g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martial agent looking for a new club for him

Widow

Will be hard to move him on for a decent price this summer. Would it hurt to keep him a year as a half-decent backup? The word backup should never be used on a player with his kind of contract but he could be a good option. The problem is he isn't the player we need to start games but coming off the bench etc...he could do a job and try to move him on next year.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The problem I have with Martial is more due to how our opponents have now started playing against us.

I was a big fan of Martial when we used to be able to counter attack against teams with space left behind them and the front 3 passing and dribbling around with each other. It was wonderful to watch during the first few months of Bruno’s entrance to our team.

However now the opposition have realized that they can’t give us that space and are always seeming to be sitting deep. Martial playing as a deep lying forward / slight false 9 type away from the defenders - just ends up showing his inability to get in to the box and score a tap in goal. The runs are not there for a player that has the ability to play deeper.

Red_toad

Sancho's mostly a left winger
14 games right wing v 15 games left wing 20/21, 11 left wing v 19 right wing season before season says not really. Plus a few up top, so he’s an adaptable attacking player is more accurate than your guess.

bucky

It makes sense. Martial is only useful as a starter, he doesn't want to be a squad player and doesn't do well as one, but isn't good enough to be a starter for what we want. He has no route to future starting position and is behind Greenwood as the first choice rotation option too now. Love him, but the time has come. Hopefully he can go on to have a good career and fetch a good price.
Agreed.

MadMike

14 games right wing v 15 games left wing 20/21, 11 left wing v 19 right wing season before season says not really. Plus a few up top, so he’s an adaptable attacking player is more accurate than your guess.
No still less accurate, since mine is not guess.

Young forwards are in general more versatile and adaptable (and less senior in the pecking order) hence they get shifted about. That's no news. Rashford has played all over the place before settling more as a LW. But as Sancho coaches have said, he's more comfortable and dangerous on the left and cutting inside, because he's a right footer. Even in games where he nominally plays on the right he will often find himself on the left and create his best chances from there. Like when he played for England on the right, in the last friendly before the euros, and yet he his two best chances (including hitting the bar) were him coming from the left. If you watch his Dortmund highlights 80% of them are from left or centre, not the right.

I don't know where Ole plans to play him, but there's no doubt he's more effective from the left and the notion that we're getting a RW and selling a FW/LW (which is what I was responding to) is fundamentally flawed. We're getting a winger that can play both sides alright, but one that is more efficient on the left.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I really do think he’s on the market. He’s stuck up a training video or two on Instagram. Just sounds like he’s showing the world he’s fit and ready to go whatever happens. He’s definitely a saleable asset. Tottenham will be flush if they sell Kane. I’d fancy Martial to keep scoring at a similar rate and to improve with age in an attacking team. I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see Chelsea come in for him either. Shudder… Hopefully we can sell him abroad.

I really do think he’s on the market. He’s stuck up a training video or two on Instagram. Just sounds like he’s showing the world he’s fit and ready to go whatever happens. He’s definitely a saleable asset. Tottenham will be flush if they sell Kane. I’d fancy Martial to keep scoring at a similar rate and to improve with age in an attacking team. I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see Chelsea come in for him either. Shudder…
I’ve said it many times, Spurs is the right club for him. The expectation is lower, he can be his usual streaky self and it will go somewhat unnoticed. Kane is most likely going to city - and spurs need a striker. It cost £50m to buy a 5th choice international CB (white) these days, and there are very few strikers about.

martial to spurs makes so much sense. He will do well there. He needs a new start. No 9 for spurs, or backup left wing for United?

Womp

idiot
Will be hard to move him on for a decent price this summer. Would it hurt to keep him a year as a half-decent backup? The word backup should never be used on a player with his kind of contract but he could be a good option. The problem is he isn't the player we need to start games but coming off the bench etc...he could do a job and try to move him on next year.
As you mentioned, backups aren't on his contracts, but more importantly, I don't think he would accept being a backup. His best form for us has always come when he's been a sure thing in the side. Also seems like a fair weather player.

-Supreme-

Unless Martial takes a pay cut then I can't see him moving to Spurs who is on similar wages to Kane.

I'd personally like to keep hold of him for at least another year, particularly when it's unrealistic to bring in a new striker this summer when we have other higher priorities.

Cavani will have a few injuries and he can't play 2 games a week.

OL29

As you mentioned, backups aren't on his contracts, but more importantly, I don't think he would accept being a backup. His best form for us has always come when he's been a sure thing in the side. Also seems like a fair weather player.
He was arguably as good as ever when he was battling with Rashford for a place on the left wing…

Raven

Can't see us rushing to sell him to Spurs, even though they're a bit of a mess, unless of course the offers great, which knowing Spurs it won't be.
I'd hate to for him to be sold within the league, I think it would come back to bite us.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve said it many times, Spurs is the right club for him. The expectation is lower, he can be his usual streaky self and it will go somewhat unnoticed. Kane is most likely going to city - and spurs need a striker. It cost £50m to buy a 5th choice international CB (white) these days, and there are very few strikers about.

martial to spurs makes so much sense. He will do well there. He needs a new start. No 9 for spurs, or backup left wing for United?
You just know levy will have us paying about 100k of his wages for the next 3 years if he goes there. There were also rumours of Madrid being in for him on loan. I really hope we don’t go for that. He’ll be going there as a squad player and he’ll end up coming back. We may as well keep him as backup if that’s the case. PSG? There are very few foreign clubs who will pay us 50 million. Pity Conte left inter!

You just know levy will have us paying about 100k of his wages for the next 3 years if he goes there. There were also rumours of Madrid being in for him on loan. I really hope we don’t go for that. He’ll be going there as a squad player and he’ll end up coming back. We may as well keep him as backup if that’s the case. PSG? There are very few foreign clubs who will pay us 50 million. Pity Conte left inter!
no. Nothing to suggest we would have to pay some of his wages. He’s failed to live up to expectations, but he’s a good player, and can play for most teams, just not the very best. This is not Sanchez or Bale. Spurs can pay him the same wages that Son will get on his new deal, Martial won’t be going to a good bank, and will have the benefit of a 4/5 year deal.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd hate to for him to be sold within the league, I think it would come back to bite us.
It doesn't feel like a risk we'd take, its not something we often do in modern times, no matter how much I don't personally think Ole rates him, I don't the club would want to see him to another top 6 team.

dinostar77

Utd will probably loan him out with a fee i think. If he has a great season elsewhere it will only increase his value. As it looks like Sancho will happen, Greenwood will be backup striker to Cavani, so we dont need Martial or his stupid 250k a week wages.

It doesn't feel like a risk we'd take, its not something we often do in modern times, no matter how much I don't personally think Ole rates him, I don't the club would want to see him to another top 6 team.
unless we sold him to City, Liverpool or city - he’s not biting us in the arse. He’s capable of scoring 25 goals a season, and good luck to him. We shouldn’t expect players that leave to be shit. He needs a new start, and should do well wherever he goes. The three teams I’ve mentioned wouldn’t be interested in buying him in any case. Leicester couldn’t afford him. No issue with him going to Arsenal or spurs if they give us a decent fee.

el3mel

There's no risk. If Spurs buy him, they're not going to challenge us for anything anyway.

Flytan

Had some good moments and stretches during his career here but never really found me attached to him as a player

Womp

idiot
He was arguably as good as ever when he was battling with Rashford for a place on the left wing…
I don't completely agree, his form in that period is as it always is - periods of looking great with periods of being underwhelming. His best form for us was when he first joined and that run he went on last season. Both periods he wasn't really contested for a position imo.

gajender

Utd will probably loan him out with a fee i think. If he has a great season elsewhere it will only increase his value. As it looks like Sancho will happen, Greenwood will be backup striker to Cavani, so we dont need Martial or his stupid 250k a week wages.
Care to elaborate how that works when Fee is already fixed for Buying club.

Tallis

What about Athletico Madrid. They could probably pay his wages and I think he would do well in Spain. Another option is Juve if Ronaldo leaves.

Mason should start playing at 9 and rotate with Cavani. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did against Leicester when we played him up front.

zenith

I'd still love to see him here for another season. With Sancho coming in, our attacking options are among the best in Europe and when he's in the mood his close control and link up play are excellent.

Can't tell me that the prospect of Sancho, rashford, martial, cavani, greenwood, amad does not excite the fans.

The Purley King

There's no risk. If Spurs buy him, they're not going to challenge us for anything anyway.
Precisely.
A leopard does not change its spots. I cannot put up with another year of martial half arsing it.
He may well tear it up at Spurs but he’ll never do it here.
Same with Lingard perhaps he’ll flourish with less pressure in a different system. If that is the case then so what it doesn’t change the fact that it’ll never work for us.
Get £45-50m and wave him goodbye.

Bebestation

Why do people think we are getting 45 million + for him?

This isn’t football manager.

theklr

A swap with a midfielder would be awesome, though I still think he could come good for us and that we need him in the squad

dinostar77

Care to elaborate how that works when Fee is already fixed for Buying club.
You can loan with no option to buy therefore not setting a fee. You can loan with option to buy and set a fee. You can loan with obligation to buy at a set fee.

Lingaard was loaned to west ham with no fee set.

WPMUFC

If we can offload him to fix the McFred combo then see ya mate, thanks for some cracking goals.

diarm

I hope Martial's agent is a bit more proactive than he is.

Otherwise he'll just be sat there, in front of a switched off computer, moaning about how nobody is sending him any offers.

gajender

You can loan with no option to buy therefore not setting a fee. You can loan with option to buy and set a fee. You can loan with obligation to buy at a set fee.

Lingaard was loaned to west ham with no fee set.
My mistake so you meant loan fee I took it as loan with option to buy .

Bebestation

He’s easily worth that, in fact that’s a good price for a player of his calibre.
I’m not saying he isn’t worth that - I’m asking who would pay that for him?

Martial is not going to move to a higher club up from United - he is going to go down a level. That’s the difference between Buendia moving from Norwich to Aston Villa vs him moving from Aston Villa to Norwich.

Like sure if someone is going to play 45 million to a player with a wage of 250k then so be it - that’s great; but I don’t think that’s happening. His wages out cost his value.

Castia

I’m not saying he isn’t worth that - I’m asking who would pay that for him?

Martial is not going to move to a higher club up from United - he is going to go down a level. That’s the difference between Buendia moving from Norwich to Aston Villa vs him moving from Aston Villa to Norwich.

Like sure if someone is going to play 45 million to a player with a wage of 250k then so be it - that’s great; but I don’t think that’s happening. His wages out cost his value.
his wages are probably a sticking point for sure, same situation we have with De Gea.

I just feel if he’s for sale somebody will come in for Martial he’s a decent player.

crossy1686

career ending
What about Athletico Madrid. They could probably pay his wages and I think he would do well in Spain. Another option is Juve if Ronaldo leaves.

Mason should start playing at 9 and rotate with Cavani. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did against Leicester when we played him up front.
There's absolutely no way he's doing the running that Simone expects of his players. He could barely be arsed to play for us most days

Matthew84!

I think we should definitely sell him, he's sulked pretty much all season about starting games on the bench, yes injuries have played a part but he's had perhaps 2 good seasons for us,
If we can sell him to a foreign club I think that would be best,

I think 45m would be fair but could also try to use him in Kane, Grealish or Rice transfer but I don't think he wants to stay in England.
I'd gladly swap him for Varane, spend the money we save on that for a CM.

Suv666

Martial + £70m for Kane. Everyone's happy except one bald cnut.

OL29

I think we should definitely sell him, he's sulked pretty much all season about starting games on the bench, yes injuries have played a part but he's had perhaps 2 good seasons for us,
If we can sell him to a foreign club I think that would be best,

I think 45m would be fair but could also try to use him in Kane, Grealish or Rice transfer but I don't think he wants to stay in England.
I'd gladly swap him for Varane, spend the money we save on that for a CM.
How when he was first choice until about January?