Martin Ødegaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I think people are wrong to assume he'll go to Barca or Madrid right away. He'll want to play first team football right away. Seems like Ajax or another team that guarantees CL football and first-team play right away would make the most sense. Then keep improving, become a top Eredivisie player by 18 or 19 and get a move to a CL contending club when he won't sit on the bench. Or go to a stable Europa League level club in a top league with a good manager and likely playing time position like Lyon, Roma, Fiorentina, Everton, Tottenham, Wolfsburg, Mainz, Valencia, Sevilla, or Sociedad. You would maybe guess an English or German side with him being Norwegian, but who the hell knows.

Hopefully we start to sign top young players like this, and it's promising that he's been here as a trialist and now Van Gaal is here with his reputation for helping develop young players. If we're not going to get top players due to location and missing out on the CL for at least one season, it definitely makes sense to spend more money on ones for the future.

NoPace

It's strange that we have a talent in Norway which almost can be compared to Messi
He's a tiny, left-footed dribbler who seems to have great quality in his short passing. He plays more like Messi, superficially, in highlights than anyone else I can think.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It's strange that we have a talent in Norway which almost can be compared to Messi
Yep. We don't produce those kind of players so will be exciting to follow him over the next few years. Also brilliant you tube comment from him.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If he was smart he wouldn't go to Barça, Real, City, Chelsea, or any other 'big' club.

He'd be better off at Ajax or somewhere similar where he can develop under people that are used to bringing forward great players.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
If he was smart he wouldn't go to Barça, Real, City, Chelsea, or any other 'big' club.

He'd be better off at Ajax or somewhere similar where he can develop under people that are used to bringing forward great players.
Barcelona and Real Madrid aren't used to bringing forward great players?

matherto

Molde is great but Ålesund is even nicer IMO. Beautiful in fact. If you ever go to Molde you should go to this city as well. It's close by.
This is their old stadium.

Basically, Norway is absolutely beautiful. :)

matherto

Barcelona and Real Madrid aren't used to bringing forward great players?
Barça are but they bring so many through from La Masia that the chances of getting lost in the pack and never making it far outweigh the chance of being the next big thing.

Real are basically a graveyard for young talents. Even the ones they bring in for big bucks struggle. Isco, Illaramendi, etc. Why anyone who isn't an established superstar would go there I have no idea.

Redo91

Barça are but they bring so many through from La Masia that the chances of getting lost in the pack and never making it far outweigh the chance of being the next big thing.

Real are basically a graveyard for young talents. Even the ones they bring in for big bucks struggle. Isco, Illaramendi, etc. Why anyone who isn't an established superstar would go there I have no idea.
Canales is another that immediately springs to mind although they didn't pay much for him. He was seen as the next big thing in Spanish football but they signed Ozil the same summer and he hardly got a chance. While Varane has been given some opportunities he should clearly be starting ahead of Pepe. He is incredibly talented for his age and is already a better CB than Pepe.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
City's good relationship with Stromsgodset could prove pivotal in any potential move for him. He certainly seems talented enough to become a truly world class player.

matherto

City's good relationship with Stromsgodset could prove pivotal in any potential move for him. He certainly seems talented enough to become a truly world class player.
Would be utterly horrible if you got him.

As soon as he signs his name he'll be thrown in the wasted talent pile.

Redo91

Why? If he's good enough, he'd play.
No he wouldn't. Teams with money to burn like yourselves, Chelsea and Real just don't give young players a chance no matter how talented they are. Nastasic was very highly rated when he joined a few summers back and now it looks like he is out the door. I remember when Micah Richards came on the scene I thought he would become a fantastic CB or RB but then along came all the money and that put an end to that. It's a shame as 10 years ago or so City were producing lots of good talents and were giving them opportunities as they didn't have the money to buy proven superstars like they do now.

I'm not just saying this because ye are one of our rivals either. I would totally understand if Odegaard ended up at the likes of Arsenal or Liverpool as they are teams that have proven over the years that they are willing to give youngsters a chance. However if he joins the likes of City, Chelsea or Real his career will likely have stalled by the time he reaches 20.

lysglimt

Scout
The ideal as I see it - if he leaves in the next 2 years would be Holland yes. But of course I would prefer to get him at United :)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Would think Arsenal would have the biggest chance of landing him of all the English clubs, if they're interested and it's a free market that the kid doesn't have his heart set on joining his 'dream' club or being motivated by money.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would think Arsenal would have the biggest chance of landing him of all the English clubs, if they're interested and it's a free market that the kid doesn't have his heart set on joining his 'dream' club or being motivated by money.
Why arsenal in particular? United, Liverpool and arsenal are all you'd places for young players to be amongst English clubs. Liverpool of late are developing kids like sterling very well, we have are historically one of the great clubs for young players and LVG is sort of outstanding in this regard too.

We should go all out to sign this kid. He looks ridiculously good for a 15 year old. He's doing that stuff in the top flight ffs.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Arsenal would be a good place for him alright: no pressure to get results or win titles, no defensive responsibilities and you just have to play a couple of slide-rule passes every now and then to keep the Gooner faithful happy. Job's a good'un!

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Believe me, this is NOT how it looks like just any random day :P
Oh c'mon, of alle the summers I've been in Norway, I've never experienced consistenly shitty weather. I have loads of sunny and beautiful pictures of Norway, a lot of the summers there I've even had better weather than in Germany in the same period.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
I would think Liverpool have the best chance, since he's a Liverpool supporter.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I think any of the big english clubs would be the wrong decision, given their reputation for wasting foreign talent.
He's so young, he should enjoy 5-6 years in France or Germany before. He will be 21 then, still young enough then to go to the Premier League, probably equipped with loads of experience at this point.

Redo91

People were saying the same thing about Shaw going to Chelsea this summer. Ole and John O'Shea were also Liverpool supporters. Who a player supports doesn't have that much of a bearing on where they play. Factors such as money, chances of success and the location of the club are bigger factors. It's fair to say that Liverpool would lose out to plenty of clubs based on that criteria.

quackattack

Oh c'mon, of alle the summers I've been in Norway, I've never experienced consistenly shitty weather. I have loads of sunny and beautiful pictures of Norway, a lot of the summers there I've even had better weather than in Germany in the same period.
Might be, but it just feels like there is constantly, not nice weather here (and I live pretty close to Molde as well).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think any of the big english clubs would be the wrong decision, given their reputation for wasting foreign talent.
He's so young, he should enjoy 5-6 years in France or Germany before. He will be 21 then, still young enough then to go to the Premier League, probably equipped with loads of experience at this point.
Yep. We ruined that Ronaldo lad.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
People were saying the same thing about Shaw going to Chelsea this summer. Ole and John O'Shea were also Liverpool supporters. Who a player supports doesn't have that much of a bearing on where they play. Factors such as money, chances of success and the location of the club are bigger factors. It's fair to say that Liverpool would lose out to plenty of clubs based on that criteria.
I'm not denying any of these. I think that he would do best in going to a slightly smaller league, such as the Eredivisie. I'm just saying that if he was given the opportunity to play for Liverpool and he felt that he actually stood a chance at playing time, I think he would jump at the opportunity.

Blodssvik

There is a reason Norway is the home of Black Metal. Weather and climate plays a big part. Personally I think it's a part of Norway's beauty with fog, rain, wind, frost and snow.

Occasionally the scandinavians defy their disadvantages and excel in football though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Arsenal would be a good place for him alright: no pressure to get results or win titles, no defensive responsibilities and you just have to play a couple of slide-rule passes every now and then to keep the Gooner faithful happy. Job's a good'un!
Why arsenal in particular? United, Liverpool and arsenal are all you'd places for young players to be amongst English clubs. Liverpool of late are developing kids like sterling very well, we have are historically one of the great clubs for young players and LVG is sort of outstanding in this regard too.

We should go all out to sign this kid. He looks ridiculously good for a 15 year old. He's doing that stuff in the top flight ffs.
For all the reasons nahealai pointed out plus the fact Wenger has no qualms about dropping youngsters straight into his first team and can present a lot of examples of doing so, persevering with and reaping the rewards of it in the more recent past than any other top club in England.

Arsenal are also renowned for paying huge sums to young players, which is another bonus.

There's also the potential to use them as a stepping stone, which is probably something the Gooners on here wouldn't like to see me type, but they've been used as a platform for a good few years now and until they buck that trend by warding off the bigger clubs, there's no reason to assume that's not still the case.

If you think about it from the perspective of a young talent, they give them every single thing they need to succeed and have a manager who actively (perhaps even overly) encourages expression even in lieu of results.
I'd hope there's more to a potential world star's thought process than that...

khoazany

I'm still not totally sold on by him.However I think United and Bayern have the biggest chance to land him among big clubs if they want to splash the cash.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was going to make some comment about Solskjaer being a potential idol and therefore having a word in his ear- then i remembered he was 5 months old when Ole poked past Kahn in Barcelona. :nervous:

lysglimt

Scout
I'm still not totally sold on by him.However I think United and Bayern have the biggest chance to land him among big clubs if they want to splash the cash.
Ehm...quite! He is 15 years old - and you are not sold on him ? If Stromsgodset put him up for sale at £5 million - there would probably be 50 clubs who would be interested in signing him, including more than half the premiership

khoazany

Ehm...quite! He is 15 years old - and you are not sold on him ? If Stromsgodset put him up for sale at £5 million - there would probably be 50 clubs who would be interested in signing him, including more than half the premiership
He show some terrific abilities and I'm definitely not writing off him by any mean but he has a long long way to go from the little I've watched - understandably given his age but looks at the hype you would think he's already nailed on to be the next Ronaldo.I also don't think he's nailed on to be a better talent than Daehli (I've seen the comparison somewhere not sure where it was).

Status
Not open for further replies.