Martinez and Varane official injury update | Martinez out for rest of season, Varane a few weeks

RuudTom83

Expectations for the remainder of the season change massively after losing these two. (Plus Rashford and Garnacho)

Top 4 and the Carabao Cup.

Can’t see the squad being deep enough to get to the final in the FA Cup or Europa.

Capwn

Sounds dramatic but I don't disagree, last year's nightmares coming back with de gea, lindelof and Maguire trying to play out from the back.
Exactly. One of the biggest reasons our team has gotten better is because of the trio of the two CB's and Casemiro. Losing one is replaceble and even when that happens it is noticible. Losing two of them is horrible and losing all 3 literally kills the team in the long run.

We need Casemiro for the last part of the season. Cause he's the only one who could make our other CB's look good and take pressure of them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Now the seasons just about limping to top 4 really. Martinez is PoTY as things stand for me.

Btw is Martinez’ injury something that affects the player long term / is tough to come back from or do players do it all the time and it’s only about the recovery time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Now the seasons just about limping to top 4 really. Martinez is PoTY as things stand for me.

Btw is Martinez’ injury something that affects the player long term / is tough to come back from or do players do it all the time and it’s only about the recovery time.
It's just a fractured metatarsal, so a bone, it's just about giving it time to heal properly. Not a huge deal. Tendon/ligament injuries and muscle tears are all far worse.

Ludens the Red

We’re in serious bother with these injuries. It can’t be understated just how much this team drops off when you have pieces of that core missing. I’d be amazed if we got through those cup games next week but at this stage I’d take top 4 and nothing else and genuinely would be quite happy.

always_hoping

Such a shame to lose Martinez for the business end of the season, his quality and leadership will be greatly missed. Hopefully Varane is back as soon as possible.

Matson

It's obviously a huge miss and will hurt us but you lot need to relax with the season ending drama. With the players we have we're still capable of doing well this season including winning another trophy. It's going to be interesting to see how we do in the second leg of Europe. I feel like that will be a defining moment to show what we can achieve with the players we have left.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maguire and Lindelof have had good periods together in the past. Hopefully they can do that again, and having Casemiro in front of them does give them more protection than they had in previous seasons. Of course, they've also had utterly dreadful periods together...

Shaw will also play in the centre in some games. Perhaps even most of the games if Malacia does well on the left (unlike he did against Sevilla).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Rashford (praise the lord I was wrong) and Casemiro neck and neck just behind Martínez. Jeez he’s a beast though. Next season bodes well if ETH can continue his recruitment drive getting more characters like this into the club. He’s also entering his prime and seems to love the club which cant be understated. I love to see a player compete that hard. If martial did he’d be world class

Sir Erik ten Hag

We go again next season! (Whether it's the Champions League or Europa League again is up to the players)

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To lose both CB's in one game is incredibly unlucky.
There is not much we can do, we've seen teams melted down to ashes when losing both their starting center backs, hope it's not the case with us. We were conceding goals even with Varane-Martinez now with Lindeguire in theory, we should concede even more theoretically, but football just doesn't work that way, we must wait and see. Maybe a change in approach will help, sit deeper, play counter attacking football might help, that's how Ole played when the above mentioned partnership worked at it's best.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Varane's "few weeks" could be the rest of the season given there are only " a few weeks" left.

Agree with those saying no way we can win the two cups... will be tough to finish in the top four given we still have to go to Spurs and Brighton and we don't know if Rashford will be fit for those. I'd say finishing top four will be a huge achievement, which is what I said at the start of the season – and it will be "good enough" for me in ETH's first season (the mickey mouse cup is a bonus).

We absolutely have to beat Forest, West Ham, Bournemouth, Villa and Fulham. I'm guessing we'll need to get something from the Chelsea game too and have to hope that they haven't hit some sort of form by then.

It's good news that Newcastle also have to play Spurs and have Arsenal (who might just be able to win the title that day - PS no one ever trusts my maths, with good reason!). We might just be looking for the scousers to do us a favour against Spurs too - that'll be the day they decide to play like the U-11 donkey team

Dan_F

Exactly. One of the biggest reasons our team has gotten better is because of the trio of the two CB's and Casemiro. Losing one is replaceble and even when that happens it is noticible. Losing two of them is horrible and losing all 3 literally kills the team in the long run.

We need Casemiro for the last part of the season. Cause he's the only one who could make our other CB's look good and take pressure of them.
We finished third and second in the league with Maguire and Lindelof as first choice centre backs previously. There’s enough there for a better manager than Ole to finish top four and win the Europa.

Red_Aaron

I was fearing the worst but it's still dreadful news to wake up to

For me Shaw has to play CB rest of the season, he's shown this year to be better than both Maguire and Lindelof and is the only one with any kind of recovery pace. It means losing him from full back of course but needs must

We really need the top end of the field to drag us to the finish line now

The Dane

I like Varane but god damn he is almost as bad as Martial when it comes to injuries. It’s difficult to build a team around players who you know will have 2-3 injury spells of various length during a season.
I know they cannot all be like Fernandes but it is really something to consider when buying new players and extending contract's with current players.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
We might limp past Sevilla and Brighton, but I can’t see us having enough to go all the way now. Gloomy as it sounds, we’d do well just to cement 4th from here.
This. Also no guarantee we won't continue to get more injuries. Shut up shop and focus finishing top 4 is my thinking

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We should still make the final of the FA cup and the semi of the europa.

We played most of the tougher games in league as well. If shaw and varane can play soon, then we should at least make top 4.

I just hope we give more game time to lindelof over maguire.

Dribbles

Where were Lisandro's team mates to help him off the pitch? Why did they let his country men carry him off in a rush so they could keep their momentum going?

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I wish this season was over already. My own team having a disastrous season we haven't seen in two decades and my adopted team could see it all slip through its fingers. Crap season.

JPB

I would be willing to give Jones another chance instead of Maguire and Lindelof.

BuzzKillington

Brighton and Spurs. And potentially any game in the PL is difficult. We've dropped points to Southampton, Palace, Leeds, Brentford, Villa.
Difficult is admittedly subjective, but we should be aiming to get a draw at least against spurs without our strongest line up. No, it’s not ideal, but the fixture list in the league is as kind as you could realistically hope for. 4/5 wins and a couple of draws from our remaining 9 games should be enough for top 4 and isn’t a massive ask, even with Maguire at centre half.

Rake

Terrible, terrible news... While I love Varane, Martinez is surely my PotY. We will sorely miss his composure and passing through the lines.

Hopefully Shaw can play the LCB position. The thought of Maguire and Lindelof being our CBs for multiple games gives me the creeps.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
So annoying. Have to hope that Maguire and Lindeløf actually perform at a good level.

We do seem to miss out key players more that other teams. Anyone have a clue if this is correct?

Martin(6)Buchan

Seems this season that anytime we seem to be getting somewhere we get jinxed, but this combo of Maguire / Lindelof does not fill me with any hope of keeping another clean sheet, that is unless DDG have a worldie on any given day.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
How is that a good thing?
I was ironic, we won’t even have the ‘dreaded’ Maguire and Lindelof against Brighton, and it’s not like these two are a miracle of health either, seems especially like Lindelof have had a lot of issues the last years.

When you think about it, it’s kind of scary because we have almost two months left of football — which logically should carry exponential risk of us picking up injuries given the mileage of the team. Shaw, Rafa and Martinez are already out. That hurts. But we still got three guys who can play CB (Vic, Harry and Cas). But it’s not like it’s 1 in a million that we will get a couple of more injuries there… What is next? Malacia-McT at CB?

Man-United

Not worried with Lindelof at all. The way he played against Leicester in his last start for us was superb. Maguire's also been very good last games.

ShinjiNinja26

Fecking bollocks! How often have we actually been able to play our best eleven this season? Seems like every time we get close we lose another couple of players.