g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martial agent looking for a new club for him

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd keep him, he's no longer first choice and will probably want out himself soon enough but for this season he'll be a decent squad player

Pavl3n

Even though I'd be happy with him moving on and happy for us to have moved on, we might still need him for one more season.
If he leaves this summer and Cavani gets some injury we're left only with Greenwood up top. Which is too much pressure for him.
Get Sancho, Varane and RB back up this summer and ST, DM next summer. Once new ST comes in then we can let him go.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
James is more useful than Martial? Ffs :lol:

Pashun & desiyah > technical ability, as always on the caf.
I think he is, his pace and work rate is much more useful for a late match sub than what Martial offers.

People are crazy on the caf as always.

Especially when it comes to them foreigners. Look at how many on the caf think Pogba is shit but would happily pay 100m for Grealish
I'm not even British....

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Would rather sell James and Keep him around for another season. But if we get a good fee, I wouldn’t say no.
James would be more realistic to sell and easier to sell but James is more suitable for just backup option since his wages is much smaller than Martial.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
James is more useful than Martial? Ffs :lol:

Pashun & desiyah > technical ability, as always on the caf.
Both James and Martial offer different things to be fair. So it really depends on who's the oppositions are. Martial offers more variety in his game but against team like City, James tends to perform so effectively.

crossy1686

career ending
The reason he's firing now is cause he was made to lose that shit ton of weight he put on.
I noticed that. There was a picture on Twitter the other day of him in a United shirt. He looked literally twice the size he is now. The lack of professionalism is unreal really.

userman

Not Martials biggest fan but surely this is not the right summer to let him go? He just had his worst season for us and his price tag has probably plummeted, but he did however show in the 19/20-season how big of an asset he could be.
Giving him a final chance this season, in competition with - and to rest - Cavani, can’t do the demand for his services much harm.

If he fails to perform again the coming season the strikers for the 22/23-season will be Greenwood and a new striker next summer.

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Martial on his pomp is a joy to watch. His pomps are not frequent enough though and we generally see a languid player who just mopes around. If we want to progress to where we once were, we can’t have players like him around even if his ceiling is world-class.

I won’t lose any sleep seeing him sold. We need players we can trust. Can anyone on this forum confidently say that we can trust Martial in being a player to continue taking us forward? I can’t at least.

I think for his own good more than anything, he needs a change to freshen up. His development has stalled here. Having purple patches every now and again is not good enough to cover the cracks.

Idxomer

I'm not sure going with just Cavani and untested Greenwood as strikers is a good idea.

Cavani is 34 and won't be as fresh as he was last season and Greenwood may well not be ready at all to lead the line currently.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not surprised if this turned out to be true. He's on £250k a week, if we're actually going to bring in top tier players like Sancho and possibly Varane then someone needs to make way. Martial's probably one of the few who's both dispensable and likely to make us a decent chunk of money. If it were up to me I'd keep him another year until we have our long term striker position locked down.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Both James and Martial offer different things to be fair. So it really depends on who's the oppositions are. Martial offers more variety in his game but against team like City, James tends to perform so effectively.
James is useful on the counter where he can use his kick & run. How many games do we have like that, maybe 4 a season? Martial was MOTM at the Etihad last season.

Gandalf

Not surprised if this turned out to be true. He's on £250k a week, if we're actually going to bring in top tier players like Sancho and possibly Varane then someone needs to make way. Martial's probably one of the few who's both dispensable and likely to make us a decent chunk of money. If it were up to me I'd keep him another year until we have our long term striker position locked down.
Swap him now plus cash for Kane or sell him next year and sign Mbappe for free!

AltiUn

James is a lot more useful, even if he is less skillful, as a late game sub versus tired defenders.
And he seems more happy with being a squad player than Martial does.
I don't think that's right at all. I don't really even see the use for James as a squad player. I think the idea of him running against tired defences works better in theory than it does in practice, he offers precious little when brought on as a substitute. He's only got 9 goals in 70 odd appearances since he joined. Even in his worst seasons, Martial still contributes more goals to the team than James does.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
James is useful on the counter where he can use his kick & run. How many games do we have like that, maybe 4 a season? Martial was MOTM at the Etihad last season.
And how many games Martial will play anyway with Sancho, Rashford, Pogba, Cavani on his way? At least with James, we will have something different.

AltiUn

Swap him now plus cash for Kane or sell him next year and sign Mbappe for free!
If Spurs were even slightly interested then I'd like to see us go for it. I still would love for us to go all out for Haaland next year though, he's my dream signing.

AltiUn

And how many games Martial will play anyway with Sancho, Rashford, Pogba, Cavani on his way? At least with James, we will have something different.
Depends which Martial turns up next season. You'd hope he'd be motivated to win his place back and reach the standard he did in 19/20. Even if he didn't give a toss about football, losing your place to a 34 year old must sting a little.

AltiUn

No problem for me personally but Spurs ? Really ? Is he going there to set on the bench for Kane and Son ?
You'd expect they view him as a replacement for Kane.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cavani is old & injury prone. He’ll play plenty. Ole doesn’t like Rashford down the middle & doesn’t play Mason much there either. Martial was his first choice before his injury.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some of the people saying sell him will excuse Ole if things go tits up cause of a lack of squad depth.
We need all the fire power we have. Let them compete.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Depends which Martial turns up next season. You'd hope he'd be motivated to win his place back and reach the standard he did in 19/20. Even if he didn't give a toss about football, losing your place to a 34 year old must sting a little.
Only if he can regain it.

Despite of James being more realistic to sell but if we sell Martial instead of James, we can have money to buy a new midfielder and free big wages for Pogba or new midfield.

AltiUn

Only if he can regain it.

Despite of James being more realistic to sell but if we sell Martial instead of James, we can have money to buy a new midfielder and free big wages for Pogba or new midfield.
Fair points.

Threesus

Sell him and let Greenwood cook. I don’t want Greenwood on the wings.

we can free up 250k in wages as well. And getting rid of other deadwood would keep us steady.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Get rid. He sulks and will spread negativity which is not a good thing.

I'd rather take a risk and buy someone for 20-30m who actually gives a shit.

Red_toad

Cavani is old & injury prone. He’ll play plenty. Ole doesn’t like Rashford down the middle & doesn’t play Mason much there either. Martial was the only choice before his injury.
Edited that for you!
Cavani will play unless he’s injured, then Mason will step in. History has shown Martial does not become motivated by being replaced in the team. Ole has shown a lot of faith in him. But now Sancho is signing, where does he fit in. Ole appreciates both Mason & Cavani as strikers and Martial needs to be first choice, or he’ll probably sulk. So there’s a dilemma to be solved

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He will play plenty of games, Cavani is not at his peak, so he won't be playing week in week out. We have only 2 CFs who can play at good level. Greenwood played his best football as a right wing forward and that's where he will play too, at least this season.

We will have Rashford, Sancho, Greendwood for wing position, with players like James floating around in and out of the match day squads. Martial is also good LW. So that's 4-5 options for wing position.

Then for CF we have Cavani, Martial and then Greenwood. We have few versatile players, so should get decent number of games.

Amad is the one who might get less than expected. Club should really make good decisions when it comes to younger players. If they think we have good depth then we can also loan him out, shouldn't be short of offers for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He will play plenty of games, Cavani is not at his peak, so he won't be playing week in week out. We have only 2 CFs who can play at good level. Greenwood played his best football as a right wing forward and that's where he will play too, at least this season.

We will have Rashford, Sancho, Greendwood for wing position, with players like James floating around in and out of the match day squads. Martial is also good LW. So that's 4-5 options for wing position.

Then for CF we have Cavani, Martial and then Greenwood. We have few versatile players, so should get decent number of games.

Amad is the one who might get less than expected. Club should really make good decisions when it comes to younger players. If they think we have good depth then we can also loan him out, shouldn't be short of offers for him.
Martial is a better centre forward though. Greenwood can’t hold the ball up.
If the tweet below is true which probably likely since we have heard lot of good things about Mason as his finishing ability from the manager himself, I don't see the future in Martial. If there is a club offers good/decent money and willing to take him away despite on high wages, it's perfect opportunity. Greenwood & Cavani are likely to be the rotation of our no 9 with Rashford as 3rd choice if needed next season if he leaves, thus, we will still be fine even if we lose Martial. If we do lose Martial means we will also have money to buy new midfield and use partial of Martial wages to add it on Pogba.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mason greenwood becoming a 20-30 goals / season striker????

What are they smoking.

I wanted it to be true, but scoring 20-30 goals is World class territory
They don't expect that to be next season. That's why we will see Cavani/Greenwood rotation probably. Next season might be used to see whether he can lead us in 2022/2023. 2022/2023, Mason will be 21. Kane scored his first 20 plus league goals when he was 21.

honirelandboy

Here six years and think its time he moved on.

Could free up money for Grealish or a center midfielder which is badly needed beside Pogba.

theklr

Cavani too old to play successive games and Greenwood still too young... need Martial to rotate with them. We need quality squad depth - he was our topscorer just two seasons ago