5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt007a

Played well today. Shame his finishing was off as that’s usually one of his strengths, but his touch, movement and application were excellent. Not easy to play when the rest of the team is so badly out of form and lacking in confidence. He’s only 17 and should be blooded in gradually. I’d like to see him getting a lot more minutes next season even if he’s not ready to start every week.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair I have stated multiple times he is not on KDB or Pogba level or even close to it. I have said I consider him to be able to be a GOOD Premier League player. Nothing higher then a Christian Eriksen level potentially either just under him or exactly the same.

Rashford, Adnan, the most recent but not just United I mean England as whole hypes up there players A LOT and most times they are ok players if that.
I’m sure most countries do but people watch the English league more than the others. Look at Spain: there are loads from there that were hyped up but never made the grade. There are loads from Portugal too: Veloso, Carvalho, Mario, Sanches etc.

The Nani

Quality debut performance. Shame he didn’t get his goal, but you’d have to be blind to not see what all the hype is about now.

The outside of the boot miss looked bad, but I think a right footed shot gets blocked by Peltier there. And I reckon that was his reasoning as well.

If that one around the 25 min mark goes in off the post, it’s a different day. And he made that from absolutely nothing. Unlucky.

Also silly that so many didn’t think he could help us down the stretch. You’d have thought he was the senior player amongst reserves today.

Sterling Archer

Should he be given the 7 or 9 jersey next season?
He was very very promising today. The only positive for me. But absolutely not.

He missed chances left and right that on another day might have gone in. That's fine, but you could see the frustration building for him. I loved it. He wanted to carry the team. And that's why we can't give him that burden with the 7 or 9. Nurture that attitude with real leaders around him and then in a few years time give him that responsibility.

Handré1990

He missed chances left and right that on another day might have gone in. That's fine, but you could see the frustration building for him. I loved it. He wanted to carry the team. And that's why we can't give him that burden with the 7 or 9. Nurture that attitude with real leaders around him and then in a few years time give him that responsibility.
Duchess, you are on the money! Let him earn that responsibility. Seemed like he wanted to.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
7's a curse these days anyway, steer well clear.

Ubik

Yeah, true.

Although the other 10 numbers are closing in fast when it comes to desecrating the memory of former players with the same shirt...
He should probably just keep 54, to be safe.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ole: “Mason Greenwood was brilliant, he was our best player by a mile and that says a lot about the kid. He came into the team with a lack of confidence and you can see that has take a total. Not surprised by his performance, we know he is capable of that.”

Well why didn't you play him more? Yet you didn't and stuck with Lingard.
He keeps getting small injuries that's why.

Loublaze

ATLien
People on here will turn on him in two seasons or less if he struggles to make his mark at this badly run club. The pressure on him is way too much already. Its inevitable

AJ10

Good performance, should have scored at least one. Created chances for his team mates/worked hard/ showed composure under pressure/ looks to have a footballing brain unlike Ronaldo wannabe/links up well.

Watch Lingard/Mata get more game time than Greenwood.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Looked lively and uncontaminated by the first teamers.

The Nani

It was a very good game from him, you can totally see what he's going for with that outside of the boot shot.
Yeah, it didn’t come off but he knew what he was doing as he was being closed down very quickly from the left. The audacity and ability to hit the ball so many different ways will serve him well.

17 year old van Persie.
And two-footed at that. MvG. :keano:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Looked very good. Anyone can miss. Once he sets himself a standard he will do better with some of those. Didn't seem to be any nerves. The ball didn't bounce off him. On another day, he would have done fine but what you can see is his involvement in the play, his running off the ball and his intelligence to pick a pass. The ability to be central or pull wide. He didn't walk into a confident/happy dressing room. That said, if he scored a goal or two in what amounts to a dead rubber - it's not proof of anything.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Cardiff didn’t know what to do with him at times. Nerves got the better of him in front of goal; but that’s OK, that’s to be expected of a 17 year old making his full team debut. Besides, we know his finishing is one of his best attributes. As long as he’s creating those opportunities we know the goals will follow.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah I'd give him #19 (not sure if anyone has it after Rashford went to #10?). Feel like that's a good number for younger forwards. Destined to be our future #9 though IMO. Love how he played today, even with the misses. Kept going, kept finding himself in chances, desperate for a goal, and excellent movement to get so many chances fall to him. How many times have we watched Lukaku this year play and literally not get a single chance all game? Or Rashford mainly have shots from range but not have that goalscoring knack/natural striker movement to drift into open spaces for a chance. Greenwood did it on multiple occasions.

His heading is probably his only weak point, everything else seems like he has in abundance. But given that he has a good height and frame at only 17, I'm not worried that he'll learn to improve massively with that and turn into a complete striker. The talent isn't the question at all with him IMO. It's the mentality, and it's if he avoids massive injuries so he doesn't get set back. The talent he has in absolute abundance, and he is definitely more complete as a striker than any of the attackers we have at the club (not saying he's already better, he's not as refined of course).

bosnian_red

Yeah, it didn’t come off but he knew what he was doing as he was being closed down very quickly from the left. The audacity and ability to hit the ball so many different ways will serve him well.

And two-footed at that. MvG. :keano:
More two footed than RvP but RvP himself definitely knew how to score with his right foot even if it wasn't as beastly with his left! Remains to be seen if Greenwood has it in him to get as much power on his strikes as RvP could, but we'll see. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think by the end of next season he'll force his way in and be a regular starter. Every future plan, team/squad, whatever, should have him in it. Some people on here aren't crazy about Rashford these days, but I can definitely see them forming a brilliant partnership and being a great strike partnership (or one wide of a front 3).

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Thought he had a good game today. First half he was nervous but still produced some nice moments. He'd have scored those chances if he was settled with a couple of games under his belt. Even the header, he'd have put that away for the youth teams.

Think he had that chance to just process everything at half time and settle his nerves a bit, because in the second half he started to look more like the player we know. He was looking for the ball more and looked like he wanted to drag us back into the game. It's a real shame this performance couldn't have come against Reading all those months ago so he could build on it in his next game. Looking forward to seeing him again in pre seaaon.

Ubik

Loved the bit in the first half where he accelerated past a couple on the left before pulling it back for Pogba (who could've scored if he wasn't on his heels), can't see it that well on the previous vid though because they've cut the top of the screen off. Even if the goals don't come yet, stuff like that is adding plenty.

The Nani

More two footed than RvP but RvP himself definitely knew how to score with his right foot even if it wasn't as beastly with his left! Remains to be seen if Greenwood has it in him to get as much power on his strikes as RvP could, but we'll see. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think by the end of next season he'll force his way in and be a regular starter. Every future plan, team/squad, whatever, should have him in it. Some people on here aren't crazy about Rashford these days, but I can definitely see them forming a brilliant partnership and being a great strike partnership (or one wide of a front 3).
I don’t see Rashford striking up a partnership with anyone at the moment. But I reckon Greenwood and Martial could be some pairing up top if we go with a diamond. Or if we were to sign Sancho we could basically go with a fluid front three.

The problem is that Greenwood is so young you can’t pencil him in every match yet. And with Martial and Rashford still showing major inconsistency, we have to bring in a striker as well.

Mcking

I loved what I saw. He will most likely turn to shite the more time he spends with the first team, but I expect big things from him. He should be in contention next season.

bosnian_red

I don’t see Rashford striking up a partnership with anyone at the moment. But I reckon Greenwood and Martial could be some pairing up top if we go with a diamond. Or if we were to sign Sancho we could basically go with a fluid front three.

The problem is that Greenwood is so young you can’t pencil him in every match yet. And with Martial and Rashford still showing major inconsistency, we have to bring in a striker as well.
Yeah it's a bit of a tricky situation, but whatever front 3 we go for long term, I would bet Rashford and Greenwood are both in there. Could be all 3 of Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, could be Sancho in for one of them if we manage to bring him in this summer or next summer, but we'll see. It's not perfect but I would be pretty OK with not signing an attacker this summer (past James). We need to revamp our midfield and defence. If we bring in 4 quality players there (something like Rice, Tielemans, Cancelo, Koulibaly), then our attack will be way better as a result.

Look at Liverpool. Alexander Arnold got 12 assists in the league alone, Robertson got 11. Shaw has like less than 5 in his career, whereas our right back (right flank really) is entirely non existent. We fix our back 4 and midfield on both sides of the ball, and I think the likes of Pogba, Martial, Rashford will show more consistency. If not, we focus on the attackers in summer 2020 anyway.

The Nani

Yeah it's a bit of a tricky situation, but whatever front 3 we go for long term, I would bet Rashford and Greenwood are both in there. Could be all 3 of Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, could be Sancho in for one of them if we manage to bring him in this summer or next summer, but we'll see. It's not perfect but I would be pretty OK with not signing an attacker this summer (past James). We need to revamp our midfield and defence. If we bring in 4 quality players there (something like Rice, Tielemans, Cancelo, Koulibaly), then our attack will be way better as a result.

Look at Liverpool. Alexander Arnold got 12 assists in the league alone, Robertson got 11. Shaw has like less than 5 in his career, whereas our right back (right flank really) is entirely non existent. We fix our back 4 and midfield on both sides of the ball, and I think the likes of Pogba, Martial, Rashford will show more consistency. If not, we focus on the attackers in summer 2020 anyway.
Mate, our attack stinks because our strikers are shite or not ready yet. We have to bring in a forward and a winger or we’re fecked next season.

bosnian_red

Mate, our attack stinks because our strikers are shite or not ready yet. We have to bring in a forward and a winger or we’re fecked next season.
In terms of goals scored and chances created, there isn't much between Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or United. That's why it's just not that pressing of an issue. The issue is we conceded 54 league goals more than Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Wolves, Everton, Leicester, Newcastle, Arsenal, Crystal Palace, and only 1 fewer than West Ham, 5 fewer than Cardiff. 11th in the league defensively, with not much splitting 9th to 13th. I guarantee you that our attack will look better with a better midfield that can actually control games and a proper defence that can act as a foundation for the rest of the team. We aren't going to challenge for the title next year, but we can push for 3rd and really develop as a side with the right defensive and midfield signings, while we let our young attackers develop a bit more and see if they can step up.

It just makes so much more sense to focus on fixing our midfield and defence this summer, and then see what's needed in the attack next summer. Going at it in in the opposite direction just doesn't make sense and it'd be repeating our issues the past 6 years because it won't give them the proper platform to succeed.

Lynty

People said he was two footed.

Obviously a lefty. Good right, but he's not as 'ambidextrous' as previously claimed. Playing at a higher level, with finer margins made it clear as day in my opinion.

RedCurry

Did everything right except putting the ball in the net. The technical ability is easy to see. The challenge he faces is that he’s very much a central striker by the looks of it and our team is crying out for width which he doesn’t exactly provide. To be able to play centrally, you have to be prolific.

He's clearly got that special something in his game,that special something I feel Rashford lacks at present.
I feel Rashford is still a more emotional player.I dont think he's as level-headed as he should be on occasions,playing wise that is.He needs to be more assured and calm.

Greenwood seems more aware of his and his team-mates movements for one and seems more adapt at playing the possession game.
Though clearly early days.

Last edited:

SteveW

I made a couple of what im sure looked like extremely hyperbolic posts about this guy a few months ago in this thread. I believe time will prove them correct. He's going to be a wonderful footballer. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

He's already good enough for the first team right now.

SteveW

Obviously a lefty. Good right, but he's not as 'ambidextrous' as previously claimed. Playing at a higher level, with finer margins made it clear as day in my opinion.
He pretty much always dribbles with his left. Two footed with shooting and passing generally. Probably favoured his stronger foot more today due to nerves but you'll struggle to find many more two footed players

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Nah he genuinely is, but I think with nerves he just decided to play it safe and stick to what feels more natural.

You don’t Score freekicks from 25 yards with a weak foot

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Wow.....well done you.

What is it with people. More interested in trying to be right than looking at the positives in a 17 year old home grown talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.