Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Don’t know why he wasn’t awarded man of the match yesterday. He scored, assisted and was all over the pitch pressing. Also scored the winning goal.
He also plays in the half space which gives pogba and AWB an outlet to pass too. Notice how AWB now has 2 assists in 3 games when playing with mason. Mason not hugging the touch line and mixing it up has elevated AWB.
Any of about 3 players could've been MOM yesterday and, in contrast with a few years back, none of them were De Gea. Good times.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Having both Sancho & Greenwood would be amazing. United fans are the only ones I ever see saying stuff like not sure it would be worth spending xyz on a top rate player/talent because we already have abc player.

Also, Rashford being better than Sancho is debatable.
Exactly. In current form we could bench Rashford and play Sancho on the left.

Imagine having one of Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood to come on off the bench? :drool:

meamth

I think the added muscles really helped him to achieve greater speed and acceleration.

That run was blistering fast.

meamth

He’s naturally left footed but he’s so good with his right it’s hard to tell. Takes free kicks with either and penalties with his right. Unbelievable.
I think it's the other way around, he said himself he is naturally right footed, but all those years of shooting practices made him favor his left foot more. One of a kind, our Mason.

ShinjiNinja26

I think it's the other way around, he said himself he is naturally right footed, but all those years of shooting practices made him favor his left foot more. One of a kind, our Mason.
I dunno I definitely think he’s left footed naturally, most of the information out there seems to suggest that. He favours his left slightly as well and takes penalties with his right because he missed one once with his left when he was 13, which I think sort of implies he naturally went with his left growing up. Either way it’s splitting hairs that fact we’re even debating it just shows how two footed he is. :lol:

He'sRaldo

He shouldn't be relegated to the bench anymore. We should plan for him being a first teamer next season, whatever the implications are regarding Sancho.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He could get 20 goals by the end of his first season. At 18 that would be incredible. physicality aside, he’s technically a lot better than Haaland

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Excellent game yesterday and seems to be growing in confidence with every passing game. When you watch him play, it doesn't feel like a kid out of the Academy being given a few minutes on the field to develop, he already feels like a first team player. Very similar to Wayne in how mature he is for his age.

United Hobbit

Really enjoyed watching him yesterday, I didn't realise he had shot for his goal at first as he was surrounded by the Brighton players then suddenly the ball is in the back of the net

I just hope we can continue keeping him grounded, I think we're being quite careful with him and not letting him do interviews etc. I'm guessing as he's still so young his form may drop at times but he's playing in a variety of scenarios eg starting and coming on as a sub so must be excellent for his development as each is posing different challenges to him

Said a lot when not Long after Ole joined he said he was the best finisher at the club and think he knows a thing or 2 about strikers! I wonder if Ole is spending time working with him as well

Its a shame every game remains vital still, as if we had nothing to play for having already secured top 4, we could perhaps give him a little go down the middle but I don't want us putting that much pressure on him yet and knocking his confidence. Would we be able to play a decent formation and perhaps have him as a 2 down the middle? That way he could possibly have someone like Ighalo even there just to support him and help him out a bit I'm just worried he'd possibly get a bit isolated if he was lone striker.

He'sRaldo

Its a shame every game remains vital still, as if we had nothing to play for having already secured top 4, we could perhaps give him a little go down the middle but I don't want us putting that much pressure on him yet and knocking his confidence. Would we be able to play a decent formation and perhaps have him as a 2 down the middle? That way he could possibly have someone like Ighalo even there just to support him and help him out a bit I'm just worried he'd possibly get a bit isolated if he was lone striker.
I get that he was a striker in the youth team, but I do think you can get swallowed up in the middle as a striker in men's football. I would rather Greenwood were on the wings where there's more space to make an impact and he can be involved for 90 minutes, instead of on the periphery trusting his teammates to get him the ball.

I wouldn't even mind if his longer term position was at RW, he's clearly very involved there and has more dynamic choices that at striker where sometimes it's a thankless job, especially against those very deep defences where you need patience for 90 minutes. Look at Martial, he's learning more and more to stay closer to the goal and although he's getting more opportunities, he's on the periphery a lot more unless he drops deep or exchanges with Rashford; he can't do the dribbles he used to. I wouldn't hurry to put Mason into that situation as his overall game is quite good, and it would be a bit of a waste at this stage.

United Hobbit

I get that he was a striker in the youth team, but I do think you can get swallowed up in the middle as a striker in men's football. I would rather Greenwood were on the wings where there's more space to make an impact and he can be involved for 90 minutes, instead of on the periphery trusting his teammates to get him the ball.

I wouldn't even mind if his longer term position was at RW, he's clearly very involved there and has more dynamic choices that at striker where sometimes it's a thankless job, especially against those very deep defences where you need patience for 90 minutes. Look at Martial, he's learning more and more to stay closer to the goal and although he's getting more opportunities, he's on the periphery a lot more unless he drops deep or exchanges with Rashford; he can't do the dribbles he used to. I wouldn't hurry to put Mason into that situation as his overall game is quite good, and it would be a bit of a waste at this stage.
That's a very valid point and completely see where you're coming from. That's why I'd only want to see him played down the middle for a bit, even a half even, only if we had already secured top 4. That way there would be no pressure on him but it would give him a little go at just seeing what it's like and the different things required of him to play that role in the first team, especially if Ole and Co were to sit down with him after and explain where he could improve what he could do differently etc. Then perhaps after 1 or 2 games put him back on the right so he can finish his already very good season on a high. That's also why I'd try and see if our set up would allow him to be part of a 2 if he went up front, just to give him some support

However we don't have the luxury of having qualified for top 4 so there are no games where we can allow him to do it just for the experience right now so I completely agree he needs to stay on the right for now. Plus if he can become proficient in another position it will only help his overall game. There's no way I'd want the pressure of giving him that role in a game where is matters on him performing at this stage of his career, especially as he is doing so well at the moment.

He shouldn't be relegated to the bench anymore. We should plan for him being a first teamer next season, whatever the implications are regarding Sancho.
he is a first team player. He’s been managed brilliantly by Ole, and that needs to continue, he shouldn’t be starting every game. What a great breakthrough season he’s had though, still only 18.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I think he's almost too good a player to be a striker now also.

In the modern game the wide men are used more as playmakers and goal scorers, strikers are generally just there to hold the ball up and get the finishing touches - Greenwood is too good for that.

His control, passing and dribbling is actually really well suited to an inside forward. He could quite happily end up being a Mo Salah type.

When we look at Martial he does a fantastic job as the hold up striker, but he's often isolated out of the game which is a shame as he's really good at building up also.

I was hestitant at first him playing RW thinking he was going to be stuck out there isolated, but with AWB pushing up so high allowing him to cut inside, he's so dangerous.

I was also happy to see when he switched to the LW for a while he was just as effective. Beautiful cross for Fernandes goal which is something Rashford couldn't do with his left.

This 3 month break has done him wonders, he no longer looks like a skinny boy but a young man.

Adam-Utd

Remember when people thought Greenwood was slow :lol:

Ibi Dreams

I'm not really sure, but it feels like outside of United fans nobody is really talking about how good he is. He's already quality and is delivering pretty consistently

Fosu-Mens

I'm not really sure, but it feels like outside of United fans nobody is really talking about how good he is. He's already quality and is delivering pretty consistently
Discussed him with a mate that supports Arsenal before the game yesterday. He stated that Martinelli was on par with Greenwood... I called him after the game. Safe to say his opinion had changed.

Idxomer

What separates him from what Rooney and Lukaku had done at a similar age or currently Haaland is that he's not a physical specimen like them and his technique is already superior and more consistent than what they displayed as teenagers.

ReallyUSA

Next year he will get his due. We needed more points earlier to draw attention.

romufc

Oh yes.. the time when our fans questioned a 18 year old who didnt start many games for us.

With youngsters, they need to be able to grow into a team. You can see the more starts he gets the more confidence he gets to play his game. Yesterday was a perfect example of him growing into the United team.

Not just his pace, his composure is something, even in our half he kept the ball and found the right pass more often than not.

Skeezix

Really surprised when people say that.

He has pace to burn when needed especially during counter attacks - eg Yesterday and against Watford where he left everyone behind and made 1-2 passes with Bruno to score a screamer.

Mason is an intelligent player, he would make quick passes with other players and make his runs or hold the ball rather than do a futile knock and run against 2/3 defenders to result in no end product.

His game is so developed for such a young age, (18 yrs?) the decisions he make, when to pass, run or shoot. The other players I can compare to regarding Decision making would be Messi and Mbappe (when they were 18,19 yrs old)

Reactions: roonster09

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I tend to agree. Monaco gave Mbappe a proper chance in 2016/17 somewhere in the middle of the season and never looked back. They won the title and reached the CL semi's.
Special talents deserve the minutes.

Adam-Utd

Really surprised when people say that.

He has pace to burn when needed especially during counter attacks - eg Yesterday and against Watford where he left everyone behind and made 1-2 passes with Bruno to score a screamer.

Mason is an intelligent player, he would make quick passes with other players and make his runs or hold the ball rather than do a futile knock and run against 2/3 defenders to result in no end product.

His game is so developed for such a young age, (18 yrs?) the decisions he make, when to pass, run or shoot. The other players I can compare to regarding Decision making would be Messi and Mbappe (when they were 18,19 yrs old)
This is what will make him a very special player. He's not only athletic but thinks very quickly. You can see how fast he takes a touch and then quickly lays it off without even debating it.

Similarly to Bruno/Pogba who just have that 6th sense / image in their brains about what they want to do before doing it.

His goal is a prime example of that - control, spin and straight away sprinting at the defender. He's decided already he's taking 2 step overs then banging it bottom corner, and hey presto it works.

Prodigal7

This is what will make him a very special player. He's not only athletic but thinks very quickly. You can see how fast he takes a touch and then quickly lays it off without even debating it.

Similarly to Bruno/Pogba who just have that 6th sense / image in their brains about what they want to do before doing it.

His goal is a prime example of that - control, spin and straight away sprinting at the defender. He's decided already he's taking 2 step overs then banging it bottom corner, and hey presto it works.
I think that’s hits the nail on the head as to what we needed and why we struggled pre Bruno. Bruno has forced everyone to engage their brain more by picking up the tempo of our game.

Rashford does seem to be struggling in this respect compared to the others at the moment but hopefully he cottons on to it soon, he’s been out for a while.

DoomSlayer

Phenomenal talent, I can actually see him becoming a modern wide forward, he's got everything in his locker. :keano:

I actually would not be disappointed if we end up not getting Sancho due to Dortmund putting a ridiculous price tag. We need top players for the squad, but we should not be so desperate as to overpay for a young player, when we might have someone of similar or higher quality in our ranks already.

In Rainbows

I think he's almost too good a player to be a striker now also.

In the modern game the wide men are used more as playmakers and goal scorers, strikers are generally just there to hold the ball up and get the finishing touches - Greenwood is too good for that.

His control, passing and dribbling is actually really well suited to an inside forward. He could quite happily end up being a Mo Salah type.

When we look at Martial he does a fantastic job as the hold up striker, but he's often isolated out of the game which is a shame as he's really good at building up also.

I was hestitant at first him playing RW thinking he was going to be stuck out there isolated, but with AWB pushing up so high allowing him to cut inside, he's so dangerous.

I was also happy to see when he switched to the LW for a while he was just as effective. Beautiful cross for Fernandes goal which is something Rashford couldn't do with his left.

This 3 month break has done him wonders, he no longer looks like a skinny boy but a young man.
If you were to transport 2013 RVP into this year or the next year, you would put him on the right instead of as a striker?

keener

As much as Fred and Matic proved me wrong, I've been redeemed by my faith in this kid. I love watching Greenwood play and as I've thought James has struggled, I've really loved what Mason brings to the team and wanted to see way more of him this season. During this COVID shutdown, my boys and I have made our "best" lineups, he's always in my XI.

I hope he becomes our staple at wing as his ability to use both feet could become unstoppable. Love this kid.

dbs235

Discussed him with a mate that supports Arsenal before the game yesterday. He stated that Martinelli was on par with Greenwood... I called him after the game. Safe to say his opinion had changed.
Arsenal fans are the kings of overrating their players. Other than David Luiz they think all their players are class, and then are constantly surprised when they're 3-0 down at home to Crystal Palace or whatever.

Adam-Utd

If you were to transport 2013 RVP into this year or the next year, you would put him on the right instead of as a striker?
RVP started as a winger at 16.
Id say a young rvp would play the inside forward role perfectly, but obviously he had great hold up play too.

I’m not saying greenwood won’t make a good striker but he can get involved in the build up play more and still score plenty from that position.

dal

I hope i'm wrong but the only downside I see is that he has this sort of odd body shape that when moving could put increased pressure on his ankles and knees. I know its an odd analysis maybe i'm just finding fault where there is none.

In Rainbows

RVP started as a winger at 16.
Id say a young rvp would play the inside forward role perfectly, but obviously he had great hold up play too.

I’m not saying greenwood won’t make a good striker but he can get involved in the build up play more and still score plenty from that position.
But this isn't about only playing Greenwood as a winger in his formative years. You guys said that you can see him in the future playing only as a rw and that he might be too good to play as a striker which sounds crazy to me like it's impossible for him to excel as a striker in the future.

I see his future as a striker similar to RVP. Nothing has changed my mind. I have no problem with playing him as a winger right now. However, as he matures I want him up top.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But this isn't about only playing Greenwood as a winger in his formative years. You guys said that you can see him in the future playing only as a rw and that he might be too good to play as a striker which sounds crazy to me like it's impossible for him to excel as a striker in the future.

I see his future as a striker similar to RVP. Nothing has changed my mind. I have no problem with playing him as a winger right now. However, as he matures I want him up top.
Playing as right forward, he will always gets the chance to face the goal. As a 9, he will end up playing most of the game with back to the goal. He might end up as great 9 but I like him as Right forward where defenders don't have a clue on which side he is going.

SinNombre

I do not understand the talk about how buying Sancho (or any other attacker of that ilk) would impede Mason's progress.

We need at least 4, if not 5, very good attackers for us to get back to the levels we as United should aspire to.

The last time we were at that level, in 2007-09, we had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berba/Saha, Giggs, Park and Nani.

Even with Sancho, we would only have 4.

Ideally we need Sancho and one more attacking player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Why would we play him as a striker when he can be a top player as an inside forward?

In Rainbows

Playing as right forward, he will always gets the chance to face the goal. As a 9, he will end up playing most of the game with back to the goal. He might end up as great 9 but I like him as Right forward where defenders don't have a clue on which side he is going.
When he gets even stronger, I don't see him playing with his back to goal as a negative. He's technically good and if anything he'll be more unpredictable or be given more chances to score from the middle. I don't see why Martial can do it, but Greenwood can't do it. Greenwood is the better finisher right?

You get more chances to score up top.

Why would we play him as a striker when he can be a top player as an inside forward?
Why would we play him as an inside forward when he can be a top player as a striker?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why would we play him as an inside forward when he can be a top player as a striker?
Well, he is currently playing at a high level as an inside forward. Your take is the speculative one, you said that you want him up even though that's not where he is currently performing and showing great promises. I'm just wondering why it would be better to have up front instead of where he currently is.

I see someone that could be a Ronaldo/Robben type of wide player and think that it is extremely valuable. Quality strikers aren't as rare as quality inside forwards.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When he gets even stronger, I don't see him playing with his back to goal as a negative. He's technically good and if anything he'll be more unpredictable or be given more chances to score from the middle. I don't see why Martial can do it, but Greenwood can't do it. Greenwood is the better finisher right?

You get more chances to score up top.
Not necessarily, it depends on the set up and with the way we are playing, I see him getting more chances from right side.

Re other bold part, it's not just about finishing. Greenwood won't get chance to run at defenders all the time if he plays as CF, his game will be restricted fighting with CBs for possession, unless he drops deep to get few touches on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.