Martial agent looking for a new club for him

Pronewbie

Peep
For a player whos had one bad season and is 22 goals away from hitting the 100 club for united, all while spending half his United career on the wing or bench. The hate/unappreciation he receives on this forum by some is insane.

Truth is he will get enough minutes at the club - some of our fanbase need their brain checked. I've supported players like Rooney who had more than his fair share of Goal shy seasons at United (sometimes when we really needed him to step up and he didn't). Why because it's something proper fans do.

Coincedentally I've realised that it's more the internet than match going fans. ALL of the convos I had about him at the Leeds game, were fans hoping he can turn it around as opposed to the "get rid" of the WiFi fans.

I just hope the players understand that it's a really small portion who are just really loud.
That was the hope pre-Ronaldo. Circumstances change. I'd gladly see the back of Martial now if it means we strengthen our midfield while being sufficiently prudent with our finances.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If there was some sort of swap deal for a quality midfielder, it'd be a great move all round.

But these swap deals are so rare

OL29

And not trying hard enough, tbf. He looks uninterested, aloof and like he doesn't give a toss a lot of the time. You can forgive people for cutting him less slack than most.
I think a lot of people judge him on his demeanour to be honest, he seems pretty reserved which to some translates to not caring. And even so, it’s fair enough to call him lazy, but that still doesn’t warrant a lot of the personal abuse he gets. Despite what people think, he’s actually achieved more for this club than a lot of others, surely that warrants an ounce of respect.

OL29

Despite Martial probably being available, Juventus have signed Kean...

That says it all really
I don’t think it says anything actually, given the wage difference, the fact that Kean already played for Juve so there should be no language/cultural issues etc. This is what I’m talking about when I say some of you will use any excuse to bash Martial, as if his form over the last season isn’t enough of a reason.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rooney also played upfront for the majority of his career here tbf, Martials’s olued upfront for about 2 seasons I believe. Not that I’m trying to say Martial’s in the same league as Rooney but like @MasterCode said, the pure hatred Martial gets from a lot of people on this forum is very weird. He’s never disrespected the club or the fans, so I don’t know why he warrants such disdain, bar not being good enough.
It’s not pure hatred and it’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise. People are just sick of his attitude and lack of effort. Talent no longer cuts it in this team, you have to work your ass off at a minimum if you’re not going to score.

I posted his work rate stats compared to similar players recently and they were absolutely appalling. Embarrassing.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t think it says anything actually, given the wage difference, the fact that Kean already played for Juve so there should be no language/cultural issues etc. This is what I’m talking about when I say some of you will use any excuse to bash Martial, as if his form over the last season isn’t enough of a reason.
Not really, if Martial was the player some on here think he is, and Juventus also thought he could tear up the league they would have made a move to at least inquire about him, regardless of his wage. It's still less than they were paying Ronaldo.

Daonico

I don't hate Martial as some people here, I think martial is a good player, but not world class... I was against selling him because I considered we would need to get another striker if he left... well, now we have Ronaldo, I am ok with him staying providing further competition and all, but we need to get money some where, reduce the wage spenditure and squad numbers, he is not necesary anymore so is a great candidate for that.

I think there wasn't any interest because the club clearly wasn't interested in selling, but that might change now

Pickle85

I think a lot of people judge him on his demeanour to be honest, he seems pretty reserved which to some translates to not caring. And even so, it’s fair enough to call him lazy, but that still doesn’t warrant a lot of the personal abuse he gets. Despite what people think, he’s actually achieved more for this club than a lot of others, surely that warrants an ounce of respect.
Yeah, I agree that some of it is over the line. Unfortunately it's the nature of fandom. Particularly on the internet.

ghagua

It’s not pure hatred and it’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise. People are just sick of his attitude and lack of effort. Talent no longer cuts it in this team, you have to work your ass off at a minimum if you’re not going to score.

I posted his work rate stats compared to similar players recently and they were absolutely appalling. Embarrassing.
Well said. Who long does the team wait for him to show consistency? He blows hot and cold depending on his mood. He has been here long enough and is at an age where he should be tearing up the league with his skills. Also, the question arises, where is he going to play? We have Ronaldo for at least 2 years, Cavani for one more, plus we have Greenwood. On the wings, we have Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, and the emerging Elanga.

Find a taker for him and get rid of even if it means we don't get the transfer fee we are looking for.

OL29

Not really, if Martial was the player some on here think he is, and Juventus also thought he could tear up the league they would have made a move to at least inquire about him, regardless of his wage. It's still less than they were paying Ronaldo.
I’m sure you know that transfers are a lot more complicated than that. Even if Juve didn’t enquire about him (which we wouldn’t necessarily know about) there’s a million possible reasons for that. Using the fact that Martial hasn’t ended up at Juve as a criticism is just flimsy.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m sure you know that transfers are a lot more complicated than that. Even if Juve didn’t enquire about him (which we wouldn’t necessarily know about) there’s a million possible reasons for that. Using the fact that Martial hasn’t ended up at Juve as a criticism is just flimsy.
I'm aware how transfers work and I'm also pretty sure Romero would be all over Juventus sounding out Martial. Just simply saying that if he was any good, there's a bunch of top European clubs looking for a striker right now, none have even looked our way for him with the exception of Inter.

buchansleftleg

People sometimes said the same thing about players like Mark Hughes... not liking his body language on the pitch...too quiet....too reserved...not showing the passion etc.

However he always had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. He got his share of scrappy goals by following in on others shots and picking off rebounds.
He was always available to receive the ball, hold it up and then release it to a teammate bursting into the box.

He did the sort of things strikers have to do. He's remembered for all the stunning volleys of course, but he also did all the basics.

There's no set model of a striker, you can be slow and mercurial (Berbatov) or fiesty and terrier like (Tevez) or the big tall guy (Lewa) or the floaty drifter (Henry) but Martial offers none of these defined roles and most importantly offers no consistency.

If you don't know what you are going to get you can't build an effective attack. His time at the club has marked a period when inadequacy has been accepted and standards have fallen.

That should end now.

OL29

I'm aware how transfers work and I'm also pretty sure Romero would be all over Juventus sounding out Martial. Just simply saying that if he was any good, there's a bunch of top European clubs looking for a striker right now, none have even looked our way for him with the exception of Inter.
How many of those clubs can afford his wages? Does Martial want to leave? Can these clubs afford the fee United would ask for? Is CF a priority for these teams? And if so, are these teams convinced that CF is his best position?

Using the fact that Juve signed Kean is an extremely simplistic way of looking at things and just seems a bit irrational to be honest.

OL29

People sometimes said the same thing about players like Mark Hughes... not liking his body language on the pitch...too quiet....too reserved...not showing the passion etc.

However he always had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. He got his share of scrappy goals by following in on others shots and picking off rebounds.
He was always available to receive the ball, hold it up and then release it to a teammate bursting into the box.

He did the sort of things strikers have to do. He's remembered for all the stunning volleys of course, but he also did all the basics.

There's no set model of a striker, you can be slow and mercurial (Berbatov) or fiesty and terrier like (Tevez) or the big tall guy (Lewa) or the floaty drifter (Henry) but Martial offers none of these defined roles and most importantly offers no consistency.

If you don't know what you are going to get you can't build an effective attack. His time at the club has marked a period when inadequacy has been accepted and standards have fallen.

That should end now.
I didn’t know that some felt that way about Hughes to be honest, and I wouldn’t argue with the rest of your post.
Just to be clear, I have no issue with people not rating Martial, particularly in his current guise. I just think the disrespect and abuse he gets is unwarranted.

Alemar

I just think the disrespect and abuse he gets is unwarranted.
Perhaps not, but he is simply surplus to requirements. It doesn’t mean he is not a good player - it means we don’t need him at all, because we have many better attackers.

Pronewbie

Peep

That should end now.
Yes. And I don't understand how some are still backing him to stay when we have at least 3 players ahead of him even when he was at his peak (CR7, Cavani, Rashford). He's surplus to requirements and we have to plan for the future. The wages and fees we save on can be funneled into a new player with huge potential. Isn't that what the club is about, too?

SirAF

Ageist
Rooney also played upfront for the majority of his career here tbf, Martials’s olued upfront for about 2 seasons I believe. Not that I’m trying to say Martial’s in the same league as Rooney but like @MasterCode said, the pure hatred Martial gets from a lot of people on this forum is very weird. He’s never disrespected the club or the fans, so I don’t know why he warrants such disdain, bar not being good enough.
No one hates Martial, he’s just not good enough. He‘s had six years.

LoneStar

An optimistic point of view might be that Ronaldo’s added presence opens up some space for Martial to operate in and be more effective if he plays on the wing. We all know his dribbling ability is right up there on his day.
I fear for our midfielders if Ronaldo and Martial together start. A 36 year old will put more effort than him in pressing and playing with intensity. It's his lazy attitude that makes me want to get rid of him more than anything.

Pronewbie

Peep
There's no chance Martial starts with Ronaldo unless he works doubly hard defensively. We also have Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood ahead of him in the pecking order. A bit part player on his wages is unacceptable.

buchansleftleg

Watch the footage of Greenwoods goal against Wolves for a prime but of Martial action....as the ball goes in Martial appears doing his "I'm running" run that actually is slower than a fast walk and then continues to amble over to his teammates to celebrate.

The guy is a fraud . He's not fit to wear a training shirt, never mind hold down a place in our squad.

lsd

The Oracle
Fingers crossed he leaves. Getting rid of Martial would be even better than signing Ronaldo

RetroStu

As long as Cavani stays, i say get rid. He just doesnt want to play football, or not for us anyway.

Dempsey19

His lack of effort bemuses me. Berbatov wasnt fast and was classed as a lazy player , but that was how he played and he done a pretty good job of it. Martial has pace to burn but always looks like hes only hurrying for the bus.

I think he will go next year along with Mata/Lingard and that will free up massive wages to throw at Haaland.

Speako

Martial runs to chase down the ball, like I’d run into no mans land with a helmet and harsh words. Charlatan.

OL29

No one hates Martial, he’s just not good enough. He‘s had six years.
Hate may be extreme, but there is definite disdain. Look at the most recent posts in this thread, after a decent cameo at the weekend, he's being called a fraud, charlatan, doesn't want to play football etc. It's very ott for me.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Hate may be extreme, but there is definite disdain. Look at the most recent posts in this thread, after a decent cameo at the weekend, he's being called a fraud, charlatan, doesn't want to play football etc. It's very ott for me.
6 years and he's actually no better than he was when he first signed - arguably more of an asset as a 19 year old in Van Gaal's team. Is one of the highest earners in the squad if reports are to be believed.

I bear no hate, but I definitely would rather he wasn't a United player at this point if it was possible - especially based on his form last season pre-injury.

Please note - I was firmly Martial FC between 2015 and 2018 :devil:

OL29

6 years and he's actually no better than he was when he first signed - arguably more of an asset as a 19 year old in Van Gaal's team. Is one of the highest earners in the squad if reports are to be believed.

I bear no hate, but I definitely would rather he wasn't a United player at this point if it was possible - especially based on his form last season pre-injury.

Please note - I was firmly Martial FC between 2015 and 2018 :devil:
Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting him to be sold, his performances over the last year warrant it, the only issue I have is the constant torrent of disrespect.

OL29

And do you reckon Martial will fare better or worse than that this season?
Probably better if he gets a decent amount of game time, given that last year's tally was a bit of an anomaly for him in terms of goals scored.
Anyway, I just realised I was chatting shit anyway, Kean scored 17 goals last season for PSG, so maybe he is better at this point in time :lol: My mistake.

NotQuiteManc

If the presence doesn't change Martial's approach to his offensive game, I am not sure anything will really. Having said that, if Martial ended up staying, I am hopeful that the lack of playing time, and CR7's influences all around the club will *finally* wake him up.

justsomebloke

poleglass red

there seems to be a more professional aspect to the team. Players like Ronaldo, Varane, Fernandes and even Cavani. They will be more demanding of their teammates, we saw Varane giving Pogba a verbal lashing during the euros. When you play with that level of quality and their demands it surely has to motivate the players around them. Martial has talent, we know that, but games pass him by. You can argue injury, lack of form etc. His cameo at the weekend was okay, but it was an improvement from the previous week. He doesn't need to play centrally anymore, that's not his position. He looks more comfortable from the left. With the players we have now, he will have to play his way into the team and that could be good for him.

Redcy

Martial trouble has that he has never been that good Under pressure

Sviken

Laurie Whitwell on Twitter: "Manchester United not planning to entertain offers for Edinson Cavani or Anthony Martial. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants both forwards in his squad. #MUFC @TheAthleticUK https://t.co/QLMPmAcxV4" / Twitter

I must admit I groan inwardly at this (Martial, not Cavani). With DJ out and CR in, it's obvious that left wing is going to be his new main spot, and I just cannot bring myself to see that as possibly a good idea.
I don't get the club's insistence on Martial. He has been a nothing player ever since we brought him, except a small number of purple patches he's had over the years. Mourinho was absolutely right and we should have sold him a long time ago.