Martial Number Change Fallout

Woodzy

Smells like a load of shit to me. He has worn number 11 for France many times, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wanted/agreed to this.

Hammerfell

Martial may not, the marketing team behind him may. It is not irrelevant when you have the whole branding strategy planned out and maybe have already signed contracts with some clients, to endorse AM9.
Won't somebody please think of the marketing team?!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I quite literally didn't fight the Nazis just so young ingrates like Martial could throw a wobbly over shirt numbers. He wants locking up - they should get some soldiers in Iraq to ring up his mum and complain.

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
In a week when we are about to pay a world record £100million to buy back a former young star at the club this seems a little shortsighted.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Smells like a load of shit to me. He has worn number 11 for France many times, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wanted/agreed to this.
I agree with my fellow Welshman.

I seriously doubt Martial would be that childish to go into a hissy fit about it.

TsuWave

If Martial really did kick up a fuss about his squad number been taken, then I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine Keane or Scholes or Giggs having a meltdown over something like that? We need more players like them. Scholes came back and took number 22 and didn't bat an eyelid. Martial gets the iconic #11 shirt which was used by Giggs for 20+ years and he's upset over it? If that's the mentality he has, then I don't want him at our club. Although he's a good player, he's not "world class"... we've lost better and survived. It's not like he's irreplaceable like some people are acting.

And why are people having a go at Zlatan? Martial has been here 1 year. It's not like Zlatan came in and took Rooney's number 10. Besides, Martial wearing number 9 on the wing? What winger wears number 9 these days? The entire thing just sums up just about everything I hate in modern football. "Player branding", stressing over squad numbers, what color of boots they wear, what their hair looks like etc etc. The game is literally becoming a PR prima-donna parade. How many "REAL" footballers are there left?
we really need to get over this "can you imagine Keane or Scholes or Giggs" approach to things, football and times have changed a lot, romanticising how things used to be does nothing to address the reality of "now". Giggs shirt being iconic may not mean as much to Martial as it does to you. "We have lost better and survived" is also another terrible approach, the kid is arguably our best player with potential to get even better, and considering recent years, the club is not really in a position to lose this type of talent all because we have lost better and survived before. United's recent reality is 7th, 4th, 5th. Many shrugged at Pogba leaving and here we find ourselves about to break a few transfer records to bring him back in hopes it will propel us to past heights, and when he left he wasn't as good as martial is now.

Fact of the matter is clubs make money of players' images and the players, rightly so, exploit their branding to make money themselves. Football career is a short one and can end at any moment with a bad tackle, I certainly don't begrudge players trying to get the most out of their brand, and that's without mentioning that no one likes having something that's theirs taken and given to the new shiny toy, especially without being alerted of such thing happening. If true, it's bad form from the club.

This whole ordeal is highly speculative anyway. I don't think anything major will come out of this.

Reactions: SteveJ

Bugshot

Well, it brings great sorrow to me when I say this. It was a great time while he was here. PSG and Madrid will be following this story rubbing their willies.

NK86

Well, it brings great sorrow to me when I say this. It was a great time while he was here. PSG and Madrid will be following this story rubbing their willies.
:lol: The hyperbole in some of the posts is amazing.

Gopher Brown

I suspect it's all sensationalism, but it's a foolish player who would base his 'brand' on something as ephemeral as a squad number. It won't be hard to change it, it won't damage his 'brand' in any significant way.

RedStarUnited

:lol: The hyperbole in some of the posts is amazing.
Absolutely crazy.

Course I am a Martial fan theres no "supposed" about it. I just like perspective. We can all go crazy saying hes owed this that and the other amd its disrespectful but my arguement is simple "respect is earnt" as is the ability to claim a number or spot in the team.

Dont get me wrong. Its clear to me that Martial is probably the crowning jewel of our team even still with all the signings. BUT he is not the forat kid to rock up to OT making claims for himself and demamding numbers due to branding (if reports are true). Now i get being pissed about it all. It sucks. You were no.9 big Zlatan turns up and now your no.11. Boohoo. What he needs to know is that he would still be an unknown in the frnech league throwing up meaningless numbers. Its us that made hin a household name. Its us who put him on the map. Things like this woll happen to all you g players and its part of the game to take it on the chin and carry on. It is a number ffs and hes inherited one with ALOT more history behind it.

The point I make is no player in his position one year into joining should bat an eye lid at this. Pogba didnt cry with all the changes to his team shirt no. Niether did Ronald or shaw so why would he.
Im still astounded by your lack of understanding on respect in a workplace. Wether you want to admit it or not, Martial is just as important to Uniteds immediate future as United are important to his career so far.

Litch

Sorry but this isn't the dog n' duck. Do people really think that Martial wouldn't be consulted? Image rights is a massive part of transfers and contracts.

Martial wouldnt have registered a trademark unless it's been specified in his image rights that he'd always have the 9 shirt. Utd aren't going to agree to that anymore than breaching that by giving it to another player.

It's just more made up bullshit IMO

parisite

No Martial in that. He's off. :wenger:
In fact Martial can be seen wearing the new shirt (way before it's official presentation) in some FM16 advert or other. Caused a bit of a kerfuffle in certain circles.

peridigm

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the number announcement posted by the club say "preliminary"?

peridigm

Yes but Ibra also posted on Instagram saying that he chose the #9. So it's pretty official.
Just checked and it says provisional so basically the same meaning. Martial could end up with 7 if Depay is sold. Doubt he was stripped of the number without being asked though.

Camilo

We should because those are the people who will be advising him to leave us when another opportunity arises.

I really dont get how you cant see that?
Seeing that assumes Martial is an immature, spiteful moron. I'm sure he's not. If we have a player with as delicate a mind as you suggest I wouldn't want him in the team.

All the posts about his marketing team being annoyed, and his brand being hurt! It's really ridiculous that any fan would give it a seconds notice. Nobody gives a shit. I remember cantona was 7 and giggs was 11, and Ronaldo has pushed his brand 7 thing up out arses for years, but anyone else? I don't even know what number Messi is. I don't care.

Aporkalypse

Said provisional but they're not going to change numbers like Martial again. People who bought the latest shirt would go crazy.
People have already bought the away shirt with MARTIAL 9 though. Club have bollocksed it right up.

Oldham

I wish they would scrap all this nonsense. Numbers 1 thru 11 for the team on the day - 12 thru 18 for the bench.

I think I may be a little old fashioned ☹
That'd be amazing to see, the starting 11 with 1-11...like in the old days. Must be 25-30 years ago?

parisite

People have already bought the away shirt with MARTIAL 9 though. Club have bollocksed it right up.
This is what having players like Zlatan in the group does for you. He wants to rule the roost and always be right and have his own way over everything. Good player, horrid personality.
Emery certainly wouldn't have tolerated him at PSG. As it is their players are lining up to slag off Blanc for being a poor coach and letting Zlatan do whatever he wanted.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Isn't Martial's agent Mendes? Could this be Mendes applying some pressure on Mourinho to buy some of his players, besides the 4 priority signings? Their relationship doesn't see as good as it once was...

RuudTom83

Stories like these remind me of SAF saying there is never a dull day at United, there is always something to create a drama out of and make headlines.

Holy feck this is a non-story but it will be discussed to death!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is what having players like Zlatan in the group does for you. He wants to rule the roost and always be right and have his own way over everything. Good player, horrid personality.
It would be the first time he asks for a number. If you really want to blame someone look at the marketing department, they probably want to see Martial wear one of the iconic number.

JPRouve

Scout
Isn't Martial's agent Mendes? Could this be Mendes applying some pressure on Mourinho to buy some of his players, besides the 4 priority signings? Their relationship doesn't see as good as it once was...
No his agent isn't Mendes.

Hed Zitin

Zlatan should of been given any old number. He'll be here for one season anyway.

Poor from the club if they didn't inform him and judging by his social media they didn't.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Emery certainly wouldn't have tolerated him at PSG. As it is their players are lining up to slag off Blanc for being a poor mcoach and lettingEZlatan do whatever he wanted.
If this causes any trouble at all with Martial then we shouldn't have even bothered with Ibrahimovic. He needs to realise he doesn't just walk in here and think he's the top dog, but people at the club have obviously bent over for him.

Like i said a while ago, Zlatan is just a cock.

parisite

It would be the first time he asks for a number. If you really want to blame someone look at the marketing department, they probably want to see Martial wear one of the iconic number.
Not true, he jumped on the number 10 at PSG the instant Nene left for Qatar. He was number 18 before that. In fact he was number 10 in Ligue 1 and 18 in the CL that year because numbers can't be changed after a certain date in the CL.

JPRouve

Scout
Not true, he jumped on the number 10 at PSG the instant Nene left for Qatar. He was number 18 before that. In fact he was number 10 in Ligue 1 and 18 in the CL that year because numbers can't be changed after a certain date in the CL.
It's true then.

Ban

Emery certainly wouldn't have tolerated him at PSG. As it is their players are lining up to slag off Blanc for being a poor coach and letting Zlatan do whatever he wanted.
Really, that happened?
Links?
Are you sure Zlatan asked for number?

JPRouve

Scout
Really, that happened?
Links?
Are you sure Zlatan asked for number?
When the number was free, he took it. Like Ronaldo took Raul's number when he left but neither took the number of a teammate.