaini has a good option off the bench, that is everything people need to know why this coaching team don’t rate fellaini and rightfully so. The classic irony, the man who actually won us matches and trophy’s off the bench, totally destroyed many peoples opinions fellaini is a good option off the bench, talk about kicking that theory in the balls

This is what I’m getting at. Just tosh.

In the past four seasons, Fellaini has made more than twenty Premier League appearances on one occasion. He played 16 Premier League games last season. During this period you mention, Valencia has played over 100 games for the club, won Players’ Player and, generally, been a solid option at right back until this season. Fellaini’s contribution has been nowhere near by comparison.
It’s the irony, the super sub king didn’t even use fellaini has a bench option against Bournemouth, and didn’t even pick him has a bench option away to Newcastle, ole has destroyed the opinions of the pro fellaini fans he’s a good option off the bench. If super sub king ole has a manager didn’t even want fellaini has one of his bench options away from home not at home, one of the smartest footballers we have ever had in a generation didn’t even use him off the bench or pick him has one of the subs off the bench, it really does put into perspective just how mediocre fellaini is has a player in ole’s eyes, and he knows the players required of this football club and especially how to change a game off the bench which ole does not think fellaini can provide, and he knows how to change a game off the bench

Last edited:

ForestRGoinUp

Am I supposed to be offended by this? :houllier:

I don't know what he's eating tonight but I know there's a heaping tray of humble pie awaiting you in the coming weeks.
Humble pie in what form? Fellaini resembling something other than a lower table footballer? He’d suit Newcastle well wish they’d make an offer.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Oh I agree

Someone said the last three managers all have picked fellaini in their team, so he must be doing right, and the last three united managers are out of a job, so the lesson here is, pick better players, and the last three managers are not the example of them being any good. They are the trilogy of terror, Mourinho and moyes being allot worse, while VG was just mediocre, still a turd sandwich none the less

What is symbolic of what is right with ole, he left fellaini on the bench1 and brought on perrera, and the last match he didn’t even pick fellaini has a bench2 option, not even ole the super sub king who I argue is what is I call a brilliant option off the bench3 would not even see and pick fellaini has a good bench4 option. The super sub icon united legend didn’t even see fellaini has a good option off the bench5, that is everything people need to know why this coaching team don’t rate fellaini and rightfully so. The classic irony, the man who actually won us matches and trophy’s off the bench6, totally destroyed many peoples opinions fellaini is a good option off the bench7, talk about kicking that theory in the balls

It’s the irony, the super sub king didn’t even use fellaini has a bench8 option against Bournemouth, and didn’t even pick him has a bench9 option away to Newcastle, ole has destroyed the opinions of the pro fellaini fans he’s a good option off the bench10. If super sub king ole has a manager didn’t even want fellaini has one of his bench11 options away from home not at home, one of the smartest footballers we have ever had in a generation didn’t even use him off the bench12 or pick him has one of the subs off the bench13, it really does put into perspective just how mediocre fellaini is has a player in ole’s eyes, and he knows the players required of this football club and especially how to change a game off the bench14 which ole does not think fellaini can provide, and he knows how to change a game off the bench15
If Fellaini is fit he will be on the erm bench against Spurs, and you can put good money on it.

Denis79

Debatable but ok so thats twice his havoc has benefited us in rescuing games in 5.5 years. Any others?

I have no desire to beat him with a stick, just trying to highlight how some over inflate his importance and usefulness as a plan B.
I agree, I really don't like the plan B even if we're losing. He's never been United quality but there's no arguing he's been very professional for us and gives his all no matter what. I respect that.

Oneunited26

I agree, I really don't like the plan B even if we're losing. He's never been United quality but there's no arguing he's been very professional for us and gives his all no matter what. I respect that.
He was the first signing since fergie left, and he be the first out the door under the management that had allot of with the fergie years

Canagel

Febernache or Besiktas or whatever is his level anyway. The midfield Andy Carroll. Club defining for 5 seasons.
Remember when some fans were adamant Ole will be the fourth manager to use Fellaini? :lol: as if being important for tthree managers that all got sacked means something. He belongs to the past regimes and I said already the moment we get a modern attacking manager fellaini will be one of the first out of the door.

Doracle

This insistence that we need Fellaini as an option B is really depressing. If we aren’t winning, we should bring on more forwards with pace and skill - attack, attack, attack, with style. Lumping it up to the big man should never ever be a necessary tactic for the biggest club in the world.

edgar allan

This insistence that we need Fellaini as an option B is really depressing. If we aren’t winning, we should bring on more forwards with pace and skill - attack, attack, attack, with style. Lumping it up to the big man should never ever be a necessary tactic for the biggest club in the world.
We now have a plan B- Lukaku and a plan C - Sanchez.

No more plan F hopefully

Doracle

Precisely - although I’d hope that those two options would be switched around!

Oneunited26

Remember when some fans were adamant Ole will be the fourth manager to use Fellaini? :lol: as if being important for tthree managers that all got sacked means something. He belongs to the past regimes and I said already the moment we get a modern attacking manager fellaini will be one of the first out of the door.
Oh yes and I remember some fans saying the past three managers all have rated fellaini, he must be doing something right. It’s ironic super sub king ole didnt use him at home, and he wasn’t even a sub against newcastle away, a game where some fans would say he would be a plan B, there is the irony

GGMU

For me the right solution is to play him at CB alongside Lindelof. He'll thrive in Ole's attacking team. A decent defender who can do a great job going forward

kentafuji

Ole talked about Fellaini in relation to the Reading game, so looks like he intends to involve him in the match day squads. So, he will most lilkely be the fourth manager to use him.

Saffron

For me the right solution is to play him at CB alongside Lindelof.
For me the right solution is to ship him off. Why keep trying to shoe horn such a limited player? No other team with title aspirations would.

Perhaps he could have limited use as a bench option but he should never start a game again.

BarstoolProphet

Hope he doesn't feature under OGS. After he cut his afro it looks like we're having Chris Smalling in midfield.

Based Adnan

Quite telling that the only clubs that are seemingly in for him are bog standard Turkish clubs.

Loublaze

ATLien
For me the right solution is to play him at CB alongside Lindelof. He'll thrive in Ole's attacking team. A decent defender who can do a great job going forward
You rate him that highly that you're willing to make him first choice in a converted position over the other CBs?

Foxbatt

Fellaini is a very useful player to have in the squad. He creates a lot of problems that the opposing teams cannot deal with. We probably would not have won the Europa without him. He played the most important role in the final by not letting Ajax play through their way. They simply could not deal with him. Of course he is not the first option or even the second option but as a third option he is the best. If he gets into the opposing box most teams cannot deal with him.
I am really surprised at the hate thrown at him. What has he done? He has given all for the club no matter how much some fans hate him and boo him. Every time he has come on he has given his best. It is not his fault that sometimes Jose uses him to make gestures at the Board. You put Fellaini forward and if the team gets the ball to him he will create problems and chances for his team mates.

Roboc7

Fellaini is a very useful player to have in the squad. He creates a lot of problems that the opposing teams cannot deal with. We probably would not have won the Europa without him. He played the most important role in the final by not letting Ajax play through their way. They simply could not deal with him. Of course he is not the first option or even the second option but as a third option he is the best. If he gets into the opposing box most teams cannot deal with him.
I am really surprised at the hate thrown at him. What has he done? He has given all for the club no matter how much some fans hate him and boo him. Every time he has come on he has given his best. It is not his fault that sometimes Jose uses him to make gestures at the Board. You put Fellaini forward and if the team gets the ball to him he will create problems and chances for his team mates.
Teams can and do regularly deal with him though that’s the point, every so often they don’t but most of the time it’s a desperate and ineffective tactic. Reduce his minutes by 50-60%, use other tactics before resorting to him and he’d be more effective and would be more appreciated.

It’s really telling that when he was available on a free transfer there were no takers. If he was valuable and highly bought of as people think he’d have been signed by one of the top clubs.

Saffron

Teams can and do regularly deal with him though that’s the point, every so often they don’t but most of the time it’s a desperate and ineffective tactic. Reduce his minutes by 50-60%, use other tactics before resorting to him and he’d be more effective and would be more appreciated.

It’s really telling that when he was available on a free transfer there were no takers. If he was valuable and highly bought of as people think he’d have been signed by one of the top clubs.

The people defending him must simply be suffering from cognitive dissonance at this point. "He’s been here for a long time and I don’t want to feel stupid for not seeing what the managers are seeing so I’ll just make up something".

When the reality is, small time manager Moyes brought in his small time backroom staff from Everton and got his small time player Fellaini from his old club on a 4 year contract. Since he was already under contract, LVG might as well use him. Then came along dinosaur Mourinho with his over-reliance on loyal grifters (if he could have started 5 Fellainis and 5 McTominays he would have) and gave him a new contract on obscene wages.

He plays at the perfect position to get away with not really contributing anything. If a player of his ability had been a defender, he would have been found out immediately because he couldn’t defend properly. If a player of his ability had been a striker, he would have been found out immediately because he wouldn’t be scoring enough goals. If a player of his ability had been a creative midfielder, he would have been found out immediately because he wouldn’t be creating anything.

Only by donkeying around as some kind of generic midfielder who sometimes wins headers has he avoided being found out as the midtable player that he is.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not taking away from Fellaini's contribution in that game but Herrera was our best midfielder and was deservedly awarded MOTM. He broke up more attacks and covered more ground than Fellaini did. Pogba also had an immense game in midfield and was a big contender for MOTM imo. Fellaini will not work in this new system, its no surprise the more modern and progressive thinking managers have no time for players of Fellaini's ilk.

Loublaze

ATLien
The people defending him must simply be suffering from cognitive dissonance at this point. "He’s been here for a long time and I don’t want to feel stupid for not seeing what the managers are seeing so I’ll just make up something".

When the reality is, small time manager Moyes brought in his small time backroom staff from Everton and got his small time player Fellaini from his old club on a 4 year contract. Since he was already under contract, LVG might as well use him. Then came along dinosaur Mourinho with his over-reliance on loyal grifters (if he could have started 5 Fellainis and 5 McTominays he would have) and gave him a new contract on obscene wages.

He plays at the perfect position to get away with not really contributing anything. If a player of his ability had been a defender, he would have been found out immediately because he couldn’t defend properly. If a player of his ability had been a striker, he would have been found out immediately because he wouldn’t be scoring enough goals. If a player of his ability had been a creative midfielder, he would have been found out immediately because he wouldn’t be creating anything.

Only by donkeying around as some kind of generic midfielder who sometimes wins headers has he avoided being found out as the midtable player that he is.
Post of the year so far! I laughed at the 5 Fellaini's and 5 McTominays bit. You're absolutely right though. Fellani's fans only ever go about how hard he is to play against, what a big nuisance he is. Its overstated really and we don't need a player who's so criminally limited in his skill set.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You rate him that highly that you're willing to make him first choice in a converted position over the other CBs?
To be fair I presume he is making that comment because we only have two available centre backs in the squad at the moment, and one of them has spent his entire career being incredibly injury-prone.

I want both Jones and Lindelof rested myself, but I reckon it'll be Darmian who plays next to one of them rather than Fellaini.

Actually, reading it back it does kind of sound like he means he wants Fellaini there fulltime. :nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.