Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Kid looks great in that compilation @Raees, what is his bottom level like?

I'd play him centrally behind Rashford/Martial left forward and Lukaku/Lingard right forward. He seems to have a better brain than any of them as far as creativity and movement are concerned.

In Rainbows

I'd play him centrally behind Rashford/Martial left forward and Lukaku/Lingard right forward. He seems to have a better brain than any of them as far as creativity and movement are concerned.
Hard to say what his bottom level is. He's been incredibly consistent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It’s tough to know right now, but he’s been averaging 1 goal a game so far in the u18s and reserves. Obviously the men’s is a big step up, but he looks at home already in the few short minutes he got.

We need to see him a few more times to see what he lacks at the top level.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Because his technique is relatively flawless in the context of his age group he has a very high bottom level - even on a bad day he’s unlikely to miscontrol the ball or hit silly passes time and time again.

The only area of his game which slightly misfires on a bad day is his dribbling (tendency to over do it and run into traffic) but even then he will usually show some restraint and go into passing mode and carry the ball in a more risk averse manner.

Truth is you can only judge him properly once he makes the step up as the level he is playing at is too easy for him quite frankly. He needs to play against men.

Cliche Guevara

Given his age loan him to a top Championship club next season and hope he can rattle in 20+ goals.

Then bring him into the squad the season after.

deafepl

Given his age loan him to a top Championship club next season and hope he can rattle in 20+ goals.

Then bring him into the squad the season after.
I think Swansea would be good for him, they are playing open football and dominate games so he can see more of balls. Swansea needs a finisher to burn chances.

jesperjaap

Reminds me of a cross between RVP amd Rivaldo, if he can go on to be anywhere the level of either we have a player on our hands. Same time, youth football to senior football is a huge step up, he looks a huge talent so expectations not surprising, but lets give him time, too early to suggest him being the answer to some of our problems

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree with this, especially with Rahsford slowly turning into a winger wizard.

This team also needs pure and ruthless goalscoring outlets if ever thinking about title challenge.
Rashford isn't a wing wizard and will never be. He's best suited to playing either centrally or as an inside wide forward.

Adam-Utd

Reminds me of a cross between RVP amd Rivaldo, if he can go on to be anywhere the level of either we have a player on our hands. Same time, youth football to senior football is a huge step up, he looks a huge talent so expectations not surprising, but lets give him time, too early to suggest him being the answer to some of our problems
Sometimes these players actually get better when playing with men/better players also. Look at Pogba, he was stagnating a bit in the reserves as he was better than everybody. 6 months of first team football he looked a star.

I think Greenwood will do the same thing, he's already better than most reserve teams, he won't learn anything more staying at that level. It seems he's made that transition now, I hope Ole keeps him in the first team.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Rashford isn't a wing wizard and will never be. He's best suited to playing either centrally or as an inside wide forward.
His goals against Pool and Brighton showed he's quite comfortable on the left side and he does love to beat defenders with trickery, even if it's simple trick like that one against Demichelis. I don't think he's scoring enough just yet to be more of a central threat, but this season he should definitely break the 10 goals barrier in the PL.

I imagine if Ole will promote Greenwood permanently, he may have similar number of talented strikers SAF had and that definitely should help outscore opponents in near or distant future.

Thiagoal

His goals against Pool and Brighton showed he's quite comfortable on the left side and he does love to beat defenders with trickery, even if it's simple trick like that one against Demichelis. I don't think he's scoring enough just yet to be more of a central threat, but this season he should definitely break the 10 goals barrier in the PL.

I imagine if Ole will promote Greenwood permanently, he may have similar number of talented strikers SAF had and that definitely should help outscore opponents in near or distant future.
I actually agree; I'd prefer to see Rashford on the left- cutting into the centre. This is how CR7 developed his game until he became prolific! His pace and trickery in wide areas would be more use to us at the moment imo. Greenwood can do the same form the right hand-side then we have room for Lukaku or a new- top class- striker in the same bracket of an Aguero/ Kane.

pascell

Or somewhere like Preston where he can still stay at home.
I went to watch Preston away at Blackburn last weekend and I'd suggest we keep him away from them. They heavily rely on their CBs as they hoof the ball up the pitch a lot, they also have Maguire and Stockley, who I doubt they'd drop for Greenwood as they're the key players going forward for PNE.

I think Greenwood is just fine where he is, I think he'll feature still until the end of the season.

Aloysius's Back 3

I actually agree; I'd prefer to see Rashford on the left- cutting into the centre. This is how CR7 developed his game until he became prolific! His pace and trickery in wide areas would be more use to us at the moment imo. Greenwood can do the same form the right hand-side then we have room for Lukaku or a new- top class- striker in the same bracket of an Aguero/ Kane.
This is what needs to happen.

Let Rashford cut in from the left and Greenwood from the right

Let Martial play centre false nine as a player that drops back to get the ball to feet. His goal in Cardiff shows what he needs to be doing to up his game.

Martial on the left and Rashford on the right is too easy to defend against.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yup but Amolbhatia50k got a point as most of goals Rash scoring is by storming through central sector like a proper number 9 or 10, however imo we simply cannot ignore all of his qualities. United used to have some of the most cracking wingers on the planet and speaking of CR7, there's also obvious similarity in free kick technique and I love the fact that Sancho is inspired by the lad.

If Greenwood can sustain high amount of scoring goals from right hand-side like you said earlier then it's a bright perspective for the future, especially with keeping in mind strong interest in Sancho and realising T-Chong's potential.

jesperjaap

Sometimes these players actually get better when playing with men/better players also. Look at Pogba, he was stagnating a bit in the reserves as he was better than everybody. 6 months of first team football he looked a star.

I think Greenwood will do the same thing, he's already better than most reserve teams, he won't learn anything more staying at that level. It seems he's made that transition now, I hope Ole keeps him in the first team.
I agree he appears above the level he is playing and has to be given opportunities within the squad. There are very few teenagers can make an instant step up and shine though. He needs opportunities, also needs time, think people are so excited about him seeing him as an instant saviour, which of course is possible but lets not expect too much too soon, which can also go to a lesser degree with Chong and Gomes amongst others too

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Very strange to want to loan him. Chong looks like a nervous wreck when he plays, but Greenwood looks right at home. His touch is good, he dribbled at players as soon as he could, his timing of tackles was good. In his 10 minutes against Arsenal he looked miles better than Rashford did the whole game.

Bwuk

He should go on loan if he’s not going to feature in the first team regularly. He’s too good for reserve level.

The Nani

He should go on loan if he’s not going to feature in the first team regularly. He’s too good for reserve level.
Carling Cup, early CL or Europa matches, FA Cup and cover for the league. There’s a substantial role there next season. Traning with the first team is important as well. Why would we loan the messiah.

haram

You can develop by training with the team. You don't have to throw every young player out on loan.

sherrinford

Carling Cup, early CL or Europa matches, FA Cup and cover for the league. There’s a substantial role there next season. Traning with the first team is important as well. Why would we loan the messiah.
We certainly wouldn’t do that with early European games.

Sporadic games where we are resting players in the league and domestic cups that we aren’t taking particularly seriously is not a substantial role.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure why few want every talented player to be loaned out, few even wanted Rashford to go out of loan this season.

He is good enough to play squad role and cup games. We shouldn't loan him out and rely on some other club to develop him for us.

MrBest

Anyone know whether he has recovered from his injury/illness. I am hoping he will get game time on Sat, starting to see what the fuss has been about.

Adam-Utd

Anyone know whether he has recovered from his injury/illness. I am hoping he will get game time on Sat, starting to see what the fuss has been about.
He only had a bit of a cold so i'd imagine he's fine now. Probably been training with the rest of the lads over the INT break. I'd expect him to be with the first team to make his OT debut.

The Nani

We certainly wouldn’t do that with early European games.

Sporadic games where we are resting players in the league and domestic cups that we aren’t taking particularly seriously is not a substantial role.
Says who. We used to use the early group stages to rotate all the time under Fergie. But then I don't claim to have a crystal ball.

And more to point, for an unproven 18 year old, that is a fantastic role and opportunity. If he takes his chances, his role will increase exponentially. The same happened rather recently with Rashford who wasn't nearly as highly rated. Loaning him out to do the business for someone else would be stupid considering his talent.

sherrinford

Says who. We used to use the early group stages to rotate all the time under Fergie. But then I don't claim to have a crystal ball.

And more to point, for an unproven 18 year old, that is a fantastic role and opportunity. If he takes his chances, his role will increase exponentially. The same happened rather recently with Rashford who wasn't nearly as highly rated. Loaning him out to do the business for someone else would be stupid considering his talent.
Come on. Our European games will be a priority as they always are. The only time Fergie rotated was once we’d secured progression out of the group stages - do you really see us romping the first four games next season and giving ourselves the opportunity to relax with the last two?

Yes, for an unproven 18 year old it is certainly a great opportunity. Not a substantial role though, by any means. Your now talking about that role increasing exponentially if he does well, which probably indicates that you actually know there’s not much there for him as it stands.

I’m not saying I want him to be loaned out or anything like that. It’s just that you’re kidding yourself on if you think a couple of games in cups we care less about so important players are rested for league games, or in the league so important players are well rested for the cup games we do care about, is in any way a significant role in the first team.

Ibi Dreams

Probably already been posted but I don’t think I’ve seen such a complete forward produced by United.

Just hope he stays injury free and gets a proper run in the side.
Looks very talented in that video, but I'm not really good at judging these things. Everyone seems to think he is absolutely nailed on to be a very good player, but how does what he is doing there compare to what people like Januzaj and Wilson were doing? People seemed to think those two were definitely going to make it too

Treble

Looks very talented in that video, but I'm not really good at judging these things. Everyone seems to think he is absolutely nailed on to be a very good player, but how does what he is doing there compare to what people like Januzaj and Wilson were doing? People seemed to think those two were definitely going to make it too
Some people were comparing Januzaj to...Cruyff. On the basis of 10 games. It's very easy to get carried away when it comes to bigging up youngish players. There is not much evdience about their true ability and character and wishful imagination is soaring.

Classical Mechanic

Some people were comparing Januzaj to...Cruyff. On the basis of 10 games. It'e very easy to get carried away when it comes to bigging up youngish players. There is not much evdience about their true ability and character and wishful imagination is soaring.
My perception is that technical ability isn't that hard to judge. Januzaj, for example, has a high level of technical ability. What you can't judge is character which is where Januzaj seemingly has big problems, he's supposed to be arrogant and entitled. Warren Joyce said that him Macheda and Wilson all stopped trying in training once they'd made their break through.

The other aspect of character is the ability to handle pressure, player's like Mickey Thomas, Liam Millar and Obertan were crushed by the weight of the United shirt.

Greenwood has ability in spades, his technical qualities are very high level. Hopefully he has the work ethic, desire and self belief to make the most of those gifts.

Treble

My perception is that technical ability isn't that hard to judge. Januzaj, for example, has a high level of technical ability. What you can't judge is character which is where Januzaj seemingly has big problems, he's supposed to be arrogant and entitled. Warren Joyce said that him Macheda and Wilson all stopped trying in training once they'd made their break through.

The other aspect of character is the ability to handle pressure, player's like Mickey Thomas, Liam Millar and Obertan were crushed by the weight of the United shirt.

Greenwood has ability in spades, his technical qualities are very high level. Hopefully he has the work ethic, desire and self belief to make the most of those gifts.
Agree. Let's hope that he will continue to work hard after he makes it here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Good post - other thing I would add is that Januzaj lacked top tier athletic ability and that was apparent from day one.

Having said that the hope was inspite of that he would have the mentality and work ethic to make up for that and he could end up an.Ozil Mata style of player as his technical ability was very strong.

Greenwood for me athletically seems strong - still hard to tell how quick he will be in the men’s game but certainly all round looks a better athlete than any of those names, which in addition to his technical ability should put him in good stead.

Mentally - anything could happen so that is probably the most unpredictable factor.

Trizy

Bingo. I fear that's a massive factor in all levels of sport but that's just the way some people are programmed to be lazy.

It's obviously a kick in the teeth for players who bust their balls trying to improve every day and still just not having the talent to make it.

Greenwood strikes me as someone who knows he's the shit but is still hungry. Confidence and greed for success is the perfect combination. Let's hope I'm right.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We usually agree. This is not an exception.

Thinking back, I remember people saying that Moyes were more willing to give youth a chance than Ferguson (probably thinking of Pogba). Most was very excited about it. But this was probably one of Fergusons best abilities; keeping young players feet at the ground. Januzaj would not have played much under Ferguson in 13/14 and maybe because of that he would have been a lot better player today.

We as fans are very eager to see young players get there debuts and game time. Coaches and managers have to think a bit differently and look into other aspects than just ability.

deadrevelz

Do we think Greenwood will be a big part of next season?

I'm slightly concerned that he might follow the route of Sancho and CHO of wanting first team football if not. I see this trend continuing with young players if they feel they can start for a decent team abroad.

Hopefully he will be a part of the domestic cups and Europa League if we're not in top 4, at the very least.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Do we think Greenwood will be a big part of next season?

I'm slightly concerned that he might follow the route of Sancho and CHO of wanting first team football if not. I see this trend continuing with young players if they feel they can start for a decent team abroad.

Hopefully he will be a part of the domestic cups and Europa League if we're not in top 4, at the very least.
Greenwood isn't approaching the end of his contract like they were. I imagine he'll have a part to play next season, especially if we miss out on Sancho/Hudson-Odoi which I think is ineviatable. We'd have seen more of him already if he hadn't kept getting injured.

Thiagoal

Watching the game last night I was wondering if Mason had suddenly grown a few inches? Looks much taller and gangly and may take a while for him to grow into his new body! Had a few balance issues yesterday too!

Status
Not open for further replies.